Is the SEC still a power conference?

Does a bear shit in the woods??

I do understand the frustration though, perfectly normal. Good runs are good runs and they never last forever.

4 wins over ranked teams. The rest of the power 5 conferences had 2 combined. I hope the books overreact as much as the media and fans

4 wins over ranked teams. The rest of the power 5 conferences had 2 combined. I hope the books overreact as much as the media and fans

Who were the 4?

Bama over USC
UGA over UNC
TAMU Over UCLA

I can't come up with the 4th one unless App St was ranked in the preseason

Who were the 4?

Bama over USC
UGA over UNC
TAMU Over UCLA

I can't come up with the 4th one unless App St was ranked in the preseason

Guess it was 3. Thought I saw that graphic on Twitter. I'm not trying to be an SEC apologist, but I think there is a tab bit of an overreaction

Guess it was 3. Thought I saw that graphic on Twitter. I'm not trying to be an SEC apologist, but I think there is a tab bit of an overreaction

There's always a huge overreaction after week 1. Breaking it down and this is just an idiots opinion

Exceeded Expectations - Bama, Georgia
Around Expectations - Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss, SoCar, TAMU, Vandy
Below Expectations - Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Miss St, Tennessee

But again it was 1 week. It's really not fair to evaluate teams until after at least 4 games.

i think all teams should do this week 1

how fucking fun was that? and do home and homes and the Lambeaus

how fun is this week? booooooooooooooo

schedules are great huh BAR?

Pretty similar to what happened to B1G a couple of years ago in week 1

It wasn't that bad. Of course, I was bearish on UT, UF, and Mizzou, and they all lost to the number. No surprises there. I was bullish on Georgia, and they exceeded expectations, as did Alabama with the debut of Hurts. Auburn is better than I though as well. Arkansas had a big question mark at QB and were in a lookahead situation, so I give them a pass. I thought the LSU/Wisc line was a bit out of hand, but not enough to get me to bite in view of the question marks on both sides. Miss St is the only team that really disappointed me, although Prescott's phenomenal performance in the NFL preseason did suggest that there could be a big dropoff.

Overall, not much worse than I expected, though the conference continues to be overrated to the extent the East's reputation benefits unduly from its association with the West.

i think all teams should do this week 1

how fucking fun was that? and do home and homes and the Lambeaus

how fun is this week? booooooooooooooo

schedules are great huh BAR?

Keep in mind that the Big 10 just went to a 9-game conference schedule, and ESPN -- for unfathomable reasons -- wants the ACC to do the same. So enjoy it while it lasts. I would point out that the two conferences playing a 9-game schedule are the two that have been left out of the playoff the last two years. High-profile non-conference games are great for fans and for TV executives.

Keep in mind Alex started this just to be Alex.
As much as I don't think my heart can take another UCLA game, I don't get excited about playing prairie view . A non contender D1 is fine. But fcs vs fbs bores me.

Keep in mind that the Big 10 just went to a 9-game conference schedule, and ESPN -- for unfathomable reasons -- wants the ACC to do the same. So enjoy it while it lasts. I would point out that the two conferences playing a 9-game schedule are the two that have been left out of the playoff the last two years. High-profile non-conference games are great for fans and for TV executives.

that was the best opening week in history

the only team that still cannot get in the playoff OKlahoma(play Ohio St still, but even then be tough I imagine, but props to a helluva schedule)........all others still very much alive

and I hope Houston is alive.....should be. rest of schedule blows I guess, but great win

I think Oklahoma is still alive. If they win out, they will have beaten tOSU, Texas, Okie lite, TCU and Baylor. I imagine that will be a pretty stout resume in December. I think UCLA may be out, depending on what aTm ends up being. Hard to see the committee overlooking the blowout loss for USC. Notre Dame may be out of it too, but doubtful

I think Oklahoma is still alive. If they win out, they will have beaten tOSU, Texas, Okie lite, TCU and Baylor. I imagine that will be a pretty stout resume in December. I think UCLA may be out, depending on what aTm ends up being. Hard to see the committee overlooking the blowout loss for USC. Notre Dame may be out of it too, but doubtful

doubt that happens. OU and Stoops always choke, especially in games that matter IMO. I've already counted them out and with 3 losses for the year.

Yeah I don't think they'll make it, but not because they get left out with 1 loss. I think they are a 3 loss team

How much of the SECs reputation is based on the success of Saban and Meyer?

A lot of it, you would think. Obviously Richt is a solid coach but after that the consistency(add LSU) isn't there. And that is just like every other conference.

How much of the SECs reputation is based on the success of Saban and Meyer?
Well it is reputation based I guess....and like there is an East Coast bias for (insert here) there may be one in CFB for the SEC.
BUT, when you take into effect the success of Bama and LSU(inconsistent as BAR says, but I've been to 3 national Championship games, MNCs whatever you want to call em in my 38 year old life) TAMU joining the conference, Ole Miss' rise to quality and the fact that fucking Miss STATE was the number 1 team ranked at a point, and Auburn winning one and being in one championship......

You can see how it adds up.

Now, that's the West. The east had a run in the 90s, but I have to think FLA and UGA come back in a pretty big way and Tenny(maybe lol) figure it out.

But you get my point.

I do think the playing field has been leveled more recently, but for a while....it was undeniable you would have to say, the dominance.

Back to my post though.....did anyone seriously not enjoy that 1st weekend? The best opening weekend EVER, and it shook shit up. It helps teams like HOU get a shot at a playoff(clown can add a rant here, I'll let him)and teams like LSU(insert joke) or Ole Miss(more likely at the eye test at this point) STILL have a VERY likely shot at the college playoff...

A&M came in with B12 recruits and went 11-2. Missouri came in with B12 recruits and went to 2 title games.

SEC team beat an SEC team, therefore SEC team is good is a pile of crap. Miss St ranked 1 because it beat other SEC teams is the sort of shit that gets dealt up. Utah were ranked 1 last season and no one talks about Pac12 depth.

Tongue:

I'm just reporting and responding. Sadly, the whole country is down on the P12 it seems. I don't know if that is accurate or not.
I do know this. The conference gets shit on because of the late starts and many don't see the games. I don't think it's fair, but the same reason ND gets to stay independent and make the playoffs by their own rules is the same reason USC gets the benefit of the doubt and not your Beavers.....
I woulda thought you'd be happy about Messy getting that ranking, knowing it's possible and a perrenial bottom of the conf/div team get love like your guys one day(jk bro).

Also, look what has happened to those teams referenced since...Mizzou is awful and TAMU has gotten better recruits.
In all honesty, what is the correlation?

And I bet if you ask any aTm fan they will tell you that the move was the best thing for them. TAMU is a bigger name now than ever...Mizzou in the east, can't speak to it.....that team was number 1 at a point too....funny we mention off numero uni's ...had a bad loss to Okie and when the backyard bash(not being funny, just can't recall the rivalry name, although it is old and historic) and West By God shit the bed...you know the rest.

Starting to wonder if we should rank these guys pre season...better way?

Wait USC get the benefit of the doubt compared to who? Still dealing with the Reggie Bush thing, they were just in the wrong part of the country or that goes way the fuck away.

Reality is that because they're USC, maybe they recover in 7 years as opposed to 10, but who really knows? Coaching and administration is a mess, the Sark thing is all a product of this (imo) and they now have a head coach that may well be in over his head. They are thin...the loss of schollys shows, but they clearly still have top of the line athletes, just no depth.

The program will continue to suffer, however, until they really clean themselves of what happened in between. Sark's lawsuit (I believe, don't know) is still ongoing and they are a mess...this is all a product of that ruling.

You can't be serious twink, they got what many schools round you didn't get. Fucked by the NCAA.

As far as a ranking would go. My point is that USC would be the fave to get a benefit of the doubt ranking for a team in the P12.
As far as the scandals....I don't know enough about to comment if they were too aggregious or blatant( I saw 30/30, all I know about the bust)
But for Sneaky Petey to drop, stop, and roll.....he HAD to know what was coming..
Are you saying the NCAA plays faves for punishment? Not kidding, just curious. Meaning, I don't know if it's true one way or the other.

How would I know that lol, just going off recent history my man...it's a bit inconsistent imo

And make sure if you're on fire, you stop before you drop and roll :)

I'll even throw in Oregon just so it's not so regional, but Miami? Auburn?

USC got fucked, and I'm no fan of theirs.

Reality is that because they're USC, maybe they recover in 7 years as opposed to 10, but who really knows? Coaching and administration is a mess, the Sark thing is all a product of this (imo) and they now have a head coach that may well be in over his head. They are thin...the loss of schollys shows, but they clearly still have top of the line athletes, just no depth.

The program will continue to suffer, however, until they really clean themselves of what happened in between. Sark's lawsuit (I believe, don't know) is still ongoing and they are a mess...this is all a product of that ruling.

You can't be serious twink, they got what many schools round you didn't get. Fucked by the NCAA.

Alabama got shit on by the NCAA in the 90's. All started with Antonio Langham signing a napkin after beating Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Then they granted immunity to Phil Fulmer and Tennessee so they would testify in the Albert Means ordeal. Rogue booster plus repeat violator and boom, decimated the program. Tried to do it again with the textbook stuff in 2007, but luckily we had much stronger leadership by then. We always though self reporting would get lighter punishments, but Auburn showed the way to beat the SEC in 2010. Deny, deny, deny and make them prove it. That's why the other schools have gotten off easier. And why Ole Miss won't get much

Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. And in fairness, USC athletics had the double whammy with the OJ Mayo thing around that time although that wouldn't play into the football sanctions, but it obviously affected the athletic dept as a whole

Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. And in fairness, USC athletics had the double whammy with the OJ Mayo thing around that time although that wouldn't play into the football sanctions, but it obviously affected the athletic dept as a whole

When Alabama had the textbook thing, the reason we had to vacate all of the wins in 2007 was because we were in the repeat violator window, from violations committed by the women's basketball and track programs. Nothing to do with football. So I imagine the OJ Mayo stuff played in a little bit to the football punishment

Back