Is South Carolina still a play...

Mags

The Magsnificent One
@ -14? I waited this fucker out too long, thought I could still get it at 13x but it's now 14 @ my book. Anyone have any strong thoughts (either way)?

:popcorn:

South Carolina - 17 or under = PLAY!

NC State will have trouble putting up points, to make it even tougher they are playing one of the best defense in the league that now also has team captain Jaspeur back,whom was out most of last season and hes a huge part of that defense. South Carolina still proved they were one of the best on defense without their best defensive player! To make it even tougher on NC State, they are playing in the Gamecocks HOUSE!
GL:tiphat:

I don't think I would play SC-17, actually I know I wouldn't but Mags I think this game ends 31-13 or 31-10 or something along those lines so its your call with what you do there.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess my biggest concern for SC is at QB, not sure, but I don't think this kid played much or at all last year. I assume their defense will play well like you said AND NCST is very young on offense. Am beginning to think that the UNDER may be the best play in this one. Any thoughts from that perspective? :popcorn:

I don't think I would play SC-17, actually I know I wouldn't but Mags I think this game ends 31-13 or 31-10 or something along those lines so its your call with what you do there.

Bro, just the person I was looking for. What's the deal with SC's QB this year? Any playing experience? I know their D will be exceptional, what about offensive explosion? Was thinking UNDER 45 due to NCST's lack of offense, SC's defense and POSSIBLY SC's lack of experienced playmakers...am I thinking the right things here?

Bro, just the person I was looking for. What's the deal with SC's QB this year? Any playing experience? I know their D will be exceptional, what about offensive explosion? Was thinking UNDER 45 due to NCST's lack of offense, SC's defense and POSSIBLY SC's lack of experienced playmakers...am I thinking the right things here?

SC QB:

He is in his 4th year of Spurrier's system, he is a VERY smart kid, and he has a full grasp of the offense. His arm is stronger than Smelley's, he can make all the throws, and he is deceptive with his speed. He has some mobility but he is not a running QB by any means. He has maybe 30 attempts in his career and the main reason he wasn't given a real shot last year is because he lacked the confidence in himself. Spurrier named him the starter in the spring and that really changed the way he carried himself all summer. In summer practices it was a no-brainer who the #1 QB was. His job as the SC QB is to "manage the offense" which means he makes smart decisions, he doesn't play outside of his capabilities, and he is a leader out there, all of which the staff feels he can do. He has had extensive work with one of the best QB coaches in America (Spurrier) and he will be given every chance to go the distance in this game so he doesn't have to play looking over his shoulder.

The under....I loved when the # came out and it was 50 but that was never available to me and by the time the line was available to me, it was already like 46 and from a value stand point for myself, just knowing that I missed out on 4 points, I couldn't play it, on top of already being on SC-12 in the game. I do believe the under looks good, my 1 concern would be easy points coming off turnovers but I really don't see SC putting up 34+ points or anything, more like 31 and I do believe NCST will have trouble putting touchdowns on the board, and their kicker has never kicked a field goal before.

ETG - really appreciate the feedback bro, it's helpful! Now, deciding whether to lay the points or take the UNDER. Figured that Spurrier would have a more than capable QB in the mix, really like the defensive unit as well....maybe play both and a small parlay:)

BOL on the season to ya!

I really think the game will tend to be more of a low scoring game. I believe Spurrier will try to keep this game more on the ground against NC State young front 7 linemen and keeping passing attempts under 15.

South Carolina 28
NC State 10

Whatever you decide, good luck man!:cheers:

I really think the game will tend to be more of a low scoring game. I believe Spurrier will try to keep this game more on the ground against NC State young front 7 linemen and keeping passing attempts under 15.

South Carolina 28
NC State 10

Whatever you decide, good luck man!:cheers:

:36_11_6: that's fucking great, was thinking the EXACT SAME THING!

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess my biggest concern for SC is at QB, not sure, but I don't think this kid played much or at all last year. I assume their defense will play well like you said AND NCST is very young on offense. Am beginning to think that the UNDER may be the best play in this one. Any thoughts from that perspective? :popcorn:

Fuck. . . I had a long write up but my internet screwed up. Here goes a shortened version

I'm on SC -12 already, but I'd take it at 14 or under.

I honestly think that if this line gets under 44, I'm going to be on the over as well. I think SC will be playing a lot of short fields with that defense, and NCST will have a lot of 3 and outs. Plus, you have to think that with Spurrier losing 5 straight to close out the year, he's not going to let up whatsoever if he gets a chance to pour it on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a 37-13 type final. I'm interested in seeing what the SC TT will be as well, as I think this game is one sided

One thing of note, it's been raining a LOT here (I'm in Greenville about 1.25 hrs away) due to the trop storm bands, so check the weather before locking in

GL man

Fuck. . . I had a long write up but my internet screwed up. Here goes a shortened version

I honestly think that if this line gets under 44, I'm going to be on the over as well. I think SC will be playing a lot of short fields with that defense, and NCST will have a lot of 3 and outs. Plus, you have to think that with Spurrier losing 5 straight to close out the year, he's not going to let up whatsoever if he gets a chance to pour it on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a 37-13 type final. I'm interested in seeing what the SC TT will be as well, as I think this game is one sided

One thing of note, it's been raining a LOT here (I'm in Greenville about 1.25 hrs away) due to the trop storm bands, so check the weather before locking in

GL man

Good assessment G8r8, Keep us posted on the rain, friends I talked to in Columbia said it should not be an issue, only looking at about 30% and nothing too serious

One other note, I think new DC Ellis Johnson will want to show everyone that we can stop the run since thats all anyone has said in the off season.

This is an except from NCST Radio show that someone posted:

Let me say this...I was driving down from Va two days from work for this game and was fortunate to hear the NC state radio heads for a short while. They mentioned that a healthy gamecock defense would be far too much for the wolfpack to stand up against. They also mentioned that the Wolfpack O Line was not as good as most believe and that they had all kinds of trouble run blocking a year ago and have had the same issues in fall camp.

At the time of Jamelle Eugene was going to play but they did say that Andre Brown was not exatly healthy coming into this game and also mentioned that Daniel Evans would get some opportunities to run the offense this game. Evans is more of a pocket guy with experience.

As far as there defense goes...They felt like NC State would also be severely outmatched there as well because of lack of experience and numerous question marks in certain positions I can not exactly say.

They went on to say that the USC fan base was one of the best in the entire country and that this NC State team had far too many question marks and glaring holes to go down into the hostile environment and win this game.

Take it for what it is just thought that it was interesting that they made these comments.

NCST
08/26 3:33pm RB Jamelle Eugene Ankle is expected to miss Thursday vs South Carolina.
08/26 3:31pm SS Javon Walker Knee out indefinitely.
08/22 9:26am QB Russell Wilson None has beeen named starter.
Redshirt freshman Russell Wilson will start at quarterback for NC State in the 2008 season opener against the South Carolina Gamecocks in Columbia, S.C, head coach Tom O'Brien announced.
08/13 5:44am S Clem Johnson Jaw expected to miss entire season
08/13 5:39am RB Toney Baker Knee is out indefinitely
08/10 6:30am TE Anthony Hill Knee is probable
South Carolina
Date Pos Player Injury Status
08/27 4:46am S Darian Stewart Foot is upgraded to probable
08/24 3:30am RB Mike Davis Shoulder is upgraded to probable
08/13 9:59am OT Jamon Meredith Eligibility expected to miss first two weeks of season
08/13 6:06am TE Jared Cook Toe is probable
08/12 5:17pm QB Stephen Garcia Ankle is upgraded to probable

NCST really short at RB starting RS freshman Qb on the road vs. a formidable defense. I like SC and the under in this one.

for SC, Stewart, Davis, Cook are all playing

Everyone from State w/ an injury, except Hill, is out

This thread is going as expected, thanks to all for their inputs. ETG, any concern out there regarding the mobility of the NCST QB? Last question, I promise:)

GL man

Great stuff, thanks man and BOL to you as well!

:cheers:

This thread is going as expected, thanks to all for their inputs. ETG, any concern out there regarding the mobility of the NCST QB? Last question, I promise:)

Last yr, yes

This yr, no

Mobile QB's & the spread are the reason we are running a 4-2-5 as our base defense this year. Sure we will run some 4-3 but you will see a lot more 4-2-5 w/ Culliver (S) adding a lot of speed to the secondary and D. Stewart (S) playing a "hybrid" type LB position.

I also don't think Wilson is that kind of runner, I think he uses his speed to escape the pocket and roll out but he isn't looking to run first. Just can't let him pick up any first downs with his feet in a 3rd and long situation.

Last yr, yes

This yr, no

Mobile QB's & the spread are the reason we are running a 4-2-5 as our base defense this year. Sure we will run some 4-3 but you will see a lot more 4-2-5 w/ Culliver (S) adding a lot of speed to the secondary and D. Stewart (S) playing a "hybrid" type LB position.

I also don't think Wilson is that kind of runner, I think he uses his speed to escape the pocket and roll out but he isn't looking to run first. Just can't let him pick up any first downs with his feet in a 3rd and long situation.
SOLD :cheers:

Good assessment G8r8, Keep us posted on the rain, friends I talked to in Columbia said it should not be an issue, only looking at about 30% and nothing too serious

One other note, I think new DC Ellis Johnson will want to show everyone that we can stop the run since thats all anyone has said in the off season.

This is an except from NCST Radio show that someone posted:

I'm going to go to this game and the Vandy game in Nashville next week.

If anyone can throw me a bone and tell me how to post on here with a Blackberry curve, I'll post field and weather conditions with the seriousness of JoeBren's weather scouts when I'm there. :tiphat:

I'm going to go to this game and the Vandy game in Nashville next week.

If anyone can throw me a bone and tell me how to post on here with a Blackberry curve, I'll post field and weather conditions with the seriousness of JoeBren's weather scouts when I'm there. :tiphat:
I have one and have no clue, sorry bro :36_11_6:

Let's see if this works

Posting from the Blackberry. Using Opera browser, testing emoticons too. 'an_horse'

g8rb8

where you guys tailgating at? Im in rock Hill pulling out of here about 2.
Cant wait I can already smell college football

Mags- get opera browser, that's where u can do it. Its a little tedious, but it works just like your computer. I think you can go to operamini.com on your phone browser and do it that way

Tiger- not sure about tailgating honestly. My girlfriend's family is high up the Carolina food chain (the seats are 6 rows up on the 48 yardline), so they have assigned parking and all that. We probably won't do too much since we have to make the drive back to greenville tonight and I probably won't leave greenville tonight until 5 or so. I'll be going to the UGA and LSU games there though, and I usually go as early as possible (since they are weekend games and I don't take time off work) and get plowed with my Carolina buds in the fairgrounds somewhere

Back