Iowa vs Michigan State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Sweat and tears. Please don't be too harsh on me at this point in the semester. Got a test to study for and a small essay in German to write. Community first: as always feel free to correct any mistakes or debate any points. Discussion always fun and deeply appreciated. Very curious what BAR thinks about this as I have seemed to miss where his discussion on this game is located that he alluded to in his thread. BOL

Picking Your Spots: Back Michigan State to Cover vs Heartbroken Iowa

Michigan State (2-1) opens up Big 10 Play on Saturday at 4:00 PM ET at home against Iowa (3-1). The Spartans opened as 2.5 point favorites, but quickly became 3.5 point favorites, despite strong public action on Iowa. The game total is around 45 points.

Iowa's defense gave everything they had at home against #4 Penn State and so much went their way. Star linebacker Josey Jewell had a career game in various statistical categories. Their pass rush finally showed up. Their defense was astoundingly efficient in the Red Zone. And yet they came up short. Trace McSorely's touchdown pass on the last play of the game procured the win for Penn State.

Michigan State's level of talent was masked by a sloppy and rusty performance off of a bye week in their first big game of the season at home against Notre Dame. Three first-half turnovers and massive penalty yardage prevented them from competing with the sound and very efficient Irish.

Both teams produced polar opposite performances that will mislead bettors who attach too much significance to a single game.

Iowa's most significant offensive asset is its physicality. Iowa's offensive line boasts three returning starters and significant depth and versatility from athletes who can play multiple positions. This experienced group was awarded last season as the best offensive line, primarily for helping produce two 1,000 yard rushers.

One of those 1,000 yard rushers is back: Akrum Wadley is Iowa's versatile workhorse out of the backfield and quarterback Nathan Stanley's top receiving target.

Stanley is Iowa's prototypical pocket passer with a live arm but without any playmakers besides Wadley.

The Spartans like to foreground the rush attack early with LJ Scott. Scott is physically impressive with his combination of speed, power and receiving skills. He is most known for his domination of Ohio State and Michigan last season, but has yet to show anything this season.

Scott's difficulties may stem from his offensive line, which lacks experience and proven ability, outside of senior center Brian Allen.

Thankfully, the Spartans boast a mobile quarterback in Brian Lewerke, who is capable of making big plays in and outside of the pocket but needs to limit his turnovers and improve his leadership skills.

Michigan State's wide receivers are likewise young, but several of them boast promising talent and upside. Sophomore Trishton Jackson developed the most chemistry in the Spring with Lewerke. Jackson boasts impressive speed, length and agility that makes him a viable threat down the field. But, he is also capable of succeeding on shorter passing routes, which makes him all the more important should Iowa choose to blitz as often as they did against Penn State.

Iowa's defensive line seems to be the game-changer considering the questions surrounding Michigan State's offensive line and their dominance against Penn State. AJ Epensa is an explosive and athletic five-star recruit at defensive end who rotates with the undersized but physical Parker Hesse and whose counterpart is Anthony Nelson, who achieved 2.5 sacks against Penn State.

Iowa's linebacking corps is led by its top defensive playmaker Josey Jewell, who was second in the Big 10 in tackles last year and has already won defensive player of the week twice (both home games) this season.

Iowa's inexperienced secondary is led by Manny Rugamba. Last season, quarterbacks' passer rating was 42.5 on passes thrown in Rugamba's direction.

Michigan State will want to utilize Scott between the tackles and take advantage of its depth at wide receiver.

Defensively, the Spartans need to concentrate on containing Iowa's rushing attack. The Spartans' pass rush, last season, was anemic. But the defense showed promise by achieving seven tackles for loss against Notre Dame.

Mike Panasiuk and Raequan Williams are the Spartans' reliable and experienced defensive tackles. Initial walk-on Kenny Willekes has been a positive surprise at defensive end and showed why he earned a scholarship by achieving ten tackles against Notre Dame. Willekes is versatile and athletic, in that he is not only explosive off the edge but excels at defending the screen and swing game.

The Spartans' linebacking corps is stacked with rising star Joe Bachie and "psycho" Chris Frey, who led the Spartans with 96 tackles last season.

The Spartans' secondary is very inexperienced, which could be a good thing after last season's debacle. They will benefit from improvement among the defensive line, which will leave them less vulnerable in pass coverage. They have already shown upside, by being the second most pass efficient defense after the first two games against MAC opponents. They face likewise minimal threat from Iowa's wide receiving corps.

The Verdict

Dating back to last season, Kirk Ferentz's squad has an unambiguous history of coming out flat after emotional outcomes-- be it an upset victory or a heartbreaking defeat. The Spartans have been most dangerous in the first half and they will want to come out concentrated after a sloppy beginning last week. Expect a balanced offensive attack to control possession and an improving defense to contain Iowa's rush attack.

NCAAF Pick: Michigan State 1H

I think it is interesting because I think the Iowa front 7 is their strength and I think the MSU front 7 is their strength. Moreover, I prefer the Iowa front 7. But I think the weakness of both defenses is their respective secondaries and I think MSU is better equipped right now to exploit it than Iowa is. My problem is the number is not off, so while I think MSU finds a way here, I find it very difficult to lay a FG or more.

Nice article and I will be cheering for your 1h play

Ya I would have possibly tapped -2.5 but I couldn't cross the key number. I think the 1h angle is valid, anyways. I love Iowa's defensive line on paper while I worry about Sparty's protection. Normally this would be the kicker for an Iowa bet. I just don't think the intensity will be there. And I agree, Sparty has the superior passing attack to exploit Iowa's secondary besides Mugamba. I do also think Sparty has an advantage against the middle of Iowa's defensive line. I like the upside in Sparty's secondary, which I think has already proven able to contain lower-tiered wide receivers.

Thanks m8. I know plenty, including you, do plenty of solid write-ups despite probably busy lives...sorry for being a whiner :)

Really like the game, but lack a feel right now from a betting point of view. I do lean Mich St to win, don't like the 3.5...think it is reasonable for them to go into the half with a lead. Appreciate the time, feel like I know more, especially about MSU having read your post. LJ Scott needs to stop fumbling going into the EZ!

Lol Frey told Scott off about that on the sidelines but Lewerke was just like "i do it too don't worry" so I don't think Lewerke is much of a leader (yet)

Holmes and London are on hand as well, but Scott has always had the most upside. 3 fumbles in 3 games this year, two keeping pts off the board!

Just looked up their numbers, surprised that Lewerke leads the team in rushing so far!

Just some quick points to ponder...

-Michigan State Super Bowl is next week. They would take another 3-9 season as long as they win that game. I am not trying to hype it up. UM is their main rival (other than Rutgers and Indiana). This means everything to them.

-This is MSU's 4th home game to open the season. After that, 4 of the next 6 are on the road. That ends with a brutal b2b set against OSU/PSU. This is the meat of the schedule. This is a huge game for them if they want to be bowl eligible.

-Iowa mentality after last week...that is really the key thing to me here. Do they have the fortitude to overcome a heartbreaking loss in a game they almost 'stole'?

-The Michigan State issues that were a concern preseason are still a concern...Oline, secondary and Lewerke turnovers being the main ones.

-Speaking of LJ Scott...

LJ Scott walked into the meeting room Monday at the Michigan State football facility and found a surprise resting in front of his seat.

It was a football placed there by co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach Dave Warner, and it's now Scott's responsibility to carry everywhere in the facility throughout this week. Meanwhile, it's his teammates' responsibility to try to punch the ball out of Scott's hands, whether he's walking to a meeting or just hanging out in the locker room.

Agree that the key factor here is how Iowa responds to last week. I like Sparty here too but at 3.5 I feel like the market has found the correct line. Not sure there's any value left here. I may play it small or if it backs up to 3.

BOL vc

Back