Iowa State vs Oklahoma State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Expect Low-Scoring Thriller Between Oklahoma State and Iowa State

No. 11 Oklahoma State (7-2) travels to No. 15 Iowa State (6-3) with dashed playoff dreams and frustration after losing to rival Oklahoma. They play Saturday at noon ET. The Pokes are favored by 7. The game total is 62.

The main source of Oklahoma State's offensive production is its passing attack. However, quarterback Mason Rudolph has been struggling: in the past three weeks his Pokes scored a season-low 13 points against Texas, he threw a season-low 216 yards against an inexperienced West Virginia secondary and completed barely half of his passes against the softest of Oklahoma secondaries.

The key for opposing defenses has been to drop more defenders into coverage in order to challenge Rudolph's accuracy. Rudolph's issues with accuracy had been masked by the talent of his wide receivers. But Iowa State can continue to foreground his issues with their transition to a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 defense. Lockdown cornerback Brian Peavy leads the Cyclones' secondary with 6 passes defensed.

Like TCU, against whom the Pokes were behind 34-17 after 3 quarters before TCU's coverage softened, and against Texas, coverage schemes that feature a lot of defensive backs are often vulnerable to the deep pass. Rudolph's weakness as a passer is his accuracy with deep passes. Iowa State won't put Rudolph under much pressure, which Rudolph responds well to, but, like TCU and Texas, they will make Rudolph struggle to establish the short and intermediate passing game.

Oklahoma State's increased reliance on its rushing game has made it less of a big-play team. In their past 3 games, they average 5.7 yards per play, despite their shootout with the soft Sooners, which would place them outside the top 40.

The Cowboys' defense looks horrible if you only look at the scoreboard and if you account for their struggles last week against perhaps the most prolific offense. But before last week they held West Virginia to two offensive touchdowns, one coming in garbage time, they held Texas to 10 points, and Texas Tech to 3 offensive touchdowns.

As a rush defense, their problems have come against the speedy backs who are able to find isolation in open space and use their athleticism to break away from the defense. So the Pokes' least favorite back has been TCU's Darius Anderson. But they have contained the more physical runners, such as Texas Tech's Justin Stockton and West Virginia's Justin Crawford. Iowa State's David Montgomery falls into the latter category.

Iowa State's offense has become much more conservative under quarterback Kyle Kempt. In the past three games, the Cyclones average 9.2 yards per pass, which would rank them dead last. This conservatism plays into the hands of an Oklahoma State defense who has proven most vulnerable against a big-play aerial attack that is supported by a balanced offense, such as that of Oklahoma.

The Cyclones' conservative offense will allow Oklahoma State's defense to keep the game in front of them, where they can utilize their physicality to contain a Cyclones team that has hit 4 straight 'unders.'

Free safety Tre Flowers is the Pokes' leader in both tackles and passes defensed.

The Verdict

Oklahoma State's offense has struggled to retain character against a defensive scheme that is laden with defensive backs and plays tighter coverage. The Pokes' defense is underrated and matches up optimally against a more conservative and physical Iowa State offense. The Cyclones' defense will lead a low-scoring upset bid against a Cowboys squad that is likely demoralized after an emotional rivalry loss that dashed its playoff hopes. This game presents a nice opportunity for a correlated 'under' and underdog parlay.

NCAAF Pick: Iowa State +7 And 'Under' 62

Last edited:
Who are these mysterious guests who are viewing threads? are they members not caring to log in or does ctg get a lot of non-talkative traffic? Hellooooo guests

Or a native american joke because they all got dragged to oklahoma and poke sounds like pocahantas

Can the linguistically superior @B.A.R. help me out?

pokes is nickname for cowboys i.e. cowpokes

i bleed orange and your articles have been pretty damn spot on concerning my squad all year.

i couldn't bet clone because of their firepower issues and teams like theirs usually run out of gas as year rolls on.

this game begs you to take the dog for reasons you've alluded to, but i'm real picky and want the better team plus points.

Hoping the other team comes out flat is not in my wheelhouse.

i haven't capped a total since i hammered an uga/scaro sec "slugfest" early season under a decade ago that sailed over in the first half.

62 does looks like a ton of points here

good luck with your action

pokes is nickname for cowboys i.e. cowpokes

i bleed orange and your articles have been pretty damn spot on concerning my squad all year.

i couldn't bet clone because of their firepower issues and teams like theirs usually run out of gas as year rolls on.

this game begs you to take the dog for reasons you've alluded to, but i'm real picky and want the better team plus points.

Hoping the other team comes out flat is not in my wheelhouse.

i haven't capped a total since i hammered an uga/scaro sec "slugfest" early season under a decade ago that sailed over in the first half.

62 does looks like a ton of points here

good luck with your action
Haha the Garcia game 37-41 loss. Granted that was off of like 4 years in a row of way under but yea that game was insane.

Thanks for the expert opinion amigo. Just wanted to clarify I pin my pick not primarily on educated guess of ok state mentality or washington's health which i assume will be fine but on consistent issues of Rudolph. Why do you assune ISU though to let-down? They show no signs? Great team with second-half adjustments and they shut out wvu last week in 2h

Thanks for the expert opinion amigo. Just wanted to clarify I pin my pick not primarily on educated guess of ok state mentality or washington's health which i assume will be fine but on consistent issues of Rudolph. Why do you assune ISU though to let-down? They show no signs? Great team with second-half adjustments and they shut out wvu last week in 2h

i didn't mean to pigeon hole the factors in your selection by why it wouldn't be mine

sorry if it came across that way

as for clone and their state

they'll be ready to play they are hard nosed gap sound and i really like their coach.

that being said they've rolled bunches of sevens

14 pt swings and penalties vs frog,
zero u raced out to early big lead then fell asleep
clone had problems vs horn D.

i see this as a step up in class
clone now a known quantity

just my .02

Hehe zero u :) love it

Would like to suggest that ou didn't so much fell asleep as that isu adjusted by spying baker and that really hurt him, then he kept holding onto the ball too long trying for the big play

Hehe zero u :) love it

Would like to suggest that ou didn't so much fell asleep as that isu adjusted by spying baker and that really hurt him, then he kept holding onto the ball too long trying for the big play

sure that's what happened

but that's the one time in ten clone would beat zero u

Who are these mysterious guests who are viewing threads? are they members not caring to log in or does ctg get a lot of non-talkative traffic? Hellooooo guests

I know you would like more discussion in your threads.

Not sure what the other CTG forums are like here, but elsewhere I see in a music and automotive forum I used to frequent, they are just dying off. Don't know if it is more people are on mobile devices or tablets and don't care to type alot? Or people just moving to twitter for stuff? Or nobody has time, or whatever. I think back a couple years ago how much action there was by so many people in the forum, now it's just a small group talking to eachother (or sometimes talking to ourselves). When I go away after bowl season I wonder if the forum will still be here next season?

Especially important with a small number of people, it's only going to be as good as we make it, together. All those 'guests' viewing content, the lack of action is going to lead to even less content. So sign up, log in and say something and join the fun.

Sorry to derail..not sure where I feel on this game at the moment. Probably have something more productive later.

Some people post here throughout the offseason. I don't. Bowls end and then I come back late summer.

Just with so few people posting now compared to before, what is it going to be like next year? Will there be enough people to even keep it going? I just come to the college football forum so maybe the other forums here have alot more activity I don't know.

Vc - I read everything on this site. Don’t always comment. Usually means I agree. You seem to be set on whatever you post. I mean this is content for a syndicate, so okay. I would like to see how these post have produced. Do you keep track, or just collect the check and move on to the next assignment? If you have numbers, would love to see them.

I'm supposed to act confident in what I post for my readers, my bosses want an authoritative read. So i'm not going to dilly dally about the doubts that obviously exist for my pick as well as any other pick. Dilly dallying is what the forum offers the medium for. Just going to explain the reasoning. But i'm willing to make adjustments before publication the following day. And I stay honest, even if I don't dilly dally. Like if a team that I want to back is strong at running but the other team is strong at run defense, I won't just mention the strong running and leave out the strong run defense, I'll talk about neither and just focus on what I think the decisive edge is for my pick.
I just collect the check and move on. I'd have to go back to calculate the record. Not that I don't care if i'm right. I always try to improve my capping, I mean I put money on my picks, too. But my primary concern, what is most expected of me, is to provide information that is hard (or just time-consuming) to find, give a logical and confident reasoning for my pick, such that whoever wants to make a play on the game has intelligent guidelines available that are unique and a pick that he can and should feel confident in.

I probably would've overlooked either way on the total; your case for the under is good.

Ok St could still manage their way into the Big Xll title game. Would either need the loser of Sat's TCU-OU game to lose once more, or, maybe more realistic, is find themselves in a 3-way tie with the TCU-OU loser and some other team with 2 conference losses.

Coaches are always playing up the 'we still have a lot to play for' angle, and there is still a chance OkSt can win the Big Xll.

I probably would've overlooked either way on the total; your case for the under is good.

Ok St could still manage their way into the Big Xll title game. Would either need the loser of Sat's TCU-OU game to lose once more, or, maybe more realistic, is find themselves in a 3-way tie with the TCU-OU loser and some other team with 2 conference losses.

Coaches are always playing up the 'we still have a lot to play for' angle, and there is still a chance OkSt can win the Big Xll.

I find it comparable mathematically to psu's situation after losing to osu. still in it technically but super unrealistic. No way ou loses to tcu then wvu at home

Good writeup, Cavs. I would add a few more points.

1. I don't give Ok State credit for their defense against WV. Grier turned in the most pathetic performance I've seen by any QB this year. 4 Interceptions, dropped the snap three times, and threw at least a dozen passes into the ground or out of bounds when guys were open.
2. Washington may be out this week.
3. Ok State has had problems with their kicker all year.
4. Game is at 12 EST and the early games were going under at almost 80% the first part of the year and are still close to 70%
5. Ok State has not performed well ATS the week after they play OU, including 0-5 the last five years.
6. Weather may be a factor.

dilly dally. dilly dally. oy. oy. oy.

dillydilly.jpg

Gracias Tahoe!

CTG should have a double like button to separate the mere polite from the awesome

Earlier it sounded optimistic like he would be getting out of his boot and practicing. But man reports can be so deceiving! And the mendacity of coaches doesn't help. He's obviously a big deal since Rudolph needs his receivers to make great plays

Lately it seems like the Bedlam game was last of the season so wasn't sure what to make of this being the week before. I can't imagine the game after being a good spot. Preparation is big in football and this is one that the players may have still been thinking about during preparation

Good writeup, Cavs. I would add a few more points.

1. I don't give Ok State credit for their defense against WV. Grier turned in the most pathetic performance I've seen by any QB this year. 4 Interceptions, dropped the snap three times, and threw at least a dozen passes into the ground or out of bounds when guys were open.

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I made a comment in-game that Grief almost looked like he was shaving. Two of those pucks were egregious. Shotgun snap exchange was a joke and overthrow were very uncharacteristic.

I had that same thought, Books. It's hard to believer a guy could be that bad unless he was trying to.

The announcer said he and his wife had a newborn child so maybe he didn't get any sleep for a few weeks. It had to be something. No way a guy who has been around as long as he has could even stay on scholarship with a game that bad.

VC, you were on Ok St in that WVU game...come on where was this new born baby information to add to your argument! ;)

VC, you were on Ok St in that WVU game...come on where was this new born baby information to add to your argument! ;)

Idk if you follow the general discussion forum but i am averse to anything that has to do it, won't talk about anything connected with it lol

Idk how but I did this in basketball too, convince myself that OK State played good D. LMAO. It's just a contrarian brain fart. I gotta stop doing totals. Same with teasers, luckily i'm not wasting money on teasers this week. But a 10 team parlay instead lol

Seriously, why do you need "article" in the title unless you're a cunt?

I'm not the only one asking, who the fuck you think you are? We don't give a fuck. Article sounds so commercial and I'd pop you in the nose if I saw you. Fuck your articles you twerp.

Add shit if you want to, but article? LMAO go somewhere else it's fucking annoying.

And yes I'll take my pats on the back, but this is so god damned annoying it either ends with me or him. Fuck this guy.

Swear to god I have a decent life and do my thing, this has allowed to matriculate to this point. Time for me to say piss off. Articles? You tout fuck? Let's have fun....you've kinda put my family down on a couple occasions with your shitty rants, I've left it alone. But you're a troll, you know it, we all know it, and your humor isn't even funny remotely. Gotta step that up.

Just fuck off, you copy/paste your shit from another site that you get paid, good for you. But you're a cunt.

Questions? I'll give you my number in a jiffy.

Back