Introduction & NBA Opening Night Play

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
This is my 2nd year participating in the CTG NBA forum. I spent roughly 4 years over at the other site before this. This is by far the best NBA forum/discussion on the web. And I'm not just saying that to plug CTG because I don't get paid by them, and I am in no way affiliated with the site. I won't name names, but there's so many, good informative users on here, each providing different categories of analysis/info. Last season was my most profitable season betting NBA to date. Some of that stems from being smarter with my money management, and part of that is definitely from information on this site. I encourage lurkers to join and post, even if you just want to post plays to track your record on a database. All information is appreciated, and the more plays posted, the better it is for us to give us a larger consensus of who the "public" likes.

A little bit about me. I used run a very small-time book a few years ago, which allowed me to experience many aspects of the gambling world. The most knowledge I got from that was probably the ability to name second half lines before they get released. This gives me the ability to sniff out traps and spot value. Last year I finished monitoring my second half bets with a rate of around 65-70%. I'll likely post more 2nd half lines than full-game bets come mid-season when we have a better feel for the teams and the lines. My quick philosophy to betting NBA full games is divided into three parts: Early in the season it's important to spot value in the lines before the books catch on. When the books finally catch on, the middle of the season becomes tedious. The majority of us will hang around .500 or below in this stage, but it's important to not give up and tire out. This middle of the season is when I like to play 2H lines. The end of the season gets easier especially close to playoffs. All of the sudden, the young, rich NBA egos cool down and teams get serious as they look to establish their place in the playoffs. More of those conspicuous public plays start cashing at a higher rate. While I likely won't spend as much time in here as last season, I hope to contribute as much as I can to the forum. Good luck to all, and hopefully everyone has a profitable year!

Opening night is pretty much what I expected. The champs open up as a DD favorite at home, Houston opens as a low road fav and gets bet up. I definitely didn't expect GSW to be the fav especially that high, but it's a game I'll stay away from considering all the madness that occurred last year in their playoff series. I lean on Utah and the Lakers.

My Play: Spurs 1H -7.5 (1 Unit)

My book won't offer lines til tomorrow, and I'll post the number then. It should be -7 or -8. Portland is just too young as a whole to compete this season. They'll probably be a scrappy team and challenge large spreads throughout the season, but that's about it. The center duo of Pryzbilla & Lafrentz is just no match for Duncan. I look at this roster, and I see two HUGE weaknesses for Portland: defense and rebounding. The Spurs run the prototypical style to exploit both of those weaknesses. Adding a little motivation to the Spurs is the fact that they lost their opening home game last season against James and the Cavs. James ran off 35 points in the win. I don't expect this game to be close at all...Spurs lead the first half by 15+, and roll to a 20+ point win.

Last edited:
Shoutout to Segrams Gin, cuz I drink it and they pay me fo it!

G Luck

so do we all have to post a self deprecating CTG humping Bio when we post our 1st NBA plays too?

Spurs first half? No idea honestly. Spurs last year in their last 20 first games of a b-b went 15-5 and if they won they covered. They played 5 games at home in this situation and if you bet the Spurs for the game you went 4-1 and if you bet them for the first half you would have lost with the first 2 who were Minn, Houston. Portland lost by 14 and was down by 7 at the half on a 12.5 spread so not sure what would have happened.. Then you would have covered with Denver and Orlando but overall the winning action was just to bet the game straight.
This is different from those games though as it is first game of the season. Obviously Portland is better than last year but I think Washington if as seems likely they pick him up will help the Spurs a lot. Just going to watch that game myself. GL

Good luck on the season Believe, looking forward to your plays this year.

:shake: :cheers:

B811:
I'm already on the Spurs -7.5 1H, but I wanted to get your opinion on the o/u 189.5. My lean is under, do you agree?

My worry here is what you said above, Portland's lack of defense & rebounding, which the Spurs should exploit and could possibly run away with this game.

Last edited:
Good luck this season man...i'm a half player as well, and read your daily second half threads alot last year...always informative. As for the pick i'm on the other side...don't think portland is as bad as many people are predicting with aldridge, and roy, and i expect them to be pumped for the first game of the year.

Goodluck anyways

B811:
I'm already on the Spurs -7.5 1H, but I wanted to get your opinion on the o/u 189.5. My lean is under, do you agree?

My worry here is what you said above, Portland's lack of defense & rebounding, which the Spurs should exploit and could possibly run away with this game.

I think the Spurs can put 100 up tonight. But I don't have an opinion on the total, sorry.

My Play: Spurs 1H -7.5 (1 Unit) ( Believe811)

:36_11_6:

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back