Netherlands +0.5 +110
Ivory Coast pk -120
England pk +102
Switzerland pk -130
Argentina -1 -120
Germany/Portugal draw +234
USA +210

interesting, very interesting.

Agree Russia wins the groups and bombs iout of the round of 16 by losing by like 4 to whoever

Iran and Tico unders look solid, like Aguero bet as well

Klose as well

Don't really disagree with anything other than the Colombia bet but understand it, that group looks to me to be the most entertaining

really? I expect that group to put me to sleep. Yeah its wide open. But I dont expect to see some beautiful football in that group or anything

quick thoughts on the games

I've said before Croatia arguably has the best midfield in the tournament with Modric/Rakitic, I don't think they are going to get overwhelmed here, they can keep possession and slow the pace down. My guess is 1-1 or 1-2

Spain start these tournaments slowly and the Dutch 5-3-2 will I think really hinder their lack of a real striking option up front, they have no real width outside the fullbacks and if they push those forward that plays right in to the hands of the dutch wingbacks on the counter. I have a sneaky feeling the Dutch may win this, but think these adds are too good with the draw a win as well

I like the Ivory Coast a lot this year, they have been Africa's hope forever and finally got a good group draw when people think it's too late, but Yaya is coming off a season where he was the best midfielder in the world, Zokora and Tiote are very strong sitting in front of the back 4. Drogba isn't the powerful force he used to be but he has focused on his link up play more and with Gervinho/Kalou (plus Bony off the bench) bombing up the field he can draw the defense in and put them through. They have a huge advantage on set plays against Japan as well, if they can force a lot of corners the skill in the box should force a goal.

England is a bad matchup for Italy, especially in Manhaus, the field is going to be a joke, which hurts Italy who rely more on slow build up possession, and with the humidity England have the advantage with the subs they can bring on. By the 60th/70th minute they could throw on any of Sterling/Barkley/Wilshere and just tell them to run at what will be a very tired Italian back 4, also tough to ignore Italy's poor starts at these tournaments time after time.

Swiss is a play against Ecuador, barring seeing a dramatic change I will likely be against Ecuador at some point in all 3 games. This is a team that only qualified because they play at a ridiculous elevation. In qualifying they had 7 wins and 1 draw at home, and only managed. In their 8 away matches they lost 5 times, drew 3.

I like Argentina to score in bunches, and this Bosnian squad doesn't worry me, the Argies will be susceptable to attacks on the counter, their back 4 isn't strong and it isn't quick outside Zabaleta. But the Bosnian's are going to stack the midfield and I think Dzeko is going to be up on an island on his own. Which goes away from what they did in qualifying when they played an attacking 4-1-3-2 in favor of the 4-2-3-1

They are playing their 2nd best player in Pjanic out of position, he's not a 10, he's a deep lying play maker who likes to see the field in front of him and I think he will struggle more with CDM's shadowing him now, Mascherano should have him in his pocket all game.

Portugal/Germany is going to be a tight game, I think neither side will want to lose, and because of Ronaldo the Germans will have to mitigate how much Lahm gets forward, and he is the source of so much of their wing play since the other midfield attackers like to mostly cut inside

USA/Ghana is the opposite, I think it's tight but I think both these teams go in knowing they have to win to have a chance of qualifying, and I like the US to get a win. If this was 5 years ago a midfield of Essien/Muntari/KPB would strike fear in to a US team, but this isn't 5 years ago and I think the Americans will control the game in midfield. They might lack some of the technical skill Ghana have but their athleticism in the pressing game will be a huge advantage. The one potential issue is that Ghana's real only attacking strength is on the counter, they have no one who can play the killer ball to open up a deep lying back 4, the US moving to basically a midfield diamond could leave them open on the wide areas if they press too high. But I think JK will keep at least 2 of the CMs back at all times to keep it safe and I think they can score 1st, and sit back and hopefully pick Ghana off on their own counter

ya in terms of the goal bets I was really surprised at the Klose/Torres and Aguero/Costa

Most people think Spain are going back to play Fabregas as a false 9 anyway, so even if Klose doesn't start we know he's going to get games, Nando might not even be the 2nd choice striker off the bench for Spain

and on the other side, same with Costa and starting, plus he's coming off an injury and they are in a tough group where goals should be hard to come by

I really like the Cavani bet as well, their game where they should theoretically go to down is their 1st against Costa Rica, Suarez may not play but if he does he won't be at full health, then against the others (and I dont think Uruguay goes far) goals should be harder to come by. Their goals really only come from those 2 now anyway, they had 17 of the 25 they scored in qualifying

I dont expect guys like Costa, Saurez or Messi to score very many goals at all for some reason

nice writeups..

England/Italy game is intriguing for lots of reason, but I'm really interested to see what those conditions are like.

I'll be on the Swiss with ya. Haven't been impressed with Ecuador at all

teed we pretty much have the same picks in the contest!
good luck this tourney, thinking England are going to make some noise here.

Game 1's 4-3-1 +2.05

Game 2's
Mexico +1.5 -115

will be more added but I think this is going to be a real back and forth game

Brazil showed weakness on both flanks against a Croatian team that doesn't really rely on speed or width at all, they looked very uncomfortable dealing with crosses, Mexico's wing backs Layin and Aguilar both got forward and created a bunch of chances against Cameroon, Oscar and Hulk on either side don't really track back well either. While Gustavo will likely be busy tracking Gio who did a great job pulling Cameroon all over the field the other day.

Rafa Marquez playing essentially as a Libero as well will allow him to man mark Neymar when possible, and should leave the other two CBs to deal with Fred and Paulinho running in to the box, Brazil will push the full backs up to create mismatches which will lead to Mexican chances on the counter. I like both teams to score at least once.

rest of the game 2's

Croatia -160
Spain/Chile u3 -120
Ivory Coast +0.5 -120
Italy -1 -110
France/Swiss u2.5 -110
Honduras +0.5 +140
Nigeria +350
Argentina -2 -150
Algeria +240
Russia +0.5 -105
Portugal -150

will expand on more tomorrow but for the two that are tomorrow

the first 44 minutes of the Spain/Dutch game had chances but there was nothing that would have signified a 5-1 final score, I think we see that Spain for 90 minutes

They are going to play there slow methodical style to slow down a Chilean side that wants to push the ball, wants to counter. Spain will force them to play their game and I think will work there way in for a goal before playing keep away like they have done the last 3 major tournaments.

I don't think Chile will push too hard at the start either for a goal, they would take a draw at this point if it was offered.

Essentially lots of midfield play, I don't think either team opens up at any point before the 70th or so minute if Chile are losing or Spain are tied/losing and I expect a 1-0 type game

on the other game, Cameroon were abject in the 1st half against Mexico in all 3 phases, switching to 2 up top gave them more of an attacking thread in the 2nd half but it opened them up more on defense

I have said how high I am on the Modric/Rakitic/Kovacic midfield possibly being the best in the tournament and I think the gap between the two sides is deepest there, I expect Modric to run the game from a deep lying position and just ping the ball all around the field (Mandzukic up top will make them a lot more dangerous and his link up play is elite so they should create a lot more anyway than with Jelavic), too big a talent gap for Cameroon to threaten Croatia. I expect them to win handily

good bet there teed, had to sweat it out quite a bit!
fuck still am a bit bewildered how Spain didn't score but then again maybe I shouldn't be surprised since it's Blondie and the traitor who are their strikers

thoughts on the remaining game 2's

I don't think Columbia should be this heavily favored over the Ivory Coast, I wasn't big on them coming in but they beat up on a greece team that was slow at the back and offered little going forward, 90% of their attacks came down the wings and I don't think that's an issue for IC, their fullbacks were fantastic against Japan especially Aurier, and Columbia are going to need to drop a lot deeper as both Gervinho and Kalou can create issues

I think it's a generally even game, I think Yaya could end up being the difference here if he can really dominate play in MF. One thing I think to watch for Rodriguez playing the number 10 for Columbia is extremely attack minded, he doesn't track back, if he doesn't especially if IC ever go to 2 strikers up top, he is going to leave Columbia really short in their own box.

Italy from my end is fairly simple, I think Costa Rica's win said more about the weakness in Uruguay than it did about the strength of Costa Rica. They were able to counter against what was a very slow Uruguay back 4 but they essentially still got dominated on the ball. They had 40% possession and completed half the passes Uruguay did in the attacking third, against a much stronger technical side in Italy I don't see them picking up a point so with the -1 I think this pushes at the least but I expect a comfortable win for the Italians

Honduras eseentially play Concacaf thug ball but were defending well against France until the penalty. If they can defend like that I like their chances of beating Ecuador here, who have conceded in their last 6 games. Like I said for the first game I am not impressed with Ecuador at all, their advantage at elevation in home games is IMO the only reason they qualified.

Argentina is like Italy, expect a more attack minded side, and they won't start in a formation the side isn't made for like they did against BH, the 4-3-3 they used in qualification and switched to in the 2nd half saw them double their attacking passes and when they do that from the start here I don't think Iran have the talent to stop them, and they certainly don't have the talent up front to really threaten for a goal.

I think this Algeria line is silly, playing for the win because they can't settle for a draw here. They have a young very talented midfield and did not look out of place against the Belgians. South Korea didn't really create anything except a goalkeeping blunder in their attacks on Russia. I think the Algerians press up high against SK here and take control of the game.

Russia is going to play Belgium very much the same way Algeria did but I think they have more talent on the counter to cause some damage. I hope Capello starts Kherhakov and Dzagoev as they looked a different side when those two linked up with Kokorin, but even if 1 or both dont and are saved for 2nd half subs I expect Russia to have more joy going forward than against a Korean side who play very similar to them in wanting to counter. Belgium grew in confidence in the 2nd half but still looked like a side that doesn't seem comfortable breaking down a solid defense.

The line I have on Portugal could be better but I still like the bet as it sounds like CR7 is going to play. To me the US has one of two mindsets for this game, they play for the win or they are going to lose.

I don't know if it was JK's tactics to sit back like they did against Ghana, or if Ghana just dominated the ball. But if they give the first 70 yards of the field they are going to allow multiple goals. Ghana spent the first 65 minutes of the game blindly playing crosses in, Portugal have enough technical ability that they aren't going to do that.

i'm not sure your thoughts on Klinsman, but the early goal certainly can make a team more conservative. We were pretty much dominated until Ghana finally broke through, then turned it back on, but I can't imagine it was a strategy to let them have so much control of the ball because we felt they couldn't finish. Makes me really worried for Portugal, though everything we could have asked for in the first set of games did.

I think Pepe's absence is big on defense, but also on set pieces on offense because of his hard head. Can't imagine CR7 sits considering his legacy is on the line with his country underachieving in the WC. The difference in quality seemed huge since the beginning, but the +1 line makes me think the books don't respect us and only continued what they were throwing out from the Ghana match (whether they were trying to bait their American homer customers or not I can't say for sure)

At any rate, GL the rest of the way. Opening your thread makes me sad all I have is my pools to look forward to as I didn't grab any futures :shake:

good stuff Teed.

USA , even before the Jozy injury and pretty much immediately after the goal went to a group of flat fours. I thought he should have maybe pressed a little more when Jozy was in there. Anyways, Jozy injury is big , think it makes the Pepe and Coentreo absences not a very big deal for Portugal.

Algeria line does seem a little silly, I agree there.

Game 1's 4-3-1 +2.05
Game 2's 5-7 +0.45

Croatia +169
Spain -1 -145
Italy +180
Columbia/Japan o2.5 +110
Ivory Coast +108
Bosnia +126
France -110
Germany -130

waiting on CR7 health in the Portugal/Ghana game, would be only other possible add on a game bet

not that he doesn't play, but i'd like to hear if he practices without a brace this week

he badly missed 2 shots he normally at least puts in a dangerous place on net, if he's not healthy their ability to score just really drops

For tomorrow's games

Croatia I have been very impressed with in the tournament, their midfield has outplayed Cameroon (expected) and Brazil (quality), and I think makes a huge difference here against the Mexicans, who created a lot against Cameroon and less against Brazil, in fact against Brazil the quality of chances here is just a huge gap

sz19_1.png

Brazil had 4 shots on net from basically the 6 yard box, Mexico's had 2 shots inside the box, one 20 yards away and 1 that went 10 yards wide

Croatia has good fullbacks which will negate the Mexican attack down the flanks as well

Croatia also here can't play for a draw, they need to win to advance and they will push. Modric played at half health against Cameroon but he should be fully rested here, I think he and Rakitic will be the difference.

Even with both having lost their two games I think Spain/Aus is just too big a talent gap, Spain should make 5-6 changes from the last game, it's expected Koke, Mata, Fabregas, Pedro, Juanfran, and possibly Villa all get starts and I think the lack of pressure, injection of a bit of youth and pace, and an Australia team without Cahill (their only real scoring threat) is enough to allow Spain to win here, hopefully comfortably

Game 1's 4-3-1 +2.05
Game 2's 5-7 +0.45
Game 3's 6-5 + 1.26

Uruguay +0.5 -106
Uruguay to advance +190
Greece to advance +120
Chile/Brazil o2.5 -130
Belgium -110
Switzerland +1 +110
Switzerland to advance +370
France/Nigeria u2.5 -103

those are some good bets, at this stage of the tourney really tough to be wagering too much on the heavy ML.
You playing Swiss due to price?

Brazil/Chile game should look more like a group game than a KO

Chile only know how to play one way, they attack, press up high in all areas, and try to work the ball in to the box quickly. Brazil like to counter and I think this is going to be their first real chance to do it.

Neymar has been very good this tournament but I suspect this is the game Hulk shows why he keeps getting picked. Chile should control the game with Vidal and I think they can score on a defense that is weak in it's own area at both fullback positions (with the way Sanchez and Vargas move side to side it's going to create a lot of confusion for who is covering who) I think they have free reign down both flanks

The issue for them is that they only know that way, so even if they score first I don't expect them to sit back, which should lead to Brazil having tons of joy on the counter all night long. I think we see an early goal and I don't think either stop there, guessing a 3-2 type game

for Uruguay, I think this line is an overreaction to Suarez going out. He's going to be replaced up top by one of the 5 best strikers in the world in Cavani. So essentially they are not losing a world class striker up top, they are losing Cavani playing behind the striker where he is not nearly as effective, for club or country. My hope would be Gaston Ramirez takes that spot, but it could also be Forlan. Either way, they will still be extremely dangerous going forward against a Columbia team who finished 29th in the group stage allowing 16 shots per game to much weaker opposition

Another potential issue for Columbia is their reliance on attacks down the right hand side, if they choose to do so again tomorrow it's against Uruguay's best defending side with Godin/Caceres and I think they can stifle them enough. Uruguay is much more balanced on the flanks.

those are some good bets, at this stage of the tourney really tough to be wagering too much on the heavy ML.
You playing Swiss due to price?

yep, thats a crazy price for a team as organized as the swiss who have shown in the past they can keep great attacking teams in check

Game 1's 4-3-1 +2.05
Game 2's 5-7 +0.45
Game 3's 6-5 + 1.26
R16's 2-6 -4.36

Germany to advance -128
Brazil -118
Netherlands -1 -106
Argentina to advance -160

Back