Insight Bowl - Dec. 31 - KU Vs. MN

bjorks

Secretary of Fondy Fanclub
Hey fellas, haven't been betting at all during bowl week, but thought I'd pass this along.

I got a chance to visit with a few guys from Minnesota the other day and here's kinda the tone.

Confidence is very high they'll be able to score. Eric Decker is close to 100% and he is the key to the offense. They were averaging over 30 ppg when he was healthy and I don't think the KU defense will be able to contain him.

The offense has seen a major renovation. The OL coach was fired and they hired a new guy to tweak their version of the spread. QB Adam Webber averaged about 2 times a game when he was under center. During the past month of workouts he did not take one snap from shotgun. The new OL Coach they have is committed to the run and they are going back a little bit to what their OL knows best, zone blocking. This is a pretty big change, but it plays to the strength of a bad OL, run blocking. Expect to see Webber under center a lot more and a focus on running the ball.

Brewster wants to win this game more than anything in the world. A lot of teams do, but some are just happy to be there. Things ease up a bit (at least with Mason they did) and they let the guys have fun. Not here. A victory here would be huge for recruiting and would solidify his extension. The guys had curfews every night since Christmas so he is taking this game about as serious as you can.

HOWEVER, a lot of the upperclassman are glad to be done. A lot of planning was made as to meeting up in Tempe tonight. Not a lot of love for Brewster on the team, but there's a lot of pride on the team.

I talked to a starting DE and he said the game plan was to keep the KU offense off the field. That's why they're committing so much time to the run. They don't feel KU can stop the run PLUS they have no tape on the MN offense know. He said when you see it, you won't be able to recognize a single thing they're doing because it's back to ground-and-pound like it was under Mason. They'll still pass the ball, but he said "I give him (Brewster) credit realizing the line sucks, we're definitely playing to our strength and they (KU) won't have any tape on us."

I'd maybe take a look at the UNDER 58 and if you can still get MN close to DD's, maybe that as well.

GL, happy new year.

good info...

I still like the over.. dont think minne's D can stop kansas and vice versa.. also think the run for minne, will set up big plays for decker.. read that one of the starting cb for kansas is out... just think its going to end up in the upper 60's.

I think we can take advantage of props here. Do you expect DeLeon Eskridge to get the bulk of the work? I would think Adam Weber's completions would go under the given number as well.

Thanks Bjorks

to g

Eskridge hasn't proven to be able to run for a lot of yards consistantly this year. BUT, with Weber under center he won't run for as much, but if it becomes a shootout and he goes back to shotgun, Weber is their best runner. To clarify, Eskridge would get the bulk of carries if they're going to try and pound the ball, but Weber is the best runner.

Cash - All they preached when I talked to them is how they are going for ball control. I don't disagree about both D's not being able to stop each other, but I'm basing this on the fact the MN offense was talking about how they're going to use ball control to stop the KU offense.

More than anything it would make me think about maybe not playing it as much if I was still on the OVER.

Good luck.

bjorks, as a Gopher season ticket holder, I can't argue with a lot of what you said. I think you'll be impressed with Decker, as he could have legitimately been the best all-around receiver in the Big Ten barring injury. The batterred O-line is starting two junior tackles in place of the freshman that were brought in and crafted to pass block for the spread offense. Weber is very fundamentally sound and may benefit from not running for his life like he did all season. Keep an eye on Brandon Green #2, freshman wideout. Speedster with awesome hands...

Part of me thinks the Gophers cover here. Northwestern played Mizzu very well, and Minny should have beat NW at home, if not for that INT return to end the game and some other fluky stuff. Granted NW didn't have Bacher or Sutton for that game. Minny only lost to Wisky on the road by 3....

Just not convinced that anything Kansas did warrants them been favored by 8+ on a neutral field...BOL on whichever direction you go.

:cheers:

Thanks, VG. I agree with what you said about Decker. Too bad the guys don't think he's coming back next year, going to focus on baseball.

I still know a few of the guys on the team so it would be nice to see them go out on a win. I'd lean towards MN and the UNDER right now.

Nice bjorks. Are you from the Minny/Wisky area?

If they are going to stop KU, Hightower and Steve Davis need to play the games of their lives. Both were terrible, imho, during the year. Hightower takes horrible angles. That really worries me against Reesing and receivers over the middle. If they can pass to set up any running game, Minny is in trouble.

Back