Injuries-Depth Chart Updates

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
With 10 days left before the season gets started I figured we should get this thread going.

Adam Morrison tore his ACL and is out for the year. Bobcats bench is already thinning out with the loss of May and Morrison. Herriman looks to take Morrison's minutes.

Peja is already dealing with back issues. I'd like to hear Renew's thoughts on this one. Are they problems still from last year or is this a new injury?

Brandon Roy is feeling better, but Aldridge isn't.

I'm sure there are numerous updates to get to out there and hopefully some of the locals can update their teams' situations.

As for the Jazz:

Matt Harpring probably won't be ready to go when the season starts.

AK says things are getting better, but would still like to be traded and Ronnie Brewer should open at SG, but Sloan's not happy with his D.

Thumb injury has Bibby out for six to 10 weeks

Published 7:14 pm PDT Friday, October 26, 2007

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)| Digg it | del.icio.us
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]LAS VEGAS - Kings point guard Mike Bibby has suffered a torn ligament in his left thumb and could be out for six to 10 weeks.
The Kings, meanwhile, have already had a rough start to their regular season before it even begins.
With small forward Ron Artest already schedule to be out seven games due to his suspension from the league, the loss of Bibby means second-year guard Quincy Douby will assume the role. According to Kings coach Reggie Theus, Bibby hurt his thumb during practice on Thursday but did not know the extent of the injury until mid-day Friday, when an MRI revealed the tear.
[/FONT]

West could miss season opener

Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/about.html"]John Reid, Times Picayune[/URL] October 26, 2007 8:06PM

WNSTON SALEM, N.C. -- There is a chance David West could miss Wednesday's season opener against the Sacramento Kings after spraining his left ankle during Friday's morning shoot around.
West sat out the Hornets' final preseason game against the Charlotte Bobcats at Lawrence Joel Coliseum.
"He's day to day and we'll get a better idea on Sunday and Monday on how he feels,'' Hornets Coach Byron Scott said. "There is a good chance he may not play Wednesday or Friday (against Portland). It's a grade two sprain, so he sprained it pretty good.''
Melvin Ely started in place of West against the Bobcats. If West can't go for the opener, Scott said he will use a rotation involving Ely, Ryan Bowen and possibly Hilton Armstrong, who started at center Friday.
West had struggled during the preseason. In his previous two games, he had shot 6-of-23 from the field for a combined 14 points. In Wednesday's loss to the Atlanta Hawks he made 1-of-8 shots from the field to finish with four points.
"I've just got to be ready for the long haul,'' West said. "I've been gearing for the regular season, not the preseason. I just hope to be ready, we have four or five days to prepare and we'll go from there.''

Atkins injured<?p>

Nuggets guard Chucky Atkins aggravated his strained right groin early in the fourth quarter of the preseason game Thursday, a 116-113 loss to the Phoenix Suns at the U.S. Airways Center, and left in great pain.
Nuggets coach George Karl said he's "concerned" about Atkins, who will be evaluated today, when more will be known about how long he might be out. "It's real, real sore and in pain right now," Atkins said after the game. "I felt my groin pop."

Bogut vows he won't miss opener

By Charles F. Gardner

Thursday, Oct 25 2007, 06:52 PM

Chicago - Andrew Bogut was sitting at his locker inside the United Center, wearing a soft black cast on his left forearm to protect his sprained wrist.
But the Bucks 7-foot center was smiling, knowing he would miss only the team's final two exhibition games. He vowed to be ready for the Bucks' regular-season opener next Wednesday in Orlando.
"Just sitting in the MRI is never a good feeling," Bogut said. "I just can't stand watching games, knowing I could be out there trying to help.
"I'm playing for the season opener."

noah, thomas and wallace all left thursdays nights preseason finale with an injury.

noah is 7-10 days with a sprain ankle
wallace no idea of time to miss yet with ankle
thomas no idea of time to miss yet with some kind of foot injury

Kings are going to be in for a long first couple weeks of the year.

Wow he is questioning Kobe.. amazing to me.
"Obviously, he hasn't thrown his heart and soul into performing on the floor," Jackson said after practice Saturday at the team's El Segundo training facility. "That hurts me a little bit. . . . He was going to work at this thing and [would] put his full being into this. Right now, he's having a hard time doing that."

Asked specifically what Bryant is struggling with, Jackson replied, "Mentally getting himself here and playing hard. . . . Is that a surprise to you guys? I mean I'm not breaking new news."

Stuckey out for Detroit(6 weeks)

Hamilton is feeling better and will play at Miami Thursday

West could miss season opener

Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/about.html"]John Reid, Times Picayune[/URL] October 26, 2007 8:06PM

WNSTON SALEM, N.C. -- There is a chance David West could miss Wednesday's season opener against the Sacramento Kings after spraining his left ankle during Friday's morning shoot around.
West sat out the Hornets' final preseason game against the Charlotte Bobcats at Lawrence Joel Coliseum.
"He's day to day and we'll get a better idea on Sunday and Monday on how he feels,'' Hornets Coach Byron Scott said. "There is a good chance he may not play Wednesday or Friday (against Portland). It's a grade two sprain, so he sprained it pretty good.''
Melvin Ely started in place of West against the Bobcats. If West can't go for the opener, Scott said he will use a rotation involving Ely, Ryan Bowen and possibly Hilton Armstrong, who started at center Friday.
West had struggled during the preseason. In his previous two games, he had shot 6-of-23 from the field for a combined 14 points. In Wednesday's loss to the Atlanta Hawks he made 1-of-8 shots from the field to finish with four points.
"I've just got to be ready for the long haul,'' West said. "I've been gearing for the regular season, not the preseason. I just hope to be ready, we have four or five days to prepare and we'll go from there.''

nice thread JPicks.

Peja's injury is nothing new I dont think, believe he just hasn't fully recovered but he's appears to be getting better. that could change at any moment...

Sonics close to setting lineup

Carlesimo unsure about the starter at point guard

By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER
With two days until the regular-season opener against the Denver Nuggets, the Sonics remain without a starting lineup, although coach P.J. Carlesimo appears close to some decisions.
The most intriguing competition is point guard, where incumbent Luke Ridnour has been battling Earl Watson and possibly Delonte West, who has been slowed by injuries.
Ridnour finished the preseason with a 4.7-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio compared to Watson's 2.1-to-1. West played point guard Friday against the Phoenix Suns in Vancouver, B.C., and contributed nine assists in his best performance of the preseason.
"I'm coming closer because we have to make a decision, but I'm not coming close to knowing what I'm doing (at the position)," Carlesimo said Sunday. "It's just trying to figure out the best thing."
West finished second behind Kevin Durant in preseason scoring and showing the ability to tally points in bunches. Carlesimo appears content to allow Wally Szczerbiak to come off the bench for scoring punch and he may consider the same for West.
"I think he did a good job at both positions (Friday)," Carlesimo said of West. "I thought he ran the best he has (in training camp) at (shooting guard). He got out and ran like we pictured him. I just think the more he practices and the more comfortable he gets with the point guard position, the more comfortable he is doing stuff within the system."
Carlesimo indicated that Ridnour and Watson have the edge because West has missed practices and games with nagging injuries. Ridnour and Watson have a better knowledge of the half-court offense.
Durant is cemented at shooting guard as soon as his injured left ankle is willing, while Damien Wilkins and Chris Wilcox are likely starters at small and power forward.
Nick Collison started the final two preseason games at center and could be the starter Wednesday in Denver and again Thursday when the Sonics play their home opener against the Phoenix Suns at KeyArena.
Durant and Jeff Green each participated in shooting drills at practice Sunday while nursing sprained ankles and their status for Wednesday's game has yet to be determined.
Durant, who was injured Tuesday against the Golden State Warriors, wore a brace on his ankle and appeared comfortable in drills. The same with Green, who left Friday's game with the Suns in the third quarter. He said Friday that he was certain to play against the Nuggets.
Carlesimo said he wants both to participate in a full practice before they play in any game. The Sonics have two more days of practices before the opener.
Center Robert Swift, who banged his surgically repaired knee Thursday in practice, also sat out but should play Wednesday.
"(Durant) did nothing (Sunday)," Carlesimo said. "I think they're all day-to-day. We'll just see how they feel (Monday)."

The Indiana Pacers signed center Courtney Sims this afternoon.
<!-- PHOTO & FACTBOX --><!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=5>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!--MAIN PHOTO--><!--MAIN FACTS BOX--></TD><TD width=10>
clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- REMAINING TEXT -->
Sims, who was released by the Pacers last week, is being brought in as a precaution because Jermaine O'Neal and Troy Murphy are doubtful for the season opener Wednesday against the Washington Wizards at Conseco Fieldhouse.
The Pacers have just three healthy big men -- Jeff Foster, Ike Diogu and David Harrison.
Forward Shawne Williams, who sprained his left ankle in practice today, is suspended for the first three games of the season

Yi, Mason get starting nod

By Charles F. Gardner

Monday, Oct 29 2007, 11:25 AM

St. Francis - In the middle of the Bucks' practice session this morning, coach Larry Krystkowiak told his players the starting lineup for Wednesday's season opener at Orlando.
Rookie power forward Yi Jianlian and veteran small forward Desmond Mason got the starting assignments in the two contested positions, to go along with guards Mo Williams and Michael Redd and center Andrew Bogut.
That meant that Charlie Villanueva would come off the bench at power forward, with Bobby Simmons backing up Mason at small forward.
"I want to have some energy, and that's a high-energy group," Krystkowiak said of his starters. "And I want to have some offensive presence coming off the bench at the same time.
"The matchups everybody was curious about were at the 3 and the 4. Bobby is very skilled, and he can hit shots and make plays in an NBA game. And Charlie V is kind of the same mind-set, where we've got a couple gunslingers that are ready to score some points. That will give us a boost.
"We've got to start somewhere, and that was the consensus among our group (of coaches)."
Yi, the sixth overall pick in the June draft, gained a starting position in his first NBA camp.
"I think he's got a great upside, and he's doing a nice job with us," Krystkowiak said. "He knows where he's supposed to be; he knows the plays. He's as good a big guy as we have in pick-and-roll coverage.
"When we play Orlando, they're a fast-break team like no other. The ball gets pushed down your throat. I think if we put the stopwatch on our bigs, I think Yi would be first or second in a race. I like his chances of getting back, and I want to set a little defensive tone. Desmond will guard, Yi will guard."
Yi said he was excited about his opening-night start and conceded he might be "a little bit" nervous.
"I'm excited more for the team," Yi said. "I'm new to the NBA game, and there are still a lot of things I need to learn.
"I hope to play good in the first game and have a good start. My teammates are all very kind and supportive of me."
Villanueva said he was fine with coming off the bench, a role he played at times with the Bucks last season and also with Toronto in his rookie year.
"Coach told me he wants me to provide scoring and give us a spark off the bench," the 6-11 Villanueva said. "I'm ready to do so.
"I learned a lot from my first year in Toronto, and I helped them out a lot as far as scoring and providing energy, and that's the same role I'm going to play here."
During the exhibition season, Yi and Villanueva split playing time nearly evenly, with each averaging about 24 minutes.
"There will be nights where I'm going to play more; there's going to be nights where he will play more," Villanueva said. "That's the beauty of our team, that we have a lot of depth.
"I don't mind coming off the bench. Bobby and I are two good offensive players that can contribute to any team. Any given night, it's going to be a different guy."
Krystkowiak said the players voted and named Redd, Williams and Mason as captains for the 2007-'08 season.

MAVERICKS NOTES

Harris' jump shot falling into place

By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --><SCRIPT language=Javascript>function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.star-telegram.com/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }</SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Test to see if either credit_line or byline -->GETTY IMAGES/GLENN JAMES
<!-- End Test --><!--GETTY IMAGES/GLENN JAMES

-->Devin Harris has added a more consistent jump shot to go with his ability to penetrate a defense.
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_thumbnail.comp --><!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_thumbnail.comp -->
<!-- no polls to display -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp -->Devin Harris keeps three words of advice in mind from teammate Jerry Stackhouse every time he goes up for a jumper.
"Rub my rib," Harris said, a reminder to keep his right elbow tucked in for good shooting form.
Harris' jump shot is falling into form just as the fourth-year player is set to run the show as the Mavericks' point guard when the regular season opens Wednesday at Cleveland.
In eight preseason games Harris has, by design, called his own plays to get accustomed to engineering the offense without relying on coach Avery Johnson on the sideline.
"When you get more and more control of the play-calling and what's going on out there on the court, it gives you more confidence," Harris said.
"Obviously, it was [Johnson] giving me a little bit more freedom with the play-calling and with the transition offense. Being able to push the ball in the open spaces is going to give me more confidence."
Johnson has often compared Harris' ability to that of San Antonio's Tony Parker.
Both players have a deadly first step and are among the league's best at penetrating.
Parker's game took off when he began to consistently make 18-foot jump shots.
It forced defenders to play him tighter on the perimeter, which also made them more vulnerable to his quick burst to the basket.
Harris shot a career-high 49.2 percent from the floor last season, but just 28 percent from beyond the 3-point arc (14-of-50).
During the preseason, he shot 50 percent and made 5-of-8 from the 3-point line.
The 3-pointer won't be a significant shot for Harris, but having that threat, as well as a consistent jump shot, is crucial to his overall development.
"It [his shot] looks better because he's more confident," Johnson said. "His body language is better, he's not hesitant about shooting and he knows what his responsibilities are and he knows he can make the defense pay.
"We just want him to concentrate on running the team and getting the ball in the paint."
Terry ready to roll
Jason Terry's sprained left knee limited his playing time in the preseason, but he'll be ready to play in the opener when he'll come off the bench as the team's new sixth man.
"He's great now," Avery Johnson said. "He's pretty much back, in my mind, as close to 100 percent as he's going to be. He ran well, he practiced hard and, boy, he's just flat-out making shots."
Terry was 6-of-6 from the field, including 2-of-2 from the 3-point line in the preseason finale against Chicago.
The Westphal effect
New assistant coach Paul Westphal has revamped the Mavs' offense against the zone, a major trouble spot last season, especially against Golden State in the playoffs.
Westphal has reduced the number of plays the Mavs will run.
"We had like five, six plays last year that we tried to run," Devin Harris said. "Now we're just focusing on one thing, and we're getting really good at it when we see zones that we attack, and it's looking good."

October 29, 2007
Jeff McDonald: Udrih packs, Washington exhales

So Beno Udrih is out the door, traded to Minnesota after three mostly disappointing seasons in San Antonio. He had talent, certainly, but never quite seemed to recover from his very public, turnover-prone implosion against the Pistons in the 2005 NBA Finals. In the past few seasons, he spent more time in the doghouse and in the training room than on the court here.
What does this deal mean for Darius Washington? It means Washington can stop holding his breath. He's made the Spurs' opening night roster, and for the time being seems to be in line for some playing time. He will be the Spurs' only healthy backup point guard tomorrow night against Portland.
For Udrih, his departure is in part a matter of bad timing. He spent the bulk of the preseason on the shelf with a broken finger, just in time to watch Washington's emergence.

Yi earned that starting spot :36_11_6: Must have been in the contracts..

Foye's knee worries Wolves

The Wolves completed their $10 million buyout of Juwan Howard, getting their roster down to the 15-man limit Monday. But only 14 of the players practiced.

Once again tendinitis in Randy Foye's balky left knee kept him out of practice, and now his status for Friday's season opener is in doubt. "We are concerned, very concerned, I'm not going to lie to you," Wolves coach Randy Wittman said after an intense practice that lasted nearly three hours. "Him coming in today and not being able to do anything? That was a little bit of a shock. I have the concern of, how ready will he be?"

This one is going to hurt.

pixel.gif

The Minnesota Timberwolves have lost starting guard Randy Foye for several weeks due to a lingering left knee injury.

An MRI test and CT scan performed on Foye's knee revealed a stress reaction in his kneecap, and the team announced that he will be out indefinitely

guess here is as good of a place as any to post this.

Listening to Mike Tirico on ESPN radio today and he was talking to Coach George Karl.

Karl commented on Kenyon Martin and that for the first 20 games or so, as per doctors orders, he will only play about 20 minutes a game. And he will probably not play the 2nd game of back to back situations. THis is due to K-Mart recovering from injury (isn't he always?).

Also, Karl spoke about how they were focusing a great deal on the defensive side of the game.

Thought some might find that info useful.

Samuel Dalembert practiced for his third straight day after missing more than two weeks because of soreness from a stress fracture in his left foot. It was the second day he took part in contact drills. Dalembert said he was expecting to make an impact tomorrow even though his foot felt tender. . . . Cheeks had big expectations for Dalembert against the Raptors. "Hopefully, he can go out there and play 30-plus minutes," Cheeks said.

guess here is as good of a place as any to post this.

Listening to Mike Tirico on ESPN radio today and he was talking to Coach George Karl.

Karl commented on Kenyon Martin and that for the first 20 games or so, as per doctors orders, he will only play about 20 minutes a game. And he will probably not play the 2nd game of back to back situations. THis is due to K-Mart recovering from injury (isn't he always?).

Also, Karl spoke about how they were focusing a great deal on the defensive side of the game.

Thought some might find that info useful.

Good stuff. Also worth noting that the Nuggets are without Nene as well as Atkins and Carter. Camby is always one stubbed toe away from being out 2-4 weeks. Looks like more than the air is thin in Denver.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>Posted: 1:42 PM- OAKLAND, Calif. - Jazz forward Matt Harpring is expected to play in Tuesday night's season opener, albeit limited minutes as he continues to recover from right knee surgery, while rookies Morris Almond and Kyrylo Fesenko will be on the inactive list.

Pavlovic Signs

Pavlovic ends holdout, agrees to three-year deal with Cavs

The Cleveland Cavaliers and restricted free agent Sasha Pavlovic have agreed to a three-year deal, Pavlovic's agent Marc Cornstein told ESPN.com.

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
3722.jpg
Pavlovic

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) -->
Cornstein refused to give the numbers on the contract.
"Sasha is very excited to be returning to the Cavs," Cornstein said. "I believe he can help the Cavs build on the success they had last year."
The two sides had been at a standstill for much of the summer. Cornstein said that there was little movement until the last few days when Cleveland began to put a more serious offer on the table.
"Cleveland made great strides in the last few days to show how much they truely value Sasha and to ensure that we closed on this deal for the start of the season," Cornstein said.
When will he return to the Cavs?
Pavlovic is in Serbia at the moment and is preparing to return to the United States. He'll likely return to Cleveland on Wednesday but it's unlikely he'll play.
When his contract gets done, Cornstein said Pavlovic is ready to play.
"He's been working out twice a day with a personal coach. He'll be in excellent condition. Once everything is official he'll be ready to go."
The Cavs' other restricted free agent holdout, Anderson Varejao, remains unsigned with sources close to the negotiations claiming that the two sides are still far apart with little movement over the last week.
The Cavs struggled in the preseason without Pavlovic and Varejao. The team posted a 1-6 record and was blown out in the past few games.
The teams struggles, combined with a lack of off-season moves by Cavs GM Danny Ferry, led to LeBron James complaining publicly about the state of the team last week in a Q&A with the Akron Beacon Journal's Brian Windhorst.
"For me as a leader, you want guys around you that are going to help you win ball games," James said. "I'm going to do what is best for the team. But at the same time you see teams regrouping and reshaping, and with our team we didn't do any reshaping, we didn't do any regrouping. You start to think a bit, 'How are we going to continue to get better?'"
Instead, James said, the Cavs were coming into the season "worse" than they were last year.
"Oh, we're worse," James said. "We're not as good as we were if we have those guys. It's simple. We all know that. Those two guys are a big part of our team. There's no reason to sit here and say we're better without them. I think they're a key point to our team. At the same time, we have to continue to get better while they are not here. Hopefully something happens."
Signing Pavlovic is an important step, but he wasn't nearly as important to the franchise last season as Varejao, who was the team's best defensive player.
Without Varejao, the Cavs have a thin front line and miss his energy and defensive toughness in the paint.

Barbosa, Diaw, Skinner expected to play Thursday, Bell tweaks ankle

Jerry Brown, Tribune

There was good news and bad news on the injury front for the Suns Tuesday. The bad news was that guard Raja Bell tweaked his ankle shooting around before Tuesday’s practice and was unable to go.

Coach Mike D’Antoni said he did not think the injury was serious and is hoping Bell will be able to play in the season opener at Seattle Thursday.

On the good news front, all three of the other injured Suns -- guard Leandro Barbosa (bruised ribs), center Brian Skinner (sprained ankle) and forward Boris Diaw (both ankles) -- were able to practice Tuesday and are expected to play Thursday.

D’Antoni said Diaw has the furthest to go of the three in recovering from his injuries

Dallas Mavericks expect to land Juwan Howard

[SIZE=-1]03:28 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com
[/SIZE]

The Dallas Mavericks have a chance to bring back an old Maverick who still has some tread left on his tires. That meant an end to DJ Mbenga's time with the team.
The 7-foot center was waived Tuesday afternoon, ostensibly to make way for a new player, who is expected to be Juwan Howard.
While details still were to be worked out, the Mavericks were hopeful that they would be able to sign Howard and the fact that they cleared a roster spot for him is an indication of their confidence that a deal can be struck.
Howard has been a free agent since being waived by Minnesota last week. Cleveland, among others, also had its sights on the 6-10 forward, who can also play some center.
The Mavericks are short on healthy big men with Erick Dampier and Devean George on the inactive list with injuries.
Howard played 80 games for the Mavericks in the 2000-01 and 2001-02 seasons. He was acquired from Washington, then was part of a trade to Denver that brought Nick Van Exel and Avery Johnson to the Mavericks.
The 34-year-old has a reputation as a solid defender and versatile offensive player.
Mbenga, meanwhile, saw his two-year-plus run with the Mavericks come to an end. He was coming off of an anterior cruciate ligament injury last February and played in only one preseason game. The Mavericks had made inquiries around the league about trading the Congo-born Mbenga, but were unsuccessful.
"We have nothing but love and respect for that young man," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "We think he has a very bright future, and maybe with the Mavericks. He just needs experience now on the court."
Nelson said it is likely Mbenga would head to Europe, where he likely would be able to get a starting job.

Back