Indians vs Reds Preview Article (Monday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Indians Will Leave Reds Feeling Blue in Battle of Ohio

Cleveland begins a three-game home series against Cincinnati at 7:10 ET. A pitching mismatch will decide this intra-state matchup in Cleveland’s favor.

Cincinnati Reds at Cleveland Indians

MLB Pick: Cleveland 1H RL

Cleveland’s Mike Clevinger (7-3, 3.11 ERA) is in a prime spot to prolong his streak of five straight starts with an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) under 3.00. He’ll pitch with six days’ rest, in which scenario he is 5-1 with a 2.31 ERA in 12 career starts.

Clevinger has improved from last season, bringing his FIP down from 3.85 to 3.17. He’s strongly reduced his walk rate and is allowing fewer homers. He throws more strikes and pitches rather for contact, which is why his strikeout rate has dropped. But when he does throw outside the zone, he is inducing batters to chase those pitches at a higher rate. For example, his slider was his second-favorite pitch with two strikes and his favorite strikeout-inducing pitch. He, in fact, throws it more often with two strikes. But he throws it for a ball with 10 percent less frequency, instead inducing the batter to put it in play with over five percent higher frequency. Clevinger throws it a tad more up in the zone, but gets away with that location because of his slider’s improved location. He killed its previously stark vertical movement, so that it doesn’t hang, and lent it an average of almost three inches more horizontal movement, so that it’s more elusive.

Opponents are batting .181 against his slider, but it’s still only his third-best pitch. Clevinger’s favorite pitch is a four-seam fastball, which he throws about half the time and mixes in a change-up and curve, each with over 10% frequency. He likes to vary his fastball location, but can get away with poor placement. For example, he locates it with six percent frequency in the heart of the plate, bot opponents only slug .238 against it in that spot. His fastball boasts above-average spin rate and velocity.

He lives up to his characteristic tendency to nibble at the corners of the plate with his change-up. He rarely throws his change-up for a strike, but loves to tempt batters into swinging at it because of its precise placement on the edges of the zone and its strong arm-side movement. Clevinger’s curveball fits in well with its change of pace, concentrated location down in the zone, and strong horizontal and vertical movement. As against his change, opponents are batting under .160 against his curve.

The Reds are yielding -8.8 units against right-handed starters. They match up poorly because they rank 24th against the high-velocity (93-98 mph) fastball overall and dead-last away from their hitter-friendly home ballpark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anthony DeSclafani (3-1, 5.08 ERA) is heading in the opposite direction from Clevinger. He has yielded an FIP over 6.00 in three of his past four starts. Opponents have hit eight homers against him in his past four starts.

DeSclafani relies on his sinker, fastball, and slider with between 25 and 33% frequency. He’s never located his fastball this poorly, leaving it with 12% frequency down the middle. Opponents are slugging .667 against it. His fastball explains mostly why he struggles even more against lefties than righties, since he emphasizes this pitch against them with little variety. DeSclafani’s sinker and slider allow fewer hits, but he makes mistakes with their location and concedes too many home runs with them.

Cleveland matches up well against him, ranking sixth in slugging against his top three pitches from righties and metrically they are even underachieving. They rank seventh in average exit velocity against them. The Indians have several dangerous lefties. Michael Brantley slugs .525 against righties and .480 in his past seven days. Switch-hitter Francisco Lindor slugs .564 against righties and is 10-for-23 with two doubles and four homers in his past seven days. Jose Ramirez slugs .641 against righties and .680 in his past seven days.

Morty just dropped the best pick-up line ever. I think I have a case of not-taking-you-to-dinner-itis it may be fatal. Lmao I will use it

Anthony DeSclafani (3-1, 5.08 ERA) vs. Cleveland's Mike Clevinger (3-1, 5.08). It will be just the seventh start of the season for DeSclafani, who began the season on the 60-day disabled list with a left oblique strain.
DeSclafani's last start came July 3, a 12-8 Reds loss to the Chicago White Sox in which DeSclafani got a no-decision after giving up five runs and six hits with five strikeouts and one walk in 5 1/3 innings.
DeSclafani was activated off the disabled list on June 5 and lost his first start, but in five starts since then he is 3-0 with a 4.71 ERA. He has two career starts against Cleveland and is 0-1 with a 5.25 ERA. In seven career starts in interleague games, DeSclafani is 1-2 with a 5.18 ERA.
Clevinger has had a solid first half of the season as the No. 4 starter in the Indians' rotation. His last start was a 15-3 win over Oakland on July 1. In that game, Clevinger pitched six innings, allowing three runs and eight hits with five strikeouts and two walks. In his last seven starts, Clevinger is 4-1 with a 2.80 ERA.
Monday will be Clevinger's second career start against Cincinnati. His first start against the Reds came in his major league debut on May 18, 2016, in Cincinnati, an 8-7 Indians win. Clevinger pitched 5 1/3 innings, allowing four runs and five hits with five strikeouts and one walk. He did not figure in the decision.
Clevinger has made one interleague start this year, a 4-0 loss to St. Louis on June 25 in which he worked five innings, allowing two runs and six hits with four strikeouts and two walks. In four career interleague starts, he's 0-2 with a 4.87 ERA.
The Indians are in the middle of a 10-game homestand against Oakland, Cincinnati and the New York Yankees. The Indians, who had a five-game winning streak snapped by the A's on Saturday, have lost their last two games.

Wow oops. Obviously didn‘t mean to repeat location twice regarding Mike‘s slider. Probably meant movement or quality

From now on all articles will have to be posted in advance, as on the weekend.

I am excited for football season.

We‘ll see how not getting to see how team plays day before and not getting to track tix percentages and line movement impact results. Will try to focus more on long-term useful pitching info like Clevinger on 6 days to ensure articles still as helpful

Won‘t have a whole evening to dedicate to a single game anymore. Will still be good articles obviously. Just wonder how they turn out. Won‘t be an issue past baseball season obviously and i‘ll move to football asap

Actually maybe it‘ll just be a pain tonight when I write two articles. I‘ll just be a day ahead all the time, still one game per evening. But i cant look at the fucking line let alone line movement lol obviously those are helpful betting tools. Ill just have to be sharp. This will hopefully make me better :)

Well Cleveland turned out to lay another egg against Oakland thus beginning to show poor form and it had have a ton of money on it, not that I could see that two days in advance when I wrote it. And it‘s a dud :(

Just frustrating. Writing an article the evening before a game is hard enough let alone two evenings

Cant care about losing tbh, I didn‘t see the money wagered on Cleveland. Ill have to do a better job anticipating that and return to my usual contrarian self.

Did they lose already VC? Last I checked there’s still a lot of game left. Desclafani pitches 3 or 4 no hit innings last week before the White Sox ended up scoring 12 runs . Cheer up man!

Did they lose already VC? Last I checked there’s still a lot of game left. Desclafani pitches 3 or 4 no hit innings last week before the White Sox ended up scoring 12 runs . Cheer up man!

Thanks man. I did 1H tho so id need a miracle

Back