Indians 9th inning dilemma

• Thread starter Thread starter tipyerbartender1
  • Start date Start date
T

tipyerbartender1

What do you do with Chris Perez? I'm not sure we see this guy again ... I'm not even sure he makes the playoff roster if the Tribe gets there. That they won those games he tried to cough up may be a big blessing in disguise, might have made Tito's mind up for him.

Joe Smith? Masterson? Cody Allen? Salazar? I think Masterson may get the next save op. Crazy enough to work.

You guys are full of answers.

Roster's back down to 26 in a few days if they make it. 40 for an extra game if they have to play one, but 26 for a WC game and beyond. If I'm calling the shots, I don't think Perez or Chisenhall make my 26. Perez is worthless to me if he's not closing games, and I'll go with Aviles at 3B, Giambi/Raburn/Stubby on the bench, carry an extra pitcher, adios Chis.

It's a crazy situation. Perez is mud in Cleveland right now, his off the field stuff, doesn't speak to the press, can't get anyone out, he's a mess.

Masterson, in my opinion, is ready to roll. I think he could pitch 9 innings next week or 1 tonight, whatever they think they need. I would just close with Smith, but I feel like Tito's going to go with Masty.

Masty needs to be in rotation IMO.

I think he's best suited for starting, but a strong argument can be made for using Masty to start a late or last inning of a close game. This is sort of unprecedented. I can't recall the wheels coming off a closer on an unclinched contender with three games to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Masterson certainly could close a game, but i doubt that he could pitch 2-3 consecutive days comfortably. His arm simply isn't trained that way right now; it's trained to go every 4-5 days. I think that committee is best approach, particularly given the number of options that Francona will have (Masterson, Shaw, Smith, Allen, Carrasco, 5* Danny Salazar). My guess is that Francona wants to get Masterson another inning of work this weekend, so you may well be right that Masterson gets next save opportunity depending upon when that opportunity and his inning of work occur.

Masterson certainly could close a game, but i doubt that he could pitch 2-3 consecutive days comfortably. His arm simply isn't trained that way right now; it's trained to go every 4-5 days. I think that committee is best approach, particularly given the number of options that Francona will have (Masterson, Shaw, Smith, Allen, Carrasco, 5* Danny Salazar). My guess is that Francona wants to get Masterson another inning of work this weekend, so you may well be right that Masterson gets next save opportunity depending upon when that opportunity and his inning of work occur.

Masty's got a rubber arm, and has relieved before. His injury wasn't an arm injury. I suspect he could pitch on back-to-back days. That said, if they take a one-run lead into the bottom of 9 tonight, I'd like to see Smith or maybe the guy who just pitched the 8th. I'd like to see Masterson start next week. In Boston.

It wouldn't seem that implausible for a starter to work out of the bullpen....nothing like a reliever being asked to start. These guys throw pretty much every day anyway, and with him only having to pitch an inning, there should be no problem at all with him coming back the next day (or two even) to throw another inning. It's not like he's being asked to pitch 7 innings, then come back and close out the next game.

It wouldn't seem that implausible for a starter to work out of the bullpen....nothing like a reliever being asked to start. These guys throw pretty much every day anyway, and with him only having to pitch an inning, there should be no problem at all with him coming back the next day (or two even) to throw another inning. It's not like he's being asked to pitch 7 innings, then come back and close out the next game.

That's what Terry Pluto said in his column in the Plain-Dealer today (http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_indians_need_to_cons.html).

I hadn't thought of that before either, and would've initially agreed with you (easier for SP to relieve than RP to start), but Pluto's generally credible and thoughtful and a comment like that is most likely paraphrasing a sentiment expressed by someone in the organization.

Rivera would be nice right about now. Tribe's bullpen is taking in water.

Mild surprise to me. Chris Perez is on the active roster for this game tonight. 11-man pitching staff. Notable omissions ... Ubaldo, who pitched 7 innings on Sunday and would be slated for Friday if the Tribe advances. And Zach McAllister, who is perfectly healthy, but I guess they feel covered in case of multiple inning weirdness with Masterson, Kazmir, and Kluber.

I can't imagine a situation in which Perez sees this game, other than Tribe being up like 7 or 8 runs.

Perez has no chance of pitching tonight!! I feel as if he is on the roster just for there not to be that distraction. He is also liked in the clubhouse and chemistry is great on this team right now!! Why mess with it!!

I think he's been at least a mild distraction ever since he clammed up to the press, not sure the other players appreciate fielding questions about him or speaking for him after a meltdown. But you're right, seems to be a pretty tight group. Will be more interesting to see if he's active for the next series if they make it. (I mean when they make it.) I can make a stronger argument for leaving him off that one, and someone's going to have to make room for Ubaldo.

I think he's been at least a mild distraction ever since he clammed up to the press, not sure the other players appreciate fielding questions about him or speaking for him after a meltdown. But you're right, seems to be a pretty tight group. Will be more interesting to see if he's active for the next series if they make it. (I mean when they make it.) I can make a stronger argument for leaving him off that one, and someone's going to have to make room for Ubaldo.

Very true points. If, (When) they get to Boston, someone will have to be left off because Ubaldo should start game 1. Someone will get left off and it should be Perez expecially if it is true that he told Francona to not pitch him the rest of the year. As a closer or pitcher at that confidence is a key. If you think you suck, then its about 99.9% chance that you will. Pitchers have to have a good mindset and apparently he does not have that anymore!! GO TRIBE!!!

god I hate Chris Perez....Im a big Francona, Swisher, and Giambi (in his late years) fan but all that cant make me root for a Tribe win b/c of Perez....dirty, shit talking, pothead d bag.

Back