Indiana vs Purdue Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I try hard to be contrarian and to see things that aren't obvious. But I can't help but see this game exactly as @B.A.R. sees it. But no shame in being on the same page with him, right?? :) Feel free to see what I can't see, discuss and BOL

Pick Indiana to Break Purdue's Hearts in Low-Scoring Thriller

Purdue (5-6) hosts Indiana (5-6) for their 93rd in-state rivalry game. The winner receives both the Old Oaken Bucket and bowl eligibility. Purdue is favored by a field goal. The total has been bet up to 49.

Game totals in Indiana games are typically determined by their run defense. The 'over' is 4-0 in Indiana games when the Hoosiers allow 100+ rush yards.

The Hoosiers allowed 40+ points to Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland and Wisconsin. Each of those teams feature either a balanced offense with an elite running back or a run-first offense.

Purdue's offense shares neither component. They rank 112th in run play percentage, meaning that they are a pass-first team. They rank 68th in yards per carry.

Against every other team besides the four aforementioned, Indiana has yet to allow over 20 points in four quarters. Their defensive successes have come against pass-first teams, such as UVA and Michigan State.

Detractors like to point out that Indiana is 2-3 ATS on the road. But they would be 2-0 ATS on the road against those two pass-first teams if they had not purposely allowed Michigan State to score late in the game so that their offense could get the ball back.

After containing Sparty's mobile quarterback Brian Lewerke and giving Penn State's quarterback Trace McSorley his worst rushing numbers on the season, Indiana seems ready for Purdue's mobile quarterback. Elijah Sindelar. Their strength against mobile quarterback derives in large part from their ability to penetrate into the backfield. The Hoosiers, led by Robert McCray and Tegray Scales' combined 19 tackles for loss and 11 sacks, rank 8th in team sack percentage.

Stylistically, Purdue's pass-first offensive style, that features a mobile quarterback, plays into the hands of Indiana's defense.

The Boilermakers' offense lacks the proven ability to threaten Indiana's top-30 defense. The only time that the Boilermakers scored 30+ against a conference opponent was against Minnesota, thanks to a last-second interception touchdown. In conference-play, they mustered one 20+ point performance against a top-50 defense, 24 against Iowa, 10 points of which were gifts from Iowa's special teams. Overall, Purdue's lackluster offense ranks 99th in points per play and 93rd in points per game.

Mike Debord, Indiana's offensive coordinator, is notorious for his conservative play-calling. His Hoosiers like to grind out long drives without taking many risks. They are 8th in plays per game but 116th in yards per play. Their difficulties on offense stem largely from their lack of rush attack. They rank 110th in rush yards per carry. Indiana's slow offensive tempo means that they will likely take more time to score. Their one-dimensionality on offense makes them less of a scoring threat.

The Hoosiers, behind Richard Lagow's mediocre passing numbers, lack the aerial attack to drive the game 'over.' But the key difference in the game will be Lagow's ability to connect with star wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr., who will enjoy a major size advantage against the cornerback defending him. Between Cobbs and Luke Timian, Indiana can exploit a Purdue secondary whose pass defense statistics are inflated by the lack of good aerial attacks which they have faced and which mask the lack of proven quality in their senior cornerbacks.

The Verdict

Purdue has hit 6 straight 'unders' because the one-dimensionality of their offense makes them more predictable for opposing defenses. Purdue's defense should help keep this game 'under,' but Indiana has enough of an advantage in the passing game to achieve an upset.

NCAAF Pick: Indiana +3 and 'Under' 49

I think those are the positions to take in this game but I am not a huge fan of betting bad vs bad in late November. You could have an Indiana-Maryland type game out of nowhere.

Hey Cavs,

I’ve enjoyed your write-ups and found some useful information this year. I disagree with you on the Indiana under though.

Throughout most of conference play, these teams have played quite the heavy under schedule. When you look at it, it’s nuts. They’ve both played a combination of very slow, weak offensive, and great defensive teams. I think both offenses are underrated and both defenses are overrated due to the competition. Also, Indiana isn’t slow. They’re coming in at 21.4 sec per play. These are 2 of the more faster tempo teams in the league the 2 most pass heavy, with both coming in with over 53% pass ratio. Neither team has faced much of a passing attack of late, so I think both can find some success. As you mentioned, Purdue’s pass defense isn’t all that great as well. Also, if one team is chasing the other, we could see them really ramp up the tempo, as they’ve done throughout the season.

Indiana:
Michigan (15th in defense, 73rd in offense, 61% rush, and 29 in TPP)
Michigan State (95th in offense, 6th in defense, 55% rush, and 27.4 TPP)
Maryland (nut over game)
Wisconsin (7th in defense, 33rd in offense, 67.5% rush, and 31.2 TPP)
Illinois(123rd in offense, 51% rush, and 28 TPP)
Rutgers ( 115th in offense, 44th in defense, 60% rush, and 29 TPP)

Purdue:
Michigan (15th in defense, 73rd in offense, 61% rush, and 29 in TPP)
Minnesota (23rd in defense, 116th in offense, 67% rush, and 29 in TPP)
Wisconsin (7th in defense, 33rd in offense, 67.5% rush, and 31.2 TPP)
Rutgers (44th in defense, 115th in offense, 60% rush, and 29 TPP)
Nebraska
Illinois(123rd in offense, 51% rush, and 28 TPP)
Northwestern (83rd in offense, 49th in defense, 50% run, and 23 TPP)
Iowa (99th offensive rating, 16th in defense, 54% rush, and 27.4 in TPP)

Purdue’s top tackler is also questionable for this one, sounds like he may go, but still isn’t completely healthy:
GoldandBlack.com
@GoldandBlackcom

#Purdue coach Jeff Brohm: Ja’Whaun Bentley ‘has some (injury) issues he’s going to have to deal with,’ but ‘we’re going to try to get him ready for the game.'

Early forecast is clear with a little wind. Bowl eligibility is on the line, but I think this game is played loosely. I think this over is good through any number we will see. I’d make it around 55. GL.

“They spread the field. They throw the football. They go with some tempo. This will be much more of a challenge for our defense just because of their style of offense,” Brohm said.

I can't decide on this game, I keep changing my mind which means I should probably not pick either one.

I wouldnt' say that. 165 plays, 950 yards, 3 drives inside the 10 resulting in just 6 points, and a TD wiped off the board with a clipping call. Weird game though.

Yeah cause clipping is legal? Ok Lagow marching 100 yards down the field for a garbage touchdown. Sounds lucky to me. Nice hit though.

Back