Indiana purposely allowed Mich St to score a TD to cover

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
"Bad Beats" on Sportscenter with SVP shows why it is so hard to win money betting football.

The first one is Wsconsin calling two timeouts, then kicking a useless FG at the gun to cover against Maryland AND send the total over.

The second one is Michigan State scoring a TD with only seconds left to cover against Indiana. I saw the TD in the hightlights, but what I didn't realize is that Indiana backed off and LET them score. If you had Indiana in this game watch it an weep.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21133642

I had Indiana plus the points and saw it live (and did weep) but I cannot complain when the coach tells his kids to do what I would tell them to do and want them to do if I had a ML bet. Still hurts.

The Wisconsin one is the sick one.

Wisconsin just wanted to make it a 4 score game instead of 3. And weren't the timeouts after the play clock ran down to nothing?

Wisconsin just wanted to make it a 4 score game instead of 3. And weren't the timeouts after the play clock ran down to nothing?

I didn't remember the time out part of it, but didn't they kick the FG with under a minute left? Up by 22 with 50 some seconds, I don't think anyone has to worry about Maryland scoring that many that quick if they didn't convert 4th down. Just go for it on 4th and 1 like most teams would there. Maybe you get it, game over, end the ball in your hands taking knees. That is how every coach wants to end it. Nobody really wants to put their D back out there with a minute left.

I didn't remember the time out part of it, but didn't they kick the FG with under a minute left? Up by 22 with 50 some seconds, I don't think anyone has to worry about Maryland scoring that many that quick if they didn't convert 4th down. Just go for it on 4th and 1 like most teams would there. Maybe you get it, game over, end the ball in your hands taking knees. That is how every coach wants to end it. Nobody really wants to put their D back out there with a minute left.

Wisconsin kicker missed a FG earlier in the game....teaching moment for the future....honestly, I was on Wisconsin and am still certain the kid missed that last kick....doesn't it look wide right?

The coach can say he was conducting the timeouts and FG as if it was a normal game situation to condition his players for how to handle a situation like that.

It is just not normally what most coaches do up by 22 pts with under 1m left. They could go for it and score a TD, sure. But kicking a FG there comes across as worse sportsmanship actually. Most of the time they go for it, probably get and and probably don't score and probably end the game on a single knee.

Kick was good I think. Deeper it went appears to be over the upright, but think it was in between. Don't think Gaglionia (sp) really needs the confidence boost, he's pretty good. But yeah, coach could spin that too, say he didn't want to let his kicker get out of there with the miss on his mind.

Or....or, just a thought, but some people may've been unhappy that Wisconsin dominated Purdue last week and didn't cover and maybe, those people...whoever they might be, I don't know, but maybe coach heard about some of that and said it ain't happening today!

My worst Indiana experience I'm pretty sure has to be 2015 at Michigan St. +15 and ML. If you remember the game there was some extremely heavy rain that came in right when IU got the ball for a couple drives, then went away! IU led early and only trailed by 1 or 2 pts until the 4th qrt. Then IU shit all over themselves and MSU scored the final 24 pts! It sucks when you have a big dog on a ML and it is looking pretty decent for you, then it starts going to hell and you are like, ok atleast cover and then they blow that - rough.

To end on a positive Indiana note, my most memorable win with them was 2006 home vs Iowa. Coach Hoeppner was fighting cancer and was in rough shape. They had an ok team and were fighting to get to a bowl. Iowa didn't finish the year good, but came in 5-1. I had +20.5. James Hardy had 3 TDs in the upset, biggest win for IU in 20 years up to that point.

How about the Antwan Randel El and Levron Williams IU teams. I liked those years.

Good stuff s--k...I remember not being positive I knew IU had a football program until Anthony Thompson came along, was pretty sure they were a basketball only school

Thompson was around right when I started watching college football. I was like who is this guy from Indiana with all those yards?

Reactions: KJ
Must have had Bielema's "chart" saying to go for 2 up 25 like he did against my squad. F that team. That's bush league.

They purposely let the clock run down all the way and then called TO and then ran another play. No problem with the TO's. I do have a problem unnecessarily running up the score (again).

Thompson was around right when I started watching college football. I was like who is this guy from Indiana with all those yards?
Kinda the same, I was just learning at that point, think the extent of my "gambling" was some local paper had a pick em contest every week lol

That was right when I started watching college football...

Great runners in the B1G back then...

Thompson
Thompson
Hoard
Boles
Ezor

That was your 1989 who's who of the B10 basically.

As I went to Big 8 games in Ames, to see Thurman Thomas and Barry at OSU and the plethora of whatever they had at OU and Nebraska in the wishbone was crazy even though we were losing 52-3...I mean I even witnessed Mike Gundy as a QB lol....but the rushing attacks from those 3 teams was insane. Spencer Tillman comes to mind as does Mike Rozier

Back then they didn't have scholarship limitations and NU/OU would roll in with 120 guys on the sideline where the kicker and a d back would have the same jersey number lol

My worst Indiana experience I'm pretty sure has to be 2015 at Michigan St. +15 and ML. If you remember the game there was some extremely heavy rain that came in right when IU got the ball for a couple drives, then went away! IU led early and only trailed by 1 or 2 pts until the 4th qrt. Then IU shit all over themselves and MSU scored the final 24 pts! It sucks when you have a big dog on a ML and it is looking pretty decent for you, then it starts going to hell and you are like, ok atleast cover and then they blow that - rough.

Yep. Remember that one quite vividly. Was on IU as well.

Back