IC: June 12th

• Thread starter Thread starter indiancowboy
  • Start date Start date
I

indiancowboy

As you know my term at another website has come to an end and that will probably be the best thing for my capping so I can focus on what I enjoy and that is school/capping. I guess it is similar to anything in life, when you can focus more on something, be appreciated for it and have less drama, it's probably the most basic standard recipe for success.

Tigers Run-Line +110

I trust Justin Verlander and the Tiger offense. The Tiger offense put up 15 runs on the Glavine and the Mets and they actually won 15-7 only for Leyland to be ticked off as he thought they had a lack of pitching that game. Go figure. However, the Tigers are facing the Brewers who when playing interleague ballgames and in particular, playing better teams, have struggled. I don't foresee their pitching holding up and the likes of Vargas and Suppan being able to sustain their play. This team received a very generous schedule to start off the season due to season's past and now that they are playing better teams, they are struggling. There are few teams that I would put the run-line on and the Tigers are one scoring 6.03 runs per game. The Tigers have won 6 of their last 8 games and Suppan has given up 23 earned runs in his last 6 starts. Doesn't seem horrible except for the fact he only pitches 5 innings on average and gives up those 4 earned runs during that stretch. The Tigers are no stranger to him, as they reeled off 17 hits and 6 earned runs last year when they faced him twice. Verlander had one bad start against the Indians a while back giving up 7 runs, that was only due to a back to back which is very tough for a pitcher to win right after he defeated that team as it is an issue of pride for the opposing team, and Verlander before that had given up 5 consecutive 2 earned run games.

Pirates/Rangers Over 9

I think this game has a good chance of going over. Recent trends show that their bats are picking up. The Pirates come off a rough series with the Yanks as you are aware and they want to get back on track. Texas actually has the worst road record in baseball, but at least they have been swinging the ball well of late. Texas reminds me of the old school Cincy Reds, where they had terrible pitching, but can swing the ball well - I guess that can be said about a lot of teams every year including this year's Yanks early on. I personally feel bad for Millwood as he was quoted as saying that he is doing everything he can to turn things around, but nothing seems to be working for him right now. Millwood has given up 30 earned runs in his last 6 games. His ERA's in each game? 9, 7.5, 7.95. 21.69, 7.2 and 17.21. I can't wager on the Pirates on the side either b/c I really don't trust Zach Duke, probably more than Millwood right now though. Duke is 2-6 on the year with a 5.75 ERA. Michael Young is starting to swing the ball well and basically 2 non-aces on the mound and the line is 9 which I'm willing to take a shot on the over with. The over is 5-0-1 following a Rangers loss and 6-0-1 in Pirates last 7 interleague games vs. a team with a losing record (actually all their last 7 games have been against losing teams).

Angels -135

You know who might be the hottest team in the league outside of the Mariners, probably the Angels for a long extended period of time (actually Yanks are on a good streak as well) winning 12/16. They come off a tough loss to the Cards in a game they gave up their lead, a game that I was on, and I think the bounce-back well today. I think the last time the Angels had back to back losses was May 23rd and before that May 6th. Escobar has pitched well this seasons except for 2 bad outings recently, but the Angels are 8-3 when is on the mound and he has a 7-3 record with a 2.76 ERA. Be careful with this line as I would have expected it to jump more, but it hasn't, but I like the Angels team as a whole and don't mind putting change on them. They still lead their division and Arroyo has had a tough year as he is 2-7 with a 5.01 ERA. The baseball "IQ" of the Angels is solid, probably equivalent to the A's, and this team can pick up on pitches very quickly. Arroyo's ERA in his last 4 games has been brutal 27, 13.50, 14.40 and 8.11 giving up 26 runs in his last 4 starts. Arroyo is no stranger to the Angels having pitched in the A.L. and I don't think Bronson has won an interleague game all year and even last year. Angels are 5-0 in their last 5 games as a road favorite of -110 to -150 and 7-1 in their last 8 interleague games. The Reds are 0-7 in Arroyo's last 7 starts as an underdog.

Some decent Dogs

If you're looking for some good dogs, I suggest maybe the Dbacks b/c Webb is 10-3 when is on the mound and Wang is just 5-4 when he is on the mound for the Yanks. This is a rematch of the past world series and should be a good game. Honestly, it's a coin flip between these 2 pitchers and offenses and the value is good for the dog here. I also think the Braves are a solid dog today as Slowey got hit for 10 hits last time and Davies always follows a good start with a bad start, i.e.: Earned runs of late: 4,1,2,1,8,5.

Other Leans that I did not play

Mets - I like John Maine a lot but the Mets just are not scoring any runs of late besides the Detroit series, so I am laying off although I think they clearly have the pitching edge today.

There is no total on the Cubs/Mariners game, but I think that game could go over with the M's hot streak and the fact that Washburn has not been pitching too well. Something to look at when the line comes out.

NBA Leans: The line here is incredibly interesting. Here you have a Spurs team that is not an underdog going into this game as I thought this line would be +1.5 for the Spurs or Cleveland favored by -1.5 and why could it not be conceivable for the Spurs to be underdogs given they were blown out by the Jazz at home in game 3. I call this game the Fulcrum game, whenever it is 2-0 in a series b/c it is a game that essentially tips the see-saw. However, it is just hard for me to believe the Cavs will blowout the Spurs b/c they just don't have answers for some of the matchup problems this team poses and this includes the big 3 of Parker, Duncan and Ginobli. They just don't have answers. Big Iggy can't cover Duncan, there is no answer for Parker as Snow is a offensive liability and who is to guard Manu? I do feel that the game goes cavs/over or spurs/under, but no play for me but those are my thoughts. I would not be surprised though if this was similar to the Pistons winning at Chicago in game 3 and the Spurs to win this game. But, no play as I'll give Cleveland the benefit of the doubt.

Thoughts on Barry Bonds

If Bud Selig actually suspends Barry Bonds prior to him breaking the record, it is very shady. That's all I'm saying. Look, I am no fan of Bonds and frankly, I think he has juiced and am fairly confident about that. However, it is very similar to the notion that Mcgwire, Sosa, Palmeiro and Canseco all juiced as well too. I just think that the media makes the guy out to be more of a monster than he actually is. I try my best to see both sides of the issue when everything is considered. I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning, and I personally believe that Major League Baseball might be the worst run entity out all the U.S. major sports. This is considering the day to day operations and not football pensions of course, which the NFL is having some serious problems with. At least, the NBA and NFL make decisions and stick to them. Bud Selig, can't make a decision at all, and to suspend a guy possibly as the indictment is to come soon prior to him breaking the record, and not doing this well before is ridiculous. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be indicted, but the timing is very disappointing.

That's what I got gents, looking forward to reading your posts.

take care,
ic

Real quick, I only looked at the Tigers RL and I am on that game as well, I love it actually. I will respond with some greater detail when I get back from the gym

Excellent post IC. Hang in there bro, don't let idiots affect your thinking, just let it go and move on, that's the best thing to do. :shake: You have plenty of guys here who respect you and your work.

I'll post my thoughts soon in my thread. Good luck tonight buddy. I like several of your plays there. :shake: :cheers:

E,

On the run, but nice look into the Mariners yesterday. The credit goes to you although I'm still irritated that Delucci was sent with 1 out and the bases juiced. :down:

Good to see you here exclusively IC! I have followed some of that crap at the other site and its ridiculous.

Have you talked to AirForceWR19 about joining this group over here?

Best of luck tonight my friend.

Nice and cozy in here IC.
Good luck with your picks today.

:7_17_4:

IC, Much appreciated. I actually didn't back the Mariners even though I liked them a lot, kind of upset with myself for not pulling the trigger, I went with 1 bet yesterday only, the Mutts and well nothing else to say about that.

Tigers - I agree with everything said here, really love this game. Nothing else to say. Suppan has done nothing to show me he can slow this Tiger offense down and the Brewers on the road = losers.

Angels - Another one that I will prob be on. Arroyo has been shelled in 4 straight games by some weak offenses and he pitches worse at home.. I don't know what is wrong with him but the Reds and their first series win in a while over the Indians don't scare me. The bullpen is a major liability, Freel on the DL kills them, they are a bad home team, and I like the way the Angels play baseball although I wish they played a little better on the road.

Pirates Over - I can't play totals, I am always on the wrong side no matter how hard I try to cap them but it seems to be a smart play and the totals master, Hile, is on the game as well.

Agree the price on the DBacks would warrant a shot but as a Yankee fan, my vision is clouded and I don't go against them. Wanger is just 5-4 but he is 2-1 w/ 2.78 in last 3 and in his career pitches MUCH better in June than April/May

I am on the Mutts and last game pissed me off but now with Kuo taking the mound they should be able to throw up more than 3 runs. One note though, Dodgers are now 29-1 when leading after 6 innings! Pretty impressive stat, I just can't see Kuo shutting them down despite his game vs. Padres last outting (#29 offense) and Pitt the game before that. Kuo has recorded 1out in Dodger stadium this yr.

Bonds - There is no doubt he took shit but at this point what is baseball trying to do? They can't go back and change the era, they are just trying to find a way to discredit it and I really don't have a problem with Bonds at all.

Best of Luck today

Green, what bothers me with the Angels, and I still am going to take them most likely, is whether they show up in their winning mode or not.

I could have told you straight ahead when they were still up 4-3 in St Louis that they were going to lose that one after juicing up the bases and scoring 0 from it. Just that kind of day. I also hope Vlad will get back to hitting homers and doubles with RISP, as at the moment I can't watch that unclutch mode he is stuck in. Vlad flied out. Grounded out. Rarely strikes out though :D But he needs to find his groove as Matthews isn't in killing mode either. However, Figgins started to hit again, having Kotchman and Anderson back helps the issue as well. I expected more from Hillenbrand though.

So they fill up the bases only to score 1 run, that's too much hassle for nothing, and of course the other team takes advantage of it. I do expect them to regress a bit after a few weeks just not yet. Escobar is too good for this clueless Reds' lineup and Arroyo should be shelled by the Halos.

:shake:

Hey IC

It's good to see you over here. You won't get the BS here as at the other site. These guys are really cool. They just talk sports and don't get into each other's business. GL I hope your personal life can get back on track now.

Good luck IC! I have been lurking here for a while and just wanted to say I have been shaking my head at the way you have been treated elsewhere. I enjoy reading your write-ups, and hopefully this is a place where you can post them in peace! :cheers:

Back