Ibra

Carolina Guy

Pretty much a regular
I'll never fully understand soccer even though I've been around it all my life. Why the FUCK does every club or country take their BEST PLAYERS OUT OF THE MATCH.

Up 1-0 with Ibra and less than two minutes after he goes off the pitch - it is tied 1-1.

no money on this by the way. Just don't f'ing get it. :puking:

PSG had already won their group. I'm sure they wanted to rest him some.

exactly same as teams rest starters if the game had no meaning. Why risk potential of injury when nothing is at stake. Could say the same for the NFL or even college FB 2h they would rest players after a blowout and the game is meaningless.

exactly same as teams rest starters if the game had no meaning. Why risk potential of injury when nothing is at stake. Could say the same for the NFL or even college FB 2h they would rest players after a blowout and the game is meaningless.

All I'm hearing so far are excuses. 1-0 is not a blowout even in a sport where most Americans think it is. And if the game is meaningless he doesn't need to play period. College and pro football guys only come out if the game is wayyyyy out of hand. Not when the other team is only down less than 7 points. But the fact remains, the great ones seem to always be taken out of the match somewhere after the 70th minute while the other starters play the entire match. In no other sport is this as prevalent as soccer/futbol.

Niumatalolo disagrees with this strategy ....

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<thead>[TR]
[TH="width: 125, align: left"]Navy[/TH]
[TH]CAR[/TH]
[TH]YDS[/TH]
[TH]AVG[/TH]
[TH]TD[/TH]
[TH]LG[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR="class: even"]
[TD="align: left"]Reynolds[/TD]
[TD]36[/TD]
[TD]240[/TD]
[TD]6.7[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]38[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Niumatalolo disagrees with this strategy ....

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="align: left"]Navy[/TH]
[TH]CAR[/TH]
[TH]YDS[/TH]
[TH]AVG[/TH]
[TH]TD[/TH]
[TH]LG[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="align: left"]Reynolds[/TD]
[TD]36[/TD]
[TD]240[/TD]
[TD]6.7[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]38
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
:thinking:

With Navy having already accepted their bowl bid and with the commanders trophy on the line against Army still to come.. he let his star player carry the ball 20 plus times in the second half of a meaningless football game against sjsu.

With Navy having already accepted their bowl bid and with the commanders trophy on the line against Army still to come.. he let his star player carry the ball 20 plus times in the second half of a meaningless football game against sjsu.

I gotcha. American sports simply don't adhere to the futballers strategy of taking guys out when the match is far from over no matter what is at stake.

All I'm hearing so far are excuses. 1-0 is not a blowout even in a sport where most Americans think it is. And if the game is meaningless he doesn't need to play period. College and pro football guys only come out if the game is wayyyyy out of hand. Not when the other team is only down less than 7 points. But the fact remains, the great ones seem to always be taken out of the match somewhere after the 70th minute while the other starters play the entire match. In no other sport is this as prevalent as soccer/futbol.

Right dude, College players are not assets, so you are telling me that if the Broncos have clinched the playoffs and have nothing to play for you would keep Manning out there an entire game where he could potentially have a season ending injury? Give me a break dude.

Why do you need a blowout to pull the starter? You also realize in other sports like baseball, basketball there are 82+ games, PSG did what they needed to do. They also have an important game on the weekend vs Lyon so why would they risk the guy who is their leader, the guy that scores over 50% of their goals, the guy who is one of their highest paid athletes on the team?

Crazy how you would think

Subbing out a striker for a defender shouldn't really be all that much of a surprise. No different than taking one of your big bats out of the lineup for a defensive replacement late in the game.

Right dude, College players are not assets, so you are telling me that if the Broncos have clinched the playoffs and have nothing to play for you would keep Manning out there an entire game where he could potentially have a season ending injury? Give me a break dude.

Why do you need a blowout to pull the starter? You also realize in other sports like baseball, basketball there are 82+ games, PSG did what they needed to do. They also have an important game on the weekend vs Lyon so why would they risk the guy who is their leader, the guy that scores over 50% of their goals, the guy who is one of their highest paid athletes on the team?

Crazy how you would think

I hear what you are saying, but the pros do it for like one half or one quarter in the last game of the season. On a rare occasion they sit out the entire game. We as sports fan already know exactly how long said guy is gonna play the week leading up to the game bc we've been told.

In soccer/futbol it happens all the time in any scenario.

If their group was decided and they had a league match in like three days, maybe he shouldn't have played at all?? Why play 80/90 mins?

It's just odd is all.

Subbing out a striker for a defender shouldn't really be all that much of a surprise. No different than taking one of your big bats out of the lineup for a defensive replacement late in the game.

But it's always the best player on the pitch who comes out of the match. Why can't it ever be one of the other goal scorers?

This is gonna be an asshole type of comment, but I believe it is so said guy can have the applause all to himself instead of when the match is actually over and everyone is celebrating the team.

This is gonna be an asshole type of comment, but I believe it is so said guy can have the applause all to himself instead of when the match is actually over and everyone is celebrating the team.

This is true, but it's the same as any sport, if you look at players who've had amazing performances the coach will always purposely have a sub with a few moments left so that player can get his due and respect from the crowd.

it is the same for this sport

But it's always the best player on the pitch who comes out of the match. Why can't it ever be one of the other goal scorers?

Best player? says who though? You might want to check, Ibra plays a ton of minutes dude. Why wasn't he replaced when he was playing for Sweden?
I think your assumption is incorrect, if you watch more games you will understand why subs are made for certain reasons, certain tactics and also a look ahead to the next game the club has. Simple as that.

I hear what you are saying, but the pros do it for like one half or one quarter in the last game of the season. On a rare occasion they sit out the entire game. We as sports fan already know exactly how long said guy is gonna play the week leading up to the game bc we've been told.

In soccer/futbol it happens all the time in any scenario.

If their group was decided and they had a league match in like three days, maybe he shouldn't have played at all?? Why play 80/90 mins?

It's just odd is all.

Conditioning in any sport teams/players do not like extended break.

Also you have to realize there are players who have private investors and also some contracts will also state that so and so player has to make so and so appearances in order to get bonuses. Simple.

Well, I don't know that it's always the best player but, in any event, if I can play devil's advocate for a second: 1) he came out, but Lavezzi and Cavani were still in, so it's not like Blanc went 180 and decided to go totally defensive and 2) 32 might not be old in the real world, but in soccer terms it is, and Ibrahimovic has played quite a bit the past few weeks.

Bottom line is he scored, a draw would have been enough to see them through, Olympiakos aren't much of a threat on the road, and PSG has a big match with Lyon on the weekend. It might seem like an odd move, but in soccer terms, not really.

Well, I don't know that it's always the best player but, in any event, if I can play devil's advocate for a second: 1) he came out, but Lavezzi and Cavani were still in, so it's not like Blanc went 180 and decided to go totally defensive and 2) 32 might not be old in the real world, but in soccer terms it is, and Ibrahimovic has played quite a bit the past few weeks.

Bottom line is he scored, a draw would have been enough to see them through, Olympiakos aren't much of a threat on the road, and PSG has a big match with Lyon on the weekend. It might seem like an odd move, but in soccer terms, not really.

... Which is why I started the thread. I appreciate all the responses and as some of you have stated a draw has a lot to do with it as well which is something I don't always factor in. In some cases (like today) being up 1-0 was like being up 2 goals. I'd just like to see the guys play up until at least 87/88th minute. Not for me to decide, though.

% of the desired result ( win or draw ) is higher with him off the field than on if you replace him with a defensive player. Up 1-0, they aren't pushing the attack anyway.... so his absence doesn't matter much.

they got a red card early in the 2nd half, you could argue that having him in there actually was a deterrent to victory at a certain point up 1-0

Back