I have a Sixer question

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
That means that SMH is required to answer if only because it's partially his fault that Donovan is out for the year and entirely his fault that the Eagles can't stop the run. All of you other smart people though, are more than invited to participate sa much or as little as you like.

Here's my question.

In trading AI, it seems to me as if Philly is basically saying they're willing to start completely over. Which is fine, good for them, but as a bettor this pricks up my ears.

I wonder if they might make a good, almost-blind fade for the rest of the year as they mail it in, perhaps looking to increase their chances at landing that man-child from Ohio St.

True, they're in the East, with some bad teams so they'll get some wins, but against decent teams, particularly from the West?

Thoughts?

Good thread Joe.

Along with SMh, other Philly guys like emkee, Cmoney and Smokedawg will all chime in. All passionate about the Sixers.

THEY SHOULD tank the season. They need a franchise player again in worst way.

Now, the problem is this. The Sixers have some young, talented SOLID players. Ashton Korver, Willie Green, Iggy and Carney are all going to flourish at times. This team will be better off down line but in pathetic Easy will happen to win some games. Should be interesting. The NBA adjusts lines pretty well and I expect a nice little AST run from Philly at some point soon.

I wasnt really sure why they overpayed Sam.. but if they can get durant or oden that would be a nice start. Iggy isnt an all star player.. at least not in my mind. I still like Louis williams and think he has some talent. Korver is a nice piece off the bench. They need to somehow hope Cwebb gets injured and has to retire to take his money off the books..

Good topic here...

I have to agree a bit... I think you'll be able to just see what type of lineup they go with. If they play Ollie and C Webb alot I think you'll see consistent losing that may cover the spread.

If they start going younger... Green, Korver 30 mins + ea/night, Iggy 40 mins+, Dalem, and especially Carner ..if these guys get alot of time you'll see more ups and downs in my opinion.. with chances for great performances... but overall would get beat and beat bad... more of a case of a few highs and more lows.

Thing is, they'd have to convince players with a certain amount of (deserved) personal pride to pretty much say "fuckit" for the next 60 games......I kinda doubt things really go that way. An NFL coach might be able to throw a few games with wackass playcalls, but I'm not so sure an NBA office could talk a coach into it...and if they could, can you imagine going to iguodala, webber, et al and explaining how for the good of the ball club they need to go 10-50 the rest of the way?

What I think we should do is keep an eye on them and the lines....perhaps against the top 5 teams, fade them regularly because they are a damned awful team right now, but against the bottom half of the league, you KNOW their opponents will be over-valued...at least semi-regularly.

I took the 76ers at 1.5:1 tonight against the celtics. I would do that every night, and I would expect to win perhaps 39 or 40% of the time.

AI's only been out for a couple games. I think they'll pull some semblance of cohesion together in a couple weeks and be able to have a few runs of wins not unlike the Grizz has managed a few times this year.

I would certainly not blind fade them any more than I would blind bet the Suns against the East, but I think you're absolutely right that as bettors, this is not an unwelcome event.

I certainly don't think they'd go to the players and tell them to dump games, or even tell Cheeks, 'hey, don't really try all that hard,' but as was said if they go strictly with the young guys to really see what they've got--and if they pick up a lot of guys with contracts that run out at the end of the year--it will likely be obvoious the purge is on and the message will be clear. Winning is somewhat optional.

I'm just looking to find the best way to profit off it, if possible.

Oh, and emkee, don't get me started on that guy. I'm pretty sure Koy Detmer crashed on that guy's couch for two weeks after the Birds cut him. How can I expect impartiality from a guy like that?

Joe Public said:
I certainly don't think they'd go to the players and tell them to dump games, or even tell Cheeks, 'hey, don't really try all that hard,' but as was said if they go strictly with the young guys to really see what they've got--and if they pick up a lot of guys with contracts that run out at the end of the year--it will likely be obvoious the purge is on and the message will be clear. Winning is somewhat optional.

I'm just looking to find the best way to profit off it, if possible.

Well, my thinking is that there will often be value in the lines...perhaps every day, but the top teams in the league will likely cover anyway.

The bottom half of the teams, especially in the east...not so much.

Ya know everyone says 'AI doenst make his teammates better' and all that bullshit...

Have these people seen the sixers play recently??

Maybe AI was making these bums better and this is just how bad they really suck

And i swear to god i just heard that he could possibly be in a 3 way with Denver and Portland with the Sixers ending up with Magloire and Joe Smith

Just shoot me now

As for the question at hand, any time Louis Williams is getting 20+ minutes in a game, i think its safe to say theyre in dire straits...

All i want for him is a lottery pick from Boston, Chicago (Knicks) or the Bobcats so we can get Durant and Oden...

That would be awesome...

:smiley_acbe:

Smokedawg said:
Ya know everyone says 'AI doenst make his teammates better' and all that bullshit...

Have these people seen the sixers play recently??

Maybe AI was making these bums better and this is just how bad they really suck

And i swear to god i just heard that he could possibly be in a 3 way with Denver and Portland with the Sixers ending up with Magloire and Joe Smith

Just shoot me now
are you serious?

I've seen so many trade rumors...

I'll believe one when the huge announcement comes. There won't be any missing it. ......I've heard too many "I heard it from a guy" stories.

Smokedawg said:
about AI making them better or about the trade rumor?

Yes and Yes.
about getting joe smith and jamaal magloire for ai :36_11_6:

per David Aldridge in the Inquirer -

Denver pitches three-way trade for idle Iverson

By David Aldridge

Inquirer Staff Writer

<!-- begin body-content --> Yesterday's installment of the Allen Iverson trade saga had the Denver Nuggets exploring an alternate way to obtain the 76ers' all-star guard, and the Golden State Warriors taking a step back and perhaps getting ready to drop out.

A source said yesterday that the Nuggets might be trying to involve a third team, the Portland Trail Blazers, in the deal. The proposed trade would send forward Nene to the Trail Blazers, who then would ship center Jamaal Magloire to the Sixers.

The Nuggets would send another player, possibly former Sixer Joe Smith, to the Sixers, and the Sixers would direct Iverson to Denver.

Magloire and Smith would give Sixers general manager Billy King what he wants: contracts in their last season. The 6-foot-11 Magloire, in his seventh NBA season, is making $8.3 million. Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick, is making $6.8 million.

Nene is making $10 million in the first year of a five-year contract, but as a base-year player, the Nuggets can take back only $6.35 million in salary.

Yes, send him to Denver, that would be fantastic. Fine, it would be fantastic for me, but it would be fantastic.

If i were a betting man id be very intrigued in placing a wager on Miami

Not sure what the sixers are gonna get, but Riley is very interested...

The last place I want to see him is in Miami. And I like Dwayne Wade, a lot. But I'd like to see AI go somewhere with guys who haven't won a championship yet or to a team that could help the league a bit by getting good.

If he goes to Miami it's just another case of the rich getting richer and why should we really care.

That said, if he were to go to Miami they would likely unload a number of ugly contracts set to expire at year's end, which would suggest the Sixers were officially entering the Oden sweepstakes.

Back