I Hate the Big Ten Network

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Multiple games all at the same time. A single channel. Regional cable channels get the game with "most regional interest".

Haven't we be down this road before back when it was ABC and the solution was GamePlan. Now there is no real solution unless you maybe have satellite service and they maybe agree to carry the other games on overflow channels. On what? PPV? For free? Doubtful. Bet you will have to pay for Northwestern vs. Northeastern.

This is just dogshit. They need to run athletic conferences and stay away from being media whores and moguls.

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=PressHeadline>Six of 11 Conference Teams to Kick Off on Network</TD></TR><TR><TD class=BodyCopy>
Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State to join Indiana, Minnesota
i
n 2007 season launch on Sept. 1

CHICAGO — Fans of the Wolverines, Buckeyes, Nittany Lions and Wildcats can tune in to the Big Ten Network on Sept. 1 to see their teams kick off their seasons, as conference and network officials today announced the schedule for the network's first three weeks. The Big Ten Network earlier announced six games that will air in prime time, including season openers for Minnesota and Indiana.

"All eyes are on the Big Ten this year, and we are thrilled to air a total of 17 football games during the first three weeks of the season," said Big Ten Network President Mark Silverman. "We're also excited to offer more in-depth analysis and complementary programming which fans of these and every other Big Ten university will want to watch. We'll be getting off to a great start with these games, and we know that fans will want to see them."

All games produced by the Big Ten Network will be available to cable and satellite operators nationwide as part of their agreements to carry the network. Whenever the Big Ten Network is producing more than one game airing at the same time, the network will split the feeds regionally among cable operators to allow Big Ten fans to watch the game with the most regional interest. In addition, cable and satellite providers that have agreed to carry the network will be offered the chance to carry the additional games via "overflow" channels.

The conference's remaining home games will be selected as the season progresses. The majority of the games airing on the Big Ten Network will be shown in high definition (HD).

The football games that will air on the Big Ten Network include:

Saturday, September 1
Appalachian State at Michigan, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Youngstown State at Ohio State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Florida International at Penn State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Northeastern at Northwestern, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Bowling Green at Minnesota, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Indiana State at Indiana, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Saturday, September 8
Akron at Ohio State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Nevada at Northwestern, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Bowling Green at Michigan State, Noon EDT/11a.m. CDT
Miami (Ohio) at Minnesota, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Eastern Illinois at Purdue, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Western Illinois at Illinois, 7 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. CDT
Syracuse at Iowa, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Saturday, September 15
The Citadel at Wisconsin, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Buffalo at Penn State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Akron at Indiana, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Duke at Northwestern, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

The Big Ten Network is a national television network, available to all cable and satellite providers nationwide, that will allow fans to see their home teams regardless of where they live. The network currently has national agreements in place with DirecTV and AT&T and also a local agreement with Buckeye CableSystem in Toledo, Ohio, for more than 150,000 subscribers in northwestern Ohio and southeastern Michigan.

Additionally, the network has agreements pending with more than 40 other cable operators within the eight states of the Big Ten. In total, the network currently is available to viewers in 16 million homes.
The Big Ten Network announced last month that ESPN veteran Dave Revsine will be its lead studio host. Other programming, including pregame and postgame shows, will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

The programming on the Big Ten Network and alternative platforms will include, but is not limited to:​
  • More than 35 football games each season​
  • More than 105 regular season men's basketball games, with four to six weeknight games and four to seven weekend games per week​
  • A nightly studio show including segments from each campus​
  • Women's sports, including basketball, volleyball, soccer and softball​
  • More than 170 Olympic sporting events including baseball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, swimming, diving and more​
  • Classic games and historical footage from ESPN and ABC libraries​
  • Original campus programming produced by Big Ten member universities showcasing their academic excellence, talented students and award-winning programs​
  • Weekly coaches shows​
In addition to airing more coverage of Big Ten sports than ever before, the Big Ten Network will also provide numerous benefits to communities around the Big Ten, including increased exposure for women's sports, providing positive role models for girls; a greater economic impact to the communities from added sporting event production, with the potential to generate higher attendance; and greater national exposure for the excellence that surrounds the academic endeavors of Big Ten universities, some of the most highly regarded in the nation. Also, an internship program at each of the 11 universities will offer students on-the-job training for careers in sports, television and entertainment.

About the Big Ten Network: Launching this August, the Big Ten Network is dedicated to covering the Big Ten Conference and its 11 member institutions. The Big Ten Network will provide unprecedented access to an extensive schedule of conference sports events and shows; original programs in academics, the arts and sciences; campus activities; and associated personalities. Sports programming will include live coverage of more major men's and women's events than ever before, along with news, highlights and analysis, all complemented by hours of university-produced campus programming. The network is available to all cable and satellite carriers and television distributors nationwide, with most programs offered in stunning high-definition television (HDTV). The Big Ten Network is a joint venture between subsidiaries of the Big Ten Conference and Fox Cable Networks.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

who wants to watch any of these horseshit games anyway?

I do. I watch 15-20 games every week on average, especially the dogshit games that nobody likes. If you can get a feel for those shitty teams, you can make alot of money.

I agree with RJ there. i am going to try to get a feel for the lesser watched games this year. Hopefully sneek in some big winners with lack of attention on them from most people.

this fuckin blows, up at school i used to get up big 10 games on abc. now i won't get them at all, and my small school town dosen't have any sports bars. damn it damn it damn it

This apparently will not be part of my local cable provider and I am quite pissed. Fuck comcast.

if you have direct tv your in the clear though..or charter or whatever the hell the other 8 midwest states offer.

You go ahead and stick to the big high profile games where the spreads are the toughest to beat.
I'll take these shit games where it is much easier to make money'an_horse'

I dont care what games are on. No one can watch more than 2-3 at once a really see everything unless you have 12 monitors sitting in your TV room.

But whats more important here is that guys like us are getting screwed by Cable and being forced to BUY more special programming.

I dont want any cable server to control my basic programming and start adding programming that I may not want and add it into my monthly basic plan.

If the conusmer wants to pay for special sports programming, like the BIG 10, then go ahead and be a sucker and buy it. Eventually YOU will be paying for LOCAL teams in the NFL which are free now because they are sold out.

This is what has ruined sports all together anyway. The salaries have skyrocked because of TV revenues from cable viewers. The Stadiums are all smaller than they ever were (Baseball and Pro Football) so they could jack up the cost for tickets and not have to sell more than 40-55K for any given game. The remaining cash flow comes from CABLE - and YOU the cable subscriber, who pays for all the extra programming, is the cause.

We all should be getting cable nearly for free, as the ADVERTISERS pay for all the costs to market themselves. BUt NOOOOO we're getting DUPED. And, more and more, the cost is rising because the consumer is forced to pay for programming that they may not want.

Here in NE Ohio they are trying to add a few dollars to EVERYONE'S monthly basic and add in the BIG 10 games. Thats wrong. They are getting massive revenues from advertisers to show them anyway and duping US whether we watch them or not. Plus we all were geting plenty of BIG 10 Games at no-cost last yea,r so now they want to take it away and charge us for them???

Tell your cable company to shove it up their ass. And while youre at it -switch to the dish.

The two main cable providers in the state of Wisky covering Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay and everything in between hasn't picked up the Big 10 network either. If F'n blows.

You go ahead and stick to the big high profile games where the spreads are the toughest to beat.
I'll take these shit games where it is much easier to make money'an_horse'

Holy moly a Bull sighting!

Good to see you around man. Love your insight:tiphat:

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

let alone that I cant watch the OSU game next Saturday because Warner Cable does not have a contract with Big 10 network

B10 wants the channel to be lower, as in the ESPNs (32-35 here). Warner Cable wants to put it up in the 60s ir 70s:whip:

DirecTV sales in the midwest are going to skyrocket.

Best way to go anyway. Just get rid of your cable company.

yep ber, called them today and they told me that...I get it on my total choice plus package...am pumped...

Back