I don't normally do this. California Chrome=2014 TRIPLE CROWN WINNER

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
He certainly looked the part on Saturday. Here's my concerns:

1) Will the workload get to him? Started his 2yo career last April, which is pretty early for a Triple Crown candidate. The Derby will be his 11th race in 12 months. That's a bigger workload than even Oxbow had last year, and he barely made it through the Belmont and never raced again.

2) How well will he travel? 10 races and still hasn't left Southern California yet. Seems to love the dirt at Santa Anita, but until he works out at Churchill that question will be there. If you remember the last SA Derby winner to challenge for the Triple Crown, I'll Have Another, had experience with travel, having raced at Saratoga at 2.

3) Will the weather matter? CC has never raced on anything but a fast track. His mud pedigree is OK but others may be better should we get a sloppy track similar to last year.

NOPE, WON'T EVEN WIN DERBY

On Derby Day, I expect California Chrome to be the fav and i'll be against him, i'm gonna say he hasn't beaten anything in Cali, i'll be against Cali 3yo's and also going to question whether or not he wants to go 1 1/4, Hoppertunity was more impressive in gallop out which to me means he wants the added distance more.

The performance of the weekend was Wicked Strong imo.

I don't think any of the east coasters look that intimidating..

I think chrome has the versatility and just god given talent to do this.. Horse reminds me of point given..

My God, I love horses. I just know very little about them. I need a sit and learn from P2W at colonial downs for the VA Derby! :)

1625726_10203851764278292_4730042009251715405_n.jpg

Hate to see P2W against him but been waiting for a true triple crown contender (prior to KY Derby winner hype) for awhile now and with the watered down competition I think this could be the year. Hoppertunity out now too, this horse may just be for real. GL Gyno.

With Wicked Strong being in the 20 spot that's going to give CC an easier path to victory.

tbh I think the 15 and 16 horses present the biggest challenge. Will be fun to watch. lots of hype on CC coming in and we'll see if he can live up to it. My father in law has been betting horses for 30+ years and I haven't seen him this excited about a horse since Big Brown.

He looked the part today. Good luck .. hopefully no physical issues so they can run him all three. His sperm just became invaluable

He wins Preakness and gets beat @ Belmont, im in a win win situation, I'll be at Belmont so i'm either going to make money beating him or witness history

Past horses get to this spot then falter....they just are tired at this point and sometimes injuries have stopped better horses than CC

Im pulling for you gyno and I actaully said the same thing to Stall.....CC is gonna go triple

nice horse in a really fortunate situation....but a great story either way

It's going to depend on the field and how much early pace is in the race. Chrome figures to be on the pace or just a length or two off it. Wicked Strong, Samraat, Commissioner, Intense Holiday, Danza, Tonalist, Ride on Curlin, Commanding Curve.....they'll all be sitting behind Chrome no matter how fast or slow the pace is. Not sure who will be in the field yet that will want to press the pace, Uncle Sigh maybe? Vicar? Wildcat Red? Social Inclusion? Are any of them coming?

Belmont is a stayer's race. If Chrome is allowed to tick off 24+ quarter miles then he looks like he can run these guys off all day. If they go 23&3 and 47 then he's going to run out of gas. Smarty Jones was undone by a sub 23 third quarter.

It's obvious that a mile and a half is stretching it for this cal bred. But I think there are some factors that work in his favor that could stretch him to a win.

One is the fact he is such a versatile horse, he doesn't have to get into a speed duel, he could sit right off the pace and rate. If he gets a slow pace to run into that will help his stamina issues. Another is the fact that this 3yr old crop appears weak.

A mile and a half and running 3 races in 5 weeks is a tough thing to ask any horse but CC should have a great shot, he has the style to win this race. He doesn't need the lead and he won't be too far off the pace.

Belmont is a stayer's race. If Chrome is allowed to tick off 24+ quarter miles then he looks like he can run these guys off all day. If they go 23&3 and 47 then he's going to run out of gas. Smarty Jones was undone by a sub 23 third quarter.

Spot on Gandolf. I thought Smarty was gonna do it. In my eyes he was the best horse to finish the TC but got gased but he left it ALL out there at Belmont. I would have liked to seen Barbaro get his shot at it.

Is there a horse in the past that you thought had a legitimate shot at TC but maybe lost the Derby or had a bad run in the Derby or Pimlico, injury, trainer decision etc?

Gyno, GL I will be pulling for CC. Nasal Strip or not.

Point given was the horse that should of won the tc..

Brutal trip in derby..

Social Inclusion entering the Belmont would be a big negative for Chrome. Not that SI will win but he can definitely soften up the favorite.

A little bit of good news for Chrome, Danza is not running in the Belmont. Would've been a big player.

Current probable field for the Belmont Stakes:

California Chrome (Art Sherman/Victor Espinoza)
Commanding Curve (Dallas Stewart/Shaun Bridgmohan)
Commissioner (Todd Pletcher/Javier Castellano)

Kid Cruz (Linda Rice/TBA)
Matterhorn (Todd Pletcher/TBA)
Matuszak (Bill Mott/Mike Smith)
Medal Count (Dale Romans/Robby Albarado)
Ride On Curlin (Billy Gowan/John Velazquez)
Samraat (Rick Violette/Jose Ortiz)
Social Inclusion (Manny Azpurua/TBA) - 50/50 to run
Tonalist (Christophe Clement/Joel Rosario)
Wicked Strong (Jimmy Jerkens/Rajiv Maragh)

Candy Boy (John Sadler/Gary Stevens) -not running
Intense Holiday (Todd Pletcher/TBA) - retired
Ring Weekend (Graham Motion/Alan Garcia) - not running

Last edited:
If Social Inclusion scratches out, which is getting more likely, you'll have three horses with tactical speed in Chrome, Tonalist and Samraat, with the rest all confirmed off the pace types. The pace could be pretty tepid and if they let Chrome get out front at 48+/1:13+ he'll be very, very tough to reel in.

Someone is going to have to run his horse against type and basically sacrifice him forcing a faster pace if they expect to stop the Triple Crown.

some think he worked out too fast..

I think the key is a slowish pace. We need 6f's in 113 ish.

Social Inclusion officially out. The pills have been drawn.....

1 Medal Count 20/1
2 California Chrome 3/5
3 Matterhorn 30/1
4 Commanding Curve 15/1
5 Ride On Curlin 12/1
6 Matuszak 30/1
7 Samraat 20/1
8 Commissioner 20/1
9 Wicked Strong 6/1

10 General a Rod 20/1
11 Tonalist 8/1

Ironic that CC is following in the footsteps of Secretariat for Triple Crown post positions : 5, then 3, now 2

[TABLE="class: Grid"]
<tbody>[TR="class: NonAlt"]
[TD="class: MiddleRight Currency"]
[/TD]
[TD]Pending
[/TD]
[TD]5/17/14 4:00pm Horses Other Sports 12501 California Chrome wins Triple Crown +270* <small>vs</small> California Chrome won't win Triple Crown [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

lets get it

WAGER
GameDate Ticket#:121468966
Jun 02 12:01 AM
User/Phone INTERNET / -1
Date Placed May 03 03:32 PM
Sport
PROP
Description HORSE RACING - TRIPLE CROWN WINNER
[80201] CALIFORNIA CHROME +600
Risk/Win

WAGER
GameDate Ticket#:122456112
Jun 07 06:00 PM
User/Phone INTERNET / -1
Date Placed May 17 05:33 PM
Sport
PROP
Description WILL CALIFORNIA CHROME WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN?
[81131] YES +200
Risk/Win

WAGER
GameDate Ticket#:123233838
Jun 07 06:00 PM
User/Phone INTERNET / -1
Date Placed May 31 07:51 AM
Sport
PROP
Description BELMONT STAKES (BELMONT PARK) - WINNER
[80401] CALIFORNIA CHROME EV
Risk/Win

[TABLE="class: Grid"]
<tbody>[TR="class: NonAlt"]
[TD="class: MiddleRight Currency"][/TD]
[TD]Pending[/TD]
[TD]5/17/14 4:00pm Horses Other Sports 12501 California Chrome wins Triple Crown +270* <small>vs</small> California Chrome won't win Triple Crown[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

lets get it

you got better odds than I could get after derby. But, let's get it.

Think I was one year off.

Crazy the same jockey in the same position two years straight.

Back