I desire opinions on playing a WR when his QB is your opponent's starter

redbearde

Pretty much a regular
.....seems like a useless proposition to me. Please explain how this is incorrect.

I have Marvin Harrison, and he has Peyton, btw.

this league uses 3 WRs

those who are not on a bye or injured (and expected to not play) are

Bernard Berrian
Greg Jennings (obviously I'm starting him)
Vincent Jackson

the question is, should I use Marvin instead of Berrian or Jackson knowing that anything Marvin gets, my opponent also gets...thereby essentially nullifying my WR spot. It would also neutralize some of peyton's production, but he's going to get more than just tosses to Marvin...i would think, so it's not like nullifying a QB for a WR slot.

buffalo's secondary is a bit dinged up...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/injuries/BUF

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="bottom" height="50"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="40"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle">Injuries

</td> <td valign="middle">
</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr> <tr><td><hr size="1"></td></tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">QB</td><td align="left" width="20%">Trent Edwards</td><td align="left" width="10%">HEAD</td><td align="left" width="10%">PROBABLE</td><td align="left" width="45%">Bills QB Trent Edwards (head) is listed as probable for Week 7 vs. San Diego. Edwards has practiced in full all week and will play for the first time since leaving Week 5's game against the Cardinals. (Updated 10/17/2008)</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">TE</td><td align="left" width="20%">Derek Fine</td><td align="left" width="10%">HAND</td><td align="left" width="10%">DOUBTFUL</td><td align="left" width="45%">The Bills listed WR Roscoe Parrish, QB Gibran Hamdan, RB Xavier Omon, RB Corey McIntyre, TE Derek Fine and DL Chris Ellis among their inactives for Week 5 at Arizona. (Updated 10/05/2008)</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">C</td><td align="left" width="20%">Melvin Fowler</td><td align="left" width="10%">ELBOW</td><td align="left" width="10%">QUESTIONABLE</td><td align="left" width="45%">
</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">CB</td><td align="left" width="20%">Terrence McGee</td><td align="left" width="10%">KNEE</td><td align="left" width="10%">OUT</td><td align="left" width="45%">Bills starting CB Terrence McGee will not play in Sunday's AFC game against the San Diego Chargers. McGee will miss his second consecutive game because of a left knee sprained in Buffalo's win at St. Louis last month. Rookie Leodis McKelvin will start in McGee's place. (Updated 10/17/2008)</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">WR</td><td align="left" width="20%">Roscoe Parrish</td><td align="left" width="10%">HAND</td><td align="left" width="10%">PROBABLE</td><td align="left" width="45%">Bills WR/punt returner Roscoe Parrish practiced for the second time since surgery to repair ligament damage in his right thumb that forced him to miss the past two games on Wednesday. His status for Week 7 vs. San Diego is questionable. (Updated 10/15/2008)</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">DE</td><td align="left" width="20%">Aaron Schobel</td><td align="left" width="10%">FOOT</td><td align="left" width="10%">QUESTIONABLE</td><td align="left" width="45%">Bills starting DE Aaron Schobel (foot) is questionable for Sunday's game against San Diego. Schobel didn't practice all week and has been wearing a protective boot on his left foot to help heal a ligament and bone injury. He aggravated the injury against the Cardinals on Oct. 5, making him more likely to also miss Sunday's game. (Updated 10/17/2008)</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">S</td><td align="left" width="20%">Ko Simpson</td><td align="left" width="10%">HAMSTRING</td><td align="left" width="10%">PROBABLE</td><td align="left" width="45%">According to The Sports Xchange, Bills DB Ko Simpson left Week 5 at Arizona in the second quarter with a hamstring injury. (Updated 10/08/2008)</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" valign="middle" height="17"><td align="middle" width="10%">10/19/08</td><td align="middle" width="5%">CB</td><td align="left" width="20%">Ashton Youboty</td><td align="left" width="10%">FOOT</td><td align="left" width="10%">QUESTIONABLE</td><td align="left" width="45%">Bills DB Ashton Youboty led his team with eight tackles in their Week 1 win over the Seahawks. Also contributing were DB Donte Whitner (six tackles), DL Marcus Stroud (six tackles, half a sack) and LB Paul Posluszny (six tackles). (Updated 09/07/2008)</td></tr></tbody></table>

this is a bit more revealing:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/466894.html

The Buffalo Bills’ secondary could have a much different look when they meet the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

Bills coach Dick Jauron confirmed the obvious that cornerback Terrence McGee will miss his second straight game with a sprained knee. Meanwhile, cornerback Ashton Youboty is very questionable after being limited in practice the last two days.

Youboty has been dealing with an achy foot that kept him out of a couple of practices during the bye week. He’ll likely be a game-time decision on Sunday.

“He’s just sore,” Jauron said of Youboty. “He does individual work and is very limited in team and in the [scout team] stuff. We were just trying to get him through it. We’ll have to see how that thing feels at game time.”

If Youboty can’t play, the Bills’ secondary will be short-handed against one of the best pass offenses in the NFL. Veteran starter Jabari Greer and rookies Leodis McKelvin and Reggie Corner are the team’s only healthy corners. McKelvin is expected to start in McGee’s spot.

The good news for the Bills is versatile strong safety Donte Whitner has experience playing cornerback against slot receivers. Whitner also is expected to play some at free safety with starter Ko Simpson slowed by a tight hamstring. Reserve safeties Bryan Scott and George Wilson could see some playing time as well.

“I’m going to be in a lot of different roles: nickel, free safety, strong safety,” Whitner said. “You’ll see a variation of different places I’ll line up out there and I accept the challenge, I welcome it.”

Should be an interesting matchup. I'm not scared of Jackson's production.

My question is more along the lines of how different people think about playing a WR when his QB is your opponent's starter. I included my options because tdot said it was relevant.

if qb tds are worth 4 pts and pass yards are 1 per 25 i'd go with harrison

okay, I've only played in a simple scoring structure league, I guess. If WR tds get more points than a QB td, then that would certainly make good sense. unfortunately, in my league it's like this:

QB Tds are 6. 50 passing yards = 1 pt.
WR Tds are 6. 20 receiving yards = 1 pt.

So the only way I come out ahead is if Marvin gets a shitload of yards and NO tds....and that ain't how it works with him. If he gets a 30yd+ catch, then he's more than likely going to get a TD.

thanks for the response brewer. It's helping me think through this.

See, but I think that cancelling out a third of Manning's points is worth it. I mean, the fact is, if Harrison scores 8 points, Harrison scores 8 points and Manning gets that benefit. It's not like if you bench Harrison, Manning won't get those points for him.

So its kinda silly that you are even thinking about him having Manning - the question is simply - will Harrison outscore Berrian? And I would say the answer to that is no. I think you have to start Harrison.

Harrison isn't going to win the game for you this week, no doubt, but hopefully one of the other guys in your starting lineup will. You play your best players. Period.

See, but I think that cancelling out a third of Manning's points is worth it. I mean, the fact is, if Harrison scores 8 points, Harrison scores 8 points and Manning gets that benefit. It's not like if you bench Harrison, Manning won't get those points for him.

So its kinda silly that you are even thinking about him having Manning - the question is simply - will Harrison outscore Berrian? And I would say the answer to that is no. I think you have to start Harrison.

Harrison isn't going to win the game for you this week, no doubt, but hopefully one of the other guys in your starting lineup will. You play your best players. Period.
:4_12_13:

Well, Harrison still has a half to produce, but I sure hope you ignored me and played VJack and Berrian...

I didn't ignore you, but I did play VJack and Berrian. :)

I wanted an explanation on the thinking behind playing a guy when his production depends on the production of one of your opponent's key guys, and I think I got that.

Back