I am pounding Koji Uehara and the Orioles

• Thread starter Thread starter ColinKaepernick#10
  • Start date Start date
is he really that good though? I figure if the red sox, yanks, dodgers werent too interested how good could he be

I don't think the Orioles gave him 10 million because he sucks.

Baltimore desperately needs starters -- their rotation before reaching a preliminary agreement with Koji Uehara was Jeremy Guthrie and four guys with the initials T.B.D. -- but is Uehara really the best fit for the Orioles?

Uehara tends to work around the plate with good command of average stuff and, like many Japanese pitchers, throws his fastball in the upper half of the zone, which will make him susceptible to the long ball. This combination was the main red flag on Kei Igawa, and Hideki Irabu and Tomo Ohka were also extremely homer-prone in the U.S. Uehara's advantage is that his command is better than that of any of the other three pitchers, and he does pound the strike zone, issuing just 195 walks in 1,549 career innings in NPB.

Camden Yards has, over the past few years, played as a good home run park. So it's a bad fit for Uehara, whose greatest weakness is going to be the long ball. The signing also means Uehara has to face two of the best offenses in baseball, the Yankees' and Boston's, eight to 10 times; both lineups are patient and feature plenty of power, and it's possible that Tampa Bay's will be in that discussion by the end of the year. The Orioles do need starters, but Uehara will have to be extra-precise to succeed in that environment.

FWIW, Keith Law's analysis of the signing in January

I feel great that most people cap it that way, yet the line has dropped 45 cents.

I don't think u r getting the right price to back the O's at this point, would have liked to get +160 or 70 and taken a shot. However now that they r +135 or 40 hard to find the value in a guy making his big league debut. Wang could very easily return to form I mean the guy is 46-15 over the last 3 years. Nothing to suggest this O's team is gonna light him up. Think NYY ml is now down to where it should have opened but good luck w/ your action.

I got +145 in Vegas there's still some of it out there. Wang is coming off a torn foot tendon right? Someone obviously knows he's not right. I don't have the spring numbers in front of me but I don't think he was in top form.

2009 spring 6 games started 1-2 4.15 era 21.2 inn 25 hits 16 r 10 er 3 hr 4 bb 10 k's

given the member name ... any relation to nickfazekas ?

Wish you luck on this play and you may be onto something.

Back