Hypothetical Cal-West Virginia line

pstone

Pretty much a regular
Guys:
I tried this a couple of years ago. Some posters saw the value in it; others viewed it as a useless, inexplicable exercise in futility and stupidity.

If you fall in the latter category, please ignore this post. If you understand, please participate and chime in.

Assuming they played on a true neutral field, what would be your Week 1 line for Cal and West Virginia?

Thanks and good luck this season,
Paul

Recently, I was thinking about Cal vs Texas...two polar opposites. I don't have numbers yet, but I should soon. GL this year Paul.

Wvu -4

im behind on my numbers, only 1 run through all fbs teams, I normally do 3 or 4 to be confident.

WV -6.5......Mounties finally have some experience on D and I really liked what I saw from the QB Howard last year after Trickett got his 15th concussion. 8 TD 0 INT in limited duty.

CAL -1. Loss of starter at QB for WV is enough to not be a favorite on neutral field. Cal would be more improved from LY to this year IMO.

Guys:
TCG, jimmymo and myself perhaps a little more bullish on those Cal Golden Bears.

I made it a Pick.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback,
Paul

WV -3.5

Cal undervalued going into the season, and lots of question marks for WVU. But WVU's secondary is all back, and think they can do enough to slow down Cal's limited running game.

I always ask myself, "which defense do I trust to get a stop or two?" WV has 9 starters back from a D that shut down Baylor and did a reasonably good job vs TCU. Cal was torched by pretty much everyone. To me, wv is much closer on O to Cal than Cal is on D to wv.

I always ask myself, "which defense do I trust to get a stop or two?" WV has 9 starters back from a D that shut down Baylor and did a reasonably good job vs TCU. Cal was torched by pretty much everyone. To me, wv is much closer on O to Cal than Cal is on D to wv.

Agree completely...I'm trying to look at the SoCar/UNC game in the same light but I can't quite figure it out. Subjectively I think SoCar is the better team but that may just be bc they've beaten UNC recently and have had more recent success.

Both defenses were abysmal last year and both have new DCs. I think SoCar will have a slightly better defense this year. Of offense SoCar has a new QB, Pharoah and a couple of good RBs. UNC has basically everyone back from an offense that showed signs of being excellent but could also be wildly inconsistent. Not to take the thread off in a tangent but I can't figure this game out

I think Scarolina is a few held leads away from being a larger favorite in this game. They really had some bad chokes. Quality juco movement to south carolina, new DC ... Seems they should be equally improved as unc who will be better this year ... but scarolina was quite a bit better than unc last year. I took them at minus 1 i think it was .. just asking them to win.

I have Cal-2.

Thanks for throwing these out there Paul. I think it's a great exercise to see everyone's opinion on teams.

Back