Hurricane Ike (Currently Cat 2 and Hitting Galveston) Tracking Thread

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Another week, another hurricane, and likely another loss of an LSU game and the city of NOLA.

Looks like NOLA, Houston, and Texas are the likely targets.

at200809_5day.gif

Down to a Cat 2 now while over Cuba but will strengthen later. Tracking closer to Baytown, TX.

yea because Louisiana State University should just relocate to mid america where storms don't happen for 2 months out of the year

No Decision To Come Monday On Lsu-north Texas Game Site

BATON ROUGE – LSU officials will continue to monitor the progress of Hurricane Ike before determining whether the LSU vs. North Texas game needs to be moved to an alternative site. That decision will not be made on Monday.

LSU is scheduled to play North Texas Saturday night in Tiger Stadium.

Last week, as recovery efforts began following the impact of Hurricane Gustav and as Hurricane Ike’s path began to take shape, LSU officials contacted both the Louisiana Superdome and Texas Stadium to make contingency plans in the event the LSU-North Texas game could not be played in Tiger Stadium.

“We are going to watch Hurricane Ike closely and make a decision that is in the best interests of everyone concerned,” said director of athletics Joe Alleva. “We are sensitive to the hardship that a change of location could have on our fans, but it is imperative that the Tigers play this week as it would be very difficult to reschedule the game. Our intention is to play in Tiger Stadium, but we will move the game to another site if necessary to play the game.”

LSU has determined that damage inflicted to Tiger Stadium by Hurricane Gustav can be repaired in time for a Saturday game. Now the determining factor will be the path of Hurricane Ike and its anticipated impact on south Louisiana.

“We are not going to set an artificial deadline for making this decision,” Alleva said. “We have put things in motion to be able to move to an alternative site, and we cannot wait until the last minute to change locations, but we are going to watch this storm closely and evaluate all of the facts with great deliberation in order to make the right decision.”

Don Long's thoughts on the situation

LSU officials have already surveyed the damage to Tiger Stadium and I believe a decision has already been made. My guess is that the game will be played at Texas Stadium in Irvin, Texas. Texas Stadium is a beautiful venue and would not be a bad place to play the game if Tiger Stadium is not available. I have received several emails the last few days from readers who would like to see LSU play in the Louisiana Super Dome in New Orleans or at Independence Stadium in Shreveport. It would be almost impossible to play the game at one of those locations because LSU has sold more tickets than the Super Dome or Independence can seat. LSU has a tremendous fan base in the Dallas area and it would help recruiting if the game is played at Texas Stadium.

LSU officials have already surveyed the damage to Tiger Stadium and I believe a decision has already been made. My guess is that the game will be played at Texas Stadium in Irvin, Texas. Texas Stadium is a beautiful venue and would not be a bad place to play the game if Tiger Stadium is not available. I have received several emails the last few days from readers who would like to see LSU play in the Louisiana Super Dome in New Orleans or at Independence Stadium in Shreveport. It would be almost impossible to play the game at one of those locations because LSU has sold more tickets than the Super Dome or Independence can seat. LSU has a tremendous fan base in the Dallas area and it would help recruiting if the game is played at Texas Stadium.

:36_11_6:

chopz, is it not? I was just quoting a local pundit. I haven't been to Dallas.

It's ok, but nothing great. It comes in second for Dallas venues behind Jerry's World but in front of the Cotton Bowl--which ain't saying much.

Fuck.

I have considered moving but this is my home.I couldn't move to mid america.In fact never been to mid america but would like to one day to see what they got.

P.S. My shit don't stink so I don't mind standing in it...lol

Irvin??
Irvin??
Geebus...

THe darn thing had better stay away from this area. I leave for Vegas on Monday morn and my last two trips have included 7hrs in the airport before takeoff. And being completely canceled the next time, and missing the NCAA champ. game in April.
American cancels flights at the first drop of rain.
Also, LOL , about beautiful venue.

Press

i'm here in houston and i hope it hits some where like port arthur or or lake charles, damn shit is already fuked up towards the NO, so keep it there.

Houston to get the dirty side of the storm with a good chance of it being a Cat 4 at landfall.
an_nailbiter.gif

Bump. Looking like Corpus and Port A now for landing sites.

My wife's from Aransas Pass. Last I heard, her family says it's going to hit about 60 miles up the coast, near Port Lavaca.

Yall be careful.The good news is it won't reach a Cat4. The bad news for me is the longer it sits in the gulf the more likely it will miss Texas and turn.They have no clue on this storm. We all just have to watch and yall are in my prayers.

Like a pussy I left Houston and came to Austin just in case.

Then again speaking of pussy I am back in Austin my old stomping ground.

Here is NOAA,

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/201346.shtml?3day?large#contents

Headed to Galveston with flooding there, wind damage projected for Houston (I was there for Alicia and it ripped out windows and glass was falling from the buildings all over town), the NE quadrant is usually where the strongest winds and storm surge are (besides of course the eye) so off towards Port Arthur/Orange and the LA border at risk. In Alicia (1983), the eye went right over my apt by the medical center, just like they say blue sky and calm for about 20 minutes. The trees that snapped the first half were one way then the second half storm snapped a few 180 degrees the other way, wild. Scary when the huge pieces of billboards are flying throught the air like frisbees !

This storm is going to be devastating to Galveston.

Got to love the guy in the fuckin bear suit!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4085llz2SYI

The mayor of Galveston fucked up on this one.
She will be the new Blanco to the media.
I cant help but expect to see hundreds of deaths due to the apparent complacency some Texans seem to be showing.
All I know is Gustav wasnt suppose to be very bad and that dude was a beast. IKE is huge even bigger than Katrina and I am thinking Galveston will be hammered like we have never seen. Our prayers are with all of you that will feel the wrath of this storm. May your families and properties hold up to this monster. Good luck fellas!

I wouldnt be in a hurry to get back to Houston. The misery of no power gets old within 3 days. The worst news is the Katrina refugees still in Houston have looting experience that is second to none.

The mayor of Galveston fucked up on this one.
She will be the new Blanco to the media.
I cant help but expect to see hundreds of deaths due to the apparent complacency some Texans seem to be showing.
All I know is Gustav wasnt suppose to be very bad and that dude was a beast. IKE is huge even bigger than Katrina and I am thinking Galveston will be hammered like we have never seen. Our prayers are with all of you that will feel the wrath of this storm. May your families and properties hold up to this monster. Good luck fellas!

I wouldnt be in a hurry to get back to Houston. The misery of no power gets old within 3 days. The worst news is the Katrina refugees still in Houston have looting experience that is second to none.

Yeah I agree. I'm staying in Austin as long as possible. they said this could be the largest and longest power outage in the history of Texas.

You know a hurricane is big when Chicago is going to be hit by a tropical depression.

I'm confused, I spoke to the people I know in Galveston and they were evacuated early in the day yesterday, I'm confused how the Mayor could have f**ked that up.

That's more than enough time to get out of there.

Word is it's supposed to be bad there tonight and tomorrow AM.

yea i'm out in sugar land, about a little over an hour northwest of galveston, and the rain is going sideways here and windy as shit!! power keeps going out for a minute and comes back on, damn directv takes a minute to reboot

Not much wind in Dallas at the moment if you're interested in the AFA-UH game. UH has got to be distracted.

Not much wind in Dallas at the moment if you're interested in the AFA-UH game. UH has got to be distracted.

Bitch is on it's way tho.
Step daughter rode it out in Mosquitoville. She called and said she's fine...no power of course.
You guys or east of you will probably get it more than us Foat Wuth folks.

GL

Press

Back