HS Goalie puts puck in own net and flips off bench

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
[video=youtube_share;HsIoh0ehKQY]http://youtu.be/HsIoh0ehKQY[/video]

And here we have the reason Backhand Shelf has a “Wait, what?” category.
The backstory is as such: A high school goaltender – a senior high school goaltender, more specifically - was given the start on Senior Night, an event held by high schools and colleges every season as a tribute to the team’s seniors. So yeah, it’s an aptly-named event.
I’ll let Western College Hockey Blog take it from there:
Farmington High School(Minn.) held a 2-1 lead over Chaska HS, with just over three minutes remaining in the third period of their game on Thursday night when the truly bizarre happened.
Farmington senior goalie Austin Krause retrieved a puck behind his net, skated to the crease and put the puck in his net. Krause then proceeded to remove his gloves, and while skating off the ice, turned to his bench, flipped them off and gave them a salute before exiting the ice.
The story, as I understand it so far, is that Krause was pissed about having his playing time bitten by the team’s sophomore goaltender over the course of the season, and that this was a pre-meditated end to his time with the team. His Farmington High School team would end up giving up a powerplay goal before the end of regulation to lose the game.
…So, yeah. Tough go for the boys.
As I said, I don’t know the ins-and-outs of the story yet, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming that kid might be a bit of a dick, hanging his teammates out to dry like that and all. (Or, maybe it’s something more serious, and the kid really needs to talk to someone. I hope it’s the former.)
Updates will post if we get any – if you know more about this story, feel free to fill the rest of us in below in the comment section. Weirrrrd.

I think if I was the other team, I would have had to even put one in our own net. How can you be happy winning like that?

This is the kind of entitled shit that is wrong with the kids today. It's not enough for him that the younger kid might be better and he needs to work harder. This fucking punk pulls something like this?

Time for his coach to call in a code red to a couple of the enforcers on the team.

We would have fought if I was on his team. Can you imagine what that goalie's family thinks of him?

apparently he and the other goalie and their families have a huge beef. would love to hear more specifics about that.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UdI_aDjfrgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Date Posted: February 14th, 2013
Written by Colin Means
Category: Miscellaneous
Austin Krause dampened any future he may have had in professional hockey by intentionally scoring on himself during a game, and as a result has been suspended from school for two weeks.
Yes, they take hockey seriously in Minnesota. Here are some tweets from Krause regarding the incident, which resulted in his team losing 3-2.
<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-2" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="162" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-3" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="162" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-4" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="186" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-5" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="186" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<!-- #getsocialmain -->Previous topic: Reeva Steenkamp’s Tweet Supports Oscar Pistorius’ Story

<!--close div class entry-->Leave a Reply

“They played this sophomore goalie for the starter, he was terrible, I would try and talk to the coaches about this and tell them I want playing time but they never really listen to me or gave me a chance to show them that I’m a better goalie but still wouldn’t trust me so I had it it with I asked a few of my players if they care if I did it and they didn’t care they thought it would be funny so at the third period they dumped it in I stopped it put in my net started to skate off then flicked the coaches not the team the coaches then I saluted them then got off.”
“My hockey season is over. I did it for myself. (Like my status) if you think the coaches should quit:)
For what it’s worth, The Independent also pointed out that the sophomore goalie Krause is referring to, Gage Overby, has better statistics than Krause. Krause played 492 minutes in goal and had a record of 5-4-1 and a 2.80 goals against average. He stopped 87.7 percent of his opponents’ shots. Overby played 548 minutes and had a similar record of 5-5, but his goals against average of 2.42 and save percentage of 90.1 were better than Krause’s.
Since Krause is a senior, he likely feels that he should have earned the majority of the playing time even if the two goalies are similar in their skill sets. As City Pages pointed out, Krause also shared a few tweets regarding the matter.
<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-1" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="186" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-2" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="186" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; border-radius: 10px; display: block; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" id="twitter-widget-3" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="162" frameBorder="0" width="500" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Whether you agree with him or not, Krause made his point. Assuming he’s telling the truth about some of his teammates thinking the own goal would be funny, it’s probably safe to say Farmington’s coaching staff doesn’t have unanimous respect from the hockey team. That is not uncommon in high school sports. Having a goalie score on his own net to tie a game and flip the coaches off, however, is quite rare.

Back