How do you loosen up a new baseball glove ?

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Have a new baseball glove that is very tight. Wondering if anyone knows a way to loosen this thing up other than repeated use.

thanks in advance.

Cover the entire thing in shaving cream and tie a rubberband around it and put it in the microwave for like five minutes.

im not going to even ask what that contraption is

sounds like something for steed to "practice" on

buy a blowup doll or something

oil, put a rubber band/rope/what ever around it and drive over that fucker a couple times with your car (seriously)

And if you're in Vegas put that fucker out in the heat with the oil on it, a ball in the web and a rubber band around it.

Be careful putting too much oil on it.

That bitch will soak it up so bad, then you'll have an absolute mess. Everytime you glove touches your knees, just a big ass stain that doesn't come out.

I recommend the shaving cream idea. No microwave, just put it outside in the heat.

The most important thing is to create a good pocket. I like to use a softball and tie it with a shoe string, to get maximum tightness, and to keep shit exactly where I want.

Also, don't break it in like a :really_happy: would, and have all the fingers touch the palm when closing the glove. Always have the glove close like your touching your thumb to your pinky. I can't tell you how many I've seen ruined because of this.

If you don't need to use it for at least two days then completely soak it in a tub of water. It will remove the tanning chemicals that make it stiff....you'll see this process working as the water turns to a rusty color. After it dries and you oil it you'll find it will break in much faster. There are two negatives about this though. In the short term you have to hang it to dry and that will take a while....about 48hours if memory serves me correctly. The second is long term. Make sure you oil it well and often after it dries though because without the tanning chemicals it can dry the leather up prematurely and cause your glove not to last as long.

What the fuck are you buying a new glove for?

I actually bought the glove last year for my baseball road trip but never used the damn thing. IT is basically brand new. I just was doing some summer cleaning and came upon it and its so stiff .. just wondered how to loosen it up.

My advice is the same as everyone is recommending... oil, put a baseball in the web and wrap a rubberband around it, and manually stretch it out as well

only problem is with oil, the leather tends to soak it up alot and it can soften your glove, depending on your type of leather etc...and then the glove can be too 'soft'

Back