How big is this Notre Dame and Stanford game?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, it is real big.

There is a distinct possibility that Notre Dame goes undefeated if they can get past the Cardinal on Saturday at home.

Now, the Irish generally play a pretty solid schedule but this year things are falling into place for them...

Following this week...

@ Va Tech
Pitt
Bye
Navy
@ Northwestern
Florida State
Syracuse
@ Southern Cal

Before the season started, the pundits had many of these teams rated much higher. All three road games are against opponents that are performing well under expectations. Obviously VT had the slip-up last week and that is a tough schedule spot for the Irish but they should win that game. Florida State is a steaming pile of trash. USC has the talent but is still young and growing (for the umpteenth year it seems). This is not a hard schedule to finish out with. Now, any team can beat any other on any given day(cliche!), but this is very doable.

So, we could be facing the real proposition of a 12-0 Notre Dame team taking one of the playoff births (not saying without merit-- to be seen). This throws in many wrinkles for the other conferences...

Who would get bumped ultimately?

Do you take 12-0 Notre Dame over a 12-0 Oklahoma?

Clemson finally has their QB and will go undefeated most likely against a poor schedule. Do they get bumped? Or do they 'retain' (I use that lightly, everyone knows I hate preseason polls) their preseason status?

This is a real possibility that could really muck things up for the playoff system this season.

It could be very interesting for those bettors who took some shots on teams making the F4 hoping for hedging opportunities (cough).

Thoughts?

Oh, and I hate the spot for them....but Go Stanford so this is deemed pointless.

Well, they will have the best win between them and any potential big12 winner. And they will have the benefit of front running. Beating NW, FSU, Cuse and USC the last four is gonna make it tough for a team to jump them.

Their schedule does line up good for them but it is still a pretty tough schedule overall.

Imagine a one loss ND and a one loss Michigan. How do you put bigten champ Michigan in over ND?

A 12-0 Notre Dame team with wins over Michigan and Stanford and a reputable schedule otherwise goes in IMO.

If there is any justice either Bama or Georgia should be eliminated by a loss in the SEC title game plus the fact one played The Citadel and the other Austin Peay while Notre Dame played all FBS teams.

If Clemson wins out they deserve to be in, but they did play an FCS team, so I give N Dame the edge if it comes down to those two.

The problem is that Notre Dame looks like a team from the old 3-yards and a cloud of dust days. Most of the time the QB looks like a TE who is throwing the ball on a trick play.

12-0 Oklahoma v. 12-0 N Dame? Flip a coin. OU has a matador defense, N Dame has an Eisenhower-era offense.

I don't see a pac-12 team getting in unless Stanford beats N Dame and then N Dame is out.

Last edited:
I get that the schedule is there and I’ll be a big tree fan even though I think ND gets it done. However this schedule couldn’t have turned out better for ND. It’s formidable and you can’t knock it and the only true 2 tests (one of which is a fraud (Stanford) at home. Not a chance I’d put them in over an undefeated conference champ who won a 13th game over a likely top 15 foe on a neutral.

It gets dicey for sure all around if a Clemson/bama/ok drop a game they shouldn’t.

Let’s play what would the spread of Bama/ND be on a neutral? Which I know matters none and I’m not saying it because of selection criteria but it’s a real possibility we could see another Bama/ND waste of time.

And the fact they chose to play Ball st instead of an FCS school wouldn’t factor into my selection mindset other than the power ratings of the teams themselves and the overall body of work. But you likely won’t get credit for beating Testicle Tech by 8 points at home.

Ohio St Oklahoma Bama/UGA Clemson all get in ahead of them if all undefeated. ND should root like crazy for Michigan to win the rest of the year. Got a break with Jackson out for VT.

Ohio St Oklahoma Bama/UGA Clemson all get in ahead of them if all undefeated. ND should root like crazy for Michigan to win the rest of the year. Got a break with Jackson out for VT.

I could easily see these fucks going for the money grab and not taking Oklahoma or Clemson if all 3 of these teams go undefeated (assuming OSU and Bama/UGA do too)

These fucks care about television money...ND brings that especially on that stage. Don't think they hold a candle to the other 2 personally, but need we go any further than OSU / TCU a few years ago to see how some of these decisions are made?

The beauty of CFB though is that teams seem to always find ways to eliminate themself with upsets and that's why November is so awesome in this sport. Hopefully it doesn't come down to an undefeated team being left out...can't imagine what that would be like...(UCF just asked me to hold their beer)

Agree, always follow the $. Maybe OU, but just dont see how they could do that over undefeated Clemson who is almost on par with Bama recently with success. It would completely turn people off. Getting way ahead right now, but can always throw ND in NY6 Bowl and make a ton of $ off that.

I think they will drop one. Keep in mind qb has had one start vs wake. Playing a decent d is a whole horse of a different color. Plus as time goes on there will be tape on him.

I think they will drop one. Keep in mind qb has had one start vs wake. Playing a decent d is a whole horse of a different color. Plus as time goes on there will be tape on him.

There already is tape on him from last season. Wake‘s d-coordinator (now fired lol) just only prepared for Wimbush

Back