Houston vs Cleveland Game 1 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Star Pitchers Will Take Over Astros-Indians ALDS Opener

Houston and Cleveland open up the ALDS in Houston on Friday at 2:05 ET on TBS. The total set by oddsmakers is low, but not low enough for two of baseball’s most elite pitchers.

Cleveland Indians (91-71, 77-75-10 O/U) at Houston Astros (103-59, 70-84-8 O/U)

MLB Pick: Under 6.5

The recent history of Cleveland’s Corey Kluber (20-7, 2.89 ERA) shows a mix of good and bad. His bad outings came when he had to pitch off less than five days’ rest. Conversely, Kluber has allowed zero runs in three of his last four starts off five days’ rest. The one exception came when he allowed three runs at Boston. But his 1.74 FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) in that outing indicated that he actually pitched well. Kluber’s postseason ERA is 3.54 because he had an awful postseason last year. In 2016, he allowed one run or fewer in four of his six starts. Whether he struggled in 2017, as opposed to in 2016, because he had to face the Yankees every time is a question that we can’t answer. The fact is that Kluber has a proven record of success in the postseason unless he’s facing the Yankees.

Kluber relies on a sinker-slider-cutter combo. The three pitches comprise 84 percent of his arsenal. One of Kluber’s weapons is deception. He allows the vertical and horizontal release points of his pitches to closely intersect so that the batter struggles to discern which pitch is leaving his hand. This deception inhibits the batter to react well to a given pitch, especially given both the uniqueness and strong movement of Kluber’s pitches. HIs sinker has strong arm-side movement, his slider strong glove-side movement, and his cutter a funky mix of vertical and horizontal movement. Another tool is sequencing. He doesn’t rely on one pitch too often in a given scenario. For example, in an even count, there are three different pitches that he relies on with at least 20 percent frequency, so that he remains unpredictable. His pitches are also difficult due to their location. His favorite spot is the lowest-right spot of the strike zone, where his pitches land with 12 percent frequency,

Houston batters have yet to figure out Kluber. 10 of them have had at least 10 at-bats against Kluber, but only three of them are batting above .250. Jose Altuve, for instance, is 5-for-24 against him.

Cleveland’s bullpen has improved, ranking ninth in September in ERA. Oliver Perez has a 2.25 September ERA, Adam Cimber has a 2.53 September ERA, and Jon Edwards has thrown 5.1 consecutive shutout innings.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Houston, we have arrived. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RallyTogether?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#RallyTogether</a> <a href="https://t.co/0WxFW7HmwQ">pic.twitter.com/0WxFW7HmwQ</a></p>&mdash; Cleveland Indians (@Indians) <a href=" ">4. Oktober 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Houston’s Justin Verlander (16-9, 2.52 ERA) has allowed one run or fewer in four of his past five outings. In the other outing, he allowed two runs. Last season involved Verlander’s first playoff experience since 2014. His 2017 postseason ERA was 2.21. Verlander is notorious for being even stronger during the day, where his career ERA is 3.15 compared to 3.53 at night.

Verlander’s top pitch is his fastball. He leans on it with 61 percent frequency and most in all scenarios. Its quality is so high that he’s predictable with it and locates it poorly, but it still yields a .214 opposing BA. His fastball is hard, which makes it hard for the batter to react well, and has significant spin, which prevents the batter from tracking its movement. It also boasts a strong vertical drop and solid arm-side movement, which makes it elusive. Verlander’s slider is even nastier. Its opposing BA is .184. Its movement is tight and fast and he locates it with 40 percent frequency in the two lowest-right spots in the zone.

Cleveland batters are slugging only .357 against him. In 387 at-bats, they’ve mustered six homers (.01%). Edwin Encarnacion is 5-for-34 against him.

The Astros’ bullpen has consistently been one of the best. It ranks fourth in September in ERA. Tony Sipp has thrown seven shutout innings in September. Collin McHugh has thrown 5.1 consecutive shutout innings.

Houston won the regular season series 4-3 against Cleveland. But it’ll be tough to win tonight with a cold lineup that’s produced only 12 runs in its past five games. Also because of its good pitching, the „under“ has hit in Houston's last seven games.

i can't decide whether i like CLE g1 or for the series (i realize they're correlated)

I think this line is significantly short but I'm large on the Astros train in every way imaginable. I laid the -1.5 and will sprinkle some -2.5 on there tomorrow as well. Should be a fun game 1 and a nice short 3 game Astros sweep.

kluber at 1.3 is a no-brainer

That what I’m thinking. Assuming we gonna get that +130ish range both games in Houston think im playing tribe to get 1 win on the road, if kluber fails I’ll chase game 2 as I think this a 5 game series. Hopefully it 1-1 after 2 and Houston he small dogs in Cleveland then I will flip and play Houston gm 3 and 4 or until i get a win. This a favorite hockey playoff strategy of mine, think this series sets up well to play it similar.

I think this line is significantly short but I'm large on the Astros train in every way imaginable. I laid the -1.5 and will sprinkle some -2.5 on there tomorrow as well. Should be a fun game 1 and a nice short 3 game Astros sweep.

Man, laying the 1.5 runs on the home team w such a low total just seems like a really bad idea to me. Not even commenting on this series in particular, just something I use all season. With the line being relatively low feels awful greedy to me to try the rl instead of eating the small juice.

i can't decide whether i like CLE g1 or for the series (i realize they're correlated)

Love the idea of chasing them for 1 win in Houston. As I said already I’ll prob flip to Houston when they get to Cleveland assuming they the dogs. Forget yanks/sox, for my money this the best series of the divisional round.

Man, laying the 1.5 runs on the home team w such a low total just seems like a really bad idea to me. Not even commenting on this series in particular, just something I use all season. With the line being relatively low feels awful greedy to me to try the rl instead of eating the small juice.
I hear ya and understand. But with this lineup's tendency to wear down pitching and pile on. I think there is all sorts of value on alt-lines with such a short ML. I basically have it laid out 50/50 as a -1 type bet

Kluber's chances of finishing the game and allowing 2 or less runs is really high so i'm really confused why you want to do this

even more confused when you write about the lineup's tendency to wear down pitching and pile on, are you talking 2017 HOU because 2018 didn't do much of this and a lot of that is because Correa can't hit likely cuz of his back

Kluber's chances of finishing the game and allowing 2 or less runs is really high so i'm really confused why you want to do this

even more confused when you write about the lineup's tendency to wear down pitching and pile on, are you talking 2017 HOU because 2018 didn't do much of this and a lot of that is because Correa can't hit likely cuz of his back

When I look at both lineups currently I honesty don’t even think Stros have much If any advantage. Kinda feel like the fact tribe could sleepwalk all season in that division ppl selling them short, I been saying since all star break Al had a big 4 not 3, imo tribe every bit as capable of winning AL as the other 3.

I disagree that it’s highly likely that Kluber gets out of here with giving up 2 or less which is a large part of the bet to be honest. Not sure his current form would project that as he gave up more than that 3 of his last for starts against far inferior lineups.

I do think this current in form lineup and roster of the astros does and will do the piling on and the numbers (while still best in baseball) are skewed with big pieces missing multiple months. I’m also optimistic about Correa with how I saw him swing the bat the last series of the year and admit I’m going on gut with him that now that he saw a couple good results to the opposite field will be back to himself. Mainly I think there is value due to a lot of sleep walking, bad luck, and most importantly big mvp like pieces missing during the year that are ready to go now.

Transitive property is often problematic. I mean, maybe he wasn't as concentrated against bad teams and he wanted to save up his effort with the playoffs in mind. I mean, was his location bad, were his mechanics in trouble, was there anything wrong with him? After all, Houston hitters you could also say have been struggling against inferior pitchers. So why penalize Kluber but not Houston hitters who haven't been producing much at all lately (as I say in my article :) )

Not sure I used a transitive property other than current form. Mainly was eliminating transitive being used the other direction just saying he gave up a large amount of hits recently even in starts with a goose egg and runs against lesser lineups. Not sure with that how you'd be confident he'd pitch a gem against a better lineup tomorrow is all. The bad teams is also one of my edges I think the Astros have here. Indians have feasted on the bottom barrel of their division and it garnered them nearly half of their run differential on the year. Astros didn't have that luxury in the west. It's my belief partly do to scheduling that this Indians team is a notch below where the market has them and the Astros team is a notch higher.

A lot of guys are known for playing down to competition. Idk if Kluber was doing that but I mean without knowing a reason for his drop in performance i'm not sure you can make a big thing out of it. In fact, I talk about this in my article. He was doing poorly with 4 days' rest, doing very well with 5 days' rest. That's my logical reasoning.

So can we go his last 3 post season starts then if the regular season doesn't count now? I'm honestly not making a big thing out of it other than my take is I think we have a better chance of the Astros getting 3 on him than 2 or less is all given the complete picture.

i try to handicap pitchers at their best and then adjust for form, but laying 1.5 or 2.5 when Kluber is unlikely to give up more than 3 means you are expecting a potent CLE lineup not to score at all. Verlander is great, but has struggled with CLE and that's a deep lineup that can really hit anybody.

I agree the competition hasn't been great, but that also could mean we've adjusted for that too far and CLE may be stronger than we think. Can they turn it on? Unsure, but i like Kluber to keep them in it and at +130 that's all i can ask for

Definitely don't disagree....I have a 2 run differential or greater as most likely so just see some value in a plus $ -1.5 and also in the inflated -2.5 although it's obviously less likely. Should be a hell of a game regardless. Good luck to everyone playing it either way

i try to handicap pitchers at their best and then adjust for form, but laying 1.5 or 2.5 when Kluber is unlikely to give up more than 3 means you are expecting a potent CLE lineup not to score at all. Verlander is great, but has struggled with CLE and that's a deep lineup that can really hit anybody.

I agree the competition hasn't been great, but that also could mean we've adjusted for that too far and CLE may be stronger than we think. Can they turn it on? Unsure, but i like Kluber to keep them in it and at +130 that's all i can ask for

Verlander has struggled with Cleveland before cause they've seen each other so many times. Cleveland .251 BA .357 slugging against him in 387 at-bats.

I know you mentioned those clev relievers, but their pen will still come down to whether miller and Allen pitch like in years past. Still give the edge to Houston out of the pen. The Osuna addition locked down that closer role for them.

I know you mentioned those clev relievers, but their pen will still come down to whether miller and Allen pitch like in years past. Still give the edge to Houston out of the pen. The Osuna addition locked down that closer role for them.

Osuna has a great arm, but i don’t think he’s anywhere near proven in the playoffs (correct me if I’m wrong)

+525 to win the AL when they probably draw NYY is intriguing

Osuna has a great arm, but i don’t think he’s anywhere near proven in the playoffs (correct me if I’m wrong)

+525 to win the AL when they probably draw NYY is intriguing

He pitched for the jays in 2 postseasons, in 17.1 innings he has a 1-1 record with a 1.04 era to go along with 16 k’s and a WHIP of 0.46.

One of things I noted was on the road and against better pitching, Cleveland's bats don't seem to hit as well I feel. or at least everytime I bet on them while on the road, they seemed to lose. They were of the 1-0, 2-1, variety though. So I'm more apt to side with Houston at least for the first game with Verlander going. Also, Kluber can be so Jekyll and Hyde when pitching. Either he's real hittable or untouchable - go figure.

In the same way, Houston hasn't been great on the road hitting IMO. Yea they can do it vs a bad team, but against better pitching not so much.

The Under seems to be the better bet though.

Verlander is real good on 5 but less good at home, day, 2nd half, also even tho tribe have not seen him this year, Verlander has 4.7 era over 300 innings vs tribe

If any team knows Verlander it's the Tribe/Tito

Verlander is real good on 5 but less good at home, day, 2nd half, also even tho tribe have not seen him this year, Verlander has 4.7 era over 300 innings vs tribe

If any team knows Verlander it's the Tribe/Tito

But those were often diff players thus irrelevant. Look at how active batters do v him on dailybaseballdata

I'm on the over 6.5. Two great starters, but Tribe bullpen is less than good, and Astros pen is no sure thing either. You throw in two very good lineups in a tiny park and I'll take my chances it gets to 7.

I am an under bettor too more often than not on baseball totals, but it's asking a lot to stay under 7 with these two lineups in that launching pad with two less than good bullpens. Not saying it can't go under 7, because it can, but I'll play the percentages.

I agree with the Cleveland side here if you are betting a side. I think 2nd game Houston is definitely the play with Cole on the mound. Carrasco is good as well, but got a feeling Cole pitches very well.

Cleveland current players have seen close to 350 ABs of Verlander over the years and just batting 245 with 6 dingers. I played Houston last night but I see the line jumped 20cents today (wow).

That all being said and in that ballpark the only thing I could play right now is the over 6.5

Should be a good game to watch

Unders in playoffs are pretty much a no brainer right now, ill be on Unders all Four games today

Back