Houston/LAL series discussion

SF_capper

CTG addict
figured I'd get this one up for people to post thoughts in as the series continues. Everyone should know my thoughts on this series and maybe I'm watching the games from a biased eye, but the more I watch the series the more it looks like LA is in trouble. The chippy play from the last game definitely helps the underdog. If Houston can turn this into a hardhitting low scoring series, it only helps them. Kobe went insane in game 2 which will happen probably at least 2 more times again this series- its just what he does.

as far as game 3 goes, I'm hoping they give me points with Houston and +money. In the ingame there were a couple thoughts from Houston -1 all the way up to LA -4. I think they put up LA -1, hope they make LA a bigger fave, and would hate to see something like Houston -1.5. Houston has shown that this will be a series and already have HCA.

I know there are many Laker fans here, and I might get some shit from people on this one, but Artest being pissed off and unfairly ejected looks real bad for LA in game 3. I know Artest isn't the greatest player, but he's on the list of players I would not want pissed off. Yes Kobe will be personally amped for the rest of the series as well and he is intense, but watching the Artest ejection was hilarious. He runs to the ref like a confused and lost kid after getting called for the foul, the ref dont listen so it runs over to Kobe gets pulled off and ejected and has the same look of confusion probably realizing that in today's nba- you touch kobe- you get ejected. He looked like a scared kid in the game, but somethin tells me Kobe talkin shit all game and Artest feeling unjusted will bring out the animal in Artest. Kobe does not want that. No sane person wants to play a possessed Artest. thoughts?

You're right about these players that shouldn't be pissed because they will definitely take their game to the next level. Artest said that Roy is much better than Kobe because he was the only one who scored 42 on him. Kobe came back by scoring 32 and 40 against the Rockets although they lost one game. Let's see what Artest is going to do at home after getting the elbow from Game 2.

I don't think Houston will be dogs at home since the 8th seeded Jazz were a favorite in Game 3 although they became dogs again in Game 4. The only way Houston will be dogs is if the public will unload on the Lakers knowing they will at least win one in Houston.

You're right about these players that shouldn't be pissed because they will definitely take their game to the next level. Artest said that Roy is much better than Kobe because he was the only one who scored 42 on him. Kobe came back by scoring 32 and 40 against the Rockets although they lost one game. Let's see what Artest is going to do at home after getting the elbow from Game 2.

I don't think Houston will be dogs at home since the 8th seeded Jazz were a favorite in Game 3 although they became dogs again in Game 4. The only way Houston will be dogs is if the public will unload on the Lakers knowing they will at least win one in Houston.

LA was -1.5 @ Utah game 3
and you're probably right. May have to settle for -2 or more. ugh

I'm not going to be surprised if there are multiple road victories left in this one. I expect LA to get one of the two games back in Houston but not sure which one. Need to read quotes and look at some past playoff histories with LA. Series is actually setting up pretty nice for some bets down the road.

Artest is a loose cannon and a thug. IMO you want hin off his rocker. That is the old Artest who no one wanted on their team (Indy, Sac) and playe out control and with more anger than passion. Hence going into the stands in Detroit. Smart, calculated move by Kobe in my opinion...

They dont have the balls to actually do it, but by the letter of the law, Kobe should be suspended for game 3...

He swung an elbow that made contact with a player above the shoulders...clear cut suspension

(Or if youre Kobe Bryant, its a foul on Ron Artest)

They dont have the balls to actually do it, but by the letter of the law, Kobe should be suspended for game 3...

He swung an elbow that made contact with a player above the shoulders...clear cut suspension

(Or if youre Kobe Bryant, its a foul on Ron Artest)

They didn't mind suspending Howard so there's still hope. And yeah, you're dead right, it should be a clear cut suspension.

I didnt see the game, just the highlight of fisher giving the cheapshot to Scola...did anything lead up to this for either of those players?
fisher should be suspended for at least 1 game for a blatant cheap shot..

I didnt see the game, just the highlight of fisher giving the cheapshot to Scola...did anything lead up to this for either of those players?
fisher should be suspended for at least 1 game for a blatant cheap shot..

I was only sorta half watching until that happened, but yeah Scola had been getting into it with a couple guys beforehand...i think on the play before there were 3 technicals called - 1 on scola and 2 on 2 lakers...

But yeah, he should be suspended too...

Not that any of it really matters, because I think the Rockets win game 3 no matter what...it almost might be better for them if neither fisher nor bryant are suspended so they (bryant) dont have any added motivation to come out and torch them in game 4...

i'm seein an early line on game 3

Rockettes +2.5 (my local) BM has +1.5

i think i sit back and let the pub pound kobe some more

Artest is a loose cannon and a thug. IMO you want hin off his rocker. That is the old Artest who no one wanted on their team (Indy, Sac) and playe out control and with more anger than passion. Hence going into the stands in Detroit. Smart, calculated move by Kobe in my opinion...
:shake:

The unstable Artest is what the Lakers want. He doesn't play better when he's mad he plays worst. I've been to many games at Arco Arena and have watched this guy first hand. When he's mad, he'll intentionally foul the player on the next play which is stupid because not only does it count against him, it's another foul in getting the Lakers into the penalty. Kobe is winning the battle on the floor and the mind. Kobe's smart, he knows how to get Artest frustrated.

Juz got news that kobe Could Be suspended for game 3..posted it on other thread though...
I seriously doubt he gets suspended. What he did was not intentional. He did connect, I agree with that but it wasn't intentional like D Howard's was. Also Derick Fisher's blow was intentional too. Same with that dumbass Rafer Alston. When are these dumbasses gonna learn to stop hurting their team.

Kobe's elbow and Dwight's elbow were completely different...Jalen Rose summed it up perfect on the Herd...He said he woulda missed four years of the 11 he was in the league if you suspend positioning plays like Kobe's....yes it was dirty but his back was to Artest...Howard was trying to Ricky Hatton with his elbow...

Also, Howard woulda never been suspended had the refs got the call right that night...

And no, Artest should not have been ejected...and I agree you want him rattled. He's outta control when rattled.

eh no big surprise for me on the line. Surprised it says BM opened 2.5, but its at 1 right now which is what I expected. Played Houston +1 +100 for a pretty big play

I'm ok with the line and love the spot. LA suspensions would be appreciated but not necessary. However, I do think Fish gets suspended, doubt Kobe does

ESPN's Chris Sheridan has seen the reverse angle of Kobe Bryant's elbow to Ron Artest and is certain it was not above Artest's shoulders, meaning it's unlikely that Kobe will be suspended.
Sheridan's angle revealed that Kobe's elbow landed on Artest's chest, just "above the R" on his jersey, and not on his throat. The rule for suspension is throwing an elbow above the shoulders, so as long as Stu Jackson agrees with Sheridan on this one, it sounds unlikely that Kobe will be suspended.

A league source said that Derek Fisher will likely be suspended for one game for the offensive foul that laid out Luis Scola in Wednesday's Game 2.
Kobe Bryant will likely get a flagrant foul for the elbow he threw at Ron Artest, while Artest should avoid further penalty after running across the court to get into Kobe's face. Jordan Farmar will likely start in place of Fisher if the suspension becomes official.

as a basketball fan, I really think I'm going to enjoy this series

I'd enjoy it a bit more if you weren't going so big on the Rockets in game 3. I just don't see the Lakers losing this series so I have to take them in game 3 and chase them game 4 if they lose. Really think now is the time that Kobe steps up proves he's still the best basketball player on the planet. And I'm certainly no Kobe fan.

Picks, I'd have to agree with you on playing the Lakers and if they lose game 3, I'd chase game 4 also. I dont see the Lakers down 3-1 this series at all. Would be wonderful for me, but I have to be realistic. So, I cant bet against my home team, I might just lay off. Still have a day to think about it.

As I play out the series in my head I keep having visions of lots of road wins. I think it's realistic to think that we could have 3 more road victories in all honesty. Look at previous Rockets playoff series with the Jazz. They lost twice at home and then went to Utah and won game 3 if I remember correctly. Yao and Kobe can both limit the home court advantage from completely different angles. Agree with SF quite a bit on the fact that this should be a great series.

who else laughs really hard whenever they see the fisher hit highlight? I've seen it over 10 times and still roll. Lowry's on the top draining clock to hold for the last shot and you already see Fisher looking behind him, constantly double-taking as though he's been planning this one out. As Scola comes over you see Fisher kind of jump for joy and square him up. Then once he levels him you see the refs whistle and you see a confused as look on Powell's face like dude wtf then Fisher acts like he got hit in the head. Somehow he has a cut on the side of his head and Fish seems to be trying to sell that Scola hit him. LOL. If you're gonna get a cheap shot at least be smart about it, or discrete. Not in the center of the court on an iso play while the refs are watching only you esp after a semi fight 20 seconds earlier on the other side of the court.

not a incredibly huge bet on Houston game 3, and one I may hedge partially esp with the +100. I made it anticipating suspensions and praying for a Kobe one although it was unlikely. More I think I probably should've taken 1st H, so if I can get a hedge on LA at +100 or better or anyline I'll take it and move the bet to Houston 1st H. Hosuton off losses are really good ATS

yup that was just comedy what fisher did. dude should be suspended for the sheer stupidity of it

well shit looks like I'm up against highly respected people on this Houston game- well :pillow:

will mention this though. Fisher sucks, but he was the best PG LA had. I know many will pull the "Farmar will show people what he has" card bringing up that he was good earlier this yr. However its invalid imo.
1) Phil has taken Farmar out of the rotation for a reason. Phil is no idiot and if there's talent he'll use it, but he doesn't trust Farmar, so I wouldn't either as a Laker backer here- I'm assuming PJ knows Farmar better than us degens. I'd argue that the main reason Farmar got his minutes earlier this season was solely because PJ had no other choice and couldn't give Fish even more minutes at his age.
2) This (I believe) will be Farmar's first game starting at PG in the playoffs. Not good esp being on the road in Houston with a lot of pressure on you
3) Fish is in the lineup mostly because he can knock down shots- as well as defend the other teams PG (poorly, but still there). Farmar is wayy worse shooting the 3 (33% vs 40% from fish)
4) Kobe took over last game and was looking for his shot and feeding off the crowd. Chances are, without the crowd and playing a defense thats great off losses esp after u slap them around, Kobe will be at least less effective in game 3. When Kobe is not knockin down fadeaway 20 fters, LA will need someone to control the game and take care of the possessions- Jordan Farmar is not the guy I'd want doing that

Back