Hot Mid-Level Exception Commodities In Free Agency

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
The mid-level exception was 5 million last season. It allows teams (even teams over the cap) to sign a player up to 6 years. The exception is usually used on aged vets, or young up and coming potential players. Here is a list I comprised. It's a deep Free Agent class this year!

PJ Brown

Andres Nocioni (though he probably will receive a larger deal)

Austin Croshere

Steve Blake

Chris Webber

Matt Barnes

Chuck Hayes

Rawle Marshall

Luke Walton

James Posey

Jason Kapono (Might get more)

Ruben Patterson

Mo Williams (Might get more)

Ersan Ilyasova (Might get more -- Would love to see Sixers get him!)

Mikki Moore (Probably will get more)

Desmond Mason (Might get more, but he SHOULDN'T)

Grant Hill (Though he likely will retire)

Joe Smith (Probably will go to a contender...Hopefully Sixers don't resign him!)

Ime Udoka (Might get more)

Corliss Williamson

Danny Fortson

Mike Wilks (Might get less, and if he does, it's a STEAL)

Alonzo Mourning

Dee Brown (Might get less)

Andray Blatche (Might get more)

Hayes is a quality starter. If Haslem can get a long term contract over the exception, Hayes can certainly get the exception. I dunno how old he is, but I assume young 20's.

Mikki Moore made himself a lot of money this postseason.

Only thing keeping him away from 10mil a year is that he's in his 30's. He could get something like 3yrs 24 million. If he wants to win though, he'd fit on a playoff team as a nice mid level player.

He said hell donate half his salary just to play for Jkidd.. Hes not leaving NJ..Jkidd practically resurrected this guy..

I don't know a lot about Mikki Moore, just what I got from the games I watched in these playoffs, but everything I saw or heard I liked both on the court and off.

Thing is, he can donate all he wants, it's a great gesture and he probably means it, but I'm not sure Kidd's going to be back with Jersey. In fact, I kind of doubt it. Mikki Moore should do the right thing for his family and go get paid. He's earned it the hard way, he's paid his dues, he should go get a big contract. At his age, it's probably the only one he'll get.

Who the hell is this?

Good list though

A foreign player. He became a good rotation guy with all of the Bucks' injuries. He's very athletic...About 6'9 230. He needs to bulk up some more, but he's only 20. He is very active. Plays good D. He can finish. He has a decent J. He needs to improve his size and D. He is going to be a NBA starter within 2 years. Next year, he can certainly be a very good rotation guy.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hill go to Detroit.

never thought of that. That is very interesting, and I can see it. Hill did some studio work this year. I believe for TNT. He wasn't very good, but he clearly wants to get into that field. Who knows when?

He said hell donate half his salary just to play for Jkidd.. Hes not leaving NJ..Jkidd practically resurrected this guy..

Thats interesting. The problem is, I can't see Kidd staying in NJ, unless they can get some really solid guys for Carter. This team can't compete with their current team, and theres no reason to sit Marcus Williams for another year.

I don't know a lot about Mikki Moore, just what I got from the games I watched in these playoffs, but everything I saw or heard I liked both on the court and off.

Thing is, he can donate all he wants, it's a great gesture and he probably means it, but I'm not sure Kidd's going to be back with Jersey. In fact, I kind of doubt it. Mikki Moore should do the right thing for his family and go get paid. He's earned it the hard way, he's paid his dues, he should go get a big contract. At his age, it's probably the only one he'll get.

I agree. I am ALWAYS against the NBA player, but in this case, I think he has to take the money. The guy is over 30 and has never seen a true NBA sized contract to date.

Really? What have you heard? Man I think Kidd should wait for Nenad next season and see how things play out..Thats a rock solid team with VC, RJ, Nenad..They just need a good PF on that team..

Really? What have you heard? Man I think Kidd should wait for Nenad next season and see how things play out..Thats a rock solid team with VC, RJ, Nenad..They just need a good PF on that team..

A few teams need a PG next year. Cleveland and Lakers come to mind. Maybe Chicago. Would a team like Atlanta want to attempt to sell some tix and give up their early draft pick (highly doubt it, but they have the cap room to make a deal).

Beleive's got it.

Be it Dallas, L.A., Cleveland, all these teams could immediately plug in Jason Kidd and make a huge push for their Conference. The Lakers might have it a little tougher simply being that the West is so crowded, but I don't consider Jersey close to contending even though they've got good talent.

Kidd doesn't have too many years left, but he can still distribute as well as almost anybody in the game. I think teams make a play for him and I think he moves on.

Beleive's got it.

Be it Dallas, L.A., Cleveland, all these teams could immediately plug in Jason Kidd and make a huge push for their Conference. The Lakers might have it a little tougher simply being that the West is so crowded, but I don't consider Jersey close to contending even though they've got good talent.

Kidd doesn't have too many years left, but he can still distribute as well as almost anybody in the game. I think teams make a play for him and I think he moves on.

I totally missed Dallas. The rumor from Dallas is they are shopping Terry. I'm not sure who else Dallas could offer. I dunno if Terry would be enough. But Marcus Williams, terry, RJ, Nenad is a solid 4 starters. If they can deal VC for a decent young PF and a pick, they could certainly still compete especially in the East even without VC and Kidd.

I believe Mo-P is a FA. he will definitely get some attention.

I also like Udoka's potential. He's a tough wing player that can knock down the 3. Another guy with potential is going to be Korolev with the LAC. Korolev will be one of those guys that Colangelo targets. Like risk with a verrrry big upside.

Good list, But here's who I think will really make it and who deserves more:

PJ Brown

Andres Nocioni (though he probably will receive a larger deal)

Steve Blake -- Less

Chris Webber

Matt Barnes

Chuck Hayes

Luke Walton -- less

James Posey -- less

Jason Kapono

Ruben Patterson-- more

Mo Williams -- 7-8/season

Mikki Moore (Probably will get more) Definitely

Desmond Mason (Might get more, but he SHOULDN'T)

Grant Hill (Though he likely will retire)

Ime Udoka -- less

Corliss Williamson -- not a chance

Danny Fortson -- vet minimum

Mike Wilks (Might get less, and if he does, it's a STEAL)

Alonzo Mourning -- prob retire

Andray Blatche (Might get more) - think jarvis hayes gets more.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I personally think Matt Barnes will earn a bit more based on this year's playoff performance. Mo Williams will certainly get more than the excpetion.

yeah matt barnes is a big guy who can rebound and hit the three. wether he resigns or goes to another contender, he will definitely get paid.

I personally think Matt Barnes will earn a bit more based on this year's playoff performance. Mo Williams will certainly get more than the exception.

If Barnes gets a big contract, it will be a mistake. This guy doesn't have enough tools. He is a nice role player, and a GREAT fit in GS. GS really needs him back. I think Mo Williams goes to Atlanta. I can't see them taking Conley at pick 3. They may look at Law IV if he is there with their other pick. But I think Williams would be a nice fit there, and ATL should focus on getting more size in the draft.

If Barnes gets a big contract, it will be a mistake. This guy doesn't have enough tools. He is a nice role player, and a GREAT fit in GS. GS really needs him back. I think Mo Williams goes to Atlanta. I can't see them taking Conley at pick 3. They may look at Law IV if he is there with their other pick. But I think Williams would be a nice fit there, and ATL should focus on getting more size in the draft.

I agree that the Hawks won't end up with Conley ... #3 is wayyyy to early, they will end up going for that Jack/Randolph trade if nothing else, then turn around and trade Randolph and the #11 for a Center possibly? And signing Mo Williams via free agency, that would be my ideal off-season. I really don't know what centers are available if any.
They may just want to go for broke to get Gasol (I can't believe we traded him in that draft) or someone.
But Jack has got to be enticing since he's from GT.. I know most Hawks fans are salivating over Critt at #11 (please no).

Anyone know anything about the availablity of Jose Calderon, everyone on the Hawks message boards (shockingly there is one) are drooling over the possibility of getting him, but I don't see Toronto letting go, I'd love him.

Anyone know anything about the availablity of Jose Calderon, everyone on the Hawks message boards (shockingly there is one) are drooling over the possibility of getting him, but I don't see Toronto letting go, I'd love him.

Raps WILL dangle him in the off season in hopes of moving into the draft. BC is committed to Ford and hopefully Ukic will be brought in this year. Calderon will be moved for a pick or a good young wing player (both things ATL have.) Calderone will be commanding top $$ soon, MLS cannot afford to keep 2 young high priced pgs. Ford isnt better, but Calderone with his salary is much more attractive on the open market.

Back