Holy hell, somebody's going to have to explain the NFL to me

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
All right, I've basically been in a cave for the last four months.

What in the name of Lou The Toe Groza is going on in the NFL.

Somehow Kerry Collins is the starter for a 9-0 football team that doesn't play semi-pro.

The Browns seem to have fallen apart, which, I think means we get to see Brady Quinn.

I watched a little of the Birds last night, sadly they looked the same as ever.

But basically, I know jack s**t. Can somebody help out a Joe with a refresher on what's been learned in the first half of the season?

The NFL is wide open. BAR and I were talking last night and we both said we would not be surprised to see a rematch in the SB because NYG is clearly the best NFC team and outside of Tenn the AFC is wide freakin' open... and we know what Belichick is capable of come playoff time.

Saints are mediocre.. again.. as I expected.. so long as Sean Payton is the coach.

I saw a little of the Pittsburgh/Indy game and even though they lost, there's something about the Steelers I like.

I don't know how Indy's line is holding up or I'd like them a bit, too.

I'm shocked that the Giants didn't slide back to the pack this year, I really thought that would happen. Guess not.

And apparently Seattle fell apart, the Bengals are back to being remarkably horrible, the Rams--yikes, the Rams.

Oh, and the Dolphins are running something called a Wildcat in which Ricky Williams runs for 50 yard touchdowns.

It's like a whole new world out there.

NFL = Kissing Sisters -
mary-kate-ashley-olsen-kissing-sisters.jpg

I saw a little of the Pittsburgh/Indy game and even though they lost, there's something about the Steelers I like.

things are going to shake out and we'll see a steelers v. giants in superbowl...

just you watch!

Thanks, Mogo.

And, apparently Penguins' season has started as well, no?

Unreal. Like they couldn't have waited for me.

Whats up buddy? Good to see you back...

Ill try and sum up the Eagles for ya...

Actually, Bill Simmons summed it up pretty well last week in his rankings of the teams:

THE SUPERIOR BAD TEAM
7. Philadelphia Eagles
The one team I definitively have figured out for gambling purposes: Take the Eagles over every bad team, home or away, no matter the spread; go against them any time they're facing a good team. Got it? Got it. Poor coaching, a crappy short-yardage game and a tendency to give up big plays will bite you in the bizzum every time.

Eerie considering what happened last night, eh?

Andys time has come...luckily for him the citys giving them alot more slack than normal (that or they dont care as much) cuz the FIGHTINS ARE WORLD FUCKIN CHAMPIONS!!!!

I'll go wigth the local angle.

Jon Kitna got put on injured reserve for basically the equivalent of a sore pinky. Detroits way of keeping him off field.

Millen finally got fired.

Detroit signed Culpepper on Tuesday and he started 5 days later. Second pass as a Lion was picked off.

0-16 if we cannot beat Minnesota at home.

What's up JP. All you need to know is who's gonna represent each conference in the Super Bowl and it's gonna be (don't laugh): Pittsburgh vs. Dallas.

We missed the "what have we learned" threads so let's kick those back up.

I'll go wigth the local angle.

Jon Kitna got put on injured reserve for basically the equivalent of a sore pinky. Detroits way of keeping him off field.

Millen finally got fired.

Detroit signed Culpepper on Tuesday and he started 5 days later. Second pass as a Lion was picked off.

0-16 if we cannot beat Minnesota at home.

:seeya:

Thanks, Mogo.

And, apparently Penguins' season has started as well, no?

Unreal. Like they couldn't have waited for me.

Crosby said he wouldn't start scoring real goals until you were ready to watch. His career 100th was a bank shot from behind the goal line, the next was a deflection off his leg or stick, and his 3rd goal of the year was a tap-in on a rebound. That's it, that's the list.

don't forget the Stanley Cup rematch tonight Joe.... Pens @ Wings starts at 7:00....

get your popcorn ready.....

:popcorn:

If it's the first time they've faced each other, and if the Pens were at home, I'd lay -1.5, but they're on the road so I'll lay off.

Crosby said he wouldn't start scoring real goals until you were ready to watch.

That was actually very considerate of him, I should send him a thank you note.

All the changes seem so sort of ridiculous to me. I suppose firing the Rams' coach was inevitable, and I see Nolan's gone. Though I can't remember if they replaced him before the season or not. I will say that I predicted Hill as the starter in SF this year and that seems to have come true, though I don't know if it was because of injury or not.

I sadly agree with Bill Simmons based on what I saw the other night. This team is just the same as ever, a good team that can be very good in spurts. Oddly enough that's enough to win the SB as the Giants showed last year. But I have trouble seeing them go anywhere this year. The Giants apparently have taken that next step and become a very good team and Dallas, while poorly coached, still probably has more talent on the whole than the Birds. That should keep them fighting for the final wild card spot at best.

I haven't even looked at their records, but if they're decent my initial lean would be to look for later season collapses from the Bills and Titans, but I say that blind and could be way off. I definitely need to watch some of this league, though, because I'm seeing highlights of KC hanging with SD in SD and it feels like a different world out there.

By the way, baseball's not my thing, but congrats to the Phills and their fans, it won't be anything like when the Birds finally win, but it's great for the city and those fans who've suffered for a long time.

I'll keep it local as well with the Chargers...

This is/was a team expected to contend for the Super Bowl this year; in some circles, they were considered the best team in the NFL. Then the season started and games were actually played on the field...nothing wrong with the offense has Rivers has more or less become an elite QB and TE Gates is back to full strength; they don't really miss b/u RB Turner on offense as Sproles has taken over that role very well. LT had a toe injury early but seems to be regaining his form. The offense is everything it was expected to be...elite.

The defense simply cannot get off the field; not having Merriman for the whole season (knee) hurts but it goes beyond that; there is a general malaise hanging over this unit and the organization made a rather unprecedented move of firing DC Cottrell during the bye week two weeks ago and promoted LB Coach Rivera to the position (former Bear DC). The complaint was that the D was too passive under Cottrell. Rivera is supposedly more of a fiery guy and promised a more aggressive D; Sunday was more of the same as they squeaked out a 1-pt win at home over the Chiefs, making Chief QB Thigpen look like All-Pro. While they do a decent job stopping the run, they get no push up front and their LB's have gone from being some of the best in the NFL to an actual weakness as they can't cover anybody short. Chiefs were in 2nd and short all day against the Chargers...

Right now, this is not a SB contending team, but they'll likely make the playoffs since this is the worst AFCw I have EVER seen. Keep an eye on their defense...if they improve under the new DC, they could make a run in a pretty wide open AFC...right now though, they're a rather mediocre outfit.

Joe,

the Eagles are healthy, but still doing their yearly underachieving.

the Browns have a serious defense problem. Also, Edwards can't catch for shit and needs a code red.

the Titans are the 05 Steelers. Excellent rungame; great Defense (particularly the D Line); could use anyone not a quadriplegic at QB. Credit Collins only with not fucking them up.

the Seahawks are complete Ass.

Saints offense is just as good regardless of who gets his hands on Brees' balls. Unfortunately, the defense sucks Brees balls. a lot.

Cards appear to finally be performing how everyone thought they would. Aside from 1 half of football, Kurt Warner is MVP of the league, easy (just imo - I won't argue this, so please all abcs types, just let it go).

Panthers are healthy, and they're playing very well with typical tough John Fox defense.

Tampa has changed QBs a couple times, but the defense remains stout.

Atlanta has had a complete turnaround, and a rookie QB (Matt Ryan - remember him from BC?) is showing up all but the top QBs in the league.

Pittsburgh had to dump some of the OL. They're not rushing as particularly well (though there have been some 100yrd rushers against shit defenses), and Ben still holds the ball way to long and eats WAY FUCKING TOO MANY sacks. They are trying to spread it out and throw too much because they know their OL can't block like they historically could. That defense is still fucking great, though, and they have been winning despite Ben's faux pas.

Palmer can't play, so Cincinnati is garbage.

Detroit is garbage, but nothing new there.

Dallas is garbage (tho they've won some games), but they really shouldn't be with their talent (acquired Roy Williams in response to Pacman Jones getting chucked by the league - figure that out).

Washington has shocked the world by playing well. Portis has been an incredible stud, the defense has kept them competitive, and Campbell has been incredibly efficient.

The Giants are better than they were late last year. Chew on that.

Baltimore's defense has been great, though some injuries in the secondary made them vulnerable for the Colts game (bad timing, eh?), but at 6-3 with another rook coach and QB, you gotta respect that shit. They have trouble with good to great defenses, but Flacco is a good passer, fairly accurate (even deep), and the rungame is looking fully healthy again. I think they make the playoffs.

AFC east is insane. Any team could win it (tho the bills have slacked off since Edwards took a concussion shot), and tonight's game will decide which of these two will compete with the Dolphins for the division.

Dolphins are another shock. Defense has been pretty good, turning the opposition over a lot, and Joey Porter has been his same loud-mouthed dick...but he's backing it all up and more in his gameplay. They're fuckin scary in a lot of ways.

Jets. If Favre maintains his managing style and lets Thomas Jones win games for them, then they'll go far. Kris Jenkins is a Haynesworth kind of massive DT, and I think those two are competing for Def POY. Anyway, the Jets defense isn't the sieve it used to be...not at all. All afc east teams are dangerous.

Colts. Manning's leg still isn't right; he's still overthrowing WRs. Marvin has drops this year. Marvin and Peyton often don't have the ESP they used to. Addai has not been dominant at all. Why? OLine. Peyton's eaten it a lot more this year. Their defense has been garbage (especially rushing), though they did a good job at Pitt last week...I think they'll give up a lot to Slaton this week. They might make the playoffs.

Jaguars are coming apart at the seams. Don't let a big win over Detroit fool you.

Broncos are all offense, and they keep losing RBs (like 5 on IR now)...the defense might as well stay home. They're that bad. Broncs better score 30 every week. All too often they don't.

San Diego. Same as Broncos...just not as good offense. LT still isn't right in the toe, and he's been less than impressive. Maybe too long in the tooth? I don't know. Rivers has done pretty well. Defense rivals that of Denver.

49ers got rid of Mike Nolan. They still have Mike Martz. Whoops. Fortunately, they still have Mike Singletary, and THAT mike can overcome Martz...maybe. the 49ers are playing hard again, and they have a game they can win upcoming...especially if Stephen Pussy Jackson still has a booboo on his leg and can't play.

Vikings. Still a GREAT run defense. Still a SHIT pass defense. GREAT rungame. ....and gus ferrotte. Do that math. I think they'll win the division.

Packers. Aaron Rodgers has played pretty damned well. Ryan Grant should be drug into the street and shot. Defense hasn't stopped much. call it average, I guess. They beat bad teams, and they lose to good teams.

I'm tired of this. Somebody else finish.

Last edited:
one more thing. The Oakland Raiders are a JOKE of a div 2 championship retirement home intramural team.

I tried to be brief, and I didn't do em all. For instance, Pats don't have Brady, but Cassell has actually gotten better, and they're winning some games.

still....31 teams in the nfl......makes for a Nutty post.

:)

oh, and you should know by this effort that I still love you even tho you got O elected. I mean, I know it was you.

but I still love you.

Im gonna give it a go before i go to bed because im bored and high. Ill keep it brief too

Patriots - No Tom Brady, but Cassell is managing the offense and they have a pretty good backup RB named Green-Ellis

Jets - Shocking me and playing well, important game in New England tonight

Dolphins - Theyve been beating bad teams

Bills - Fallen off, they were like 4-0 at first but I think they came back in all 4 games squeezing out the wins barely. They were never good and were overhyped

Steelers - Parker has been injured and everyone but people in Pittsburgh give a shit. As a matter of fact I know some people that are happy. Ben refuses to throw the ball away, he makes critical mistakes in critical moments. Defense is ridiculous

Ravens - Flacco is like Cassell, he just manages the game and gets it done, defense is real good again.

Browns - Suck from top to bottom. They signed no free agents this season to try to fix their #1 problem last year, defense. The defense sucks again. Edwards cant catch. Quinn is starting now and may resurrect them but Romeo just isnt a very good coach

Bengals - They suck but they have at least been competitive this year in some games .Expect them to be even worse next year unless Jesus comes and plays for them. TJ will be gone after this year and Chad will still be bitching

Titans - Kerrry Collins is now starting and the defense is really good. They are undefeated. There ok

Colts - Dont believe the hype, they suck. They beat the Steelers this past weekend but the Steelers gave them that game in every way. They had 14 points off turnovers which they got on the Steelers 30. Then they got a touchdown by a lucky tip drill from Ike Taylor to Reggie Wayne 60 yard TD pass. They looked terrible in this game. Im pretty sure no one in the media watched this game.

Jags - Not very good, no one realizes how big losing Stroud was. They just dont look the same

Texans - Same old story, but Steve Slaton the cock sucker looks decent, they might beat the Colts this weekend

Bronco's - They had a great offense but it has gone away the last few weeks. Defense couldnt stop anyone. Literally, anyone.

Chargers - Also a decent offense, theyve caught some unlucky breaks. LT hasnt been LT this year either. Defense is pretty ass without Merriman who is out for the year

Raiders - Dysfunctional but if they get a good coach they could be ok

Chiefs - Herm Edwards is the most overrated coach that has a job for over 5 years and not been fired. He is terrible! Why does he have a job!? I have never impressed with any of his teams. I mean when Dick left this team wasnt great. But Herm has turned KC into garbage. Thigpen is starting QB for them right now, should explain a bit.

Giants - They are pretty damn good, Eli looks like Peyton of the past. There running game owns. Defense is great. Just a good team

Redskins - Overrated, they wont make the playoffs, im sure of it. Clinton Portis will get injured (he already is as a matter of fact). They just signed Deangelo Hall

Cowboys - Romo has b een out so theyve had no QB. They should get better with him

Eagles - Underacheivers, Mcnabb has no consistency. Reid has been spending too much time in his sons meth lab in the garage.

Bears - Orton has been good but he is injured, Grossman started the last week, they are average

Vikings - Peterson has been good, but im sure he will have his injury soon (not that I wish this). He hasnt played a full season since his senior year in high school. Gus Ferrote is starting QB for them and he is pretty bad

GreenBay - Aaron Rodgers has had his on and off games. He would be labeled as average if he didnt replace Brett. But of course he gets critisized for everything including how he shits because the media sucks.So basically, hes average

Lions - the worst team in the league, hands down. You wont find a man that wont agree with me

Panthers - Quietly doin there thing. As long as Delhomme is healthy, they will be a good team

Bucs - Decent team, terrible on the road

Falcons - same thing as the Bucs, but they are more suprising. Matt Ryan has been a stud.

Saints - Good offense, but terrible defense

Cardinals - Great at home, will make the playoffs because the division is terrible. Warner has had a great year but you have to consider he has 2 of the best WR's in the league

Seahawks - Pretty bad but theyve had injuries all year so thats one way to look at it

49ers - have potential with singeltary coaching the team, but bad for now

Rams - bad

Some of it is the same as reds but I thought it would be nice to have another perspective

Sorry throwback. it's the truth as I see it. Al Davis needs to shut the fuck up and get out of the way of football operations. Lane needed a matter of years for a fair chance...not a matter of weeks.

Back