Holliday did not touch the plate!!!

I agree, but I think the ump figured he pushed the foot through to the base, that's why he waited. Then when he saw he didn't hold onto the ball he called him safe.

I'm not sure it makes much sense, but I agree, I don't think he got the base.

padres should be in the playoffs

Well, given that the Rockies got robbed of that home run, I'd say they even out.

It doesn't matter!! The catcher never tagged the runner. I ran into this play when I was coaching Little League. The catcher must tag the runner. It he doesn't, the runner is safe! I love it.

The Padres would have made for a better series versus the Phillies. SD and PHI play contrasting styles of baseball; PHI and COL play similar styles, except PHI is the superior team.

ya'll are crazy. no chance the Rox get swept.

stop hating.

and Holliday touched the plate.

I agree, but I think the ump figured he pushed the foot through to the base, that's why he waited. Then when he saw he didn't hold onto the ball he called him safe.

I agree, Joe, I think that's the exact train of thought for the ump.

Even if he was out how the hell can you say the Padres should be in the Playoffs. They should still be playing if you really think he was out. And I do think he was out, but the game would have been tied with a guy on 2nd and two outs.

Rockies are on a roll! They have one 14 outof the last 15. Rockies will pull this off gents.

Even if he was out how the hell can you say the Padres should be in the Playoffs. They should still be playing if you really think he was out. And I do think he was out, but the game would have been tied with a guy on 2nd and two outs.

I am not saying the Padres got screwed, I am just saying it was a botched call by the hp ump.

I know what you were saying Blue. I agree that the call was missed. I was referring to Steed saying that the Pads should be in the playoffs. Now I know why everybody tells Steed to shut up all the time. :)

I'm not sure, fellas...

He definitely didn't touch it with his hands...

But I think, at the time he bit the dust, he ACCIDENTALLY touched it with his right foot as he was sliding by. Check the replay again from behind the plate. That's the best angle to see what I'm talking about.

And no, I'm not 100 percent sure and need to see it again myself....

And it's poetic justice - that was a homerun earlier that woulda made it 7-6....

In all honesty, I don't care! I have been on the receiving end of bad calls and lost. So, I came out on top tonight!!

Again, let's all back up.

If that lazy ass fan who actually brought her glove to the game would have reached out and caught a damn ball that was hit right to her instead of waiting to tell Craig Sager how the thing hit the railing, the Rockies wouldn't even have been in that mess.

Not only did Holliday bail out himself, and that horrible pitching performance, he bailed out that fan, too.

The guy's multi-talented.

I cannot say with full confidence he did touch the plate, I do find a lot of sense in Rex's post though, but how can anyone say Padres should be in the playoffs?

First of, that wasn't a game tying run with 2 outs but a game WINNING RUN, also that was a homer in the 7th.

So come on. But it was surely dubious, and I would rather that didn't happen.

Anyways, despite nailing a winner, and a very lucky one, who would have figured that after Hairston's 2 run HR, I'm not sure what the right side was and was there even the right side!

This game was so fucking tight, so unpredictable, so thrilling, just amazing. 2 bad calls though, that home run and now this.

But I don't think the Rockies have cheated their way into the playoffs, their 21-8 run since Sept 1st should be noted and respected.

And no, I don't think they can get swept. They probably won't go trhough, but they won't get swept either.

One more thing: a team that wins 2 games AFTER their 11(!!!) game winning streak has just ended AND fights back after being down 6-8 in bottom 13th(!!!) in the 163rd game of the season, never looks like a losing team in the process....

Deserves HUGE respect in my book. What are the Rockies, 4th people's team in Colorado? I figure it's 1)Broncos, 2)Avs, 3)Nuggets and then maybe 4th)Rockies

So come on. These guys deserved to win, no cheating and no nothing. They won it fair and square. My hat is off for Clint Hurdle's men, that's for sure.

National League last 20 games

Arizona went 11-9. They played Pitt 3 times, Frisco 6, and Cardinals 3

Cubs went 13-7. They played 20 games vs under 500 teams.

Phillies went 14-6. They had 7 games vs Washington and 3 with the Cardinals.

Colorado went 16-4. They played Florida 3 games. The other 17 were teams over 500.

BC asked if people believed Phillie might sweep Colorado. No.

Colorado went 16-4. They played Florida 3 games. The other 17 were teams over 500.

In Colorado's final 7 games, they got 3 against a bum LA lineup (which little resembled the real LA team which forged their .500+ record), and they couldnt beat Arizona when it mattered to AZ - they only did so when AZ didnt care. And tonight they won the lottery that was a playoff game.

needless to say I'm not convinced by the tail end of the Rocky run. The extent of Holliday's injury will also be of interest.

BC, I don't entirely agree with "AZ didn't care so it was easier for COL" angle. From that standpoint, even Philly's run is bogus. And what about the Mets, they can't even beat the teams that DON'T CARE, when their life depended on it?

Colorado still had a great run. Ok they aren't the greatest team in NL let alone the majors, but they still had to accomplish this with their skill, sweat and blood. Teams that have less urgency in the final few weeks perhaps don't play with the same interest as they did throughout the season, but they still have to earn their paychecks and PLAY the game. The proof that it's NOT easy beating ANY team are the Mets and hundreds of similar examples in North American sports throughout the years, when a team that "needed to win" failed, night in and night out, against teams that "didn't care so much".

And when you say they won the "lottery", one might think they actually drew straws for the playoffs, instead of playing a dramatic, thrilling game which they won in a dramatic fashion, despite finding themselves in a very unfavorable position in bottom 13th inning of the 163rd game of the season.

As I said before, in my book - they deserved it.

BC, in the last game they had to play their worst pitcher vs their direct competitions best and they won. The last game Arizona did dump trying to give them the game but the second game they just took. There is some truth concerning the last 3 games at LA but LA still went 2-1 vs Frisco the next two and was 13-7 the last 20 at home. You can reduce the value of that sweep some but honestly not that much. You look for Character in the dictionary and in the newer ones you will see---Colorado.

Satyr in my fair mode I protest. Florida and Washington both HATED the Mets and gave all but 1 of those games everything they had.

I know what you were saying Blue. I agree that the call was missed. I was referring to Steed saying that the Pads should be in the playoffs. Now I know why everybody tells Steed to shut up all the time. :)

:36_11_6:

BC, in the last game they had to play their worst pitcher vs their direct competitions best and they won.

The reason I didnt back Peavy today was because he has sucked in Colorado previously, he sucked again today. They play that game at PETCO, and [odds are] Colorado isn't in the post season.

The last game Arizona did dump trying to give them the game but the second game they just took

After AZ clinched a post season berth, I believe they simply left their division chances up to fate. A 1-11 scoreline doesnt indicate to me AZ played a serious 2nd game of that series (a shitty 1st inning by a bum starter, and they just gave up).

bring em on

bring on the entire NL
mct29.jpg

Satyr in my fair mode I protest. Florida and Washington both HATED the Mets and gave all but 1 of those games everything they had.

Ok then, I stand corrected. And who could blame them, doesn't everyone hate the Mets anyway? :D :smiley_acbe: I know I do :D.
Even though, the Nats also beat the Phillies and played them hard as well.

But there are numerous other examples, you name it. You want baseball? You want other sports? There are plenty of examples that prove that playing against a team that "doesn't care" relatively speaking, doesn't warrant an easy job. After all, we would all be millionaires if it did. :D

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

i thought it all was hilarious, in a way. the umps screwed up plenty...not jsut this call at the plate. the double that was really a HR, for example.

but anyways...i do find it hilarious when the umps look SO very bad. now, if i was a friar fan i'm sure it would be a different story. but since i was pulling for the rocks, i got a kick out of it all.

but i also laughed my fucking ass off at Holliday. seeing the dope eat dirt was priceless. i had no idea what a dumbass he was. and he's lucky as hell he didn't break his hand with that stupid/pathetic head first slide.
was on the phone w/ fondy at the time...and he can attest to my laughing at (not with) Holliday.

but anyhow...yes, he never touched the plate...the umps fucked up that call, as well as others. but i am glad the Rocks move on...

The real story is how bad Trevor Hoffman is at closing games where the importance is heightened. Unbelievable.

Barrett DID tag Holliday as he was facedown behind homeplate. I can't say conclusively but I'm about 90% sure that he didn't touch homeplate.

The bottom line is that baseball needs instant replay for non balls/strikes plays.

Back