Head Coaches get paid how much money? Add your favorites

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Thought it might be fun to see some of the ridiculous coaching decisions each weekend.

The ironic part of some of the ones I will mention are that the idiotic coach got rewarded for it in some of these:

1. Bronco Mendenhall - Down a point with roughly 28 seconds to go (memory so might be off a few seconds) and first and ten at the BYU 35, Bronco ran the football. I don't mean the QB scrambled, I mean they actually called a running play. The play design was to the middle of the field as well. In other words, he wasn't very likely to end the play out of bounds. He made a 16 yard run which stopped the running clock at the first down but had he been stopped for 9.5 yards or less you are basically relegated to cmich vs wky hail mary and laterals to have a shot at winning. As it turns out he got into hail mary range and they got it and he won. He then ran around the field like a chicken with his head cut off. Nice attempt at not getting your team a shot at that hail mary, Bronco.

2. Harsin to end first half. I could probably pick five or six idiotic things from Harsin that game. Washington put their entire defense in the box to stop the run the second half and Harsin never attempted to make them pay the price. But this end to the first half was a gem. He managed to find a way to only have two plays before kicking the fg.

[h=3]2nd and 3 at WASH 21[/h]Ryan Finley pass complete to Jake Roh for 8 yds to the Wash 13 for a 1ST down

[h=3]1st and 10 at WASH 13[/h]Kelsey Young run for 6 yds to the Wash 7

[h=3]2nd and 4 at WASH 7[/h]Ryan Finley pass incomplete to Jake Roh

[h=3][/h]Timeout WASHINGTON, clock 00:06

[h=3]3rd and 3 at WASH 7[/h]

Tyler Rausa 24 Yd Field Goal

3. Babers goes for it on fourth down at his own 13 yard line in the second quarter when trailing just 21-10. You can read what I just wrote again. It wasn't a fake punt either. He ran the ball straight ahead. I am not making it up for those that missed it. Here is the play by play

[h=3]3rd and 10 at BGSU 6[/h]Matt Johnson pass complete to Travis Greene for 7 yds to the BwGrn 13

[h=3]4th and 3 at BGSU 13[/h]Travis Greene run for 18 yds to the BwGrn 31 for a 1ST down

[h=3]1st and 10 at BGSU 31[/h]Matt Johnson pass complete to Gehrig Dieter for 38 yds to the Tenn 31 for a 1ST down

[h=3]1st and 10 at TENN 31[/h]Matt Johnson pass complete to Gehrig Dieter for 31 yds for a TD, (Tyler Tate KICK)

think you have to add good ole Fedora. Sure most saw it. 3rd and goal at the 3, down 4, 3 1/2 to go - lose 5 yards to go to 4th and goal from 8. Takes TO and decides to go for it and Williams throws his last and worst INT. Instead, don't take the TO (he had all 3), kick the FG, kick deep and hope you hold and use your 3 TOs (his kids would have been very fired up obviously). Just one of his many horrible decisions. If on 3rd and goal you don't lose or gain anything, yes you must go for it. But not after losing 5 yards and you have all your TOs. And yes I had NC +3. I doubt he'll get any of my money again.

Paul Rhodes is underpaid and he's on the hot seat

I am convinced some of these schools expect too much. I loved Sanford as a closet UNLV fan. They ran him out of town when he finally had the players he needed to run his system and brought in a coach who believed in smashmouth. The smashmouth guy then has a bunch of players that don't fit his system and they run him out of town (good move in my estimation) once his recruits are old enough to play. It's stupid. Sometimes a good middling coach is perfect for some of these schools because the drastic overachievers are going to get gobbled up. I think it is tough to make long term commitments in this day and age in college sports but it is what most schools on the third and fourth level of cfb need.

Clown, why hate on the BYU play when it worked? Nebby was dropping 8 he made a risky play call but it did the job..
Lets add coach James Franklin here.. Mr. Let's run 5 yd crossing routes every pass play.. He is a bozo. I'm sorry but Penn state should never ever lose to temple.. And especially shouldn't get their ass handed to them by temple.. Ugly
PSU may struggle to get 4 wins and I hope they can him

Temple Sacked PSU 10 times. Given that the PSU DL is pretty good, have to think Franklin knew the oline was stinky again. Hackenberg lack of mobility and inability to stand in and throw instead of be scared and panic was crazy to watch. He never seems to look beyond his first option either .. so the safeties who aren't in the box, cough cough, can just follow his eyes every single time. He will throw it there if he can and if he cannot it just means he was sacked. He should be going four wide but their WR's suck too... but with that statue back there behind that oline, he isn't giving his running game a chance. If he went to more wr sets atleast the quality rb they have might have more space to make something happen.

Dudley, we will have to agree to disagree on the decision to run it. I also thought the quick out attempt was a horrible play call. Lucky to have the one second left.

What do u do here?
Down 18, 5 min left. Ball on opponent 45 with a 4th n 5.....
Punt!! That's what the southern miss coach did lol
Yes I was holding a over second half ticket but why the hell punt

What do u do here?
Down 18, 5 min left. Ball on opponent 45 with a 4th n 5.....
Punt!!
That's what the southern miss coach did lol
Yes I was holding a over second half ticket but why the hell punt

Happens a lot in both ncaa and nfl...coaches get scared of losing margins as far as job security...

Happens a lot in both ncaa and nfl...coaches get scared of losing margins as far as job security...
I guess... But im sure miss state was going to hand the ball off for the last five minutes

Just finished watching the 1st H of Nebraska. Their final sequence is very questionable. 2 TOs and they throw 3 shots to the endzone, only to settle for a 40 yard missed FG. Not egregious, but highly questionable.

You forgot the penultimate play by BYU, an incomplete pass to the sideline that would have added zero. It was still out of the kickers range into the wind, and if complete more than likely would have run off the clock. Lucky for Medenhall it was incomplete, left 0:01 on the clock

Hmmm I would be interested to see the analytics on the Babers call. TN punted three times all night and one of them was after gaining 43 yards. I've read about these stats especially in shootout games but there is probably something like a 65% chance TN gets a TD on a short field after a punt and a 90% chance if they take over at the 13. Therefore if he can get the first down 1/3 of the time on 4th and 3 it's not a bad call. It's not a common call but there is a fairly large school of thought out there that it's insane to ever punt on 4th and 3 or less.

Now if you're Pedo St or Stanford you may want to consider punting on 3rd and 5 or more to avoid risking a turnover or punting on 4th and 12

Just finished watching the 1st H of Nebraska. Their final sequence is very questionable. 2 TOs and they throw 3 shots to the endzone, only to settle for a 40 yard missed FG. Not egregious, but highly questionable.

To be fair, there was a huge wind at nebraskas back. Kicker had a very strong camp....he sure shit the bed yesterday.

Not really blaming the kicker. With :35 on the clock and 2 TO's, seems that they could have gotten closer. Instead Armstrong throws 3 into the endzone. All incomplete.

Although, the kicker did have a bad day.

Hmmm I would be interested to see the analytics on the Babers call. TN punted three times all night and one of them was after gaining 43 yards. I've read about these stats especially in shootout games but there is probably something like a 65% chance TN gets a TD on a short field after a punt and a 90% chance if they take over at the 13. Therefore if he can get the first down 1/3 of the time on 4th and 3 it's not a bad call. It's not a common call but there is a fairly large school of thought out there that it's insane to ever punt on 4th and 3 or less.

Now if you're Pedo St or Stanford you may want to consider punting on 3rd and 5 or more to avoid risking a turnover or punting on 4th and 12

It was 21-10 Second Quarter. I doubt Babers knew for sure how dominant Vols O was going to be against them yet. Maybe he did though. And I also doubt he knew how bad the Vols D would be against BG. No way he could have.

But the analytics (hehe you said anal) would be interesting to see.

Back