Has Boston crossed the Rubicon?

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
OK, the question in play is, has Boston now passed the point of caring (at least regarding winning road games).

- They hold a 6.0 game lead over Detroit (both have played 73 games), therefore need 6 losses to 6 Detroit wins merely to tie, and of course they own the tiebreaker. They have 3 games left at home (MIL, IND & NJY) and merely winning these alone is enough to prevent Detroit from doing no better than tying with them, which of course is good enough for them to have HCA throughout the Eastern playoffs.

- They have 58 wins. The only team who can better that number out West is Nawlins (50 wins, 10 games left), but again, as long as Boston takes care of their home fixtures they can't be headed off for the best record hence HCA for the Finals (if they get there).

The above therefore means Boston does not need to win any of their remaining 6 road games, and surely to christ they are aware of this (as it relates to giving some much needed rest to their big 3, especially Pierce).
Of course we know they're not about to go 0-6 in these games, so which have, if any, meaning to them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
@CHC - I see no motivation whatsoever existing here. They've beaten Chicago 3 times by 9+ points this season (BOS 3-0 ATS).

@CHA - I can see a reason they'd peform here. Charlotte has beaten them once in Boston and should've beaten them in their first meeting this season (BOS 0-3 ATS). The worst team in the East (Miami is beyond counting) who they've been basically been shamed by all season.

@MIL - I see no particular reason for Boston to get up here. Two previous encounters this season, two 9+ point wins to the Celts (BOS 2-0 ATS).

@WAS - Another team who gives Boston reson to perform - 2 losses in their last 2 encounters, with their only win over the Wiz this season coming on opening night (BOS 1-2 ATS). Revenge mixed in with knowing they can screw with Wash's playoff positioning setup, the only question is obviously Wash will come hard, would Boston want to spend the energy fighting even with reason to do so.

@ATL - no reason again to get up for this one. Won both previous games by 9+ pts (BOS 2-0 ATS), and will play this game B2B off a home game that should have wrapped everything up officially, standings wise. Looms as a blatantly obvious flat spot.

@NYK - Boston could not play any of their big 3 and still win. Swept the season series to date (BOS 2-1 ATS), I think historical pride should prove a barrier to throwing the Knicks a bone here. Plus being their 2nd to last game, I'd expect the Celts to want to carry winning feelings into the playoffs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of these 6 games, I wouldn't touch the Washington or New York mls. Otherwise, I see no reason why Boston shouldn't start to hit a cruise mode approach to these fixtures at precisely the point where a number of these teams have their last chance to extract some sort of revenge for a season of humiliation at their hands.

Starting with Chicago.

Last edited:
Think Boston and the Bobcats just get along. Good relations. Would not favor Boston in that game.

I have MIL circled myself. Front end of a B2B, first of 4/5, and they play the Wizards the next night who you mentioned they should have a desire to beat. As long as Bogut is playing (and the other Bucks) I'll definitely be playing MIL. I think it might be a game where we see the big 3 for the Celtics play less than 25 minutes each or even be "surprise" scratches for naggin injuries.

You'll see plenty of these sorta shenanigans from Detroit and Boston over the next few weeks.

Doc said yesterday that he doesnt believe in resting his players.
i dont have the exact quote but it was something like , they have played 78 games what will 2 games do. If there are blowouts (see miami) you will see the bench get more minutes, but he wont be deactivating anybody.
you might see a little extra rest for ray allen, because of his history of ankle/foot injuries.
hope this is helpful.

Yea, i heard the same thing. I'm sure they Ray Paul and Kevin will get decreased minutes though. Doc wants to give Tony Allen a lot of work over the next 2 weeks to see if he can get him going before the playoffs. He keeps showing bursts of pre-injury TA of last year, but he has this nagging calf injury and he seems to have lost a lot of confidence. They want to prime him to be the big play defender come postseason. Expect to see an increase in Cassell's minutes as well

good work BC !
i think this calls for a (fade BOSTON on the road) martingale.
just keep doubling up (heavy) against BOSTON on the road till you win.
count me in !
good luck !

Rest coming for C's

Posted by Gary Dzen, Boston.com Staff April 2, 2008 10:53 PM

The Celtics starters played deep into the fourth quarter tonight despite the team having essentially secured the league's best record, but Kevin Garnett doesn't think that's a bad thing.

"We’re preparing for something way bigger than the present," Garnett said after the game. "I just don’t believe that you get to the playoffs and you wake up in the morning and blink and all of a sudden you turn it on."

Before the game, Doc Rivers said he would start resting his starters in the coming weeks, potentially keeping them out of some games just to keep them fresh. Paul Pierce was asked if he would appreciate the time off.

"It is all up to the coaches, and how they feel," said Pierce. "I think I am at the point in my career where any rest I can get is good. If I was a younger player I probably would say no. But it is all up to the coach’s strategy, to give us the rest. It's been a long season. I think by this point in the season, we have probably earned it, but at the same time we have to stay sharp.”

After the game, Rivers outlined his plan in more detail. In the coming weeks, the Celtics essentially will have two days off before and after a game. If Rivers sits one of his players out for a game, the player could potentially get five days off.

"One of the things I looked at, especially with the Big Three, is they didn’t have an All-Star break," said Rivers. "They really didn’t. So this might be it.”

Boston Herald reports:
Paul Pierce, whose fiancee Julie Landrum is expected to have induced labor, possibly as early as today, may miss tomorrow night’s game in Charlotte as a result. It would be the first game of the season missed by Pierce, who is the only Celtic to play in all 75 games this season.
The Celtics captain is about to join a large list of Celtics who became fathers over the last year. James Posey’s girlfriend gave birth to a daughter named Sai Aleke last week, making the Celtics forward the latest in a group that also includes Rajon Rondo, Brian Scalabrine, Kendrick Perkins and Leon Powe.

Back