GT v UVA

I havent heard a lot of talk about this line. I am new to capping so I am sure there is something I am overlooking, but the line opened at GT -3 and has since moved to GT-5.5. That still looks like a very low number. I expect GT to take care of business with no trouble at all. Is there something I am missing? Thoughts?

I saw the same thing. I thought a number around -10.5 would be in order. When the line came out I was shocked and I really wanted to pull the trigger on it, but i was able to wait it out and see what is going on with it, because i do not know why they go from being 7 point favorites against BC to only 3 point favorites against lowly Virginia.

I thought maybe that GT may be a bit deflated after that BC loss. They may just roll into to Virginia expecting to win and never actually show up.

This line threw me off quite a bit as well, but I HAD to play it @ -3. When it came out alot lower than I had expected, I went and checked on some team news and Tashard Choice tweaked his hammy late against BC and sat out the rest of the game. That in itself definitely shouldn't have caused it to open at -3, as GT is the far better team IMO. It has only moved up to -3.5 @ 5dimes tho... I fully expect it to reach -5 to -6 by gametime, it just isnt making sense right now

This is going to be a dogfight IMO...both defenses are very good and neither QB or offense have showed the ability to sustain drives....

The key to the game will be GT's ability to run the ball IMO...UVA has a good front..

w/ UVA being the home team, the points would be my play gun to my head..

I think there are much better games on the board IMO ....

Last edited:
Agree with Jump ... this is going to be a low scoring, boring ass game. Both defenses are soo far ahead from their respective offenses, it's ridiculous. This also UVAs first REAL home game, since their only other was Duke. I don't expect either team to score over 20. That under 40.5 looks best, but I'd take the points as well

How the fuck did Duke keep it close against UVA?
UVA isn't going to blow people out bro.....Groh doens't run the style to do it...he protects Sewell from mistakes, tries to establish the run, and stop the run..

They will win games, but they'll be ugly...it's their style...

This game will be UGLY.

Agree with almost everything in this thread ... at first I was shocked by the low opening number but ..... GT just doesnt score on good defenses enough to be laying too many points on the road. No way in hell I can support virginia either. this looks like one of those games where one key turnover or kick return will decide the outcome of the spread. Not my preferred way of making money. Good luck to anyone who bets this game.

UVA isn't going to blow people out bro.....Groh doens't run the style to do it...he protects Sewell from mistakes, tries to establish the run, and stop the run..

They will win games, but they'll be ugly...it's their style...

This game will be UGLY.

Understood. Understood. But still....it's Duke!?!?!

Agree with almost everything in this thread ... at first I was shocked by the low opening number but ..... GT just doesnt score on good defenses enough to be laying too many points on the road. No way in hell I can support virginia either. this looks like one of those games where one key turnover or kick return will decide the outcome of the spread. Not my preferred way of making money. Good luck to anyone who bets this game.

Ahhhh, y'all are killin' my confidince in the GT play. I got 5 on it. (Wow the old Luniz rap song from 10 yrs ago is playin in my head now that I have said that) :wacka wacka: haaaa. However, I dont think -3 is considered laying "too many points" agianst UVA. Hell UVA is lucky to score 3 points total on a good defense. Im gonna have to stick with the gut feeling here, but I am now alot more... not so confident, I guess is the feeling. Damnit, I hate when that happens!

I also thought that the line would be a lot more than 3. I don't believe in traps, so I'm just going to go ahead and take GT before the line goes up.

i keep hearing about trap bets. what does that mean?

Lines where Vegas supposedly keeps numbers tantalizingly low (occasionally high) so you will take them. Vegas is supposed to know that the other side will win or has a better shot to. Thus, they make more money on the game than just the collecting the juice from equal action on both sides.

I dont believe in "trap" bets either though. Vegas does not have any inside information into who will cover the spread. The low number IMO shows someone else is backing the other side as much as you are backing the "trap" side. Vegas makes their money on the juice, they want equal action on both sides...

I think it's obvious "trap" lines are bullshit....every line set is set for the sole purpose of gettin action on BOTH sides of the line and moved accordingly so...sometimes that doesn't happen, and then, sometimes a book will get murdered..which they don't wanna risk...

There are "trap" games though....and those are all situation oriented...people just use the wrong description IMO...

"trap" games are lookaheads, hangovers, etc....games where no motivation is prevelant...big games on the horizon...etc, etc...

a LSU/Tulane game when UF is next in the rotation in a revenge spot...

Those type of things.

Careful on this one, boys. Sewell finally looked like the shadow of himself last weekend, but the Hoo pass defense was mediocre at best. I can't wait to watch this game because I have no clue what is going to happen, but if GT can mount some sort of passing attack then they have a real good shot at this one.

Back