GS blog post

tuck321

Not all those who wander are lost
No, Mark, the finger of blame points at you. - Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports
It wasn't a terrible idea to give him a chance, but it's time to cut bait.
Tweet Share Share 697 Comments Rec 13

It's time to fire Mark Jackson.
The NBA is a player's league. At the end of the day, teams with top talent win. Teams with midlevel talent end up in the middle of the standings, and teams with poor talent end up in the lottery.
Even a great tactician like Don Nelson didn't really have a lot of teams over-perform. His teams beat the teams they were supposed to beat. Phil Jackson? Does anyone think it's a coincidence that he kept taking jobs for teams that had championship-level talent, and left when their championship windows started closing?
So if we can't really judge a coach by wins and losses, how do we judge a coach?
I would argue that you judge an NBA coach in three areas:
The first is tactical. Does he understand rotations and timeouts? Does the team run offenses that respect its strengths and limitations? Does the defensive strategy make sense given the players? Does the coach make dynamic changes to exploit matchups during the game? Don Nelson was great at this. Eric Spoelstra is doing this at an elite level today.
The second is motivationally. This is important, and casual fans often underestimate it. Do the players buy into the team concept? Does the team show up and play every day? Phil Jackson was the master of this.
The third is leadership. Does the coach provide a steady hand? Does he give the players enough rope to make mistakes, while still not tying himself to a sinking ship? Do players understand their roles and commit to them? Is the team resilient - can they steady themselves when the bounces and calls go the other way? Greg Popovich is the gold standard here.
Mark Jackson is failing in all three areas.
Tactically, this team is a mess. Against bad teams, the team's superior passing makes this irrelevant, but against good defenses things get really ugly. The team reverts to isos despite not having particularly good isolation players. The bench unit hardly even looks like it's trying to run an offense at all, resulting in ugly turnovers as players who shouldn't be creating one-on-one have no choice but to try. The failure to install a second-unit offense is squarely on the coach.
Mark Jackson doesn't have the slightest clue as to when to call timeouts, and his management of rotations makes no sense at all. He either runs players into the ground, or goes full bench mob, which is entirely ineffective, when some simple changes (running Draymond more with the starters, Lee and Iguodala with the bench) would seem to be logical improvements.
Mark Jackson's calling card has supposedly been his ability to be a motivator, but the reality is that this team has not been showing up regularly. The slow starts are on the coach. How often have you ever seen a Popovich, Jackson, or Riley coached team just not show up for the first quarter? The Warriors already have multiple losses against teams they should beat simply because they couldn't be bothered to show up until the second quarter.
Leadership is also lacking. Compare how Thibideau has handled Boozer with how Jackson has handled Lee. While neither will ever be a great defensive player, Boozer, for most of his tenure with the Bulls, has bought in. He moves his feet, gets his arms up, and moves to the right spot on defense. I just watched Lee back away from a shooter with his arms spread, making it impossible for anyone else to help.
How is it that in over two season with Jackson, Lee hasn't figured out how to put his arms up when he helps on defense? That he still can't set a decent screen?
Klay's mental lapses are primarily on Klay, but one could forget that Shaq was known for similar things early in his career, and Phil Jackson did a lot of work with him. Jackson has shown no ability to help Klay out of his funks.
The turnover problem has been on the players, sure, but it's the coach's job to find adjustments, to get the players to play a little more within themselves to address that problem. Jackson seems to have no ability to get the team to play within themselves, and his only method of slowing things down is to go into repeated isolations.
And the Warriors frequently seem to play like a team that, if you challenge them, fold faster than superman on laundry day. Time after time it's come down to Curry's heroics to pull us back into games, and not even Michael Jordan won consistently when it was up to him to pull the team's ass out of the fire.
Jackson said recently that he had "I'm finding that the guys in suits and ties want it more than the guys in the uniforms." Guess what, Jackson? That's your job right there. It seems like his go-to move when frustrated is to say something to the media, but you can only go to that well so many times ... and at this point, it's already dry.
The Warriors have good talent. They have an elite point guard in Curry, a great two-way player in Iguodala, and a top defensive center in Bogut. Rounding out our starting five we have players in Lee and Thompson who can be great when used the right way, but who have weaknesses which a coach needs to find ways to work with. When you add in a versatile player like Draymond who would have a role on every team in the league, and a young player with talent like Barnes who needs to be honed but clearly has potential, you have a team that should be doing better than these guys are doing.
The defensive intensity in the fourth quarter against the Spurs, the comebacks against Houston and Charlotte showed us that this team has the talent to play very good basketball. But somehow, they don't do it consistently. That's on the coach.
Hiring Mark Jackson wasn't a terrible decision. It was a gamble, sure, but not all gambles that don't work out are bad plays. The biggest mistake is to push more chips to the center of the table in a desperate attempt to save a lost hand.
The worst thing the team could do is to use the injuries as an excuse. Yes, losing O'neal and Ezeli hurt. Yes, missing Iguodala for a couple of weeks hurt. But well-coached teams don't collapse when missing a single key player. (If you needed any evidence of that, just look at last night: The Spurs were on the second night of a back-to-back, and down three of their four best players, and they found a way to win. The Warriors lose Iguodala and go into a tailspin for two weeks, with no adjustments, to attempt to work around the problem.
The problem is Jackson. It's time for him to go.

Tweet Share Share 697 Comments Rec 13

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. They are night and day better than when Nelson left. Jackson's first season was dead before it started having to play a condensed schedule off of a rushed training camp. Last year they made the playoffs for only the 2nd time in the last 20 years and won a first round series.

Currently they have a winning record but are in 9th because the West is STACKED, if they played in the East they would probably be in 3rd place and are 6th in the league in Defensive efficiency, sitting in between Chicago and Miami in that category.

Team doesn't need a new coach it needs another defensive post presence besides Bogut.

well haven't seen too much of GS lately, to judge, but remember reading earlier this year from bleacherreport.com:

"Can Mark Jackson's Golden State Warriors Survive Loss of Mike Malone?
By Jimmy Spencer (NBA Lead Writer) on June 2, 2013
16,594 reads 16
Tweet
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext

The Golden State Warriors’ loss of lead assistant coach Mike Malone is undoubtedly going to sting.

Malone, whose hire as head coach of the Sacramento Kings was officially announced Sunday, was certainly part of the successful recipe in the Warriors reaching the Western Conference semifinals this past season.

In hiring head coach Mark Jackson in 2011, the Warriors made sure the first-time coach would have an experienced right-hand man, so they made Malone the highest-paid assistant coach in the league.

Now the former Cavaliers and Hornets assistant is gone, and the upstart Warriors have a crucial void to fill. Jackson can withstand the loss of Malone, but he’ll need to start flipping through his heavily populated Rolodex to find a replacement.

Jackson’s coaching was unfairly discredited during the postseason as a result of in-huddle camera time that showed him motivating more than strategizing.

Local Bay Area sports writer Lowell Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat expressed little respect for Jackson’s actual coaching in a recent column. Cohn essentially writes that Jackson was the face of a staff actually run by Malone:

Malone was the Warriors’ strategist. Jackson doesn’t want you to believe that. It’s a bad look when the head coach is not the strategy guy. You never in a million years could imagine the Spurs’ Gregg Popovich ceding strategy decisions to someone else.

Jackson did. You’ve watched Warriors’ games on TV. You’ve heard Jackson do the rah-rah routine during timeouts — he loves to put on the microphone so fans can hear him. Never once did he give his team a play.

With respect to Cohn, it’s hard to agree with such overly simplistic summations. TV networks wait for moments of viewer-friendly narration to relay to its audience. That thought is as tired as the cliches thrown out on camera.

Now, if Popovich tops the list of the NBA’s lead strategists, it stands to reason that the less experienced Jackson is much further down on that list. But Jackson also has played the 13th-most games in NBA history and he’s third all time in assists; it’s safe to say he learned something along the way.

In other words, Jackson knows what he is doing, too. Yes, he will need another strategic top assistant, and yes this makes him very similar to most coaches in the league.

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

It’s obvious Malone was an excellent assistant and it’s going to be tough to replace him. Clearly people in the organization thought highly of Malone, and he was going to land a head-coaching job eventually. So if Jackson wants to repeat his team’s success in 2013-14, the goal will be to seek a replacement that closely fits the skill set of Malone.

Malone is known as a defensive savant, and Golden State finished as the sixth-most efficient defensive team in the west in 2012-13 despite a roster without much defensive prowess. The Warriors’ next lead assistant should bring a similarly high dexterity for scheming defensively.

With a young team, Malone’s experience developing talent was an additional asset that also would ideally be possessed by a new hire.

The 42-year-old Malone began coaching in the college ranks in 1995 as an assistant at Providence College before continuing on in assistant roles at University of Virginia and Manhattan College. In 2003, Malone took his first NBA job as an assistant with the New York Knicks.

Malone was an assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers during LeBron James' growing years, and he served on staff with the New Orleans Hornets when Chris Paul was growing into a superstar.

With Golden State, the maturation of Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes unfolded in the playoffs. Their production can be linked to Malone’s coaching. (It also must be noted that assistant Darren Erman was incredibly hands on working with Golden State’s young talent. The Warriors could promote him or fellow assistant Pete Myers.)

But yeah, about Jackson’s Rolodex. All those years of playing beside or underneath a variety of coaching minds makes the Warriors head man an ideal recruiter. He knows more than anyone what he needs.

So does Warriors owner Joe Lacob, who has already shown a willingness to spend on quality assistants. Bigger names like Stan Van Gundy, Brian Shaw and Nate McMillan will likely all hold out for the right head-coaching fits. However, guys like Mike Dunlap (recently fired by the Charlotte Bobcats), Robert Pack (served under Vinny Del ***** with the Los Angeles Clippers) and David Joerger (served under Lionel Hollins with the Memphis Grizzlies) all bring top-tier assistant credibility.

The loss of Mike Malone will certainly sting, but Jackson and Warriors ownership have made all the right moves in management thus far. It stands to reason they won’t settle for anything less than another top-flight assistant."

Personal opinion is that GS has the talent to be a Very good team.
Personal opinion is that Mark Jackson is marginally better as a coach than Alvin Gentry.

so if we take this article seriously. Who exactly do the Warriors go out and get mid season that is an upgrade?

way to go out on a limb and say that he is not as good as Pop, Jackson, or Riley

This article could have been written 15 years ago and it would've been pretty accurately describing Popovich.

I think that Mark Jackson is a very good coach. I think he is a good motivator, I like the way he is running his team - everyone knows their positon and their place, he gives young players a chance, but still there is very clear hierarchy.
It's easy to say dumb things, it's much harder to back them by facts and saying things "don't have a clue when to call a timeout" or "The bench unit hardly even looks like it's trying to run an offense at all" is not facts, just opinion.

I seen GSW at least 4 - 5 times, almost all the times I was against them and still they impressed me...

I watch most of the second half of the Spurs GS game. I do not remember many time outs if any and I believe Mark Jackson ran that game like a moron. Anyone want to argue I am wrong? Happy to have an extended discussion on that topic
Divol, I frequently when I post list facts that support or conflict with my contentions. What I seem to see when you post is that you like most tend to say what you like without much in the way of facts. Today 4 opinions and no facts for example. Just something you might want to think about.
By the way IS anyone going to support Mark in general with things they think he does well with examples and facts in support. I am certainly willing to listen to INFORMATION. I honestly believe there may be a lot of bad coaches worse than Mark. He is Clearly better than Alvin Gentry but any coach that does not communicate regularly with his team in games is second tier at best to me.

so if we take this article seriously. Who exactly do the Warriors go out and get mid season that is an upgrade?

way to go out on a limb and say that he is not as good as Pop, Jackson, or Riley
No idea. He is not going anywhere. I argued for 2 to 3 years that Gentry should be shoved upstairs in several blogs. After a while a lot of people agreed with me but nothing happened.

Every fan and local media guy wants their coach fired. The coaching in the league is subpar, and that is being kind. Most of the good ones are coaching in college. Maybe Brad Stevens paves the way for more college coaches to come to the NBA

All those assistants, the ones who can draw up pretty plays on a white board all seem great, but a big part of NBA coaching is managing superstars. It is really what made Phil great.

I know that Mark might be lacking some areas, but the players do seem to like him. If you can get an upgrade then let him go. But I'd be weary of hiring the assistant who does a good job of crunching numbers and drawing up play ( hello Mike Brown)

In some ways the last game indicates improvement.
[TABLE="class: num"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="colspan: 6"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: datahl2b"]
[TD="align: left"]PLAYER[/TD]
[TD="width: 4%"]POS[/TD]
[TD="width: 4%"]MIN[/TD]
[TD="width: 8%"]FGM-A[/TD]
[TD="width: 8%"]3GM-A[/TD]
[TD="width: 8%"]FTM-A[/TD]
[TD="width: 8%"]+/-[/TD]
[TD="width: 6%"]OFF[/TD]
[TD="width: 6%"]DEF[/TD]
[TD="width: 6%"]TOT[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"]A[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"]PF[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"]STL[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"]TO[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"]BLK[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"]PTS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: datarow"]
[TD="align: left"] Klay Thompson [/TD]
[TD] G[/TD]
[TD] 38:00[/TD]
[TD] 6-16[/TD]
[TD] 1-4[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 11[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 5[/TD]
[TD] 6[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 13[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Stephen Curry [/TD]
[TD] G[/TD]
[TD] 35:14[/TD]
[TD] 5-14[/TD]
[TD] 2-3[/TD]
[TD] 2-4[/TD]
[TD] 8[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 7[/TD]
[TD] 4[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] David Lee [/TD]
[TD] F[/TD]
[TD] 38:28[/TD]
[TD] 11-21[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 6-6[/TD]
[TD] 9[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 8[/TD]
[TD] 10[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 28[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Andre Iguodala [/TD]
[TD] F[/TD]
[TD] 30:50[/TD]
[TD] 5-10[/TD]
[TD] 2-4[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 11[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 5[/TD]
[TD] 6[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Andrew Bogut [/TD]
[TD] C[/TD]
[TD] 30:32[/TD]
[TD] 2-4[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0-2[/TD]
[TD] 12[/TD]
[TD] 5[/TD]
[TD] 6[/TD]
[TD] 11[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Harrison Barnes [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 21:38[/TD]
[TD] 1-6[/TD]
[TD] 0-1[/TD]
[TD] 0-2[/TD]
[TD] -1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Draymond Green [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 17:02[/TD]
[TD] 1-4[/TD]
[TD] 1-2[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] -2[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Marreese Speights [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 13:56[/TD]
[TD] 3-4[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 2-4[/TD]
[TD] -5[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Toney Douglas [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 8:41[/TD]
[TD] 0-1[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] -4[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Kent Bazemore [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 5:24[/TD]
[TD] 2-4[/TD]
[TD] 1-2[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Hilton Armstrong [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 0:08[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"] Nemanja Nedovic [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 0:08[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0-0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[TD] 0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: datahl2b"]
[TD]TOTAL[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 240[/TD]
[TD] 36-84[/TD]
[TD] 7-16[/TD]
[TD] 10-18[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 11[/TD]
[TD] 31[/TD]
[TD] 42[/TD]
[TD] 17[/TD]
[TD] 18[/TD]
[TD] 4[/TD]
[TD] 15[/TD]
[TD] 8[/TD]
[TD] 89[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
The free throw shooting was pathetic and the turn over assist ratio stunk but Speights got to play about 14 minutes and the game was played Much slower and the three point shooting improved as a consequence. GS is not really designed with their current personnel to be a big uptempo team. If Jackson has started to realize that its a real positive going forward.

That article is stupid. He's trying to compare Mark Jackson to Coach Popovich, Phil Jackson, and Pat Riley. Those are 3 hall of fame coaches right there. Pretty unfair is you ask me.

Mark Jackson led the Warriors to a 47-35 record last year, then eliminated a 3 to 1 favorite Denver Nuggets in the playoffs. Then he went toe to toe with the heavily favored Spurs and held his own when most thought the Spurs would sweep the Warriors. This year despite injuries to Curry, Iggy, Bogut, J O'neal, and Ezili the Warriors are 16-13 in the tough west. That same 16-13 record would be the current 3 seed in the east. Does Mark Jackson make mistakes? Of course. All coaches do, they're not perfect. But to want to fire him is premature.

Back