Gruden to domers?

I think he would have to tone down his act before the almighty ND alum would consider him.....not sure if its been mentioned in other threads but it was the TB players that wanted him out from what i heard

I think he would have to tone down his act before the almighty ND alum would consider him.....not sure if its been mentioned in other threads but it was the TB players that wanted him out from what i heard
Yep. He talks down to his players.

Well...lets be honest here...99% of the Bucs players deserve to be talked down to...

Theres a lot of smoke around this rumor....

Hopefully it doesnt happen, cuz I want him in Philly after Andy chokes again next year

lmfao at Gruden having to calm down for ND to take him. They fired Charlie f@cking Weiss.

He talks down to everyone and is as arrogant as they get.

Gruden has described ND as his DREAM JOB...he went to high school in South Bend when, I believe, his father was on Dan Devine's coaching staff ('75 - '80).
He wouldn't have to deal with the NFL EGO and his "my way or the highway" coaching style would fit in well in CFB.

Per Wiki:
Gruden attended Clay High School in South Bend, Indiana, where his father Jim Gruden served as an assistant to Dan Devine at the University of Notre Dame. Feeling he would not have a chance to play for the Fighting Irish, Jon Gruden chose not to attend Notre Dame – where he would have received free tuition as a coach's child – but Muskingum College in New Concord, Ohio. After just one year he transferred to the University of Dayton, where he was a back-up quarterback under coach Mike Kelly from 1982-84.

Mully :cheers:

I think Gruden would do well in the college game. We're hearing bad things about him now that he got terminated, but I've always felt like he has the image,youth and energy to do well in CFB. Notre Dame would be an interesting fit. It'd be a huge hit or disaster. Can't see much middle ground with that marriage.

Lets say this did happen.

ND would pull the SCUMBAG move of the century by firing Weis after NSD and then hiring Gruden after the recruiting class is locked up.

Its a real fucked up move and gives the recruits no chance to re-evauluate the new coaching staff because they already signed their papers

Lets say this did happen.

ND would pull the SCUMBAG move of the century by firing Weis after NSD and then hiring Gruden after the recruiting class is locked up.

Its a real fucked up move and gives the recruits no chance to re-evauluate the new coaching staff because they already signed their papers

Well said, they also have to sit out a year and probably lose a year of eligibility. It's sad Universities can get away with this.
:shake:

You guys think Gruden wants anything to do with some 18 year old kids who have had everything handed to them and think they are best thing ever?

I can't see him coaching outside the NFL.

You guys think Gruden wants anything to do with some 18 year old kids who have had everything handed to them and think they are best thing ever?

I can't see him coaching outside the NFL.

Gruden has been linked to both Tennessee and ND previously...and he's done little to discount these rumors.

His coaching "schtick" and dominating personality wears thin on an NFL team. Because he is a demanding task master...after a few years NFL players "tune his ass out".

In CFB no 18-22 year old would dare question Gruden...MFer has a SB Ring.

IMO, he was made for CFB and would excel in an atmosphere where his "my way or the highway" coaching style would not be challenged.

I know a college coach he could replace and dominate right away and it aint Charlie.

doc4722a3139ce74119589391.jpg
?

personally, i cant stand chucky. i would truely be dismayed if any of my teams wanted him. i really like tony dungy and thought that he got the shaft at tampa. i feel like gruden was at the right place at the right time. i may be wrong on him but i dont think he is that good of a coach. if a col or pro team hires him for next season we will find out if he really has what it takes. i think he will get 3-5 years with whoever gets him before they realize that he is all hype and fire him. only time will tell.

just my oppinion,
stevsa

Wait, ND fired Weis?

Beyond that, I wouldn't want that guy (yes, Smoke, that includes Philly). I don't like anything I've heard about him post-firing. Like none of his ex-players seem to like him. And that's one thing if it's a few players, but it's basically all of them.

Wait, ND fired Weis?

Beyond that, I wouldn't want that guy (yes, Smoke, that includes Philly). I don't like anything I've heard about him post-firing. Like none of his ex-players seem to like him. And that's one thing if it's a few players, but it's basically all of them.

Why love the only guy to ever bring the team a super bowl appearance let alone the actual lombardi trophy ??

prior to gruden they underachieved , with gruden they won a championship , and post gruden it will be a long while before this team contends again ..... they can talk all the smack they want , cause Gruden did the actual walk. don't talk the talk if you cant walk the walk.

GRUDEN EYEING THE COLLEGE GAME

Posted by Mike Florio on February 7, 2009, 7:51 p.m. EST

Whenever we mention over at PFT the possibility of former Bucs coach Jon Gruden becoming a college coach, various commenters argue that the chronically-impatient Gruden would never be able to work with quarterbacks so young and inexperienced.
But there are signs that Gruden might be plotting a return to the sport at the college level.
According to Chris Harry of the Orlando Sentinel, Gruden has an office at the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa, and he reports for work every day to break down film.
“I want to learn the spread offense,” Gruden told Harry. “This is exciting for me.”

The spread offense widely is regarded as something that won’t work at the <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_5_0"></nobr>NFL level as a base offense. It requires athletic quarterbacks and, more importantly, it exposes them to lots of hits.
At the pro level, it would require having ten quarterbacks on the depth chart, given the certain outbreak of injuries. (Of course, given Gruden’s affinity for collecting quarterbacks, ten would be only a couple more than he usually carries.)
At the college level, the spread offense can be downright unstoppable.
“I’m going to learn a lot about the spread offense,” Gruden said, “and about CFB<nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_8_0"></nobr>.”
Though the rumors of Gruden heading to South Bend after signing day have died down considerably, Gruden could indeed be laying the foundation for a jump to the college game in 2010.

One school to watch closely, in our view, is Tennessee.
With Lane Kiffin getting off to an embarrassing start in Knoxville, his margin for error likely will be fairly small. With a losing season, he could face a storm of demands for his head — especially with Gruden lurking.
(Gruden's wife was a cheerleader at UT.)
Whether it’s ND or somewhere else, Gruden’s sudden interest in the spread offense is a sign that he’s at least considering the possibility of becoming a college coach.
That said, Gruden denies for now that he’s interested in the college game.
“It means I want to learn more football,” he said. “I’m going to pick out two or three cool colleges that I think have great offenses. Great places. I want to go to Oregon. I want my son to go to Oregon football camp, and I want to learn what the Oregon Ducks are doing on offense. . . . I want to go in there and try to be a guest coach. I want to go to Al Groh’s camp in Virginia. I love the way Al Groh coaches that football team. I want to learn a little bit about Coach [Jim] Leavitt. I want to learn about the USF team. I think he has done a hell of a job, building it from scratch. I think that’s one of the great stories in football, what he’s done in 12 years there at USF.”

It’s also possible that Gruden will be the first coach to use the spread offense at the pro level.
“The hard part is, you have to isolate the option,” Gruden said. “That’s why [Florida quarterback] Tim Tebow is so interesting to me. He’s like Brandon Jacobs playing quarterback. He’s 250 pounds. He’s the strongest human being who’s ever played the position. Ever.
“He will kick the living sh-t out of a defensive lineman. He’ll fight anybody. He is rare. Tebow is the kind of guy who could revolutionize the game. He’s the ‘wildcat’ who can throw. Most of the teams that have the wildcat back there, it’s Ronnie Brown, it’s Jerious Norwood, it’s whoever you want to say it is. This guy here is 250 pounds of concrete cyanide, man. And he can throw. He throws well enough at any level to play quarterback.”
The gushing about Tebow didn’t end there.
“He can play quarterback in the NFL,” Gruden said. “When he was a high school senior, they played Armwood in the state championship game. I have tape. He has an 80-yard touchdown run that put them in the lead. When it flipped around, and Armwood had the ball, what position do you think Tebow was playing? He was playing nose guard — and he disrupted about 10 plays. This guy is totally different. He’s got Rich Gannon, Drew Brees, that kind of makeup as a team guy. What he said after the Ole Miss game, I said ‘That’s my favorite football player I’ve ever seen in my whole life.’ I said, ‘I want Florida to win every game that kid plays from now on.’”
Though we still think it’s possible that Gruden will entertain opportunities at the college level, his comments about Tebow could position Gruden nicely to become the new head coach of the team that “earns” the first overall pick in 2010. By hiring Gruden, that team would have a coach in place who’ll presumably be prepared to try to make Tebow into a star at the NFL level.

With guys like Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan also in the mix for next year’s NFL vacancies, this might be precisely the kind of edge that Gruden needs to secure a seat in the looming game of musical chairs.

Back