• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Gruden Fired!

Throwback420

Diehard L.A. fan
GRUDEN GONE!

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 5:56 p.m.
The city that will be hosting the Super Bowl in 16 days suddenly is in the market for a new head coach.
According to Adam Schefter of NFLN, the Buccaneers have fired head coach Jon Gruden.
(Maybe, in hindsight, he should have taken the Tennessee job.)
There had been some quiet speculation that something could happen in Tampa, but with nearly three weeks since the last game Gruden had seemed safe.
The timing of the move makes us wonder whether the Bucs quietly have lined up a successor, with speculation sure to center on a guy who took two weeks off after unexpectedly being fired two weeks and three days ago, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.
Such a move would violate the Rooney Rule, which requires at least one minority candidate to be interviewed for each head-coaching vacancy. But if everyone involved is appropriately discreet, no one would have to know that someone like Shanahan already was lined up for the job.
It remains to be seen whether G.M. Bruce Allen stays or goes, since he was hired after Gruden arrived.
More to come, undoubtedly.

ALLEN GONE, TOO

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 5:57 p.m.
The Buccaneers have officially announced the termination of head coach Jon Gruden.
And they’ve also fired G.M. Bruce Allen.
“We will be forever grateful to Jon for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise,” said Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer in a team-issued release. “However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward.”
The departure of both men puts the Bucs immediately in play for either a new G.M. and head coach or a new coach who’ll have full power over the personnel office.
And the Bucs are an attractive options. They’re scheduled to be $45 million under the cap for 2009. Just last week, Allen seemed to commit that ownership would spend the entire cap surplus in the coming year.

wow, way surprised by this one

me2 kind of lol.

LoL Crazy Al. He set off a domino effect the moment he fired Lane.

Lane fired>Lane Hired by Tenn>Lane Hires Monte>Monte's D goes to sh1t once news broke out that he's going with Lane to Tenn>Horrible D leads to loses>Losses leads to no playoffs>Gruden and Bruce Fired!

wow, way surprised by this one

ohgod.gif

Raiders oust more than Bucs

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, January 16th, 2009 at 3:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.
A season-ending win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers not only knocked them out of the playoffs, but sent coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen on their way as well.

The Bucs announced the firing of both men today on their Web site.
It’s worth noting that both men have avoided publicly disrespecting the Raiders.
If either were to return, Allen would seem to be the better bet than Gruden. Allen’s departure left a management hole which was never repaired in terms of someone uniquely qualified to deal with both Al Davis and the head coach.
Interesting that Davis talked about a front office hire which had “local ties” and would be of use with regard to stadium issues and the like. Allen was gainfully employed at the time, of course.
During the week of the Raiders game, Gruden went out of his way to talk about how much he enjoyed his time in Oakland and gave Davis his due as a Hall of Famer.

Raiders oust more than Bucs

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, January 16th, 2009 at 3:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.
A season-ending win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers not only knocked them out of the playoffs, but sent coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen on their way as well.

The Bucs announced the firing of both men today on their Web site.
It’s worth noting that both men have avoided publicly disrespecting the Raiders.
If either were to return, Allen would seem to be the better bet than Gruden. Allen’s departure left a management hole which was never repaired in terms of someone uniquely qualified to deal with both Al Davis and the head coach.
Interesting that Davis talked about a front office hire which had “local ties” and would be of use with regard to stadium issues and the like. Allen was gainfully employed at the time, of course.
During the week of the Raiders game, Gruden went out of his way to talk about how much he enjoyed his time in Oakland and gave Davis his due as a Hall of Famer.

Damn, these quotes and recently watching The SCREWJOB (Tuck Rule) Game makes me LONG for a "Gruden Days" redux...chances Mr. Davis will "swallow his pride" and bring back Chucky & Allen have to be close to NIL.

ALLEN, GRUDEN TERMINATION APPARENTLY WAS A SURPRISE TO THEM

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 6:55 p.m.
As we began calling some of our connections regarding the bombshell news that the Bucs fired coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen, we learned something very interesting.
Less than an hour before the termination, Allen was transacting business as usual.
So this thing came out of the blue, at least as far as Allen was concerned.
And, presumably, Gruden.

ohgod.gif

BRYANT FINDS NEWS OF GRUDEN’S FIRING “SHOCKING”

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 7:01 p.m.
Moving quickly to line up reactions to the news that Bucs coach Jon Gruden has been fired, The Monty Show on Sporting News Radio scored an interview with Bucs receiver Antonio Bryant.
Bryant, who spent the 2008 season in Tampa and will be a free agent as of February 27, calls the news “shocking.”
“I’m very surprised, you know I felt very comfortable, especially in the environment,” Bryant said. “It’s a family atmosphere and everybody got along well, and it’s shocking, but that’s the nature of the business.”
Asked whether Bryant feels a strong sense of loyalty to Gruden, Bryant said, “I feel a sense of loyalty to anything that is Buccaneer. John Gruden was definitely a Buccaneer, he gave his all in everything. He was very devoted and a passionate guy about the game. I’m still a Buccaneer until March 1st and just the opportunity that he gave me, the organization, the ownership and the Glazers, I trust their decision in knowing that they feel they made the decision to do the right thing.”
There has been speculation that the cap-rich Buccaneers could use the franchise tag on Bryant in order to keep him from hitting the market, or to trade him from under the tag.
That’s a decision that now will be made by someone other than Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen. And there’s a chance that Gruden will be coaching a team that is trying to land Bryant.

WHAT NEXT FOR GRUDEN?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 7:26 p.m.
As long as the Glazers will have me, I’ll be here,” former Bucs coach Jon Gruden said in November as to rumors linking him to the then-vacant job at the University of Tennessee.
He didn’t know how right he was.
Still, Friday’s move is a stunner. Though we suggested on the final day of the regular season that the deflating, playoff-killing loss to the upincoming Raiders that Gruden could be in trouble, the passage of nearly three weeks seemed to be an indication that Gruden would be back.
Even Gruden didn’t see it coming. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen says that Gruden was “blindsided” by the news.
Though Gruden could opt to take some time off, enjoy his buyout, and maybe do some TV work (as long as there’s a seven-second delay and a dump button operator with an itchy trigger finger), Gruden also might jump right back onto the horse in order to unbruise his ego.
The NFL head-coaching jobs currently vacant are in St. Louis (perhaps not for long), Oakland, and New York.
But Gruden’s availability could trigger a domino effect, with a previously on-the-fence team opting to make a move, and to make a run at Gruden.
Possibilities (in our view) include Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, and Carolina.
Regarding the Panthers, the Glazers actually might have opted to delay firing Gruden until it became obvious that Jerry Richardson wouldn’t be looking for a new head coach of Tampa’s NFC South rivals. If the Panthers were going to fire John Fox in the wake of Saturday night’s blowout loss to the Cardinals, it likely would have happened by now.
Then there are the Eagles. What if Philly gets flattened on Sunday by the Cardinals? Would owner Jeffrey Lurie pounce on the opportunity to bring Gruden back to town?
Finally, don’t rule out the college ranks — specifically Notre Dame. As John Taylor points out at CFT, the availability of Gruden could prompt the folks at South Bend to fire Charlie Weis and hire Gruden, once Touchdown Jesus is fitted with sufficiently large earmuffs.
While we’re waxing speculatively, what if certain folks at USC didn’t care for Pete Carroll’s spoiled brat routine from Thursday? With Gruden available, maybe someone with plenty of juice who doesn’t like Carroll’s attitude will now have enough evidence to launch a coup against Carroll for disrespecting Mark Sanchez.
And if Gruden goes to USC, Touchdown Jesus would need those earmuffs only once every two years.

Cleveland moved too fast on Mangini. I would take Gruden over him in Cleveland anyday.

Lets sell Mangini to Tampa!

Fuck Gruden. Anyone that wants him can have him. Dungy handed him that Super Bowl team on a silver platter and after Gruden won it he has done NOTHING with that team. Nothing except cause turmoil like what he did to "The A Train" Mike Alstott and then recently with Jeff Garcia. He's nothing. And fuck the Glazers too. Sorry ass owners. Besides, it was the talk around the Tampa Bay area that Gruden would be fired as soon as Kiffin left. :down2:

Last edited:
Gruden is overrated and last straw was loss to Raidas which knocked them out of playoffs. Thank you Browns for taking Rob "me of a win" Ryan for D-Coord.

FINALLY THESE 2 clowns were fired. I mean how were they allowed to have jobs in the NFL?

Exhibit A- This team was getting signigicantly worse every year-

Exhibit B- This team drafted some of the worst talent in the NFL-

Exhibit C- How was Warrick DUNN, Ike Hilliard, Joey Galloway, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese all starting on this team??

Exhibit D- This team had washed up players bigtime on it, they drafted very poorly, never drafting any qb's or receivers that could run.

Exhibit E- Thier Defense was in fact terrible, that Yag TAMPA cover 2 was so crap, any good QB picked them apart.

Exhibit F-Their play calling and offense was a high school offense-

Exhibit G- Their best receiver was a troubled receiver cut from other teams Bryant-

Exhibit H- So many players fell in the doghouse with GRUDEN and ended up back and forth--

Exhibit I- Gruden would attempt retarded field goals with a shitty kicker in Matt Bryant, he routinely tried kicks 10 yards past what he could make-

Exhibbit J- This team sucked and was getting worse, they are slow, small on Defense, have players that are not NFL players, they are trying to win with players who shouldnt be in the NFL anymore.

Exhibit K- This team became worse when Gruden was there, sandiego crushed them bigtime, carolina embarrased them,even th.e raiders beat them badly. Gruden did nothing to improve it, his moves were a joke

DON’T COUNT ON GRUDEN TO JETS

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 8:39 p.m.
And what looked to be a boring Friday night is filled with all sorts of fodder for speculation and rumor-mongering.
Here’s a popular one. With Jon Gruden suddenly on the market, does he become the favorite to replace Eric Mangini with the New York Jets?
Um, no.
Sure, the Jets might kick his tires. (”Why the f–k are you guys kicking my f–king tires?”) And, yeah, there will be leaks from the front office that they’re considering him.
But Gruden will want to run the show, and that disqualifies him from the get go.
Unless owner Woody Johnson is willing to neuter G.M. Mike Tannenbaum, as the Bucs did to former G.M. Rich <NOBR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">McKay</NOBR> seven years ago when Gruden was hired, Gruden won’t be the next coach of the Jets.

DON’T COUNT ON GRUDEN TO JETS

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 8:39 p.m.
And what looked to be a boring Friday night is filled with all sorts of fodder for speculation and rumor-mongering.
Here’s a popular one. With Jon Gruden suddenly on the market, does he become the favorite to replace Eric Mangini with the New York Jets?
Um, no.
Sure, the Jets might kick his tires. (”Why the f–k are you guys kicking my f–king tires?”) And, yeah, there will be leaks from the front office that they’re considering him.
But Gruden will want to run the show, and that disqualifies him from the get go.
Unless owner Woody Johnson is willing to neuter G.M. Mike Tannenbaum, as the Bucs did to former G.M. Rich <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;">McKay</nobr> seven years ago when Gruden was hired, Gruden won’t be the next coach of the Jets.

The jets probably wont even interview him, it'd be a waste of time.

I love how the media loves to speculate. Suddenly gruden is on the market and that makes him a candidate for NY? uh, no.

Jets will get spags. I know you hate it throw becuase you want him in oaktown, but he's staying right here in NY.

:cheers:

Boys, I'm hearing a TON of talk about how bad of a HC/Pseudo-GM Jon Gruden was in Tampa.

That leads me to a Q:

What was the difference between Gruden in Oaktown (where he took a pathetic team and made them perennial AFC West Champs. And, if not for two horrible calls in AFC Championship Games: The Screw Job in '01 & Fat Ass Saragusa's Late Hit on Gannon in '00...perennial Superbowl participants) and Tampa?

A: Mr. Al Davis wasn't in Tampa to control and "reign in" Chucky...who seems to have proven he cannot "run the show" when it pertains to full control over football personnel.

Thus, if y'all believe the venom you're spouting. I want you MFers to lay off the aging genius, Mr. Al Davis.............:shake:

Mully :cheers:

The DC is going to get the Bucs job. Spags is not the leading candidate in NYJ, Rex Ryan is and they will hold out to get him. Garrett going to get the Rams job and Spags is going to stay in NY. Wouldn't be surprised to see Chucky get in interview with KC once Herm gets fired. Pioli running the show there and Gruden just has to coach.

Spags just got the job in STL. Great, Gmen going to have to start fresh next year. Good for Spags he deserves a chance

This sets up a huge coaching sea change year next season as you have potentially Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, Herm Edwards, and Gruden available. Let the bidding war between Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones commence.

Spags is a great choice--

He knows defense and is a passionate man--

I dont like Gruden anymore, although he had no talent in TBAY, but whos fault is that, their drafting was beyond bad, they drafted no one good at all---

Most of their players were undersized they drafted and smallish type--

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry Jones go after him. Dallas would be a perfect fit for Gruden. As long as he doesn't have personnel powers and sticks to coaching he might do OK.

Bruce Allen would (again) be a WELCOME addition to Oakland's front office...a little background (per a poster on raiderfans.net) on his relationship with Mr. Davis:

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to interview Bruce Allen when he was the defacto GM for the Raiders.

During this interview, I asked Bruce about Al Davis. Bruce clearly had an admiration and respect of Mr. Davis, and talked about all of the times the Raiders owner has helped former players without any recognition or publicity. After I told Bruce about my naming my youngest son after Mr. Davis, he told me a story that told me a lot about his relationship with the owner.

Bruce told me that a couple of years earlier his wife was having a difficult pregnancy. Without even asking Mr. Davis to help, Bruce told me how the Raiders owner began calling doctors around the country, trying to find the best doctor possible for Bruce's wife. I could tell that this gesture really touched Bruce, as I think he became a little choked up after talking about it.

Could Bruce Allen come back to the Raiders as the GM we desperately need? I think it's possible. At one time, Bruce seemed to be very close to Mr. Davis, and Allen did not burn his bridges, as Lane Kiffin and others have done.

Mr. Davis coined the phrase "Once a Raider, always a Raider"* and has proven it numerous times by helping destitute and injured/sick ex-players (doubt you'll ever see BSPN reporting on this)..............:tiphat:

*Except Kiffin, Shanarat, and (unfortunately) Marcus.

Mully :cheers:

Back