Griese in - Grossman out

BlitzBandit

Friend of CTG
Looks like Lovie Smith has finally seen enough...

NFL Network's Adam Schefter confirmed that Brian Griese will start at
quarterback Sunday for the Bears this week...

I've been saying time and again since last year that this was going to eventually happen... then I just got tired of repeating it when Lovie Smith was too stubborn to do it... now, it looks like it's a done deal... at least for this week...

Griese doesn't have the long ball that Rexy has and he is not too great at the position himself, but one would have to think he could do more with this offense at this point... I mean, how much worse could things get for them offensively??...

with that defense, all they need is an average offense.

This team will still lose against the Lions. I would not touch a Bears game if I was not a fan of them. They have bigger problems than the quarterback position. I said they would lose the game against the Cowboys by three touchdowns. I guess I shorted the Cowboys. This Bears team is not good right now.

trading for Warner would just be another short term answer to an already short term answer in Griese. We need a long term QB for once badly. Considering since Grossman the last QB to start a great deal for the Bears was Erik Kramer is just horrible. If they were to trade then they would need to trade to get a younger QB but that would cost too much in return. So they will have to focus for a QB in the draft next year. And considering our drafted QB's in the last 10 years I'm worried as hell.

ya'll need to relax, we just needed lovie to stop being a b*tch and pull rex and cut him and tell him to never come back. im droppin 500 on the bears this week, i dont give a f*ck what anybody says.

Long Term?

You just went to the Super Bowl and have a great defense or at least plenty of the right pieces.

I would be focused on short term and getting to the Super Bowl now.
Fuck next season shit fuck next game one at a time.

This coming from an 0-3 Saints fan.
Just be glad you dont have Jason David as your offseason acquisition of note.

trading for Warner would just be another short term answer to an already short term answer in Griese. We need a long term QB for once badly. Considering since Grossman the last QB to start a great deal for the Bears was Erik Kramer is just horrible. If they were to trade then they would need to trade to get a younger QB but that would cost too much in return. So they will have to focus for a QB in the draft next year. And considering our drafted QB's in the last 10 years I'm worried as hell.

Mike Vick would be nasty in that backfield.

We have dealt with "short team" for too long now. This organization needs a QB for once that will be along for the long haul and do well. Nothing will be done in this aspect this year hence why the draft will be important. They need success in the draft, thats the biggest thing. They will get a veteran QB during the offseason most likely who will be the starter/teacher for the draft choice. Fill gap Qb shit has worked a few times to win Super Bowls but for the most part its been teams with long haul Qb's that have had the most success. This has been the biggest achilles heel of the Bears and must be corrected.

Fuck Kurt Warner, that guy is a bum.

15-20, 258 yards, 2 TD's, 150 QB rating last week in 2 quarters..

Focusing on the long term is a waste of a super Bowl caliber defense.. Time is now for Bears. Free agency will kill that defense in the next two years..

Make a trade now. That team could win a Super Bowl with a veteran QB that has been there before... Kurt Warner. He could be had right now for a 2nd rounder..

Outsiders opinion:cheers:

Focusing on the long term is a waste of a super Bowl caliber defense.. Time is now for Bears. Free agency will kill that defense in the next two years..

Make a trade now. That team could win a Super Bowl with a veteran QB that has been there before... Kurt Warner. He could be had right now for a 2nd rounder..

Let me say...when defenses have a week to prepare for Kurt he will struggle somewhat. He was excellent last week but also was in a situation where the other team was up big and the defense wasn't prepared for him.

Um, I respect you opinion but as a fan of the Bears, who has been to nearly every home game the past four years and as season ticket holder, I couldn't disagree with you more. Let me explain:

BAR is completely right on his assessment of Kurt Warner. I don't really need to talk about him because I have never been a fan of his really. If Trent Green didn't get hurt, we would never know who the fuck Kurt Warner is. Once again, fuck Kurt Warner.

Now trading for him? What makes you think the Cardinals would trade Kurt Warner? They have given no indication about that and Matt Leinart hasn't looked great. Many would argue that the Cardinals still have a chance to make the playoffs. Wisenhurt has shown he likes to mess around on offense and it worked on Sunday. It might work in the future.

Even if the Cardinals wanted to trade for him, I can guarantee you the Bears wouldn't trade for him. A second round draft pick? Get out of here. That is much more valuable future wise than a washed up quarterback. I'll use that pick on a quarterback for the future. Thanks.

Also, Warner is a pass first guy. He needs big strong wide receivers and he needs to be in a offense that is pass heavy. The Bears don't do that. I hate it, but it's true. They are a run first team, pass second. Warner would hate that and they wouldn't use him properly. It's that simple.

Now you said free agency will kill the defense in the next two years. You couldn't be farther from the truth. As an outsider, I don't slight you that much. They have locked up their cornerbacks this past summer, Urlacher will be a Bear for life, and Hillenmeyer is signed. Now Briggs? Fuck Briggs, he can leave and I wish he left before this season. Jamar Williams showed he can play. And especially in this Tampa-2 defense, the weak side linebacker will get all the tackles. If you can tackle, you will look good. Briggs is a good athlete, but he is replaceable. And we drafted Okwo out of Stanford who is a very smart player. The linebackers are fine. Safeties? Mike Brown is done as a Bear and I am glad Manning is starting because he is a better athlete, maybe not a better leader, but still. Archuleta has been ok, that might be too nice, but still. They drafted Kevin Payne this past year and I think he will be great. He looked awesome Sunday night. You also have McGowan. Defensive line? Tommie Harris will be locked up after this year and get a bigger contract than Corey Redding. Darwin Walker just got brought in and he is old, but whatever. They have Dusty Dvoracek who is gone for the season, but he will be good. Mark Anderson is young and on his rookie contract. Adewale Ogunleye, he is ok, overpaid. They got Bazuin, hopefully he can be ok. This defense has the best depth of any defense in the NFC, and they are young in those parts. How is free agency going to kill this team, remind me?

This team has sooooooo many problems than the quarterback position. The offensive line is so fucking bad. It starts with them. They are so fucking old. This was a strength last season and the season before. Their run blocking is awful. People are saying that Benson blows and they need Thomas Jones. Fuck that. Yes, TJ would be nice, but he wouldn't do anything with those tiny ass holes. Cedric Benson hasn't been as aggressive as I would like to see, but Ron Turner is also taking him out of his rhythm. The defense is not playing well on key situations, especially passing wise. They play very conservative in those situations and it is not good. I am still also not convinced with the rush defense, especially with now Tommie Harris gone for a month. They were rotating people here and now they can't do that.

With the Packers playing amazing, the Lions looking solid, the Bears are in a tough situation. They need to win this weekend, and I don't think they will. With Griese in now, they won't attack deep as often. They will rely on the running game, which has shown nothing. I am not optimistic this season, it is not good in Chicago right now.

damn goop, you seem pretty knowledgable and im also from chicago and heres what i got. give griese a chance here, you can ask BAR about detroits screen pass defense, hopefully they employ some of that. try and get benson on the outside, and i agree that last year he looked mean at times and this year he is not doing that. i think briggs is dope as sh*t and im glad we still got him, the man can play football. the bears r without a doubt in my mind better than green bay. i wouldnt have minded getting leftwich personally, but the bears r not in the market for a qb. but anyway, i got 500 on em this weekend which says im relieved we got grossman out and the bears r tight.

Jimbo...if Thomas Jones was still there he could break 200 receiving on the Screenpass this week..lmao

Griese is a solid choice right now. They will move the ball better and have some consitency on drives. He isn't a world-beater but he could pick the Liosn secondary apart..if..Big if..the o-line gives him time. Detroits front can get to teams and that is where this game will be won...well.that and how Kitna reacts to the blitzes of Chicago.

I like this decison by lovie smith. I wonder if Griese is just as bad if they put rex back in or if Kyle Orton will get the nod. Lucky for the bears the 2008 draft is littered with a decent QB class.

:23_11_59:

:23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59:
:23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59::23_11_59:​

heres what i got. give griese a chance here, you can ask BAR about detroits screen pass defense, hopefully they employ some of that. try and get benson on the outside, and i agree that last year he looked mean at times and this year he is not doing that.
Being a bear fan, I much rather have Peterson catching the screen passes, Benson needs to worry about pounding through the d-lines and wearing down DB's and SS, but more important is it takes an offensive coordinator to actually know what the heck he is doing. I know a lot of the blame is put on Grossman, o-line, turnovers, etc but its time Turner and his vanilla offense start giving these guys a chance to make plays.

He throws Hester on offense for 2-5 plays a game, leave him in there as a decoy for a series not this in 1 play out the next. Secondly start running the ball 1st, 2nd down and throw in some play action to keep defenses honest. I just hope that they pull off the reigns on this offense now when Griese gets in there instead of scaling it down because they are worried about the next Rex implosion and give these guys a chance to utilize their speed and skills.

i think briggs is dope as sh*t and im glad we still got him, the man can play football.
Briggs can play for sure but I agree with Goop, let him see how good he is when Urlacher is not playing along side of him next season. Still wish we had traded him for Wash 1st Rd pick this past offseason if that deal was really out there.

i wouldnt have minded getting leftwich personally, but the bears r not in the market for a qb.
Please tell me your kidding, with that o-line leftwhich would be a sitting duck, he is less mobile then Rex was. IF the bears are not in the market for a QB I dont know who would be then.

the bears r without a doubt in my mind better than green bay.
Boy I wish I could say the same but with all the injuries the bears are faced with right now and question marks on offense, I just do not see it. GB has a real good defense and Favre is playng out of his mind right now, going to be tough battle this year for the NFC north crown imo.
<!-- / message -->

Wow.. There is some passion in this thread..

Is your goal to make the playoffs, or win in the playoffs?

Last time I checked, Griese has never won a playoff game and he had some pretty good talent around him in Denver. His teammates hated him and he is not your best option folks.. Just my opinion, but Orton is a much better option if you do not seek a trade. He is popular on the team and I think they would rally around him. Not Griese..

Personally, I like Warner or even Kerry Collins. Both could be had right now if the price is right on the Bears side.. Even Brad Johnson but please not Griese.

All of a sudden the Bears defense looks vulnerable with injuries.. Look out..

Keep in mind, I look at this from a betting perspective so I can certainly understand the extra level of passion from the Bears fans on this subject..

From a betting perspective however, I will continue to look for value on the other side.

:cheers:

All of a sudden the Bears defense looks vulnerable with injuries.. Look out..

Keep in mind, I look at this from a betting perspective so I can certainly understand the extra level of passion from the Bears fans on this subject..

From a betting perspective however, I will continue to look for value on the other side.

Could not have said it better myself. I still am shocked they are favorites headed into Detroit this Sun.

The goal should always be to win in the playoffs just getting there is a waste for a team that had superbowl aspirations this year.

I have heard in other rumor mills that Griese is not one of the most respected guys on the team so it will be interesting. If they lose 2 outta the next 3 I say throw Orton in there what do they have to lose at that point.

hahahah, im surprpised the bears arent favored by 6-7 this week. the bears r the shit and im not even going to say anything else. ill wait til the bears blow out detroit by 20+. everyone hatin on the bears is stupid as f*ck.

goal is to miss the playoffs and get a highly rated qb in the draft. cough cough ... woodson.

I prob. would have waited one more week for this move. The Lions D is brutal, and Grossman likely would have had success. And that woulda gave him some confidence. It'll be hard for Griese to NOT have success this week, and in turn hard for him to lose this job very soon.

I highly recommend that people who want to bet on the Bears wait a week and see how Griese looks. This offense will take a while to start clicking, if it even can. Griese hasn't worked with the first team, so there will be some chemistry issues at first, especially with the wide receivers. The Bears might be able to win this game, but I'd be also curious to see how the defense is effected and if they come out jacked up.

Also to note...

There has been no new updates on whether megatron will play. He is still listed day to day.

Detroit also has o-line injury isues. Martz isn't too concerned though.

The plan is to run right at Urlacher. They have been successful doing that...the key is to not run away from him and let him use his speed in open field

Back