Greg Popovitch...

• Thread starter Thread starter Billivy
  • Start date Start date
I agree, he's one of the better coaches if not the best. Very consistant and gets the best out of his players. I also think Jerry Sloan is a great coach. He's been thru a lot of injuries and always has his team playing great ball no matter who is on the floor.

Definately in the top 5 not sure he is the best tho i loved that jumper at the end of the game. Billy where the hell you been guy. I see that u are a poker player too. I play no-limit usually 1-2 sometimes 2-5

i play MTTs buk....used to play mostly SNGs...very little cash...if I play cash it's 2/4 on AP...

guys....out of a timeout, POP is the best coach I've ever seen !!!!!

is this thread turning Yag?? POP is a good coach, lets not over do it.

I honestly don't know if he is the best coach. Spurs are the smartest team in the league, no question even. But, he coaches the smartest PF in history in my opinion and a few other veteran, smart players. He is a good coach, but I think that there are many other coaches that are a bit better, a bit worse, it's hard to call. D'Antoni on his way to bring to live second team in row after doing it in Phoenix as well. Yeah, he got his ass kick by Pop, but he played something now to this league or relatevily now, doesn't that count? Let's see Pop take the Sixers and take a ring with them. I think that you must prove yourself in at least two teams before you can be called the best.
He is in the right franchise for him and it is important as well. From current managers, I rate highly Pop, Sloann, D'Antoni, Jackson (sorry, Doc, no place for you on my lyst).

Divol...I respect what you're saying...

but D'Antoni???? he was given enough talent to come out of the west many many times...and never got to the promise land...

To put Pop and D'antoni in the same breath is an insult...now...lets talk about coaching smart players....HE HAD STEVE NASH!!!!...lol....

no doubt, I agree 100% about Duncan....but coaching smart unselfish players doesn't diminish from your accomplishments...are we to take away from jackson's coaching abillity b/c he had jordan shaq and kobe?....noooo...

do I think those players learned a lot about basketball from Greg Pop? yes...

do I think that other coaches would have fallen short of 3 championships with those players? of course...

What I'm talking about when I say best coach, is he draws up the finest palys out of timeouts I've ever seen. He's the master of clock management. He knows how to get the most out of every single player on his roster....he shows trust in his players, and in turn they trust him back...it's a rare quality...

Jackson is great, but he couldn't keep Shaq and Kobe together after winning three championships...that's inexcusable....knowing how to handle egos is a huge part of coaching...Pop got a superstar to come off the bench for a season!!! Happily come off the bench....whatever he says...they do...

if that man told me to jump off the empire state building and promised me it'd be alright...i'd close my eyes and swan dive

I agree with Bilivy regarding D'Antoni. Yes he's got the knowledge but he did not take his team all the way.

By all the way I mean all the way to the NBA finals, not even winning a title. And he did have more than solid crew to do it. Pop is just a defensive mastermind and a great, great psychologist.

He knows when to push these guys, when to lay off, he nailed it BIG time with Manu starting from the bench. Do that in another team to another player he may lose confidence or regress.

Pop knows basketball, that's for sure, we all agree there. :shake:

also, Divol said:

Let's see Pop take the Sixers and take a ring with them

Not sure he would, every championship team has to have the ingredients for it, not just a coach or a superstar player, you have to have everything to go all the way.

But what exactly did D'Antoni do in your book? He lead a force in the West for years and they always choked when push came to shove. Not entirely his fault either, there were various factors why the Suns never stepped up, that stupid suspension of Amare did not help that's for sure, some huge shots by Spurs, some dubious ref calls, they really ended up taking the ugly part of the stick every time, but you can't say let Pop do this with Philadelphia, as if you're indicating D'Antoni actually turned a Sixers-like team into what?

Contenders? yeah they were contenders, but not much more than that. Mike gets credit in my book but he does not focus on team defense enough and does not make his players better defensively, which is essential if you want to win anything else besides the "most improved team" award.

First of all, Satyr and Billivy, you're right. Not every coach can take three rings with Spurs squad and all and that is why I agree 100%. Pop is great coach. It's not the question. Is he the best at the moment? That is the question. Phil couldn't handle Kobe and Shaq, but who says Pop could have. We have a unique situation where the GM and the coach see eye to eye. Mano coming from the bench? Well that is the type of the player he is. Anything for the win, just as the rest of the Spurs (most of them at least).
Why Pop? He managed to win the title 10 years ago (even more if I'm not mistaken) and managed to build a new dynasty.
Why Sloann? He managed to turn Ostertag to a starter on a Western Champion team. He managed to get 120% of his teams so many times...
Why Jackson? He is the only coach to win rings on two different teams and he did a threepeat on three occasions with two different teams.
Why D'Antoni? Well I guess this is the most problematic part for most of the guys here. First of all, you seem to be forgetting that Suns were terrible before he became in charge. Secondly, just look at the love Suns crowd gave them. He brought back the Run and Gun style that was gone after Nelson quit Dallas. He brought some of that European Basketball that I love. He took Knicks and I remember people talking about no way that Knicks will be competetive this season already. Guess what? They are! He built a competetive and a healthy team in Knicks in a few months after seasons of having this team destroyed. Brown failed here amy I remind you. To take two teams from the ashes and with fun basketball? I love it and cherish that.

Back