Greg Popovich is a Living Legend

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
The Spurs have hired WNBA star Becky Hammons as an assistant coach.

The Spurs will once again serve as innovators in hiring Hammons as the first female assistant in NBA history. Hammons is set to retire from the WNBA after the 2014 season ends and will join Gregg Popovich's bench for the 2014-15 NBA season. "I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Having observed her working with our team this past season, I'm confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs."

This is another example of his open-mindedness, a crucial quality in any head coach (and any leader). I hope this works out. If there's any coach who can make it work, it's definitely Pop.

I just can't see any male NBA athlete listening to a female assistant coach.

On most NBA teams I agree, but the Spurs seek out a different type of player, one who is over themself and their ego and who would be willing to listen to any coach that can make them better.

Great hire, but I am disappointed because I was trying to get a grassroots movement started for Becky to be the next men's basketball coach at UTSA.

On most NBA teams I agree, but the Spurs seek out a different type of player, one who is over themself and their ego and who would be willing to listen to any coach that can make them better.

Great hire, but I am disappointed because I was trying to get a grassroots movement started for Becky to be the next men's basketball coach at UTSA.

can't this still be a stepping stone for that!?

can't this still be a stepping stone for that!?

Actually now that I think about it yes...very good point.

Will now have a year of coaching experience under the best coach in the game to enhance her resume and will still be in town.

UTSA had a lousy recruiting class and i expect them to be a bottom dwellar again this year in CUSA. Were the worst defensive squad in the league and Coach Thompson should have positioned them better off of winning a first four tourney game 3 years ago. Afraid the program is regressing now and he needs to go.

Back