Great value on a longshot....

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
Sorry to start another thread, but I thought we might be able to have a discussion here that ties in Redbearde's style of ML's and Killa's thread about poor teams and their inability to cover without winning SU.

With such a large card today there happens to be many games that really jump out at me. I'm not really one who wants a SportNut size card on a daily basis so I'll occasionally take a long shot Parlay. I don't post them in my records only because I like to keep it all about staight bets, but the value IS there beyond a doubt. I thought I'd post this parlay that I'm playing only for entertainment and maybe to create some good conversation.

1 Unit to win 44.99 Units

Bobcats ML +350/ Hawks ML +265/ Knicks ML +180

So you have three teams that are medium sized to big underdogs and all are there for a reason. I can honestly find a reason why I think all three have a legitimate chance of winning.

Bobcats SU winner is 27-3-1 ATS I have a great deal of confidence that they can win the game tonight as they're 3-4 SU last 7 win wins against Utah, Indiana, and the Lakers. Respectable losses to Dallas, Minnesota and Washington. Magic are 5-9 SU last 14 with wins against a depleted Sixers team, Cavs, Hornets, Heat, and Clippers. 3 of those teams barely qualified as NBA teams when they played them and the Cavs and Clippers are horrid road teams. Some of their losses have included the Warriors and Raptors at home. Not what you would consider good losses. So obviously at nearly 4-1 their is plent of value in the Bobcats.

Hawks SU winner is 27-3 ATS. The Hawks are 14-4 ATS last 18 versus the Raptors and have beaten them twice this year already. Raptors won't have Ford or Garbajosa and Bosh will be playing his 2nd game back from the knee injury. The Hawks have lost 7 striaght SU. Seems horrible, well it is, but their is a fine line to those losses. They can against some stiff competition. Chicago, Indiana, Utah, Cleveland, Houston, and San Antonio. I think they're going to find Toronto's defense to be a welcome suprise after facing 5 of the best defenses in the league. Probably not as good of value as the Bobcats, but their are injuries for the Raptors along with past results that are keeping this line closer.

Knicks SU winner is 32-3 ATS. They are about as unpredictable as a team can be. I think everybody is aware why they can win tonight. Mainly no inside game for the Sonics and this would be a nice win to salvage the trip.

So if I somehow come out of the first two games with a victory I'll have plenty of time between those games and the final game to hedge the whole bet. I'd be in a position to play two units on the Sonics ML and break even with a Sonics victory. If the Knicks were to pull off the upset then I'd be left with a 43 unit victory. The better way to play it would be to put 4 units on the Sonics ML and come out a winner either way. The hard part is getting to a position where you can decide how much to hedge.

All thoughts are welcome and encouraged.

I like it u should look into throwin a football fav in there too like i did like the Pats

I'm not looking to throw anything in there because the entire purpose of it is to find value in underdogs that could win SU. The point isn't to make some 6 team parlay with random sports.

no u have a three team parlay with a fav is what i meant. It seems to me like ur playing expectin to hedge Im saying play to win

I don't know if you fully understand why I would make this play. I DON'T expect it to win. Matter of fact the books are saying it's got about a 2.5% chance that it'll happen. If I was to throw in, say the Patriots, instead of the Knicks my return would only be 19 units. So with that logic I'd be given a 5% chance of winning. Do you really think that taking the Patriots over the Knicks is worth 25 units? If I get to the point where I can hedge it'll be WAY more than expected.

My main point is that I like all three of the dogs in the parlay ATS, but with the info from Killa's thread why would I want to bet any of them ATS? I don't want to make 3 seperate plays on them so I found another way to play all of them. This really shouldn't hit, but I'd say if I played it 45 times it'd sure as hell hit once.

johnci said:
Jpicks-
I like the idea.
I don't like the Bobcats. :)

I can certainly respect that. I like the Bobcats enough to actually make a seperate play on them. Difference of opinions. I certainly don't like how large the line is, but I'm hoping it's overreaction to a lack of Wallace.

bobcats were +9 last time i checked, don't see why its so much. theyre well rested, coming off a home lose in which they blew a 4th quarter lead, and 4 days until their next game. Anyone of these bobcats can score, just need to play some defense

ya from the sounds of what you're playing I'm sure that you're my biggest fan. GL with the doggies.

Great thoughts J...I have been trying to come up w/ some SU Fav winners tonight. Put together a 2 gm ML parlay of Wash/Memphis...3 units to win 2.8 so almost a 1:1. I almost took Tor or Orlando, but was concerned for the reasons you pointed out. I might throw 1/2 a unit on your idea for the hell of it.

4-TEAM PARLAY
[701] CHARLOTTE BOBCATS +400
[703] ATLANTA HAWKS +260
[719] NEW YORK KNICKS +185
[723] DENVER NUGGETS +240

Risking $5 to win $867

Added in one of my own...Nugs tonight. Fakers packed it in after getting up by 16 at half last night. Went to OT and pulled out a squeaker.

F IT...its about time a Costanza comes through for me!! :wacka wacka:

BigRaktor said:
4-TEAM PARLAY
[701] CHARLOTTE BOBCATS +400
[703] ATLANTA HAWKS +260
[719] NEW YORK KNICKS +185
[723] DENVER NUGGETS +240

Risking $5 to win $867

Added in one of my own...Nugs tonight. Fakers packed it in after getting up by 16 at half last night. Went to OT and pulled out a squeaker.

F IT...its about time a Costanza comes through for me!! :wacka wacka:

Honestly I normally hate parlays. Their ok in baseball, but in other sports you're losing value. Only reason i ever do them in basketball is to take a few of the teams that fall under Killa's thread and put them together and see what happens. I'm certainly not endorsing going out and making 3 parlays a night.

Not a bad parlay as long as you really don't expect to win it and you know you're basically throwing 5 bucks away. The reason I don't have the Nuggs in there is that if i wanted to play the Nuggs I'd rather have the points. They aren't really one of those teams that falls under the never wins ats without the su vicotry. Either way the gamble might be worth the price of a burger.

well, I wouldn't do this because the chances of going perfect on a set of ML dogs are square root sorts of slim. I think there's plenty enough risk on taking the kitties tonight...not to mention another to go with it. And if you're thinking of hedging, then you're ultimately reducing your return anyway.

I would suggest taking a unit and splitting it between these three rather than putting it on 1 parlay.

...GL with it.

Yeah...it didn't work out so well...I knew I was throwin out $5...been having such shitty luck I even middled out of my other ML parlay at half in Bos/Memphis. I'm basically even for the day.

Back