aTm O 78' (2u)
Missouri O 71' (2u)
SJSt +4 (2u) ML +160 (1u)
Vanderbilt TT O 41' (2u)
Baylor TT O 52' (3u)
Utah St +7

Last edited:
Steele has News and Notes back up for free:

South Carolina figured to be in a letdown spot after losing to Georgia and if you look at the final, you would think that was the case as they only got past Vanderbilt by 10. For those that didn’t watch the game, SC was dominant early showing no signs of a letdown. In fact, they looked like a team off a loss and angry. They went 42/6pl, 98/11pl, 76/8pl and 92/8pl for td’s to lead 28-0 just 5:00 into the 2Q. SC was intercepted and returned 69 yards to its 1 and Vandy got a 1 yard td “drive” to make it 28-7. At the half SC had a commanding 376-95 yard edge and came out in the 2H going 75/10pl for a td to lead 35-10. VU’s best offensive drive was a 49/10pl showing that resulted in a td with 14:12 left to make it 35-17. SC then fumbled a kick at its own 19 and VU got a 19 yard td drive then SC fumbled the punt at its own 37. Now with VU down 10, they found themselves at the SC4 threatening to make a game of it when they were intercepted at the 1. SC went 64/17pl before being SOD at the VU36 with :53 left. SC had 579-268 yard and 31-14 FD edges

Mississippi St’s Tyler Russell was injured but Dak Prescott looked impressive against Auburn hitting 15-28-213 and also rushing for 133 yards. Twice in the 2H he converted on 4th down with some QB runs. Auburn looked like they’d be on their way to a blowout jumping to an 11-0 lead but a 61 yard Prescott pass and a 14 yard run by Lewis capped a 2pl drive to get MSU back in it at 11-6. Trailing 14-6. Miss St went 79/11pl for a td with 5:02 left in the half to only trail 14-13. The Bulldogs opened the 3Q with a 75/6pl drive capped by a 2 yard td run to lead 20-14. The Tigers went 59/7pl for a 47 yard FG with 9:53 left in the 3Q, 20-17 but then fumbled at their own 48, were intercepted at the MS40, and took over with 1:56 left in the game at their own 12. Nick Marshall, who hit 23-34-339 in by far his best outing yet, led the team 88/12pl and on 2nd&7 hit an 11 yard td pass with :10 left for the win.

Many of LSU’s sellout crowd left during the 2H of the Kent St game. LSU had a 571-248 yard edge and appeared to be on its way to a huge rout as they went 86/5pl, 57/6pl, 37/4pl, 68/5pl, and 93/8pl on their first 5 poss for 4 td’s and a FG to lead 31-7. LSU fumbled the punt with 1:38 left and the Flashes got a FG with :17 left to make it only 13-10. LSU had a 259-105 yard edge at the half. Kent St surprisingly went 49/10pl on its second 3Q drive for a 36 yard FG, 31-13. LSU then went 73/9pl and 60/5pl, getting a td with 10:44 left to make it 45-13. Kent missed a 48 yard FG with 5:05 left and LSU ended the game at the KS15 taking a knee, disappointing a few LSU backers.

No doubt Texas is not living up to my advanced billing. I put out my selections in a magazine which is distributed nationally to hundreds of thousands of people year round and naturally those selections are on record, not just an internet fad that is tweeted. I picked Texas #4 in the country as I thought they had the talent and schedule to be favored in every game. After dropping 2 games as a favorite vs BYU and Mississippi, that will no longer be the case this year. UT still has not figured it out on D. Ole Miss finished with a 449-320 yard edge. Their biggest problem may have been on offense this past Saturday. After giving up td’s of 75/8pl and 57/8pl on their first 2 possessions, UT scored on its next 5 possessions while not allowing a point. Unfortunately, they settled for 3 FG’s of 28, 30 and 47 yards and only led 23-14 before Ole Miss got a 52 yard FG on the final play of the half. UT had a 220-207 yard edge at the half. UM dominated the 2H including a 73 yard PR td and UT punted on its first 4 possessions of the half, fumbled the 5th, was SOD at the UM47 on the 6th and was SOD at its own 27 on the last. UM got a td with 8:42 left to extend the margin to 44-23. I had Mack Brown #1 on my hotseat list at the start of the year saying if they had another 6, 7 or 8 win season he’d be in trouble and right now they figure to be an underdog to Oklahoma, at TCU, home to Oklahoma St, possibly at home to Texas Tech on November 28th and at Baylor unless they right their ship in a hurry.

Arkansas lost starting QB Brandon Allen (2-5-33) in the 1Q vs Southern Miss and while he had his arm tightly held against his body in a sling in the 2H, Bielema says he will play this week vs Rutgers. AJ Derby replaced him and hit 4-6-36. SM lost its 15th straight game, the longest losing streak in the country, but this one was respectable as the Eagles were only outFD’d 17-16 and outgained 327-254. Jonathan Williams rushed for 116 yards and Alex Collins 115. Arkansas led 10-3 at the half with SM being intercepted at the UA8 with 1:28 left. The Hogs only had a 159-130 yard edge. SM missed a 49 yard FG to open to the 3Q and was SOD at the UA19 early in the 4Q. The Hogs then went 81/14pl for a td with 7:20 left to win it by 21.

Johnny Manziel hit 28-39-464 yards with a couple of big plays late helping Texas A&M only lose by 7 to Alabama. AJ McCarron hit 20-29-334 yards. Things didn’t look good for the defending National Champs as Manziel led A&M to two easy td drives of 84/7pl and 59/5pl for a 14-0 lead. A&M did finish with a 628-568 yard edge. Bama battled back, the key being a Manziel interception in the endzone with the score 14-14 and McCarron hit a 51 yard td pass 4pl later. Bama appeared in control in the 2H leading by 21 or 14 the entire half. Up 42-28, the Tide fumbled at the A&M2 and Manziel on 3rd&9, found Evans for a 95 yard td pass, the 2nd longest in A&M history to pull them within 7. Bama would go 65/9pl for a td with 2:28 left to go back up by 14 but A&M would go 75/10pl and got a 4 yard td pass with :15 left to “only” lose by a td.

Tennessee jumped out to a 7-0 lead vs Oregon and it was even 7-3 after a couple of possessions but Marcus Mariota threw for a career-high 456 yards hitting 23-33 as the Ducks rolled up 687-316 yard and 29-14 FD edges. For the third straight game, UO did not put away its offense at the half like they did last year. They led 38-7 at the break, but outscored UT 21-0 in the 3Q before allowing a 73/12pl drive for a garbage td with 7:14 left. The fans chanted “SEC, SEC” after the game as they notched a big win over a conference which boasts the last seven National Champs. On the Ducks’ 4th possession, they got a 40 yard PR to set up a 37/4pl td drive with 3:34 left in the 1Q then went 78/5pl, 80/4pl, 80/7pl, and 92/6pl all for td’s to lead 38-7 at the half with a 458-166 yard edge. They went 73/9pl, 89/7pl, 63/9pl on their first three 3Q possessions to make it 59-7 and with the last drive led by backup QB Lockie

Week 4 SEC games:

A bunch of duds here,

UGA -32' vs North Texas
Vandy -32 vs UMASS
Tenny +17' @ Florida
Miss St -14 vs Troy
aTm -28' vs SMU
Bama -39' vs Colorado St
Arkansas -1 @ Rutgers
Auburn +17' @ LSU
Missouri -3 @ Indiana

I like Vandy quite a bit this week. I "Best Bet" Vandy @ -31 when UMass came to Nashville last season, and the final score is not indicative how one-sided this game was. Vandy lead 49-0 after 3 quarters, and coasted to a 49-7 victory. The cover was never really in doubt.

This season oddsmakers are offering us essentially the same line with a reversal in venue. With no look-ahead concerns for Vandy with UAB on deck, I expect to see a repeat of the dominating performance we saw last season. Although I picked up Vandy early @ -31, I still like them at the current -32.5 line. Honestly, I expected this number to be about a touchdown higher than what is being offered.

What do y'all think about State-Troy? I've already played Troy at 14.5 and I'm thinking about adding a small ML play. On top of the matchup issues I think this is a terrible spot for State coming off a tough loss in a game they really needed. I believe stuff is about to hit the fan in Starkghanistan.

What do y'all think about State-Troy? I've already played Troy at 14.5 and I'm thinking about adding a small ML play. On top of the matchup issues I think this is a terrible spot for State coming off a tough loss in a game they really needed. I believe stuff is about to hit the fan in Starkghanistan.

Will be interesting to see how Mississippi State responds to the Auburn loss. Auburn is pretty much their biggest game of the year, so that loss has to be pretty deflating. Will they come out with a "must win" sense of urgency, or will they pack it in???

Don't really have time to discuss right now, but I like Troy quite a bit. Troy really out-played them last season, and would have won outright had it not been for a 4-0 turnover margin in favor of State. I will definitely take the 2 touchdowns. Not sure if I'll make a ML play or not.

You're right that it's about to get really ugly for Mullen in Starkvegas. No doubt that that loss was deflating, especially since they should have won and coaching cost them. Not sure who is playing QB this week, but I don't think it makes a difference, and the backup might be a little better anyway. I don't really trust MSU to have a bounce back performance, but it wouldn't surprise me to have one lsat push before Mullen goes 0-fer in conference and gets canned. Unlikely to bet this game, but I lean taking the points as I'm not sure State should be 2 TD favorites over any FBS schools

I like Vandy quite a bit this week. I "Best Bet" Vandy @ -31 when UMass came to Nashville last season, and the final score is not indicative how one-sided this game was. Vandy lead 49-0 after 3 quarters, and coasted to a 49-7 victory. The cover was never really in doubt.

This season oddsmakers are offering us essentially the same line with a reversal in venue. With no look-ahead concerns for Vandy with UAB on deck, I expect to see a repeat of the dominating performance we saw last season. Although I picked up Vandy early @ -31, I still like them at the current -32.5 line. Honestly, I expected this number to be about a touchdown higher than what is being offered.

I agree with you on this one. Vandy doesn't get the opportunity to blow out teams very often, playing in the SEC, so I think they do it when they can.

I agree with you on this one. Vandy doesn't get the opportunity to blow out teams very often, playing in the SEC, so I think they do it when they can.

What attracts me to this play again this year is ease by which they covered last season, and I think Vandy is a stronger team this season. I'm sure UMass is somewhat improved too, but I just don't see where HFA will close the enormous gap between these two teams. I LOVE Vandy here.

I'm starting to warm up to more SEC road chalk with Arky. I'm looking at that game more in depth now. You have any opinion on it???

Some thoughts on SEC games:

Would be reasonable to expect letdown performances for Bama and aTm. For Bama, it is the first home game, but the school has suspended block seating in the student section in anticipation of lack of interest in the game. The weather is also supposed to be rainy, so I can see a conservative offensive game plan for the Tide. This week at practice, a ton of young guys have been getting first team reps, especially in the secondary. Throw in that CSU's coach is our ex-OC, and it all points to a comfortable Bama win, but maybe not a huge blow out. 41-13 seems like a pretty reasonable score. With poor weather, Saban will likely get AJ, TJ, Cooper, etc out of the game as soon as he can to avoid injury, and he doesn't want to run it up on his buddy Jum McElwain. Only issue is that Bama's 4th string RB might be one of the best RBs CSU sees this year. If this line creeps over 40, I'll be on the Rams. At no point will I consider a bet on Bama, unless it's a team total. Under might be worth a look.

Texas A&M certainly left it all out on the field last weekend. Manziel was transcendent, if not a little lucky on some plays, and Evans is a beast. SMU shouldn't pose too much of a problem, but aTm couldn't keep an Ivy League team under 350 yards of offense, so I expect SMU to score. aTm will also score, but will it be enough to cover? Or will the defense stop them enough to cover? I lean taking the points here, but leaving it at 28' seems to be begging for SMU money. Pass on line, and likely the total. 78 is really high, but no way I bet under. SMU team total over might be a play

Miss St has been discussed all over the board, and my thoughts are that they are the worst team in the West, possibly by a large margin. At 2 TDs, Troy is very attractive.

17' seems like too many points for a team with Florida's offense to lay. Tenn got spanked last week, but did anyone expect different? Including Tennessee? Oregon's offense is a matchup nightmare for any team, but especially a young and not so talented defense like Tenn. Driskell is more their speed. Line has moved under 17. If it goes back, I'll look at taking the Vols. No way I can back UF to score points.

Vandy has been discussed. Blowout city

Like the UT/UF game, 17' points seems like a big spread in the AU/LSU game. The more I look into it, the more I like LSU to win by 3+ scores. AU crept by Miss St last week, but it may be AU's only conference win this season. Despite hiring offensive guru Gus Malzahn, AU's offense has been mediocre and turnover prone. Their defense is crap, particularly the back 7, and will be missing a starter in the secondary for this game. That may not matter, because he sucks anyway. LSU on the other hand, has seen a level of offensive consistency they haven't seen in years. Their tall and athletic WRs will pose matchup issues for AU, as will a steady diet of their RB stable. LSU's defense has taken a couple of steps back from the beast units they've had the last few seasons, but they are athletic and talented. Gus' MO has been to have some new wrinkles for the big games, so I could see AU scoring early and even having a lead. As long as Mettenberger doesn't panic, LSU should be able to wear them down and win comfortably. My initial thought was to take the points, but I don't make a habit of betting against LSU at home at night. No bet for me right now, I want to see where the line goes.

Taking a flyer on Arkansas. They're running the ball well right now, so I'm not as concerned about the QB situation. Rutgers has great numbers against the run right now, but we should be able to find out if that defense is for real this weekend

All I know about Indiana is that they have a good offense and a terrible defense. Pinkel on the hot seat (supposedly) and with an offense that can score. Lean the road favorite, but not playing the game unless it's to take the over

I was also looking to pounce on CSU at 6 TDs or better, but just can't do it at the current number.

I've watched CSU quite a bit this season, and they really should not come anywhere close to scoring in this game. But yeah, you know how it is. Saban puts in a bunch of young guys late, and the next thing you know CSU is spiking the ball in the end zone. I went ahead and added Alabama to a small parlay @ -37.5.

I'm on Vandy and Troy pretty big, and will be on Arky as well.

Best of luck this weekend gps!!!

Added some plays. Going to be heading up to Nashville in a bit, going to Titans/Chargers tomorrow. Will try to post any more plays I make. Good luck to everyone.

Back