gps_3 Week 1 NCAAF

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Greetings all. Can't believe it's already here. Looking forward to the discussion here, best capping forum on the internets.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I am in the process of starting my own business, so my capping time has been cut into, and I will likely be unable to put together things like I usually do, but I will certainly be around to give quick thoughts concerning the SEC. Don't have my records from the last 2 years of posting, and I haven't looked for them since the crash, but I think I was around 58% in 2011, and a little worse last year. I do know that I ended last year on pretty much the opposite of a Silky heater, an ice-cold gps freeze run. Hope to get off to a good start this season.

Will try to get some preseason SEC thoughts up some time today or tomorrow. Good luck to all.

2013: 0-0 0 units

Week 1
: Will add as the week goes on

Bama -18' (3 units)
LSU -4 (3 units)
Oklahoma St -12' (2 units)
S. Carolina U 56' (2 units)

Vandy U 53' (2 units)
USC -21' (3 units)

Mich St U 44'
No. Illinois +3

La Monroe +21
Toledo +23' (2 units)
La-Lafayette +10'
Wash St +15' (2 units)
Clemson +1'

BYU -1
USC -11 2h (3 units)
SMU +5

Rice 2H +17 (2 units)
Bama O 45' (2 units)
Bama TT O32' (2 units)
Auburn TT U 38' (2 units)
LSU 2H -.5

Ohio +21
Col St -3
Pitt +11

Last edited:
leaning bama and other with u..bol this year. Hopefully we can get a rematch in the title game this year!

2013: 0-0 0 units

Week 1
: Will add as the week goes on

Bama -18' (3 units)
LSU -4 (3 units)
Oklahoma St -12' (2 units)
S. Carolina U 56' (2 units)
Vandy U 53' (2 units)
USC -21' (3 units)

Looks like a winning card to me. At least I hope so, because I'm on many of those as well.

I always look forward to your thoughts on the SEC. I always find it amazing how similar we think. Perhaps there will be some beer sharing in our future.

:shake:

Anyone with opinions on Bama/VT total? I see 45'. This is the kind of game where Bama usually puts up 38-45 points on their own. Hate to have a side and a total in the same game, but I can easily see this being a 42-14 type game

My SEC Projections

West:
1. Bama
2. LSU
3. aTm
4. Ole Miss
5. AU
6. Ark
7. Miss St

East:
1. S.Carolina
2. UGA
3. UF
4. UT
5. Vandy
6. Mizzou
7. UK

Bama over SC

Quick thoughts:

Not much to say about Bama, they'll be good. Offense will likely end up being greatest in school history, assuming AJ stays healthy

I think LSU will be better than most do. They lost a ton, but not many teams reload like Les Miles does.

I just have a feeling that aTm takes a big step back. Even before Uncle Nate became a household name, I think Manziel's behavior will hurt the team, and they lose 3-4.

I don't trust Aaron Murray and Mark Richt. Murray is 4-9 career against top 25 teams. 3 of those were ranked 23, 24 and 25. The 4th was UF last year, and it took 6 TOs to get the W. Wouldn't be surprised to see them start 0-2, but I think they'll definitely be 1-1.

Best SCAR team under SOS? I think so. Clowney makes up for lack of LB experience. Hell, he might make up for playing D with 9 players. Hope the refs don't overreact and get him tossed from a game after he obliterates another player with a completely legal hit

Of the new coaches, I think Malzahn will have the best year, but I think Butch Jones could have the longest tenure, provided UT sets realistic expectations. AU can only go up after last year's abortion, but that defense will still be atrocious. Not sure about Marshall at QB. Phenomenal athlete for sure, but 20 picks against JUCO competition? SEC defenses might be a rude awakening. I think Bielema is a clown, but his run heavy offense can play in this league and I think he'll have Arkansas back at mediocrity in no time.

Interested to see how Vandy reacts after off the field issues all summer. First time that's happened, right? Like Franklin a lot. A good season here may be his last in Nashville.

Ole Miss is certainly on the way up, but they are in the wrong division to make a bunch of noise.

Miss St and UK will suck ass, but at least UK can blame a new staff. Mullen might not survive to the 2014 season, especially if Ole Miss continues it's upward ascent.

Literally no clue on Missouri. Still can't consider them part of the SEC. Will need to study them more

That's all for now, will start looking into the league games more and will have some thoughts soon

Glad to see you and jimmy and other SEC guys I respect talking bout LSU...Lately the wagon seems to be filling up lol...took a while, but the preseason ranking is very low to me(not that it means anything)...

Glad to see you and jimmy and other SEC guys I respect talking bout LSU...Lately the wagon seems to be filling up lol...took a while, but the preseason ranking is very low to me(not that it means anything)...

If the offense finds itself some consistency, LSU is a legit national title contender IMO. I have a feeling that wagon might start getting a little more full by Sunday morning

Week 1 SEC thoughts (lines might not be current, but were accurate as of a day or two ago):

S. Carolina (-12') vs UNC: SC is my pick to win the East, and I think they are clearly the better team here. However, it's the first game and likely the highest expectation level ever in Columbia, and there is added focus on them due to Clowney. I think SC will win, but I lean to taking the points here. UNC has talent, and SC isn't incredibly strong on defense outside of Clowney. I expect a slow moving game and a comfortable SC victory to the tune of 24-14

Ole Miss (-3') vs Vanderbilt: One of the hardest games to cap. Extremely important game to both teams in terms of the bowl pecking order, as both teams have several likely losses on the schedule. Vandy at home getting points is attractive, as is backing Ole Miss who showed tremendous improvement last year, and brought in a great freshman class. Like the SC game, I expect nerves to play a factor in the first half as both teams struggle to get into a rhythm on offense. Gun to my head, I'm taking the points.

Bama (-18') vs Va Tech: Been discussed a bunch here already, but we know what we're going to get from Alabama. They've shown the last few years that given several weeks to prepare, you have to have your A+ game ready if you want to compete. Much better teams than Va Tech have been blown out in these exact situations. Don't expect it to be close, and really starting to like the over, as Bama likely gets to 38+ points, and Logan Thomas leads a heroic late TD drive against Bama's scout team defense

Mississippi St (+12') vs Okie St: Normally I'd be all over an SEC getting DD's in a non-conference game, but I just don't see how Miss St competes here. Lost to every legit team they played last year, and it's not like they got a talent infusion in the offseason. I believe Mullen will find his seat very warm in the coming months. Meanwhile, Ok St has been very consistent on offense, putting up big numbers year after year. This is simply a game where I don't think MSU can keep up. They'll try to slow it down I'm sure, but Ok St will eventually score, and Miss St isn't equipped to match them score for score. Maybe a close game at the half, but I predict a 2 TD+ win for Okie St

Florida (-23') vs Toledo: UF's offense wasn't very good last year, and Toledo is a legit MAC team. Given that UF has Miami on deck and that they didn't blow out any of their mid-major opponents last year, I expect this one to stay inside the number. Of course, I could see UF forcing some early turnovers and the game gets out of hand quickly, but even that allows for a backdoor cover when the scrubs are in

Auburn (-16) vs Washington St: Hurry-up no huddle vs the Air Raid. I'm not sure what to expect out of Auburn this season because last year's lay down and take it is still so fresh on my mind. I don't think AU has SEC level talent at a number of positions, namely LB, DB, WR, RB, and QB, but they have a decent and experienced OL that coupled with Malzahn's offense can cover up talent deficiencies. The defense will still be awful, so the O will have to score points to win games. I don't know much about Wash St, but the one time I watched them last year, they looked like a high school team. And not a very good one. But, Leach's record at Texas Tech is impressive, and it should be only a matter of time before they are at least competitive. As for this game, I can see AU getting out ahead and early, and then Wazzu getting back into it. 16 is too many points to lay, especially with a team that can't defend, so I lean Was St here. The over is also worth a look.

LSU (-4') vs TCU: Similar to Alabama, LSU tends to do very well in these games. Although LSU lost a ton of talent, they replace it with talent, just some inexperience. LSU has a million RBs, and aren't afraid to hit anyone (that's for you Twinkie). TCU is a fine team and will be in the thick of the Big12 race, but I like LSU here to win by 7-13 points

Georgia (-1') vs Clemson: UGA lost more than LSU on defense this offseason, and Clemson is the wrong team to break in the new guys against. UGA will certainly put up some points, but I don't see them slowing down Boyd. Murray has a poor record against ranked teams (4-9), and Richt likes to choke when he has high expectations. The more I think about it, the more I like Clemson in this game. Beating LSU last year was the best thing that could have happened to them confidence-wise, and I believe it will show up in front of what I can only assume will an out of control atmosphere. I'll call for Clemson to win something like 41-35

Not much to say about the other games. I keep hearing from a lot of people that UL-L is a great bet against Arkansas, but I'll have to look into that one a bit more before I offer an opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see UK get beat by WKU as Petrino starts his one year audition to get back to coaching at a BCS school. UT and Mizzou should coast, no interest in betting the games though.

Thoughts and comments welcome. Good luck to all who bet

Thanks Twink, let's crush this weekend.

Added plays. Not sure if there will be more, will wait until my local releases team totals. May tail a few of you badasses on here too. I will post my tails as well since that makes it a lot easier to crunch the numbers

any thoughts on the total in UGA/Clemson? Big number.

Its too high for me to take, but I don't see how you can feel confident taking the under here. Neither defense will scare the opposing offense. Seems like a 38-35 type game. Both sides of the total will be sweating it out in the 4th quarter IMO

I have been bullish on LSU since Les hired Cam Cameron. Again, I think it's uncanny how similar gps and I think on college football, and more particularly, the SEC.

13-11 week one for +4.9 units. SHould have just left Sunday and Monday alone. Oh well. Starting on week 2

Last edited:
Oh and by the way...

Week 1 SEC thoughts (lines might not be current, but were accurate as of a day or two ago):

S. Carolina (-12') vs UNC: SC is my pick to win the East, and I think they are clearly the better team here. However, it's the first game and likely the highest expectation level ever in Columbia, and there is added focus on them due to Clowney. I think SC will win, but I lean to taking the points here. UNC has talent, and SC isn't incredibly strong on defense outside of Clowney. I expect a slow moving game and a comfortable SC victory to the tune of 24-14

Ole Miss (-3') vs Vanderbilt: One of the hardest games to cap. Extremely important game to both teams in terms of the bowl pecking order, as both teams have several likely losses on the schedule. Vandy at home getting points is attractive, as is backing Ole Miss who showed tremendous improvement last year, and brought in a great freshman class. Like the SC game, I expect nerves to play a factor in the first half as both teams struggle to get into a rhythm on offense. Gun to my head, I'm taking the points.

Bama (-18') vs Va Tech: Been discussed a bunch here already, but we know what we're going to get from Alabama. They've shown the last few years that given several weeks to prepare, you have to have your A+ game ready if you want to compete. Much better teams than Va Tech have been blown out in these exact situations. Don't expect it to be close, and really starting to like the over, as Bama likely gets to 38+ points, and Logan Thomas leads a heroic late TD drive against Bama's scout team defense

Mississippi St (+12') vs Okie St: Normally I'd be all over an SEC getting DD's in a non-conference game, but I just don't see how Miss St competes here. Lost to every legit team they played last year, and it's not like they got a talent infusion in the offseason. I believe Mullen will find his seat very warm in the coming months. Meanwhile, Ok St has been very consistent on offense, putting up big numbers year after year. This is simply a game where I don't think MSU can keep up. They'll try to slow it down I'm sure, but Ok St will eventually score, and Miss St isn't equipped to match them score for score. Maybe a close game at the half, but I predict a 2 TD+ win for Okie St

Florida (-23') vs Toledo: UF's offense wasn't very good last year, and Toledo is a legit MAC team. Given that UF has Miami on deck and that they didn't blow out any of their mid-major opponents last year, I expect this one to stay inside the number. Of course, I could see UF forcing some early turnovers and the game gets out of hand quickly, but even that allows for a backdoor cover when the scrubs are in

Auburn (-16) vs Washington St: Hurry-up no huddle vs the Air Raid. I'm not sure what to expect out of Auburn this season because last year's lay down and take it is still so fresh on my mind. I don't think AU has SEC level talent at a number of positions, namely LB, DB, WR, RB, and QB, but they have a decent and experienced OL that coupled with Malzahn's offense can cover up talent deficiencies. The defense will still be awful, so the O will have to score points to win games. I don't know much about Wash St, but the one time I watched them last year, they looked like a high school team. And not a very good one. But, Leach's record at Texas Tech is impressive, and it should be only a matter of time before they are at least competitive. As for this game, I can see AU getting out ahead and early, and then Wazzu getting back into it. 16 is too many points to lay, especially with a team that can't defend, so I lean Was St here. The over is also worth a look.

LSU (-4') vs TCU: Similar to Alabama, LSU tends to do very well in these games. Although LSU lost a ton of talent, they replace it with talent, just some inexperience. LSU has a million RBs, and aren't afraid to hit anyone (that's for you Twinkie). TCU is a fine team and will be in the thick of the Big12 race, but I like LSU here to win by 7-13 points

Georgia (-1') vs Clemson: UGA lost more than LSU on defense this offseason, and Clemson is the wrong team to break in the new guys against. UGA will certainly put up some points, but I don't see them slowing down Boyd. Murray has a poor record against ranked teams (4-9), and Richt likes to choke when he has high expectations. The more I think about it, the more I like Clemson in this game. Beating LSU last year was the best thing that could have happened to them confidence-wise, and I believe it will show up in front of what I can only assume will an out of control atmosphere. I'll call for Clemson to win something like 41-35

Not much to say about the other games. I keep hearing from a lot of people that UL-L is a great bet against Arkansas, but I'll have to look into that one a bit more before I offer an opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see UK get beat by WKU as Petrino starts his one year audition to get back to coaching at a BCS school. UT and Mizzou should coast, no interest in betting the games though.

Thoughts and comments welcome. Good luck to all who bet

Back