Good Reason to Make a Play on Pitt

• Thread starter Thread starter SoonerBS
  • Start date Start date
S

SoonerBS

I'll have a write-up on this game soon in my own thread, but I posted this article at SD back in April and it's important to remember:

Sunday, April 9, 2006
Updated: April 10, 11:35 AM ET
Change the theme of UVa's spring practice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jorge Milian
Special to ESPN.com

Virginia hasn't won an ACC title since sharing the championship with Florida State in 1995.
Don't look for the Cavaliers to break that drought in 2006.

Says who?

Says Virginia football coach Al Groh.

The 2006 season will signal big changes for Al Groh and the Cavaliers.
"We have a significant rebuilding job ahead of us," Groh said. "We've had some losses, some pretty huge losses … "

That would be an understatement. No ACC team has experienced more offseason turmoil -- an arrest, player dismissals and injuries -- than Virginia, which ended the 2005 season on a positive note by defeating Minnesota 34-31 in the Music City Bowl to finish 7-5.

As if the departures of several top seniors, including quarterback Marques Hagans and All-American offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, weren't enough to overcome, word came on the eve of spring practice that three starters on the Cavaliers' defense had been kicked off the team.

Linebacker Ahmad Brooks, safety and team captain Tony Franklin and defensive end Vince Redd were all banished for various infractions that Groh has refused to detail. Brooks and Franklin were three-year starters, while Redd made a career-high nine tackles in the Music City Bowl win.

"It's a privilege, not a right, to wear a Cavalier jersey," Groh said by way of explanation. "There are certain ways that we think are essential to put a team together. There's a right way to do that. You can't just chase talent for talent's sake. Now, it's time to move on and deal with the players and the issues that are going to be a part of next year's team."

Groh definitely has plenty of issues to deal with.

Start with an offense that was gutted by graduation. Gone are Hagans, who started every game and played virtually all the snaps at quarterback the past two seasons, tailback and all-time ACC touchdown leader Wali Lundy and three starting offensive linemen, including Ferguson.

Fifth-year senior Christian Olsen, who has thrown only 23 passes since transferring to Virginia from Notre Dame in 2003, has the first shot at replacing Hagans. He is being pushed by redshirt freshman Jameel Sewell, a left-hander.

"It's a privilege, not a right, to wear a Cavalier jersey. There are certain ways that we think are essential to put a team together. There's a right way to do that. You can't just chase talent for talent's sake. Now, it's time to move on and deal with the players and the issues that are going to be a part of next year's team."
Al Groh on the changes at UVa
"We'll start the spring with Chris Olsen; he'll be the first guy to go into the huddle," Groh said prior to the opening of spring practice on March 29.
"And that's the way it is and that's the way it's going to stay until performance by any of the quarterbacks determines otherwise.

"[Olsen] has certainly been around. He's got a good bond with his teammates, which is really where quarterbacking begins."

A bigger concern on offense will be along the offensive line, where replacements must be found for Ferguson, right tackle Brad Butler and center Brian Barthelmes. To make matters worse, starting left guard Branden Albert is sitting out spring practice to concentrate on academics while the highly touted Eugene Monroe, expected to replace Ferguson at left tackle, dislocated his left kneecap on April 1 and underwent surgery.

Defense figured to be Virginia's strength next season despite the losses of inside linebacker Kai Parham, a first-team All-ACC selection who left early to enter the NFL draft, and defensive end Brennan Schmidt, the conference record holder for career starts.

That was before the ax dropped on Brooks, Franklin and Redd.

Brooks had an injury-filled and unproductive season in 2005, but Virginia fans still remember his monster sophomore campaign when he was a finalist for the Butkus Award. Franklin started for the Cavaliers at cornerback and safety and would have added stability to a secondary that is shaky because of injuries to safety Nate Lyles and cornerback Chris Cook. Redd was expected to take over the vacancy created by Schmidt's departure.

"It's not a big issue for me," Groh said. "Those are just personnel decisions we just felt we had to make."

Groh may be faced with another one soon. Cornerback Mike Brown faces misdemeanor and felony charges as the result of a March 3 fight at a university fraternity house.

It's been that kind of offseason for Virginia. And that's just the players.

Groh was forced to overhaul his staff following the departures of offensive coordinator Ron Prince, defensive coordinator Al Golden and special teams coordinator Mark D'Onofrio. Groh brought in four new assistants and promoted his son, Mike, to offensive coordinator.

Of his new staff, Groh said, "It's a very challenging way … to break into their positions."

It may be a very challenging 2006 season all the way around for Virginia.

Jorge Milian covers the ACC for The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post.

I saw this earlier in the year and I don't know if Groh is being honest, realistic, or just managing young player's expectations.

Pitt has high expectations this year and I'm sure they are determined to put last year behind them.

So, on the face of it, they are teams going two different ways with respect to motivation. Probably more so now that 7 or 8 (?) UVa recruits failed to qualify academically and Groh has said that the Wahoos need to dumb down their standards.

My reluctance with Pitt is Wannstedt and their trip last year. Groh seems to produce better results than expected while Wannstedt produces worse results.

I like Pitt a lot this year Den...as I said in other post somewhere.

Very good read...thanks

I have just been waiting for a better line(prolly won't happen)..then I am gonna hit it.

rjurewitz said:
I saw this earlier in the year and I don't know if Groh is being honest, realistic, or just managing young player's expectations.

Pitt has high expectations this year and I'm sure they are determined to put last year behind them.

So, on the face of it, they are teams going two different ways with respect to motivation. Probably more so now that 7 or 8 (?) UVa recruits failed to qualify academically and Groh has said that the Wahoos need to dumb down their standards.

My reluctance with Pitt is Wannstedt and their trip last year. Groh seems to produce better results than expected while Wannstedt produces worse results.

Yes they are going two different directions.

Last year was not a good year to give a full judgement on Wanstedt's abilities as coach. He didn't step into the same situation as Weiss did. Weiss had talent, Wanstedt didn't. Plus, he changed the offensive scheme which screwed up his one area of talent he did have -- QB Palko. Still, it was his team and he had the right to implement a new scheme. That's why this season should be different. Palko understands the system better.

The articles I have been reading lately have quoted Palko as saying that the team chemistry was bad last year. There was an offense/defense rift going on. Supposedly, they got together in the Spring and cleared the air and everything has been "Kumbaya around the campfire."

tourist5.gif

I like how they got better as season went on. Good stuff Den about the rift last year. I will have more thoughts soon...trying to find my PITT notes in this pile here..lol

I capped the line at Pitt -7. Any disagreements with that assessment?

Pitt -3 (buying down the hook)?

rjurewitz said:
I capped the line at Pitt -7. Any disagreements with that assessment?

Pitt -3 (buying down the hook)?

The interesting thing about that, RJ, is that the "power ratings" site I like to look at that combines several systems together actually has Pitt at almost +2. I sure can't buy into that line though. http://tbeck.freeshell.org/fb/predncaa.html

I agree with your assement RJ...

Imma waiting to see if better price..if not..will buy down..soon

Pitt is a great play here... a team that was for the most part a complete joke last season. A 1st week soft line... combined with what people remember from last season... they should be -6.5. Anything less is great for a home team 1st week with some experience and another year under the same system...If one didn't follow CF closely you'd probably play VA ML after the pathetic start by Pitt last season... getting outplayed by the likes of teams like Ohio.

This season will be different and no reason to lose to this VA team in a bunch of turmoil.

This is one of my many fav's to play moderately week 1.

Also like...

BC - strong
BALL ST
NW
SC
WISC
WYO -strong
FLA - strong
HOU - strong
INDIANA

Dogs I like... BYU, Nevada, Utah.

Pitt Training Camp: Loaded secondary eyes big year

Thursday, August 10, 2006
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

blank.gif
blank.gif
Robin Rombach, Post-Gazette
Pitt defensive backs Reggie Carter, above, and Darrelle Revis are the starters at cornerback, for now.
Click photo for larger image.

Related article
golddot.gif
Pitt Football Notebook: Junko gets new assignment

Pitt has one starting cornerback job that needs to be filled. Both safety spots are up for grabs, too, at least in the mind of defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads,
That means three of the four starting spots in Pitt's secondary will be won in the next three weeks of training camp on the South Side.
Ordinarily, such uncertainty in one unit would be cause for great concern.
When it comes to the secondary, though, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, by the time the season starts and the depth chart is settled, the secondary more than likely will be one of the team's strengths.
That's because Rhoads, who also coaches the secondary, has a glut of experienced veterans and talented underclassmen from which to choose. That's why he's confident that the secondary will perform at a high level, regardless of who is in the starting lineup.
For now, the starters are Darrelle Revis and Reggie Carter at cornerback, Sam Bryant at strong safety and Mike Phillips at free safety. They have a combined 93 games and 44 starts. Revis is entering his third year as a starter, Carter and Bryant are fifth-year seniors, and Phillips is a redshirt junior, so experience and maturity are strengths.
Revis, an All-American candidate, is the only one with a lock on his position, and behind this quartet is a younger group of players, including junior corner Kennard Cox, junior safety Jemeel Brady and sophomore safety Eric Thatcher. All have game experience and will push for playing time.
Redshirt freshman safety Shane Murray, sophomore corner Kelvin Chandler and redshirt freshman safety Irvan Brown all played well in the spring, so Rhoads expects competition to be as intense as it has been since he joined the staff.
"At corner, Reggie was our second-best corner coming out of spring, but Cox has given me no reason to believe he might not be the starter based on his first two days of camp," Rhoads said.
"Both of those veterans have enough pride and enough physical ability to be the guy, but we have a number of underclassmen who are hungry and want to compete for that playing time.
"So, what I'm most pleased about is the competition we have because I think we could put a number of guys out there and I'd feel confident they'd not only survive, but thrive."
Rhoads believes the Panthers have high-quality depth at safety, too.
"The goal," said Rhoads, "is to find the best two guys [by the Sept. 2 opener vs. Virginia], and I think we have a number of viable candidates. I think with the combination of our leadership and experience and the fact that we have the physical talent to make plays, our secondary should be a solid part of the defense."
Rhoads believes whoever wins the open corner spot will have a high bar to meet in order to bring the position back to its level of last year when Josh Lay held it. Lay was an All-Big East performer, and he and Revis were big reasons the Panthers were ranked No. 2 in NCAA Division I in pass defense and No. 6 in pass-efficiency defense.
Carter, who is Revis' roommate, knows the pressure is on, but he said he has learned a lot from Revis and is motivated to not just match what Lay did last year but exceed it.
"I know teams are going to keep coming after the other corner opposite of our All-American, and why wouldn't they?" Carter said. "I'll be up to the challenge. I think Darrelle and Josh have both taught me a lot about how to play this position and also about how to prepare for each game.
"Every day, I have to prove myself, but that just keeps me fresh and focused."
With such a group of veterans, it would seem hard for freshmen to crack the lineup, but Rhoads expects a few to forge their way into the competition.
Aaron Berry has been impressive at cornerback, and safety Elijah Fields has had two good days of camp. One other freshman, Jovani Chappel, who enrolled a semester early and went through spring drills, is in the mix as well.
"Fields is very physically developed and very gifted athletically," Rhoads said. "I'm not only thrilled because of his physical tools, but because he likes to come up and strike you."
Revis said he is excited about the secondary's prospects and believes it has a chance to be better than last year. He said the young players are all athletic and the older ones have had a tremendous offseason, so there is no reason the secondary can't be one of the best in the Big East. "You watch some of these younger players and you can see their potential," Revis said. "I think the secondary is our strength. We have had a good offseason and we have had two good days. Guys aren't making mental mistakes and we've been eliminating the ones we have made. I think as a whole we are more athletic so we will only get better and better as the season goes on."

I havent read all of this thread but I have been on Pitt since Pinny came out with Lines. Basically they have a lot of incentive to come out and play well. UVA has a ton of holes to fill..

Glad to hear your also on abcs... this seems like a big CTG play and I don't think the public will be all over it.

That usually tends to be $$$

please tell me other than Palko what reasons someone has to be on Pitt here...or Virginia for that matter...

Big Al's suppose to be working on that . . . . . . . . . as soon as he finds his notes.
sgrin.gif

I think Wannstedt has a solid year with Pitt and gets off rolling at home. He's been happy with the team thus far I hear... and you bring in an experienced QB with 4/5 starters back on the OL... Always a good sign for a week 1 play. I think Pitt had a horrible year in terms of their talent (a few pieces from last year's team now suit up for the NFL) and at home they should take care of business vs. a relatively scattered VA team.

You can argue that last season they only lost to Ohio... as the only game they should have won...oh and possibly shouldn't have lost @ Rutgers.

Notre Dame turned into a powerhouse but we did not know that WEEK1. Nebraska ended up beating Michigan in a bowl... then over the last 6 they got whooped by WVA and Louisville. However, they blew out Cinnci, South Florida, Cuse, and Conn in 4 out of the last 6. ... All by margins from 14-24 points. I just like the home team here with the experienced QB and positive things being said from camp.

Spek....very good thoughts.

I totally agree with Spek and RJ that this line should be much higher.

Still can't finds my notes but ofhand here's what I like defensively.

They should have top 20 units as far as the Line and backfield go.

The Special teams will be in the top 25 percentile in the country.

Off topic for this game...but looking at their schedule..

They should be favored in 5 road games. Cincy, USF, Cuse, SFLA and Uconn.

The interesting games are at Home.

A month ago I did some quick projections on the lines for 5 home games for them.

-2 vs UVA
PK vs Mich St
-7.5 vs Toledo
+12 vs WVU
+6.5 vs UL

Obviously, especially those last two, are gonna be off a bit. I think we they take 3 of those for sure..and maybe a fourth.

inspekdah,

I'll give you that Palko's good, but I can't agree that anything associated with Wandstat is "solid". He along with NCSU O coordinator may be the worst coaches in college football, closely followed by Al Groh...I hate betting on a team with talent that doesn't have a coach...it's the most painful death of a loss that you can have...to me this line is right and the game's a coin flip...better ones out there to try and handicap...GL though bud...

I agree with you about dumba$$ dave for the most part... solid means perhaps a bowl berth... and off to a better start than a year ago... I think he makes horrible decisions...and he's only decent on defense... he's not even a good coach... but I think given the talent and experience on the team... the team should be alright... if you had a better coach there maybe they'd compete in the top 25 where they belong.

Back