Good Bye Allen Iverson

smh212

Awesomeitus Degenerate
I'm in my mid 30's. I watched Allen Iverson play football. I watched Allen Iverson win a football and basketball title in High School. I watched them haul Iverson to jail for something he didn't do. I watched him be pardoned. I watched coach Thompson save his life, and then save it again. I watched the Sixers draft him. I drove from Penn State to Philadelphia just to watch him play, when their were 11,000 people in the stands. I watched him cross over Mike, and then cross him over again.

I watched him drop 40 Cleveland in Cleveland, and was threatened by countless fans during the game because of Allen Iverson. I watched him start to become "me, myself, and Iverson". I convinced a comedy club a Penn State that since they had the NBA ticket, they should show Sixers games. I went there for 6 months till they would not let me come anymore, so I bought a satellite dish.

Then I watch him get arrested, and get arrested again. I watched the Sixers hire Larry Brown, and wondered how he would ever get Iverson to play "The right way." I watched as Larry realized this was impossible. I watched hope grow during the '98 season. I watched Larry draft Larry Hughes, and not Paul Pierce and I watched "the flight brothers". But then, ONLY AS LARRY BROWN can, he started building. First came Theo and Blue. Then came George, T-Bag, and Eric Snow. Then came a 28-22 season. I missed my graduation because they scheduled it the same time Allen was playing. I started driving from Penn State 3 times a week to watch him play. I went to Cleveland, Indiana, NY, NJ, Boston (fuck y'all). I watched what Larry built. He built a team around Allen Iverson. I watched the 1999-2000 season and thought, "oh my god" it's happening. I spurned internships, because my father in law had seats 2 rows from the court and I wanted to watch. I watch a 5'11 player play every single basketball game as if the next day he would never be able to play again. It didn't matter who we played, what the score was, it just mattered that he was on the court. In 2001 in I watched Allen refute Indiana in Rd1. Drop 50 on Toronto 2 times in one series, in Rd2. Let me repeat that: TWO TIME IN ONE SERIES, a series in which he was "hurt". That series went 7. I watch the next series against Milwaukee's "Big 3" go 7 a series in which, Bloody from an elbow to the mouth, Allen Iverson and Eric Snow, who played on a broken ankle swallow hard and finished off the Bucks. I watched the Sixers play Shaq, Kobe, and the Lakers. There was no way the Sixers could beat them, and there wasn't. I watched Allen will the Sixers in game 1, but the Lakers were too much.

From there I watched the inevitable. There was no way to repeat that season. It was one that comes around every 50 years or so. I watch Croce leave. I watched LB leave, and George, and, Tyrone, and Deke. I watch the organization try and surround Iverson with that "second option", but that was never possible, because Iverson just wasn't that kind of player. He was flawed, but aren't all great men?

Then on Dec 20, 2006 I stopped watching. I wouldn't watch Iverson in another uniform. I listened from a distance as he moved to Detroit, where they asked him to come off the bench. I knew that wouldn't work. He was called selfish, he was called a distraction. He may have been those things, but one of his mercurial talent, only knows one way of doing things, because it beats through his heart and courses through his veins. Right or wrong, you can't change that.There have been numerous off the court issues since, hell there always were, but for me those things didn't matter, because as a basketball fan, as a kid born and raised in Philadelphia, I care that you do what your were hired to do. Allen Iverson was hired to play basketball for the Philadelphia 76ers, not raise my children or be subject of judgement for what he did when not on the court. That's how I look at it. He raised this city, this city that has basketball running through it's veins and took us somewhere we hadn't been in a long time. I was 6 when the Sixers when the NBA title. To me, and my generation of friends, you wanna talk about Allen Iverson, it's gonna be what he did on the court. The other stuff is not my business.

When they raise his number into the rafters today, I'm going to cry, and I'm going to cry hard, because to me, while it's a celebration, it's also a burial. I will never get to see Allen Iverson play again, and while that has been the reality for some time now, this just solidifies it.I will leave you with one story, and then I don't think I will be able to talk about Allen for a long time:

My mother was from Germany. When I turned 20, she asked me what I wanted for my birthday. She was living in Virgina at the time, and was not a basketball fan to say the least. When she asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her that the Sixers would be playing the Hornets on the actual day of my birthday, and I wanted to take her to the game, because before she dies I wanted her to see Allen Iverson play basketball. We went to Charlotte and I spent a great day with my mom. We watched the Sixers lose 83-80 to Charlotte. After the game, my mother in her half English/ Half German thanked me. I said, "what for"? She said for taking her to see the single greatest athlete of her life. To paraphrase my mom, "He's so little, how he does he dart in and out of those big guys? All they do is hit him, and all he does is get up and do it again". Six months later when as she lay in a hospice Germany, with cancer having taken over her body, I said mom your going to die aren't you? (she would never tell me how bad things were), and she said, "Stephan would Allen Iverson die"?Tonight I'm going to say goodbye to Allen Iverson as a Sixer, but hopefully not as a man.

Good bye Allen, and thank you.

POSTED FEBRUARY 28, 2014
LeBron James made some waves earlier this month when he said that he will be on “Mount Rushmore” of all-time basketball greats “for sure” once he returns, but the Heat forward isn’t the only NBA MVP with a healthy respect for his own place in history.

Allen Iverson is set to have his No. 3 jersey retired by the Sixers on Saturday, and HBO’s “Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel” recently caught up with Iverson’s old coach, Larry Brown. The Hall of Fame coach manned the sidelines for the Sixers from 1997 until 2003, overseeing The Answer’s 2001 MVP season, Philadelphia’s 2001 Finals appearance, and Iverson’s infamous “practice” rant in 2002.

Now the coach at Southern Methodist University, Brown reflected on Iverson’s greatness and influence in an interview with Gumbel, passing on a vignette about Iverson telling Brown’s collegiate players that he was the best player of all time.

Larry Brown: “[Allen Iverson was the] greatest competitor of all time, toughest kid of all time, maybe the greatest athlete I’ve ever seen. I can’t walk in an airport, walk into a gym where the kids in the gym don’t come to me and ask me about Allen and tell me he’s their favorite player of all time. And everywhere I go in airports, people look at me and they, ‘You’re Allen’s coach.’”
Bryant Gumbel: “When’s the last time you talked to him?”
Larry Brown: “He was here about a month ago. He spoke to our team, Bryant, and it was the most unbelievable talk I’ve ever heard. Our kids were spellbound. And he was so open and honest with ‘em. He talked about the good things he did and the things he’d like to change, which weren’t a lot. But the one thing that stuck out in my mind, one of the kids said, ‘Who’s the best player to ever play?’ Who do you think he said?”
Bryant Gumbel: “Himself.”
Larry Brown: “Allen Iverson. And he said, ‘I’m not disrespecting Michael [Jordan] or Magic [Johnson] or Julius Erving or any of those guys.’ He said, ‘I couldn’t have done what I did at my size if I didn’t feel that way.’”
Back in October, Iverson formally retired from professional basketball, even though he hadn’t played in an NBA game since Feb. 2010. During the press conference announcing that decision, Iverson thanked Brown for his guidance and for helping him “mature into an NBA basketball player.”

“I always had the physical talent, I always had the physical ability, I could run with the best of them, I could jump with the best of them, but I just didn’t know the game,” Iverson said. “Earlier in my career, I didn’t take criticism the right way. But it was always constructive criticism coming from coach Brown, it was always love that he had for me and I had to mature and understand that he was there, trying to [help me] become the player I ultimately ended up being. Once I took hold to everything he had to share with me, as far as the mental aspect of the game, that’s when it took me from here to here [raises hand] and took me to MVP status.”

RELATED: Remembering Allen Iverson’s Career

Iverson holds career averages of 26.7 points, 6.2 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 2.2 steals. The No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 draft, Iverson was the 1997 Rookie of the Year, a seven-time All-NBA selection and an 11-time All-Star. The 6-foot, 165-pound guard ranks No. 21 on the league’s all-time scoring list — he is the shortest player to appear in the chart’s top 25 — and No. 12 on the NBA’s all-time steals list.

ESPN.com reported last fall that James declared that Iverson was, “pound-for-pound, probably the greatest player who ever played.”

Iverson, 38, will be eligible for induction into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2015.

TAGS: ALLEN IVERSON, PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

Great story man. I was a Sixer fan all through the AI years and loved him, no one competed like him on the court. I think I actually quit on the Sixers when he left, the organization lost me at that point.

I'm confused, were you watching his games or his practices? I kid, I kid....

No one can say that he didn't play with heart.

Thanks for sharing NbaFann88. This really struck out to me:

Larry Brown: “He was here about a month ago. He spoke to our team, Bryant, and it was the most unbelievable talk I’ve ever heard. Our kids were spellbound. And he was so open and honest with ‘em. He talked about the good things he did and the things he’d like to change, which weren’t a lot. But the one thing that stuck out in my mind, one of the kids said, ‘Who’s the best player to ever play?’ Who do you think he said?”
Bryant Gumbel: “Himself.”
Larry Brown: “Allen Iverson. And he said, ‘I’m not disrespecting Michael [Jordan] or Magic [Johnson] or Julius Erving or any of those guys.’ He said, ‘I couldn’t have done what I did at my size if I didn’t feel that way.’”
Back in October, Iverson formally retired from professional basketball, even though he hadn’t played in an NBA game since Feb. 2010. During the press conference announcing that decision, Iverson thanked Brown for his guidance and for helping him “mature into an NBA basketball player.”

“I always had the physical talent, I always had the physical ability, I could run with the best of them, I could jump with the best of them, but I just didn’t know the game,” Iverson said. “Earlier in my career, I didn’t take criticism the right way. But it was always constructive criticism coming from coach Brown, it was always love that he had for me and I had to mature and understand that he was there, trying to [help me] become the player I ultimately ended up being. Once I took hold to everything he had to share with me, as far as the mental aspect of the game, that’s when it took me from here to here [raises hand] and took me to MVP status.”

You still see all these kids wearing the #3. Ask them why and they always say, "Allen Iverson". I'm going to be fortunate enough to be sitting really close to the court tonight. I'm going ask Beal that question, and ask John Wall if he's paying attention.

It's gonna be hard tonight.

Will be there this evening as well....my favorite athlete of all time, saw him play at the Wells Fargo about 100 times with my pop....made bball my favorite sport....

By the way I have chills....unbelievable post and I indenting with a lot of that.....I became a nuggets fan for like five minutes....but I moved on....thanks for making a post I could never make and making it so damn well.....

:shake:

Thanks for posting this, AI is one of my 3 favorite players of all time. Very jealous of anyone going tonight, it should be pretty special.

Nice words, bro.

AI was my fave, no doubt. Dude punched above his weight and that's what it's about in Philly.

He got hated on for his gangsta image a bit too much but he had heart and played his ass off, dude won me a ton of bank back in '01 (my early betting days) when he went HAM in the 4th quarter of the All Star Game. Over-invested on the East, they were trailing 95-74 with 9 or 8 to go then AI went nuts - the East ended up winning 111-110. Have got a signed Iverson jersey from that day hanging proudly in my 'gambling command center'.

The crossover, pull up j then subsequent 'step over' on Lue in Game 1 vs the Lakers among many other 'AI does it' plays that will be etched in my mind forever.

Wish I could be there tonight, very special moment.

iverson3.gif

what was mind boggling how people thought AI's sleeves were just for show…the dude played with a ton of injuries and still schooled a lot of people.

Nice tribute to the answer last night

[video=youtube;dX7r_c8hfFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX7r_c8hfFU[/video]

I'm shitfaced in reno, nv right now but I must say this was one of the best posts I've ever read on ctg..................................

Awesome Post. Growing up, I had the Black, White, and Red AI jerseys. Dude played like he was 10ft tall.

Jesus Christ dude was so overrated its not even funny. He doesn't belong in the same sentence as Stockton or Isiah Thomas, and to call him the greatest scorer ever is downright offensive. Just because u take every shot doesn't mean your a great scorer.

Sure as hell ain't in the paragraph as Jordan.

Lmao wow AK. That's really harsh. Overrated? I don't think so

nobody is saying he's the greatest scorer ever. Pound for pound meaning he was exceptional for his size.... How are you not going to take his size into account?

dont get the greatness of the story...

Iverson was a great player, but not likes of Jordan or DrJ or even Kobe, was a class under them like Grant Hill, Karl Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Wade IMO.

thanks for sharing, smh. awesome to read.

i think what smh was trying to get at was that AI wasn't an all time great by any means (by that i mean on the level of mj, kobe, etc), but the importance of him is what he meant to the city of philly. if you ain't from there, you probably won't understand.

Went to a party and ran into him when he was at Gtown and spent some time hanging with him that night. A hell of a baller and a genuine guy to the core.

Damn, thanks for posting that video. Loved that dude, for all the stuff that happened with him off the court it never mattered because he always showed up on the court. Pound-for-pound one of the toughest MFers I've ever seen in the sport

quick question: why does nbafan and jgalt have the same avatar lol. i keep getting you two fuckers mixed up.

Ya know what we didn't see AI do ? Improve because he was too damn lazy to work on his game. Entered the league a poor outside shooter and in his prime didn't improve one bit, despite not having flawed mechanics like a Jason Kidd who worked on his shot so that by the end off his career Kidd was knocking down 3s at 40%.

Only reason AI gets so much hype is because Philly is a big east coast city that didn't have shit besides him sports wise for 20 years. If AI had played for Portland or Orlando nobody would give a damn.

Pound for pound greatest player ever my ass

It's fun to believe in east coast bias or whatever but you sound silly, fucker took a beating that would have made most guys quit playing after a couple years

AI had zero business winning MVP the year he won it. Shaq and Duncan were so significantly better than him it's a disgrace that one of them was robbed of the award.

Az Kid,

Why are you so mad?

I hope one day you find someone that inspires you in ways you didn't think was possible. That's what Allen Iverson did for me. Growing up in Philadelphia, loyalty is a kinda of a big thing. My best friends are the same dudes I was friends with when I was 7 years old. Same with my pop and his boys. Growing up I just assumed that's how life was supposed to be. Allen Iverson represented loyalty to me. From the tattoo on his neck of his best friend RA, who was gunned down to the asking for "his coach" when he won the MVP in the all-star game. Iverson was, and is a real dude. He didn't always make the best decisions, but he was real. His practice rant was a great example of that. Was it the best way to handle the situation? No, but that was Allen.

:shake:

Back