Golf '23 Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I've been meaning to get this going.

Who we looking at early on?

Sleepers?

Majors predictions.

Let's keep this PGA for now as Liv doesn't fire up for awhile still.

Feels like this could be a big year Rory. He was kind of on cruise control for a few years until he became the face of the PGA Tour in the conflict with LIV. Now he seems ultra motivated. Also feels like Finau might finally go on a run

I'd like to see Davis Riley take the next step, as well as Zalatoris start rattling off wins. His health will always be a concern. Matt Fitzpatrick looks like he will continue to be a factor in the majors. Also interested in Theegala. He hung around all season last year, does he get a win this year?

US Open at LA CC should be fun

US Open at LA CC should be fun
Really interesting course setup in LA. They've turned the 290 yard 7th hole into a par 3, so the course will be par 70 with 3 par fives and 5 par threes. The front nine finishes with a drive able par 4 in the 6th, a 290 yard par 3, a very gettable 555 yard par 5 eighth, and a mid-lengrh 180 yard par 3 at the ninth. Should see a lot of scoreboard movement going on.

Back nine has the same par 35 but is 350 yards longer! It finishes like a brute with three straight 500 yard par 4s.

Two guys I’ll be watching closely are Viktor Hovland and Tom Kim. Hovland is going to have a breakthrough season in the majors in my opinion. He’s vastly improved around the greens, which was by far the weakest part of his game. Kim was very impressive his rookie season and I am curious to see if he can follow it up in ‘23.

I know BAR asked to leave LIV out of this conversation. I’d just like to say I’m very curious to see how they do in the majors this year. I think most of the guys will not work on their games like they did previously and I’m expecting them to struggle overall.

Looking forward to this season and hearing various points of view from the CTG crew! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season…

Two guys I’ll be watching closely are Viktor Hovland and Tom Kim. Hovland is going to have a breakthrough season in the majors in my opinion. He’s vastly improved around the greens, which was by far the weakest part of his game. Kim was very impressive his rookie season and I am curious to see if he can follow it up in ‘23.

I know BAR asked to leave LIV out of this conversation. I’d just like to say I’m very curious to see how they do in the majors this year. I think most of the guys will not work on their games like they did previously and I’m expecting them to struggle overall.

Looking forward to this season and hearing various points of view from the CTG crew! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season…
Interesting point regarding majors and LIV. Good fodder. There are a few guys (Sergio, cough) that I definitely see being good fades at say the Masters.

Interesting point regarding majors and LIV. Good fodder. There are a few guys (Sergio, cough) that I definitely see being good fades at say the Masters.
Have no clue how Phil will show up at the Masters considering he was the blistering face of LIV to start out with. He seems to thrive or collapse, no in between, under pressure. But that was always as a beloved people's champion. It won't be that way now, if he's not comfortable with it you know it gets ugly. If he has the make up to just say fuck em, he could be dialed in. Of course I lean to the former.

Vik and Will is as simple as putting/ short game... Right?
I think Zalatoris is there, less confident on Hovland. He's only legitimately contended in one major (British last year) and shot the highest round of anyone in the last several groups.

Interesting point on the LIV guys not working as hard. I think it's certainly the case for the older guys (Sergio, Westwood, Poulter, etc), but I'm not looking to fade Cam Smith or DJ at Augusta

Every older “broken” down guy will be on my list. Not necessarily auto fades, but I definitely won’t be betting on them. Big Beefy, Bubba, Brooksie will be on the short list…

I’m old and forget things so I’m posting it. I will also be curious how the LIV guys do in the latter part of tourneys. Assuming they make the cut. Do they grind and put forth effort in the 4th round while staring down the barrel of a T-48th for chump change?

Every older “broken” down guy will be on my list. Not necessarily auto fades, but I definitely won’t be betting on them. Big Beefy, Bubba, Brooksie will be on the short list…

I’m old and forget things so I’m posting it. I will also be curious how the LIV guys do in the latter part of tourneys. Assuming they make the cut. Do they grind and put forth effort in the 4th round while staring down the barrel of a T-48th for chump change?
I don't think mailing it in while looking at a mediocre finish is unique to the LIV guys. Tiger Is the only golfer in a generation that always grinded no matter where he was in the standings.

I have to assume the guys that are playing in the Masters on temporary exemptions will aim to play their best so they can be in the moving forward. Also wonder how many of those guys are going to try to qualify for the US/British Opens through local qualifying?

Back to the original post, I also like Morikawa to hang around at majors. Any time the greens get harder (like in majors), it really gives the great ball strikers an advantage. Though I think he may be like Rory a bit and I will probably fade him when conditions are windy. But any time there's a tournament where it turns into a ball striking contest, I'll be looking to back him, JT, Rory, and Zalatoris

It's a fascinating topic to discuss and I'm so big at it, because it's something to think about. After all, I have only recently started to get into golf. At the moment my favorite is Victor Hovland and I will follow his game closely. I am sure that he will prove himself well and I did not make a wrong choice. However, If I made a wrong choice, I wouldn't get upset, because I make Sports Predictions predictions now and it is absolutely free. I am sure I will become much better at it in the near future and my predictions will always be correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was able to jump on Rahm 25 and 33-1 once he stuck it late round 3 and it was clear he’d make the cut.

Who do I hedge with? Feel like tossing Sam even though I like him and maybe a little Tony who is dialed in? Maybe some Im?

Was able to jump on Rahm 25 and 33-1 once he stuck it late round 3 and it was clear he’d make the cut.

Who do I hedge with? Feel like tossing Sam even though I like him and maybe a little Tony who is dialed in? Maybe some Im?

Nice. After Round 1 I got Rahm at 20-1, Homa at 22-2, Morikawa at 14-1, and Zalatoris at 18-1. Zalatoris missed the cut but Rahm is 2 back and both Homa and Colin are 4 back heading into final round.

Thinking about taking Sam (and possibly Tony) , but will probably just let it ride with 3 guys in the top 5 right now and 18 to play. Hoping that Sam or Tony drop a shot early so I can get a better number on them, of course.

Nice. After Round 1 I got Rahm at 20-1, Homa at 22-2, Morikawa at 14-1, and Zalatoris at 18-1. Zalatoris missed the cut but Rahm is 2 back and both Homa and Colin are 4 back heading into final round.

Thinking about taking Sam (and possibly Tony) , but will probably just let it ride with 3 guys in the top 5 right now and 18 to play. Hoping that Sam or Tony drop a shot early so I can get a better number on them, of course.

Sorry meant late round 2 with Rambo. The days have me off a bit with it ending tomorrow. Think I’ll add some Tony. Let’s get it!

Either way, you got a much better number on Rahm than I did.

MGM was late once he was close on 14* and then likely to make the cut. After he drained the eagle the line was back to 12-1400. He’s locked in. Should beat Sam tomorrow but a lot of talent a few strokes behind.

Ended up with 2u Tony +700, 1u Mori 16, 1u Max 18, and 1u Im 18.

Still really hoping Rahm takes home his third in a row going into the WM back in his “home” state.

Ended up with 2u Tony +700, 1u Mori 16, 1u Max 18, and 1u Im 18.

Still really hoping Rahm takes home his third in a row going into the WM back in his “home” state.
Next week is Pebble now assuming he plays it

Phx Open is going to be loaded with the designated status this year. $3.6 million to the winner, be curious which top 20 guys won't be there really.

Just not sure who skips Pebble other than the ProAm there means more 6-7 hour rounds

Next week is Pebble now assuming he plays it

Phx Open is going to be loaded with the designated status this year. $3.6 million to the winner, be curious which top 20 guys won't be there really.

Just not sure who skips Pebble other than the ProAm there means more 6-7 hour rounds

Forgot about Pebble

Actually not a positive for Pebble when Fitz, Hovland and Spieth are the headliners after the deadline yesterday

Pulling for Max and Collin, would pull for JDay but back 3 when leader makes the turn isn't ideal

A lot of them in California. Perhaps the Presidents Cup experience changes his mindset. Definitely one of the strangest stats in sports.Him and Cantlay..

Patrick has 1 top 10 in his last 14 majors, has 7 tour wins during that time.

A lot of them in California. Perhaps the Presidents Cup experience changes his mindset. Definitely one of the strangest stats in sports.Him and Cantlay..

Just confirms that grass owns life

Been trying to dispute it for years but I get it now

Max won twice out your way, right?

Max one of my favorites.

I was curious with the baby and some swing changes how he'd come out this year. This is impressive this week.
He seems like he's in that "I'm gonna destroy you but have a nice day bruh" mode

I know he won Wells, not sure if there was another. His swing is so simple yet so powerful. What an unreal career. He was one of my favorites coming out of Cal and was awful for a while.

I know he won Wells, not sure if there was another. His swing is so simple yet so powerful. What an unreal career. He was one of my favorites coming out of Cal and was awful for a while.
Yeah, he's won Wells 2019 and 2022.

Crazy he's 32... As you said, he wasn't good for a bit.

So max wasnt on the netflix trailer

Hes always had the personality and now hes getting up there as a player to match

Max has been pretty open with his struggles with confidence once he got on the tour. Very relatable and likable guy that is easy to cheer for. Certainly looks to have solved most of those issues, just has to take the next step and compete in majors. I think he may have course record at LA CC North course. I know he won there in college.

Cantlay's only top 10 is the Tiger Masters in '19 right? If I remember correctly, he barely made cut and then played his next 30-32 holes on some crazy heater to take the lead on Sunday and then fell off.

Definitely interesting how some guys seem to have it in the majors and nowhere else (Angel Cabrera, Oosthuizen, Koepka to an extent), and guys like Cantlay, Homa, and Hovland are kind of no-shows after crushing the regular events

Back