Golden State vs. Miami Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Top NBA Parlay Picks for March 23

Golden State Warriors vs. Miami Heat
Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 7:30 p.m. ET at FTX Arena in Miami

Clearing Up Miami's Injuries

For tonight's game, both Jimmy Butler and Tyler Herro are listed as questionable.

Butler's official injury designation is unsurprising considering that it was a very real possibility that he would not play in Monday's game in Philadelphia.

However, Butler did play and he looked just fine, scoring 27 points in that game.

Herro, too, played in that game. I expect both guys to be just fine for tonight.

Missing Steph Curry

There is no such hope or consolation, though, for Golden State because the Warriors miss superstar Steph Curry to a long-term injury.

Curry was easily the team's top shot-taker and scorer. Known, of course, for his three-point efficiency, he absorbed extra attention from defense.

To be exact, he ranked 12th in the NBA in averaging 25.5 points per game.

A less talked about aspect of his game is his distribution. His on-ball creativity helped him accomplish just over six assists per game.

Without him, the Warriors are without an offensive superstar.

Klay Thompson isn't as skilled on the ball as Curry.

The so-called "splash brother" of Curry was not the same even when Curry was on the floor demanding as much attention from defenses as he normally does.

This year, Thompson's three-point efficiency is 5.5 percent below his career average three-point percentage.

Without Curry and without Thompson being in good form, a Warrior team that still attempts the third-most threes per game is not so dangerous from the area where it wants to be the most dangerous.

Please Step Up

Of course, the Curry-less Warriors will need some magic from Thompson.

But the Warriors are also relying heavily on 22-year-old youngster Jordan Poole.

Poole's shot attempt frequency increased dramatically after Curry's injury.

The former Michigan Wolverine has been known primarily for his three-point shooting.

But his on-ball creativity is also necessary as Curry sits out. While Draymond Green has created somewhat of a reputation for having this skill set, he simply cannot score points which is what the Warriors badly need.

Thompson does not fill this roll. So the former Wolverine youngster is being asked not only to take a lot more shots but to use his wicked handle to create offense and his off-ball movement to lose his man so that he may operate undeterred by the defense.

Not Enough

The fact is, though, that for all of Poole's merits he is not Curry.

Without that single and singular star demanding so much of the defense's attention, the Warrior offense has become somewhat emaciated.

After Curry played just 13 minutes against Boston, the Warriors mustered 88 points in that game.

Without him going forward, they lost to San Antonio before scoring 90 points in an embarrassing loss to Orlando.

This team lacks scoring talent such that top-level defenses like Boston's but even also low-level ones like Orlando's are stymying it.

Heat Offense vs. Warrior Defense

Golden State's offensive issues create an abundantly high margin of error for the Heat offense.

While, of course, the Warriors' offense suggests an "under" play, there is enough to like from the Heat offense.

One thing that Golden State's defense struggles with is its perimeter coverage.

The Warriors allow open three-point attempts with the second-highest frequency.

Tyler Herro has a great chance, therefore, to bounce back tonight, which is something that he normally does.

Miami is the most efficient team from beyond the arc, making it an ideal team to exploit Golden State's perimeter defense.

As long as especially Butler is around to challenge the Warriors inside, Miami's balanced attack will allow it to cover the spread.

The Verdict

Golden State's emaciated offense will make it easy for Miami with its superior perimeter attack to score enough points for the cover.

Still, the combination of Curry's absence and Miami's elite defensive status will help ensure a lower-scoring game.

Best Bet: Parlay Heat -7 at -110 & Under 214.5 at -110 at +264 odds with Bovada

Sorry I have my thesis due tomorrow so I've been working really quickly on these NBA articles. I don't think I'll bet this one unless someone who follows NBA confirms

I feel comfortable saying Utah will catch them w/o Steph, not so sure about Dallas but it really goes to show why Steph is easily the MVP of the league every time he plays.

Back