Going for it on 4th down?

Its amazing how long it took a guy who actually have balls like this in the NFL. all of the statistics for years showed that coaches didn't go for it enough, but there was never a coach who was willing to risk the heat if it didn't work. Its kind of like when Joe Maddon decided to start messing around with unique shifts and unconventional lineups. I love it, not just bc its my team, I loved when Maddon did it too...nothing I hate more than coaches who refuse to be progressive and stick to the "way it was always done"

Its amazing how long it took a guy who actually have balls like this in the NFL. all of the statistics for years showed that coaches didn't go for it enough, but there was never a coach who was willing to risk the heat if it didn't work. Its kind of like when Joe Maddon decided to start messing around with unique shifts and unconventional lineups. I love it, not just bc its my team, I loved when Maddon did it too...nothing I hate more than coaches who refuse to be progressive and stick to the "way it was always done"

This is more proof that 90% of coaches in the NFL are complete idiots who have zero feel for the intangibles of the game. If you looked at percentages, what are the odds that your team could convert a 4th and inches (regardless of the spot on the field)...maybe 95%? If you analyzed the formations and which worked best you could clearly even up that percentage. NFL coaches (for the most part) coach NOT TO LOSE, INSTEAD OF TO WIN.

I thought that game Pederson coached in the SB was one of the 2 greatest coached games I have ever seen. Parcells in SB25 vs Buffalo's vaunted offense holding the ball 40 plus minutes is the only game I'd put up against it. Both guys had backup QB's and gameplanned their opponents to perfection knowing what their team's weaknesses were and what their team's strengths were to take advantage of the situation.

I will NEVER kill a coach for coaching to win a game, as opposed to coaching not to lose one. But most crackhead idiot head coaches like my team's in Todd Bowles who last year in Pittsburgh 4th quarter 7:30 left down 11 points at midfield on 4th and 8 decided to punt in a 21-10 game...there is no hope.

A great NFL head coach is an ENORMOUS advantage. Football is the sport where coaching is more important by a long, long way as opposed to the other sports.

Pederson's SB gameplan was fearless or any criticism, brilliant in gameplanning and gutsy in the playcalling pulling out a trick play pass on 4th goal...He outcoached the greatest coach in the history of the league and Philly deserved to win that Super Bowl.

great post, couldn't agree more. playing to lose is awful. rather go down trying than never get the ball back.

look no further than the AFC Championship. The Jags 100% should have won that game. Sure there were some questionable calls (theres an entire thread here about that so we don't need to go into detail lol) but overall they lost because at halftime they got freaked out that they were so close to making the super bowl and played the entire second half with poop in their diaper

great post, couldn't agree more. playing to lose is awful. rather go down trying than never get the ball back.

look no further than the AFC Championship. The Jags 100% should have won that game. Sure there were some questionable calls (theres an entire thread here about that so we don't need to go into detail lol) but overall they lost because at halftime they got freaked out that they were so close to making the super bowl and played the entire second half with poop in their diaper

Was just saying this in the bortles contract thread. They still don't really know what they have cause they coached scared and didn't allow him the chance to potentially win (or lose) that game.

Coaching scared was Oklahoma against Georgia. Jags ran out of creativity...stop pretending like the Jags are the Falcons, the Falcons should have passed more in that superbowl with the lead because they are a passing team. Jags like to run run run. Decision to run at the end of the first half doesn't disappoint me at all, better go into half with the lead then give Brady another chance to get some more bullshit PI calls. Overall Jags lost because the refs didn't want a small-market team.

Teams like Detroit Vikings jets who never seem to win Super Bowls might be better off as a rule just going for it on all 4 th downs.

These teams don’t win titles so why not just use all 4 downs on offense and see if you can score more points or control the ball more.

I think teams should start going for it on most convertible fourth downs.

Pederson already basically goes for it on 4 th down when eagles crosses midfield. So having a team going for it on more fourth downs imo could have more positive impacts overall

Coaching scared was Oklahoma against Georgia. Jags ran out of creativity...stop pretending like the Jags are the Falcons, the Falcons should have passed more in that superbowl with the lead because they are a passing team. Jags like to run run run. Decision to run at the end of the first half doesn't disappoint me at all, better go into half with the lead then give Brady another chance to get some more bullshit PI calls. Overall Jags lost because the refs didn't want a small-market team.

Lmfao. You lose any credability to speak on the subject when you blame the refs like a bitter fanboy. When you playing the best qb possibly ever you don't run, run, run, and take a knee if you have any interest in winning. Which of course they were obviously content keeping it close and hoping to luck out instead of trying to win it. Guess when their fan base is willing to blame refs instead of the real problem it doesn't matter, seems like everyone involved got what they deserved. Jags deserved to lose by being gutless and their fans deserve a losing product if they blaming refs for their coaches incompetence. Pats made winning plays when it mattered while jags looked to punt.

Back