Going against my boys on my birthday (picks inside)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
This is a slightly modified preview to the one I wrote in BAR's thread, so if you haven't read that one, check this one out.
(will update my record after today)

Pistons-Spurs

One of the most anticipated clashes of the month.
I'm a huge Spurs fan, and a long time one now, but I just can't resist fading them at this spot. Even though you never know with the Spurs since they do have the talent and the perseverance they are just in a funk right now and it's no wonder, tell me when was the last time we could say "the Spurs are going through a bad period"? Dating a few years back even, the Spurs have become a sports phenomenon playing classy ball even when all other teams would fold.

But those days are fading now, they need to trade older players and start focusing on the future. TD isn't getting any younger and they (namely Buford and Holt) will regret it some day if they don't start fishing for younger players to rely on.
I've watched a lot of Spurs games this season and for example the last two Florida games can tell the whole story. One being Spurs vs teams they should definitely beat, teams they would own playing at their best let alone being depleted as the Magic were. They were up by 10 at HT but allowed not only a backdoor cover but completely fell apart, missing easy layups and making inexplicable defensive plays. We all know how intelligent players Tim and Manu are. These guys are just the best if you ask me. But they're in a funk. Look at the game against Miami, mid 3rd: TIED GAME. Late 3rd, Spurs -5, mid 4th: Spurs -10.

Spurs aren't closing games any more, and that's the only thing that counts. Look at this and you'll see it's no coincidence:

@ Miami (L 85-100) (halftime: 46:45 Spurs)
@ Orlando (L 104-106) (halftime: 58:49 Spurs)
@ Washington : A full blowout (W 110:83), no 2nd half letdown pattern emerging here.
@ Phoenix (L 87-103) (halftime: 53:50 Spurs)
@ Utah (L 93-97) (halftime: 47:45 Spurs)

The reverse situation appears in the Staples match against the Lakers (last night's game against the depleted Nets is out of this pattern), where the Spurs climbed back after being down. But mostly this season the previously mentioned trend has occurred more regularly. Spurs beat the Nets easily last night, as NJ were missing Kidd (as well as previously sidelined Jefferson and Krstic), they just couldn't cope with San Antonio. But another letdown spot for SA seems to be looming shortly afterwards.

Pistons' backcourt is the least Tony and Manu need to be facing now, plus Barry and Bowen haven't been as dependable shooters as before, even when they're left alone obviously, Oberto can't produce but is only a presence in the inside, also he seems a bit too light weight to cope with some of the league's big men. He is rather mobile but that's what Duncan is for, we need a heavier center, who can guard the paint and not be pushed out of it. Elson knocked down a few distance shots in Miami, but he's not the presence they need either. It all comes down to Tony driving to the basket or Manu trying to pull one of his wonder assists finding Tim in the inside who posts up and nails hook shots or layups. But lately, that hasn't worked.

Spurs' rodeo trip won't have a happy ending I think, I guess when Manu spoke earlier this month about the necessity of stepping up and that's either that or burst... well this time it's the latter. Spurs will probably have their heads with their families (provided they fall behind early in the game), this is their last game before the break and these guys need rest and home cooked meals more than anything else. It would be a different picture had the Spurs really stepped up and proven themselves on this trip but they've been quite mediocre and have shown a lot of weaknesses Pistons should hopefully exploit tonight.
These Pistons are just too good right now and the Spurs are getting zero support from the bench. Zero real support at least. Finley and Barry are all about the jumpshot now, and that's not enough for competing at this level. Bowen is getting old, and I mean really old. He's fouling more than before and Robert Horry should really retire. Whenever I see this guy he's trash talking to the ref or complaining about something, mr clutch isn't mr clutch anymore. Beno Udrih hasn't excelled to a player Spurs expected him to, he was supposed to average 15 PPG by now and dishing out some assists to lay the pressure off Tony for at least 15 mins per game, and in reality he's nothing close to that.

The Pistons should take this one hands down and Spurs should use the All star break to regroup and try to bounce back from a rough start of 2007.

Pistons (-3,5) (1.92 @ Expekt) 7 units

adding more picks shortly.

:cheers:

Riding with you two on this one tonight.

Good luck guys, know u both have more cash on it then I do.

thanks BAR, not my b-day yet still have to wait a couple of hours though :D.

Hahah wasn't my intention to outdo you it's just I posted the preview on another board (European one :D), they would probably ask who Big Al Reno was :D :D
And I added some things I remembered today.

Anyways, hoping your boys will bring us the dough tonight. Good luck to us tonight.

:shake: :cheers:

thanks BAR, not my b-day yet still have to wait a couple of hours though :D.

Hahah wasn't my intention to outdo you it's just I posted the preview on another board (European one :D), they would probably ask who Big Al Reno was :D :D
And I added some things I remembered today.

Anyways, hoping your boys will bring us the dough tonight. Good luck to us tonight.

:shake: :cheers:

LOL..the write-up is awesome..I was just playing...

Your write-ups are top-5 of any poster I have ever met...and consistent.

thanks man, that's probably the best a European can do I guess :D

The only thing to do now is to bounce back from a lousy streak and get back to what I was doing all these years :D

:shake:

Raptors (-9,5) (1.99 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

Not a big fan of huge spreads but the Raptors are flying and these Nets are severely undermanned. Like missing Krstić and Jefferson wasn't enough, they're without Jason Kidd now, some are even speculating about his possible trade within the next few days.
The Raptors controlled the game in Chicago last night, nailed the W in a dramatic finish after Bulls kept climbing back for the whole 4th, and are looking to end their run on a high note before the All Star break.

Vince Carter playing against his former team would usually mean a lot of hype and a tight match until the last minutes, but not this time.Not only are the Nets far more vulnerable playing a b2b game (have in mind on a home-road switch), but Carter himself usually doesn't provide his A game with zero days rest.
Carter can drop 50, I still don't see his team covering this one. Toronto are playing against direct divisional opposition, they're making a statement tonight and are super confident after hanging on to the W in Windy City. The Raptors are 8-2 in last 10 and 18-7 at home.
5 units is the call.

On the Pistons, but looking at the Nets in this spot. I agree that the Raptors are flying high and Nets are looking bad, but I think that has led to an inflated number....GL

Quite possibly, but the only way I see Nets covering here is Raptors logging off in the 4th after a huge lead. But if they keep pouring I don't think the Nets can run with them, missing all these guys from the lineup.

good luck :shake: :cheers:

Happy Birthday Bro! What you up to 24 now!

Think I am laying off the Pistons till halftime. Played 1st H SA cause yu know its usually a solid start then fade away..really could see DET winning by only 1,2 or 3 here . GL

Thanks SN, and nah, not 24 yet, only 23 :D. Hopefully MJ's number will bring me some good tonight hahahaa (and this year), last year was great as well can't complain though ;).

ANd that's a very good point I wrote about, Spurs strong until HT, and I'll probably back them (small stakes) until HT, the large play remains DET ATS.

good luck tonight :shake: :cheers:

El Mago :shake: good luck man :cheers:

You have me reversed (32)...the key to a great Bday if you have a serious girlfriend is..... Simply make a big deal about her bday( every girl loves that day) do whatever she wants so when its your turn she cant say NO....to anything.....better yet she want want to say NO.....

You have me reversed (32)...the key to a great Bday if you have a serious girlfriend is..... Simply make a big deal about her bday( every girl loves that day) do whatever she wants so when its your turn she cant say NO....to anything.....better yet she want want to say NO.....

well actually she doesn't say no... :D sometimes I'm the one who has to say no haahah :smiley_acbe:

:D cheers SN :cheers:

Adding

Sonics ML (1.80 @ Pinnacle) 4 units

Suns still missing Nash and very likely Diaw, without the two they're just limited and are missing men for their scoring bonanza, the Sonics picking up some chemistry with Lewis' return, I think they take this one. Just can't trust Banks or Barbosa on the point and these Suns are all about rock distribution.

:09.0 TOR - A. Bargnani made a 25-foot three-pointer from the right wing. Assist: A. Parker

we need to send bargnani a present, it was 117-109 until that 3 :bow:

Looks like b-day picks will go well after all. After losing the main bet (going against my team, shouldn't have done that on my birthday :D j/k :D), solid upswing since then, cashing in with the Raptors(lucky:D), Senators(NHL), and now Sonics and the Hawks are looking good.

COME ON HAWKS

nice little comeback after pistons just folded tonight
and bargnani hitting that last 3.. that was awesome.. got to say go EL MAGO

Back