Give Me Your Top 5 RBs of ALL Time In Order

1. Barry
2. OJ
3. Jim Brown
4. Dickerson
5. Emmitt

LT, Bo, Sayers Faulk and C-Mart all right there just below 5.

In my lifetime

Barry
Emmitt
LT
C-Mart
Faulk

1. Barry
2. OJ
3. Jim Brown
4. Dickerson
5. Emmitt

LT, Bo, Sayers Faulk and C-Mart all right there just below 5.

In my lifetime

Barry
Emmitt
LT
C-Mart
Faulk
How did I leave the juice off?

A couple I liked watching that aren’t list worthy were Okoye and Earl Campbell. Both punished tacklers, unless your name was Steve Atwater.

These lists are great. All worthy players.

Going in the other direction and Bringing out the homer in me per the usual, (and I don’t think he belongs here or in any HOF chatter) but of all the players I’ve seen up close, I’d put Jamaal Charles up against anyone I’ve ever seen. Played on horrible teams and was made of glass. But was as pure of a runner since Barry to me

Terrell Davis had Major All-time potential if healthier as well

If you make a list, and even include “honorable mentions,” and Walter Payton doesn’t appear anywhere, your opinion is invalidated and your post should be deleted. What in the actual fuck?

Jim Brown is the greatest running back in the history of the NFL. He played 9 seasons. He led the league in rushing 8 of those 9 seasons.

He not only may be the greatest football player to ever live, he is in the voting for the greatest ATHLETE to ever live. Brown to this day by those who were into the sport (and it is HUGE in the NORTHEAST), say that Brown may be the greatest Lacrosse player ever also. Dude was a men among boys.

Lol. But the 2 people I was referring to had Jim Brown on their lists.

Ah....was just making a general statement for all posts in the thread, but gotcha....makes sense. I just hate how Jim Brown gets forgotten so often...guy was amazing.

If you make a list, and even include “honorable mentions,” and Walter Payton doesn’t appear anywhere, your opinion is invalidated and your post should be deleted. What in the actual fuck?
I totally forgot about him.

He bumps Dickerson down for me. I'll keep Emmitt at 5 and ED loses 2 spots.

"The Nigerian Nightmare"..,have an earl the pearl throwback never saw him play but dude was a beast on YouTube

I started watching in the early 70s, so I'll leave Jim Brown and Gale Sayers off the list. The RBs I most enjoyed watching:

Herschel Walker
Earl Campbell
OJ Simpson
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders

The reason I started this was because I recently watched Gale highlights recently

Wow. It looked unfair. I admittedly didn’t know enough about him.

Will narrow to the best i actually watched (never saw jim brown) and by who i would want for one game. List would be different if it was about career numbers

1. Earl Campbell
2. Walter Payton
3. Barry Sanders
4. Hello Twitter World
5. Emmitt Smith (probably too high but ran behind possibly the best oline ever which makes it tough to judge him)

Ask me tomorrow and my list might be different, other than #1

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
OJ Simpson
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson

Honorable mention:
Gale Sayers
Earl Campbell
Marshall Faulk
Ladanian Tomlinson
Bo Jackson (probably top 5 if he didn’t get hurt, he was a baaaaad man)

Will narrow to the best i actually watched (never saw jim brown) and by who i would want for one game. List would be different if it was about career numbers

1. Earl Campbell
2. Walter Payton
3. Barry Sanders
4. Hello Twitter World
5. Emmitt Smith (probably too high but ran behind possibly the best oline ever which makes it tough to judge him)

Ask me tomorrow and my list might be different, other than #1
I had to think about 4 for a sec

Frankly I’m shocked VK lol

I think #1 starts and ends with Bo Jackson and the only argument I see is Jim Brown (however, Brown was a man among boys at the time - as he was with lacrosse)

I think you can make a case that Dupree was close. Anyone putting Emmitt Smith first or even top 5 is WILD

You could also make the case Saquon Barkley is the GOAT already. It sounds crazy but isn't really if you look at his high school and college work. I understand fully that this will be disregarded though.

The title however does not say NFL running back

I cannot edit my last post but the title is clear, it says who is the greatest. Some of the lists in this thread are laughable - most importantly the RetroVK guy. I don't think he read the thread title. It's not who was the best overall, it's who was the best you've seen

You could also make the case Saquon Barkley is the GOAT already. It sounds crazy but isn't really if you look at his high school and college work. I understand fully that this will be disregarded though.

The title however does not say NFL running back

No homer, but lets look at Barry's work before NFL.

Yeah...

Earl Campbell ...period end of conversation
Gayle Sayers
Jim Brown
OJ
Barry Sanders
Larry Csonka - honorable mention

I cannot edit my last post but the title is clear, it says who is the greatest. Some of the lists in this thread are laughable - most importantly the RetroVK guy. I don't think he read the thread title. It's not who was the best overall, it's who was the best you've seen
hmmmm

1) Brown
2) Earl
3) Barry
4) Walter
5) OJ

I didn't see 3 of those play, so I have to go by historical data.
Gayle Sayers and Bo probably get on the top 5 without the injuries.

College that I have actually seen
1) Bo
2) Herschel
3) Dickerson
4) AP
5) Faulk (the non-Kevin one)

I’m not sure you read the thread tile either. Nowhere does it say best “you’ve ever seen.” Good grief.

It says give me your 5 best of all time. I guess you can define “best” however you’d like, but for most it probably means best overall RB of all time.

'Greatest' requires some definition before making a list, and for me, I need to have seen the player play at least a little bit. That relegates Sayers and Brown to the honorable mention list for me. Emmitt also is only honorable mention since he played on arguably the most talented team in NFL history from '92-95. There were probably 3-4 other backs in the league at the time that may have come close to his numbers if they played for Dallas. Therefore:

Payton
Campbell
Sanders (also my favorite rb ever)
OJ
Marshall Faulk (a little Aztec bias I suppose)

My list of course is completely based on NFL career, not college, or Archie Griffin would be on here. Eric Dickerson also has to get honorable mention and I would probably put him at six.

Last edited:
'Greatest' requires some definition before making a list, and for me, I need to have seen the player play at least a little bit. That relegates Sayers and Brown to the honorable mention list for me. Emmitt also is only honorable mention since he played on arguably the most talented team in NFL history from '92-95. There were probably 3-4 other backs in the league at the time that may have come close to his numbers if they played for Dallas. Therefore:

Payton
Campbell
Sanders (also my favorite rb ever)
OJ
Marshall Faulk (a little Aztec bias I suppose)

My list of course is completely based on NFL career, not college, or Archie Griffin would be on here. Eric Dickerson also has to get honorable mention and I would probably put him at six.
Thurmon Thomas has to be one of those RBs that would have thrived in Dallas.

Thurmon Thomas has to be one of those RBs that would have thrived in Dallas.

For sure. Thurman thrived here in Buffalo, and was more talented than Emmitt. He would have put up bigger numbers than Emmitt did, and that shouldn’t be that controversial to say.

Thurman was Marshall Faulk/Curtis Martin/LT/etc before any of those guys played “that” role as a RB.

For sure. Thurman thrived here in Buffalo, and was more talented than Emmitt. He would have put up bigger numbers than Emmitt did, and that shouldn’t be that controversial to say.

Thurman was Marshall Faulk/Curtis Martin/LT/etc before any of those guys played “that” role as a RB.
Thurman gets forgotten about so much. It's still nuts to me that Okie Lite had him and Barry at one point.

Still trying to figure out why Barkley is in here? He never even eclipsed 2000 rush/receiving combined. He's played one year and some of a 2nd in the NFL. Odd stuff.

Back