Giants win protest - how is the wager handled?

chelseafan

Pretty much a regular
Cubs/Giants game last night was called after 4.5 innings - Cubs win game 2-0.

I bet SF - it's a losing wager.

Giants protest the decision and MLB rules in its favor due to a malfunctioning tarp.

The game resumes tomorrow in bottom of 5th.

My thought is the losing wager gets refunded and the wager goes pending again or the losing wager is refunded and bet voided.

What do you guys think will happen?

Most baseball wagers that don't complete the game that day get cancelled/no action. I've had that happen a few times, but never when the result was overturned and the game ordered to be continued. All bets should be cancelled regardless of which side IMO

Most baseball wagers that don't complete the game that day get cancelled/no action. I've had that happen a few times, but never when the result was overturned and the game ordered to be continued. All bets should be cancelled regardless of which side IMO

I would agree. Any bet that was graded will most likely be refunded, or 'taken back' (if you had a win), but I doubt that the wagers will be reinstated and allowed to hinge on the result of the continued game on Thursday. Any game that has been stopped for any reason, and then continued another day has always been simply refunded in the past. It will be interesting to see what happens here....keep up posted chelseafan and let us know what happened to your wager.

My home book's internet results page still lists Chicago having won (meaning that's what they paid out on). In the past they have mistakenly paid out on a bet of mine and hours later deducted that payout from my acct. (how they managed with physical tickets being cashed at their actual outlets, I guess in that instance was just their bad luck), so had they done that in this instance (I have no idea from this angle, I didn't bet on the game) then I'd have expected them for sure to amend their result for that option in the results section (from a Chicago win to either refunded or no result appearing at all in the instance of a re-pending situation). That they haven't amended anything says to me nothing is going to change at this point. Obv. this book doesn't speak for all books, but I think it's a sane/obvious position to take, can see many other books taking the same stance.

Last edited:
Most books have rules in place that protect them from having to "pay out twice" or "lose the game twice". For wagering purposes, most people have graded this game a 2-0 win for the Cubs and that won't change. You can always bitch and complain and I'm sure a bunch of my friends here will have to go through those headaches later today, particularly if the Giants come back to win, but RL and totals bets should be no action, with Cub/Giants ML bets being graded with Cubs as winners. Read the rules of your shop before going off on a claim tangent.

Think there is a timeline, right CKR? Kinda similar to a UFC fight were someone is graded a winner, but later ruled a no contest for whatever reason.....the books still with the original grading.

It actually is a bit confusing.

Almost all books use Las vegas rules.

1. When wagering on the Moneyline the result of a game is official after 5 innings of play, unless the home team is leading after 4.5 innings. If a game is called or suspended, the winner is determined by the score after the last full inning, unless the home team scores to tie or takes the lead in the bottom half of the inning, in which case the winner is determined by the score at the time the game is called. Money will be refunded if the home team ties the game and it is then suspended. Events will not carry over to the following day, unless otherwise specified.

The first part of the rule in red would have you thinking the Cubs win. The 2nd part of the rule in blue would have the game reverting back to the end of the 4th inning since the 5th inning was not completed, in which case, it is a 4 inning game whereby one could argue it's not official. Based upon the orange, ​whatever happens today has no bearing. WHAT IS CLEAR IS THAT MLB'S DECISION ON THE GIANTS' APPEAL HAS NO BEARING ON THE BETTING RESULT.

most baseball wagers that don't complete the game that day get cancelled/no action. I've had that happen a few times, but never when the result was overturned and the game ordered to be continued. All bets should be cancelled regardless of which side imo

with due respect, this is not correct.

This is tougher than I thought.

My site's rule:

"Our office does not recognize postponed games, protests or overturned decisions for wagering purposes. All baseball wagers must go the day written, otherwise there is no action and all money is refunded."

I guess games are official after 4.5 innings if the home team is winning

Last edited:
My site's rule:

"Our office does not recognize postponed games, protests or overturned decisions for wagering purposes. All baseball wagers must go the day written, otherwise there is no action and all money is refunded."

That's confusing too.....the game went....so when it says "must go" it's unclear what that means.....however, there are also rules about suspended games and games called early

I had a 3 team parlay 2 winners and the last part was SF. Once I saw the protest ruling I called 5 dimes and they said game is official at 5 innings and it is in their rules. Nothing can be done. Was hoping they either would cancel the wager or open it back up since the game is being played out. It will really suck if SF comes back and wins and I have a loser... on a winning bet lol
has to be a headache for the books though

My site's rule:

with that wording (must go), there is about a 4 percent chance I wrote that rule in 2007 and someone stole my ruling, lmao again

Back