Giants vs Dodgers Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
All the Ingredients Are There for an 'Under' Between Giants and Dodgers

The Giants host the rival Dodgers Sunday at 5:05 ET to conclude a four-game series. Both teams know each other well, but neither lineup can figure out the opposing starting pitcher.

Los Angeles Dodgers at San Francisco Giants

MLB Pick: First Five 'Under'

Too many bettors make the mistake of looking at a pitcher's ERA and immediately drawing a conclusion as to his form. LA's starting pitcher Kenta Maeda (2-1, 3.10 ERA) is a strong example of why this is a mistake.

Poor fortune has victimized Maeda. His opponents are managing a ridiculous .434 BABIP, meaning that an unsustainably high proportion of batted balls are finding their way to become a hit. For instance, the rate at which Maeda is allowing in-field hits is more than twice as high as his career average. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is an excellent 1.80. His stuff has been fantastic, producing more than four strikeouts per nine innings than last year. He is throwing in the zone more frequently but hitters are less able to make contact with his pitches. Maeda is inducing them to swing at pitches outside the zone and they are swinging-and-missing at more of his pitches. Maeda's command likewise indicates improvement and he is allowing one fewer home run per nine innings than last season.

He owes his 13.72 K/9 rate partly to his strong performance against the Giants on March 31st, in which he struck out ten batters in five shutout innings.

Maeda worked hard to improve his pitching arsenal. He elevated his slider's whiff rate by 20% from last year by killing its vertical movement. Vertical movement can hurt a slider because it makes the pitch easier for hitters to track. In turn, he gave his slider greater horizontal movement so that it "slides" more. Maeda also changed the look of his cutter, which has less vertical movement and more horizontal movement or more "cut." Opponents' slugging percentage against his slider is down .116 from last season. Overall, Maeda's pitch velocity is stronger as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ty Blach (1-3, 4.31 ERA) counters for the Giants. The southpaw has faced the Dodgers many times throughout last season. He only did poorly against them late in the season when the Dodgers finally learned to hit left-handed pitchers. We are seeing the same trend. Last season, Blach allowed only five runs in his first 19 innings pitched against the Dodgers. This season, Blach has allowed one run in 11 innings pitched against them.

The Dodgers are averaging less than three runs in their last three games against left-handed pitchers. Their struggles against southpaws have been consistent. On the season, they're hitting .211 against southpaw starters and .229 against southpaws overall. One could even say that their batting numbers against left-handed pitchers are inflated because they got to face a left-handed Padre reliever who was making his first start of the season and they absolutely shelled him because it is extremely tough for a pitcher to transition out of the bullpen.

Active LA batters are hitting .219 against Blach with only one home run in 114 at-bats. Two of their top hitters are left-handed batters and match-up poorly with Blach, against whom lefties are hitting only .200. Cody Bellinger, for example, is hitting .156 against lefties and has never managed an extra-base hit in 12 at-bats against Blach. Corey Seager, another lefty, is hitting .235 against southpaws and .222 in 18 carer at-bats vs Blach. Seager, like the relatively dangerous hitter Matt Kemp, is battling injury.

These teams are playing a doubleheader today (Saturday) so both bullpens are apt to get used up. Neither starter likes to pitch deep into games so I am sticking to a 'First Five' play.

Article up early per the weekend norm. Earlier than usual even because I got packing to start on and a term paper auf Deutsch to start on as well :)

Last edited:
Hoping this is last of Ty Blach that I get assigned because I am sick of that guy! Couldn't go full game cause have no idea what will happen with bullpen usage today. Had no feel for what odds would be tbh. I definitely wanted to play a FF total and I think under is definitely the way to go!

Blach beat Clayton Kershaw 1-0 on Opening Day in Los Angeles, throwing five shutout innings. But he hasn't won since, including a no-decision when he faced the Dodgers in a rematch with Kershaw 10 days later in San Francisco, allowing one run in six innings in a 2-1 loss.
The 27-year-old has faced the Dodgers nine times in his career, including six times as a starter. He's gone 3-2 with a 1.90 ERA.
The Dodgers will go for the series split with right-hander Kenta Maeda (1-3, 4.31), who has been brilliant in his career against the Giants at home, and equally awful on the road.
Maeda beat the Giants 5-0 with five shutout innings in Los Angeles in the third game of the season, giving the Dodgers their first win of the year.
He's 4-1 overall with a 4.40 ERA in seven games, including six starts, against the Giants, but 0-1 with a 12.15 ERA in three games (two starts) in San Francisco.
The 30-year-old has made one start in San Francisco in each of the last two seasons, allowing a total of nine runs and 13 hits in just 5 2/3 innings in those games.

Cool i didn‘t know GameHunter stopped by, he‘s a great follow on Twitter (downside he’s a Cubs guy) and his betting manifesto is required reading really for all sports, I try to apply it to my picks

The sample size was too small to justify a fade on Maeda plus he‘s been putting up such great deeper numbers this year compared to last. But keeping this performance in mind...

I think in the article you should have mentioned that he had been hit hard at SF in the past and then if you opted for under instead of side they would be making an informed choice

I think in the article you should have mentioned that he had been hit hard at SF in the past and then if you opted for under instead of side they would be making an informed choice

Problem is word count. Im limited to 600 and I cant keep taking up space with points that contradict pick, which also makes me seem less confident. I think pick was informed even if it didnt hit! I totally had good justification for discounting his poor past in SF without knowing its current extent as I now do...also, I mean, I get why he struggles at Zona’s hitter-friendly Chase Field but whats so special about Giants ballpark?

Lol well I pushed at the opening number and if you got 4.5 then it won so really not worth making a thing over the article

Back